If Fates had Lunatic+...

This may sound like I'm asking for a world of hurt, but I wonder what it would be like if Fates had Lunatic+ (especially for Conquest!). Any thoughts?

I'd probably give up playing like I did after Chapter 3 in Awakening.

Edited by Douglas MacArthur

Would anyone even be able to beat Conquest at L+ ? :P

Considering if L+ would be like l+ in FE:A we would have another RNG-Emblem, if it would be made better like fixed skills on the enemy I could maybe fun, if you like to cry a lot^^

If Fates had Lunatic +, enemy skills such a Staff Savant and bold stance would appear early in the game instead of in late chapters. Also, chapter 10 of Conquest would be almost to impossible without insane grinding, purchasing skills from logbook, and tonics. It would require tons of RNG for it.

Edited by Xaddgx

Staffs like entrap and/or freeze on C10...

Skills which prevent the reduced stats from regenarating during the chapter

poison whiich reduces your HP every turn

There are quite a few things to think of ^^

Wound be kinda fun to watch someone doing it from a safe distance

I'd like them to keep the general stats from lunatic and just add more skills. It's kind of annoying that even late most enemies have one skill at most, and it's either totally irrelevant or the one thing you have to anticipate about them, like the wary fighter arbitrarily on the dark knights in Velouria's paralogue.

An Awakening-style Lunatic+ probably wouldn't work all that well in Fates—especially Conquest, where Lunatic is very precisely designed to be a puzzle of sorts. It largely worked with Awakening due to the enemies being zerg-rush suicide bombers who often had class skills of little-to-no consequence (major exceptions for Gamble and Zeal) and the random skills changed them from just big old wads of stats to mini-bosses. While it could probably translate to some extent to Birthright and Revelation, the purely random assignment would be too disruptive to Conquest. It would run the risk of making formations super ridiculous or little different from their original form. I'm thinking that, ideally, they'd retool it to have different formations.

That is, let's say we've got a formation of 4 guys would cover each other well with 1~2-range weapons and, in Lunatic, form a Lunge chain. Lunatic+ might add something like Immobilize and Certain Blow to them and call that Formation A. Formation B might have the closest unit be a General/Basara armed with a Venge Naginata, Aegis+, Pavise+ and Grizly Wound while his buddies all come with Aggressor and a weaponfaire. Formation A would be all about either having a very strong tank that can take multiple rounds of abuse or overwhelming offense such that the rest of the team can rush in and save the tank once the enemy has been baited (similar to how many Lunge chains work in vanilla). Formation B would have enemies with strong EP offense, but are weaker and more vulnerable to getting picked off on PP, making them a priority target. However, the enemy has a scary tank of its own, so there would be a big emphasis on positioning if the player can't off both the enemy offense and that tank on the same PP. The files could also have configurations for a Formation C, maybe even a Formation D. Then, at map start, every enemy formation on the map would pick a random configuration. This would allow the map to be different every time without getting too crazy about stuff, yet forcing the player to have an answer to multiple enemy strategies.

This could even allow for some really weird setups that might look weaker at first, but are really dangerous if left unchecked, such as Master Ninja with only Brass Shuriken, but also Shurikenfaire and Inevitable End. It would be far less brutal than the setups that bring Silver Shuriken in vanilla Lunatic, but getting hit by a full formation of 4 guys would end in -4 Skl, -4 Spd and -8 Def, which is more threatening than Seal Def, a bit less threatening than Seal Spd and directly affects the unit's ability to fight back via losing Hit.

Or we could go for something really weird, and have a formation in a relatively safe part of the map being able to generate entirely as a support formation. Say, 4 Strategists or Maids/Butlers with Staff Savant and Recover. This would make strong damage output on PP against nearby formations nearly essential as anything done during the EP baiting (short of killing them) would be entirely negated.

Depending on what actually happens by "Lunatic+".

Birthright and Revelations L+ (not necessarily a walk in the park, but still doable, similar to FE13 L) seem to be ok, but it'd be fairly easy to make unwinnable situations I'd think, so they would need more specialized changes rather than blanket changes. The stat line should probably be the same, but even weapon changes (unlikely perhaps? Forged weapons are debatable) could prove to be too unstable. If they were to simply slap Vantage+/Luna+/Hawkeye, it'd start to get ridiculous quite quickly, moreso with Counter and the changes to ranged weapons, even without counterbombs. A more varied approach would be better I'd think...though it might not really fit the definition of "Lunatic+"

For Conquest, the main thing I find is that making it even more difficult on top of the existing difficulty would be rather crazy.

By themselves, Vantage+/Luna+/Hawkeye seem ok, but when you add it to the already existing skillset/enemy positioning/weapons, it's very easy to create huge difficulty and what not.

It's not impossible, but even with the changes, it feels like it'd be quite difficult. On the other hand, if the changes are too minimal (simply slapping Vantage+ plus Hawkeye, etc,) then it'd be quite boring, even if it's challenging...though it's hard to tell right now.

The thing is, recklessly handing out staves, the new enemy only skills, etc, would probably make the early and even lategame too difficult.

Why not reverse Lunatic (or how was it called), where the enemies ALWAYS attacks first (besides when your Vantage activates ofcourse)?

I like this idea. Conquest Lunatic gets easy after the first time you play it. It would become much harder, but it would definitely be possible.

Honestly, I just liked the hilariously broken enemy skills in Lunatic+. The idea of Luna or Pavise always activating, even though it was enemy exclusive, was cool.

Lunatic+ in Fates sounds a little scary, especially since you don't have a Frederick-like unit in the beginning. And, well, Lunatic+ Conquest...