My First Fire Emblem Playthrough Ever! (Discontinued...for now)

Yes you did indeed read the title of this topic correctly, I have never played a Fire Emblem game. I've wanted to play one for a while now and so I asked one of my friends whcih game I should start with. He originally replied with FE7, but then changed his decision to FE8 which is what I'll be playing through. I must start off with saying that I do know most of the basic things about Fire Emblem like the weapon triangle, which stats do what, and that I should "Share the experience" as my friend calls it. Any questions I ask about the story are completely my own thoughts and I do not want answers to them.

Any tips or suggestions on how to play the game or which characters I should use would be greatly appreciated.

I will be playing Fire Emblem Sacred Stones on Normal difficulty.

post-25739-0-81233000-1469052388_thumb.pngI'm not sure if this usual Fire Emblem stats, but holy crud look at those stats! (I probably sound like the biggest noob ever)

post-25739-0-69925500-1469052389_thumb.pngDespite Seth having good stats I used Eirika the entire Prologue Map and I managed to KO everyone with her.

post-25739-0-23936400-1469052390_thumb.png She got a critical on the very first boss and destroyed him immediately.

post-25739-0-74231000-1469052390_thumb.pngThis seems like a good level up to me. Hopefully I'm not wrong.

And this was my entire Fire Emblem Sacred Stones Prologue Chapter in a nutshell. I don't have much to say on the story since it currently seems pretty generic, but my friend has told me it gets better, so I shall listen. Thank you for reading and hopefully I don't get everyone horribly dead and maimed.

Edited by Doctor Phoenix

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seth is an amazing unit. He has good bases AND growths, and can solo the entire game with little trouble. Eirika starts off a bit weak but quickly becomes great.

EDIT: And yes, that was a pretty decent level for Eirika, though you'll want her to start getting strength soon since her base is so low.

Edited by Matthewtheman

Seth is an amazing unit. He has good bases AND growths, and can solo the entire game with little trouble. Eirika starts off a bit weak but quickly becomes great.

EDIT: And yes, that was a pretty decent level for Eirika, though you'll want her to start getting strength soon since her base is so low.

That's good to know. Can you explain what growths are or link me a page with an in-depth explanation?

I got a bit impatient and started the first chapter immediately after starting this Topic, so here we go.

Although I was unimpressed with the prologue's introduction to the story, this first chapter left me with some questions. Like are Ephraim and Tana a thing? She seemed a bit more concerned than the average Princess. Is King Fado really dead? It seems suspicious that the writers would kill him off so soon in the story, but I could be wrong.

post-25739-0-16533000-1469054405_thumb.png I really like Franz and his kind of shy personality.

post-25739-0-21327100-1469054414_thumb.png Gilliam on the other hand looks more like a dwarf than a respectable soldier in combat. However I probably will end up using him for a while.

post-25739-0-37711600-1469054419_thumb.png post-25739-0-67380400-1469054433_thumb.png These were Franz's two level up thanks to him absolutely demolishing the reinforcements.

post-25739-0-97292000-1469054423_thumb.png post-25739-0-47451800-1469054438_thumb.png And Eirika got some strength! Woot!

This chapter wasn't all that hard thanks to Eirika's rapier, but I assume that things are about to pick up and I won't be having such a happy go lucky time.

That's good to know. Can you explain what growths are or link me a page with an in-depth explanation?

Sure. Growths are the chance a unit has of gaining a given stat upon leveling up. For example, Seth has a 90% HP growth, so whenever he levels up, his HP has a 90% chance of increasing by one. This site has a list of everyone's growths in Sacred Stones here:

http://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/characters/growth-rates/

P.S. Since you're a noob, you probably should have picked easy mode. It's exactly the same as Normal mode except it has tutorials specifically meant for newcomer such as yourself. You've only done the prologue so far, which is super short anyway, so it's not too late to start over on Easy.

Sure. Growths are the chance a unit has of gaining a given stat upon leveling up. For example, Seth has a 90% HP growth, so whenever he levels up, his HP has a 90% chance of increasing by one. This site has a list of everyone's growths in Sacred Stones here:

http://serenesforest.net/the-sacred-stones/characters/growth-rates/

P.S. Since you're a noob, you probably should have picked easy mode. It's exactly the same as Normal mode except it has tutorials specifically meant for newcomer such as yourself. You've only done the prologue so far, which is super short anyway, so it's not too late to start over on Easy.

Thank you for the link and the short explanation!

I prefer a challenge when I play games and plus I just discovered the Guide option which stores all the tutorials.

I'm gonna put my comments in red

I got a bit impatient and started the first chapter immediately after starting this Topic, so here we go.

Although I was unimpressed with the prologue's introduction to the story, this first chapter left me with some questions. Like are Ephraim and Tana a thing? She seemed a bit more concerned than the average Princess. Is King Fado really dead? It seems suspicious that the writers would kill him off so soon in the story, but I could be wrong.

attachicon.gifFire Emblem - the Sacred Stones # GBA_03.png I really like Franz and his kind of shy personality.

Franz is a good unit, but almost entirely outclassed by Seth.

attachicon.gifFire Emblem - the Sacred Stones # GBA_04.png Gilliam on the other hand looks more like a dwarf than a respectable soldier in combat. However I probably will end up using him for a while.

Gilliam's a pretty typical armor knight: slow and defensive. I prefer using Amelia, but she does require a bit of level grinding to get up to par due to joining underleveled with poor bases, but she does great in the Knight->General line. Just note that while Knight->General is the best promotion path for Amelia statistically, her growths are not suited for tanking and as such you shouldn't use her as one. Gilliam's probably better if you want a unit to tank.

attachicon.gifFire Emblem - the Sacred Stones # GBA_06.png attachicon.gifFire Emblem - the Sacred Stones # GBA_09.png These were Franz's two level up thanks to him absolutely demolishing the reinforcements.

attachicon.gifFire Emblem - the Sacred Stones # GBA_07.png attachicon.gifFire Emblem - the Sacred Stones # GBA_12.png And Eirika got some strength! Woot!

This chapter wasn't all that hard thanks to Eirika's rapier, but I assume that things are about to pick up and I won't be having such a happy go lucky time.

Don't try to overuse the Rapier. You only get one more, and that's only if you pick Eirika's route. Overall, this FE is generally considered one of the easier ones, even on its highest difficulty, but it still has some maps that will likely prove challenging for a newcomer like yourself.

Vanessa and Moulder are both pretty useful.

Oh, and as far as the Ephraim/Tana thing goes, Tana has a crush on Ephraim, but it's up to the player whether or not he hooks up with her. I usually pair them together myself.

Vanessa and Moulder are both pretty useful.

Oh, and as far as the Ephraim/Tana thing goes, Tana has a crush on Ephraim, but it's up to the player whether or not he hooks up with her. I usually pair them together myself.

Through Supports right? My friend gave me a huge list of supports and what they do, so I'm good there :D

Oooooooh. It's not everyday you see someone's first time experience with the series. While Sacred Stones isn't one of my favorites, I do think it is a good starting point to jump into the series with. I hope you enjoy playing through it!

Also, welcome to SF!

Onwards to the next chapter! I start off the chapter by taking a look at Moulder and Vanessa like Feldmarschall suggested and it was a good idea.

post-25739-0-10238300-1469063173_thumb.png My very royal priest who can heal all my units. Definitely don't want to let this guy die XD

post-25739-0-00119100-1469063177_thumb.png Pegasus Knight? Very crud defense and resistance, but that speed is amazing!

We set off for Ide in Eirika's search for her brother Ephraim! Where apparently Seth has laid out a route for us to take which is weird considering he's always apologizing for overstepping his boundaries, but then immediately does something Eirika should have been a part of. Vanessa decides to scout ahead which is a horrible idea in any universe.

And wouldn't you know it! Bandits! The village holding Ross and his father are destroyed immediately which I thought was pretty excessive, but oh well.

​Turn 1:

​​~I send Vanessa to rescue Ross

​~Eirika and the rest of the team excluding Seth start moving South to engage the Bandits

~Meanwhile I send Seth to start talking with the villages in order to get some items

​~Garcia is attacked, but retaliates nearly killing him

​~Garcia then moves to the fort and throws a handaxe at the Bandit killing him

​

Turn 2:

​~Seth moves in to the first village and encounters a suspicious looking women who gives him a Red Gem

​~Vanessa drops Ross where Moulder can easily heal him for +10 Hp

​~I move Franz, Eirika and Gilliam to the front lines where Eirika buys an Iron Sword

​~A Bandit moves in to attack Franz, but he dodges and in turn kills the Bandit easily

​~Garcia then brutally murders an archer

​~Reinforcements Arrive

​Turn 3:

~Eirika talks to Ross which ends up recruiting him

​post-25739-0-52342400-1469064835_thumb.png Ross seems really meh. Is there any reason I should be training him?

​​~Franz then moves up to block the reinforcements in for the next turn

~Seth talks to the last village and it seems as though maybe Ephraim stopped by, but none the less she gave him an Elixir

~Franz gets attacked, but it misses and he hits back for 8 damage

~Ross gets hit for 10 damage by the Bandit that suddenly moved a miles length XD

Turn 4:

​~Moulder heals Ross...again

~Franz kills one of the Cutthroats

~Vanessa nearly kills a Bandit, but Ross sweeps in with his hatchet misses horribly

~Gilliam then kills the bandit

~The Boss starts to head towards the village to the South

Turn 5:

​~Vanessa visits the village by flying over the mountains and receives a Pure Water?

~Franz kills the last of the Reinforcements and receives a level

post-25739-0-46521500-1469069251_thumb.png Pretty bad...

~Ross gets hit for -10 Damage, but does 6 in return

~Moulder then heals Ross

~Ross gets attack, but it thankfully misses and in turn he delivers another 6 damage which gives him his first level

post-25739-0-89833900-1469069455_thumb.png Really awesome!

~The Boss attacks Eirika, she thankfully dodges and delivers -18 damage

Turn 6:

​~Ross gets the KO on the Boss giving him an entire level!

post-25739-0-57173000-1469069665_thumb.png Pretty bad, but the last one makes up for it.

~Vanessa then gets her first KO by killing the last Bandit ending the battle part of the Chapter

Garcia gives me his life story as he apparently used to be a great warrior, but retired to be with his son. His son convinces him to join and then joins himself. Some old dude comes to thank us and ends up warning Eirika not to lose that bracelet since there are many thieves around. And a group called Bazba's Bandits are apparently the worse of them. Eirika then has a flashback to Ephraim teaching her how to fight and beginning her training to defend herself. Then a thief comes by and steals her bracelet XD. Does she not know how to take advice? Seth apparently is getting very sentimental over the bracelet and declares that they must get it!

I really loved this chapter and see the bracelet being very important later on and probably a plot device, but we'll see. Also I'm not all that fond of Garcia, but seeing as how he's a better Axe user than Ross at the moment I think he deserves the benefit of the doubt.

post-25739-0-67196700-1469070240_thumb.png

Edited by Doctor Phoenix

Oooooooh. It's not everyday you see someone's first time experience with the series. While Sacred Stones isn't one of my favorites, I do think it is a good starting point to jump into the series with. I hope you enjoy playing through it!

Also, welcome to SF!

Thank you! Yeah it's very exciting playing through for my first time and getting to play a whole different game to ones I'm used to. I'm thinking that after Sacred Stones I'll play through the next game in the series which I know nothing of.

The thing about Ross is that he starts at a lower class than normal units. So while most can promote once, Ross gets 10 extra levels and an extra promotion as well. He's nothing special growths-wise, but the extra leveling room helps him, so he's often worth training.

Welcome to SF! Hope you have a pleasant experience with the forums and the game series.

Imo, Ross is worth leveling up because he ends up with pretty good strength. Like Blaze The Great said, those extra 10 levels help out quite a bit. Ross also has access to a class that isn't available to Garcia as well.

Welcome to SF! Hey. It's one of the easier FE's so nice choice. :)

So I see that you're uploading the pics through SF itself but I would recommend to upload the pics to an image host then post them here as images. That way, the pics will be a good size instead of people having to click on them to enlarge them. And if you end up having a lot of images (the max on a post is 100), you can put them in a spoiler so the post remains short and clean.

As for unit choices... I'm admittedly not versed in FE8 since it's not my most favorite but I hear Franz and Ross are good.

Tbh, I'm not fond of Garcia or Ross. They're both too slow for my tastes.

Vanessa generally ends up worse than Tana, but she has much better availability.

The thing about Ross is that he starts at a lower class than normal units. So while most can promote once, Ross gets 10 extra levels and an extra promotion as well. He's nothing special growths-wise, but the extra leveling room helps him, so he's often worth training.

Interesting. I'll be sure to keep him around.

Welcome to SF! Hope you have a pleasant experience with the forums and the game series.

Imo, Ross is worth leveling up because he ends up with pretty good strength. Like Blaze The Great said, those extra 10 levels help out quite a bit. Ross also has access to a class that isn't available to Garcia as well.

Thus far it's been great! No problems here. A lot of Ross love XD

Use Ross. He can use a class only one other person has, and do it better to boot.

I'll be sure to check him out!

Welcome to SF! Hey. It's one of the easier FE's so nice choice. :)

So I see that you're uploading the pics through SF itself but I would recommend to upload the pics to an image host then post them here as images. That way, the pics will be a good size instead of people having to click on them to enlarge them. And if you end up having a lot of images (the max on a post is 100), you can put them in a spoiler so the post remains short and clean.

As for unit choices... I'm admittedly not versed in FE8 since it's not my most favorite but I hear Franz and Ross are good.

Thank you!

I'll see what I can do, but admittedly I'm not all that great with computers so it might take me a while to get a hang of.

Thank you everyone who is giving me support and tips! It is greatly appreciated and helps out a lot!

Alright then! Chapter 3 is a go!

Story: Eirika and the gang are in hot pursuit after the thief that stole Eirika's bracelet. And apparently our chase leads to the Bazba's Bandits hideout coincidently. Eirika being the nice person she is decides to find the stronghold and destroy it. Seth managed to get information by probably punching Babies or something, but nonetheless his information leads us to the stronghold. But before we can leave some girl runs up and asks that we go save Colm. We figure out the name of the girl and it's Neimi! And apparently her village called Lark was destroyed by Bandits and Colm went to go steal her stuff back. Neimi leads the way thanks to Eirika's kindness and once again we're off! We make it there and Neimi joins the squad with her Bow! And the battle begins.

post-25739-0-93816900-1469126160_thumb.png Not very good stats for Neimi. Please tell me she'll have two promotions like Ross?

Battle:

​Turn 1:

​~Neimi is the first to attack and does so by attacking the guy behind the wall

~Moulder is moved one space up to stay out of the way

~Ross begins chipping the second wall leading to the chest and Seth finishes the wall off

~I put Vanessa in front of everyone else, so she can perhaps get attacked by the Bandit

~post-25739-0-86031900-1469126187_thumb.png This was the formation before putting Franz behind Eirika

~The Bandit to the South does -8 damage to Vanessa, but she does 10 in return

~And that's when the Thief (Presumably Colm) shows up

~Colm then opens the door leading to all the chests

Turn 2:

​~Neimi talks to Colm and recruits him thankfully post-25739-0-22211600-1469122352_thumb.png Not bad.

~Vanesa takes out her first Bandit and gets a chest key

~Moulder heals Vanessa for +14 Hp

~Seth gets rid of the second wall

~Garcia throws his handaxe from close range, but misses horribly

~Ross then attacks the Bandit with his Hatchet and does -15

~Eirika and Franz both move up North to help out Colm and Vanessa in getting the three chests

~Colm supports with Neimi getting the first support in the playthrough

So after Colm insults Neimi for a little bit their Support level increases post-25739-0-73725600-1469126215_thumb.png

~The Bandit attacks Garcia, but this time Garcia actually hits and kills the Bandit taking the experience away from Ross and got a door key for it!

Turn 3:

~Vanessa attacks the thief through the wall and nearly kills, but instead gets a level!

post-25739-0-46913600-1469122218_thumb.png Wow Vanessa. Just wow.

~Moulder heals Vanessa for +2

~Moved everyone in range except for Neimi to take out the bandit protecting the chests

~The Bandit attacks Colm, but he misses and Colm attacks him for 16 damage

Turn 4:

~Vanessa finishes off the thief easily and Moulder begins to try and catch up

~Neimi kills the bandit that attacked Colm

~Colm loots the first chest and receives an Iron Lance

~A Bandit with a Handaxe attacks Vanessa and hits her for 7 damage! Thankfully, she did 7 in return with her Javelin

Turn 5:

~Moulder heals Vanessa again...

~Vanessa flies off to rejoin the rest of the gang

~Colm loots the second chest and receives a Handaxe

~Everyone moves into position by the door

Turn 7:

~Colm loots the last chest and gets an Iron Sword which we have to send to storage

~Garcia open the door and Ross gets in front of everyone to receive some experience

~The Bandit with the handaxe moves up and attacks Ross, but he easily dodges and hits the Bandit for 8 damage

~The Archer moves forward and past the bandit attacking Garcia! Garcia gets hit for 5, but does 11 damage in return

Turn 8:

~Ross kills the archer and gets a level up

post-25739-0-86830500-1469123582_thumb.png What is it with these horrible levels?

~Colm then comes in and finishes the bandit

~Eirika, Franz, and Neimi move into the room to confront the bandits

~One of the Bandits with a Steel Axe comes in and attacks Franz, but Franz doubles the bandit and kills him

~The last Bandit in the room attacks Eirika, but misses by a long shot

Turn 9:

~Eirika chips down the bandit with her Iron Sword

~Neimi then comes in and kills the Bandit

Now all that remains is Bazba and his Mercenary

~Vanessa, Ross, Franz, and Colm begin the baiting of the Mercenary

~However nothing happens

Turn 10:

~I move everyone a little forward and Moulder heals Garcia completely

~The Mercenary finally attacks Colm! He does 6 damage and Colm does the same.

​Turn 11:

~Colm steals the Mercenary's Antitoxen after trading with Eirika to reveal some space in his inventory

~Ross then managed to do 6 damage to the Mercenary from afar

~The Bandit attacks Colm and does another 6 damage! Colm however manage to kill the Bandit easily receiving a level up

post-25739-0-09846000-1469124449_thumb.png Finally a good level up!

Turn 12:

~Franz moves in to bait the Boss for this turn while everyone stays back

~Franz receives 10 Damage from Bazba, but does 10 damage in return

Turn 13:

~Neimi attacks, but misses horribly

~Vanessa attacks, but misses

~Franz manages to do 10 more damage

~Eirika then kills the boss with her Iron Sword ending the map

post-25739-0-70565600-1469124863_thumb.png Eirika did get a level up and it was a pretty dang good one.

Story: Colm continues to be a jerk to Neimi, but Colm and Neimi have a moment after Colm reveals that he managed to get Neimi's mirror back. Seth frisks Colm and acquires Eirika's bracelet back from Colm. Colm pleads to Seth that they let him and Neimi join officially which he said would ask Eirika about. Seth gives Eirika her bracelet and she gives us the bracelet's life story and that apparently Ephraim has one identical to it. Also Seth never asks Eirika if Colm and Neimi could travel with them, but they end up coming anyways. Meanwhile three Generals of Grado talk about how they don't understand why they are attacking Renais. The King calls for them and the three go inside the chamber. The King explains that because the three Generals sucked he hired three more to compensate. We have Toad who looks utterly disgusting, Cool Guy McGee who for some reason has the hots for Bad General 2, and then we have Moonstone who has the only name I could remember and for some reason he has beef with Bad General 3. The Generals pair up and are sent on their separate assignments.

Chapter Review: I really loved this chapter. It gave so many options and branching pathways for all the troops. I nearly lost Colm due to my idiotic mistakes at the end there. Probably wasn't as hard as I made it, but with crud level ups it got pretty intense. I'm really glad I didn't have to use the Rapier for this map at all, since apparently I only get one. I'm sorry I don't remember all the General's names, but this was all post me playing it and I'm using the notes that I wrote down and I neglected to write most of their names. A really long chapter and hopefully worth it! Colm seems to be a unit I'm going to want to train a lot, but Neimi on the other hand kind of feels redundant considering there's Handaxes and Javelins. Should I use Neimi? Give up on training Vanessa?

This chapter should've been where you trained Ross. There are a lot of walls that you can exploit with Ross's 1-2 Hatchet and kill things, especially with Moulder's healing. Neimi doesn't have 2 promotions, but I think she has pretty good growths. Her bases are bad, but she gets better if you have your stronger characters go first. Her supports with Colm make her even stronger.