My First Fire Emblem Playthrough Ever! (Discontinued...for now)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to summarize what happened in the battle, since most of you probably know the story.

~Ross reached lvl 10

~Lute, Artur, Vanessa, Colm, Eirika, and Franz each got one or more levels

~Recruited Joshua and Natasha

~Nobody died

~Doubled our money in the arena thanks to Franz

~Got Dragonshield, Secret Book, Armorslayer and the last house was destroyed before I could get to it

Chapter Review: It was really difficult and it made me actually strategize, so I didn't get someone I liked killed. For those wondering the two deaths the first time around were Vanessa and Franz thanks to a critical from an archer and the Arena. The story got more interesting, but I couldn't really focus on it since I was fighting for my favorite's lives XD.

What do I do with Ross now? Now that he's level 10 what's the next step I mean.

Next chapter (after the next one, because you control Ephraim's crew in the next one), he will be given the option to promote into a Pirate or a Fighter. I generally go Pirate -> Berserker with him myself.

As far as the units you gained in chapter 5, Natasha is a very good healer, but I like Moulder better, even though Natasha's probably the better one as a unit. (Moulder at least has better con and a higher starting weapon rank thought).

Joshua's a good unit, but inferior to Eirika for the most part.

Next chapter (after the next one, because you control Ephraim's crew in the next one), he will be given the option to promote into a Pirate or a Fighter. I generally go Pirate -> Berserker with him myself.

As far as the units you gained in chapter 5, Natasha is a very good healer, but I like Moulder better, even though Natasha's probably the better one as a unit. (Moulder at least has better con and a higher starting weapon rank thought).

Joshua's a good unit, but inferior to Eirika for the most part.

Hmmmm Ephraim eh? That'll be cool! I'll do some research on which promotion is the one I want.

I'm don't care too much for either, but I can see me using Natasha more, since she has more supports with later units.

That's kind of disappointing. I guess I'll pocket that Killing Edge into Eirika's inventory then.

Joshua is good to fill a slot if you don't have a lot of sword users. Also, next chapter can be used for training Ephraim or his cavaliers. Avoid using Orson if at all possible.

Will do. Orson bad. Ephraim good. My friend accidently spoiled the Orson reveal, so woops XD

I'm going head first into the next Chapter! Chapter 5x Unbroken Heart. Not much preparation, since it's I'm viewing everything from Ephraim's point of view.

Story: Valter kicks an armored knight off the throne at Renvall and proceeds to make nefarious plans to catch Prince Ephraim. We cut to Ephraim masking Forde how much supplies we have left. We find out that they are running out of weapons and are low on food. Forde suggests that they get help, but Ephraim smacks down his hopes and dreams by replying that they can't involve innocents. Forde then states "That is why we've stayed with you for this long." Ephraim believes too much in his father after Kyle tells him that the Capital has fallen. The lying conniving jerk Orson arrives on the scene asking what he can do to help. Ephraim announces that they'll capture Renvall and Forde questions his sanity in the politest way possible. Ephraim ignores him and charges the Fort! The battle has begun.

Ephraim:post-25739-0-53229600-1469208196_thumb.png

Kyle:post-25739-0-37245300-1469208192_thumb.png

Forde:post-25739-0-27929400-1469208208_thumb.png

Orson:post-25739-0-62154700-1469208187_thumb.png

Battle:

​Turn 1:

~Moving everyone in to lure except Orson who I just have waiting

~One of the soldiers attacks Ephraim and manages to do 5 Damage, but Ephraim kills him in return

​Turn 2:

~Ephraim kills another soldier

~Forde gets attacked for 3 damage by the Archer

Turn 3:

~Forde and Ephraim kill the Myrmidon

~Kyle chips down the Archer

~Ephraim and gets attacked by the Archer and the axe wielder bringing him down to 3 Hp

post-25739-0-25856600-1469208769_thumb.png Ephraim got a level out of it.

​Turn 4:

~Kyle kills the Archer

~Forde chips down the Armor Knight

~Ephraim heals himself with an elixir

​Turn 5:

~Forde kills the Dark Mage with a Javelin

Turn 6:

​​~Ephraim opens the door leading to the chest area

~Forde and Kyle kill the Mage inside and Forde gets a Chest Key and a Level

post-25739-0-55647200-1469209208_thumb.png Not a good level, but oh well

~Forde dodges an attack from the Soldier and does 13 in return

​Turn 7:

~Forde unlocks a chest and gets an Elixir while Kyle kills the soldier and gets the second chest key

~Ephraim moves just out of range of the Axe Soldier

​Turn 8:

~We wait one more turn so that Kyle can get the Killer Lance

~The Soldier attacks Ephraim, but he dodges and kills the soldier in return

​Turn 9:

~Everyone moved forward

​Turn 10:
​~Ephraim gets attacked by the Cavalier and the Archer. He manages to kill the Cavalier

post-25739-0-46395800-1469209870_thumb.png Ephraim got a level!

​Turn 11:

~Kyle kills the Archer and gets a level

post-25739-0-82416600-1469209873_thumb.png Really?

​Turn 12:

~Ephraim chips down an Armor Knight and then kills him

Nothing happens for the next 3 turns except Kyle killing three soldiers and not getting a level.

~Ephraim moves in to face Cavalry

~Ephraim kills the two Cavaliers and gets a level up!

post-25739-0-24191200-1469210302_thumb.png Another great level for Ephraim!

Turn ???:

~The team separates into two sides and begin mowing through the opposition easily

post-25739-0-94560200-1469210552_thumb.png At some point he got a level. Yay...

post-25739-0-63983800-1469210742_thumb.png Ephraim also got some more good stats

post-25739-0-41114200-1469210974_thumb.pngpost-25739-0-76679000-1469210974_thumb.png More levels!

~post-25739-0-55356800-1469211052_thumb.png His first level (I think)

~Ephraim killed the boss and then seized. THE END!

There was two more levels I didn't show because it would've been too long, but they were for Kyle and Ephraim.

Chapter Review: I really loved this chapter! It was obviously a trap from the moment we entered, but I loved the story as well! Ephraim, Kyle, and Forde are all really unique characters and I love the differences between them. Now that I'm done praising it let me give you the bad. Orson was probably the worst thing about this chapter. He just sat in the corner and didn't do anything which I felt was a waste. He was also predictable to be the traitor. Besides that I really did have fun and hope I get to use Ephraim, Forde, and Kyle in the coming chapters.

I just realized that the last house is one of the more important ones, as it contains a Torch I think, which means you might have to use precious funds to buy a torch staff.

What does the torch staff do? There was nothing I could've done besides bringing Seth which I don't want to do, since he's promoted.

Just a heads up, you can quote multiple posts in one singular post. Just in case you didn't know, so that you won't necessarily have to make as many posts and you can compress stuff a bit.

Indeed I do know. Those posts were separate since while I was writing the first reply the second post came in. In other words MOVIE MAGIC.

Instead of shoving Orson in the corner, you could've stripped his inventory and baited enemies to kill him. Ephraim would appreciate having that Silver. And Torch staves are staves that are sold at vendors. You need a torch or torch staff for the next chapter because it has Fog of War like Chapter 4. Also, it's highly recommended you field Colm also, if you didn't know that thieves can dissipate Fog of War.

Well, just because Joshua is inferior to Eirika doesn't mean you need to bench him entirely. He does get some extra plot in chapters 14 and 15 of Eirika's route, you seem to be using Franz despite him being utterly outclassed by Seth. I usually do bench him in no-grind runs though because there's another Myrm you get later who is my favorite character in the game. But it's up to you who you want to use.

The torch staff increases your field of vision in Fog of War chapters, which the next chapter happens to be. EDIT: Ninja'd.

As far as the new units you gained go, Ephraim is very good, he's got good bases, good growths, and his only downside is that his caps are rather poor, but since he probably won't be hitting level 20 promoted without grinding, it hardly matters. Forde is also pretty good, he generally ends up better than Franz and even Seth if trained and promoted to Paladin. Kyle is probably your best Great Knight if trained, but I don't really use him all that much, or Forde for that matter, because I prefer using mah boi Seth.

Edited by Matthewtheman

Instead of shoving Orson in the corner, you could've stripped his inventory and baited enemies to kill him. Ephraim would appreciate having that Silver. And Torch staves are staves that are sold at vendors. You need a torch or torch staff for the next chapter because it has Fog of War like Chapter 4. Also, it's highly recommended you field Colm also, if you didn't know that thieves can dissipate Fog of War.

I didn't think about that. Woops. Interesting I didn't know Colm or any other thief could do that.

Well, just because Joshua is inferior to Eirika doesn't mean you need to bench him entirely. He does get some extra plot in chapters 14 and 15 of Eirika's route, you seem to be using Franz despite him being utterly outclassed by Seth. I usually do bench him in no-grind runs though because there's another Myrm you get later who is my favorite character in the game. But it's up to you who you want to use.

The torch staff increases your field of vision in Fog of War chapters, which the next chapter happens to be. EDIT: Ninja'd.

As far as the new units you gained go, Ephraim is very good, he's got good bases, good growths, and his only downside is that his caps are rather poor, but since he probably won't be hitting level 20 promoted without grinding, it hardly matters. Forde is also pretty good, he generally ends up better than Franz and even Seth if trained and promoted to Paladin. Kyle is probably your best Great Knight if trained, but I don't really use him all that much, or Forde for that matter, because I prefer using mah boi Seth.

The only reason I'm not sure if I'll use Joshua, but it really all depends on how many units I can bring to this next chapter. I plan on focusing on Eirika a bit more in this next chapter to put her on par with her brother, so she doesn't fall behind.

Ninjas? Sounds awesome!

I realize Franz is really bad at this stage of the game compared to the other Cavaliers, but he was my only non-promoted one that wouldn't suck up all the experience. Franz will probably be replaced by Kyle who I got tons of levels on in the last chapter.

Note that you will either have to blitz the chapter or hope Vanessa can get to the right side of the map quickly, as Neimi's promotion item is only available if you manage to save the three civilians, but they will be stalked by a spider as the turns push on.

Expect the next chapter to come out sometime later today. I'm going to look up all the things for promotion and stuff, since I don't really undertsand it all that well.

I can explain it for you: Once a character reaches level 10, they are able to promote using special promotion items, though it's generally better to wait until level 20 before promoting someone. Most characters get to choose between two promotion options, so you'll have to pick one. I can tell you which one's are generally better if you need help.

Franz: Great Knight is slightly better statistically for Franz than Paladin, but Paladin has better move, so it's really up to you.

Gilliam: General has better stats, but Great Knight has slightly better movement. I prefer General, but this is another one without out a clear-cut better option.

Vanessa: Wyvern Knight has better stats than Falcon Knight, but know that only one of Vanessa and Tana is allowed to promote to Wyvern Knight if you want to be able to have them Triangle Attack with Syrene. I generally make Vanessa the Wyvern Knight.

Moulder: Bishop has Slayer, which triples light magic's damage against monsters, and much of the late game enemies are monsters, so I consider it superior to Sage.

Ross: All of his options are decent, tbh. I like Pirate -> Berserker best myself though.

Garcia: I forget what the advantages and disadvantages of Warrior vs. Hero are, but I prefer Warrior.

Neimi: Ranger is better than Sniper for Neimi in nearly every way.

Colm: He's slightly better statistically as a Rogue, and the lack need for lockpicks and retained ability to steal is more important than Lethality IMO, especially since Colm is primarily a utility unit, so I'd go with Rogue over Assassin.

Artur: See Moulder for why Bishop is better.

Lute: This one really depends on what's more important to you. Mage Knight is better for the main story due to the movement and increased con, while Sage is better for Creature Campaign and Link Arena due to the better caps and Light Magic access.

Natasha: See Moulder again, only difference is her other option is Valkyrie instead of Sage.

Joshua: It's mainly a matter of if you prefer Swordmaster's better strength cap and +15 to crit or Assassin's Lethality/Silencer ability and better skill cap. I generally go Swordmaster.

Forde: Forde is better in nearly every way as a Paladin.

Kyle: Kyle was pretty much tailor made for Great Knight.

Tana: See Vanessa.

Amelia: Knight -> General is the best statistically, but Cavalier -> Paladin is also worth considering for the movement.

Gerik: He was pretty much made for Hero with his high con allowing him to wield nearly all axes. Ranger's not bad though, due to its speed cap and high movement.

Marisa: Same as Joshua, except the choice is much harder because Marisa generally comes just shy of 20 strength so the major consideration here is the crit boost vs Lethality. This one's always tough for me.

L'Arachel: Valkyrie and Mage Knight are incredibly similar, so it really depends on if you'd rather she wield Light or Anima magic. I generally go Valkyrie so she can wield Ivaldi.

Ewan: I generally go Dark Mage -> Druid, because your only other potential Druid doesn't make a very good Druid.

Cormag: Wyvern Knight vs Wyvern Lord is another tough choice, but I generally go with Lord because he's the only potential WL you get in the main story.

Knoll: Summoner is better than Druid because Summoner gives him a niche in providing free meatshields for your army.

Note that you will either have to blitz the chapter or hope Vanessa can get to the right side of the map quickly, as Neimi's promotion item is only available if you manage to save the three civilians, but they will be stalked by a spider as the turns push on.

I'll see what I can do, but thus far I don't really plan on using Neimi. She's a bit too weak, but we'll see.

I can explain it for you: Once a character reaches level 10, they are able to promote using special promotion items, though it's generally better to wait until level 20 before promoting someone. Most characters get to choose between two promotion options, so you'll have to pick one. I can tell you which one's are generally better if you need help.

Franz: Great Knight is slightly better statistically for Franz than Paladin, but Paladin has better move, so it's really up to you.

Gilliam: General has better stats, but Great Knight has slightly better movement. I prefer General, but this is another one without out a clear-cut better option.

Vanessa: Wyvern Knight has better stats than Falcon Knight, but know that only one of Vanessa and Tana is allowed to promote to Wyvern Knight if you want to be able to have them Triangle Attack with Syrene. I generally make Vanessa the Wyvern Knight.

Moulder: Bishop has Slayer, which triples light magic's damage against monsters, and much of the late game enemies are monsters, so I consider it superior to Sage.

Ross: All of his options are decent, tbh. I like Pirate -> Berserker best myself though.

Garcia: I forget what the advantages and disadvantages of Warrior vs. Hero are, but I prefer Warrior.

Neimi: Ranger is better than Sniper for Neimi in nearly every way.

Colm: He's slightly better statistically as a Rogue, and the lack need for lockpicks and retained ability to steal is more important than Lethality IMO, especially since Colm is primarily a utility unit, so I'd go with Rogue over Assassin.

Artur: See Moulder for why Bishop is better.

Lute: This one really depends on what's more important to you. Mage Knight is better for the main story due to the movement and increased con, while Sage is better for Creature Campaign and Link Arena due to the better caps and Light Magic access.

Natasha: See Moulder again, only difference is her other option is Valkyrie instead of Sage.

Joshua: It's mainly a matter of if you prefer Swordmaster's better strength cap and +15 to crit or Assassin's Lethality/Silencer ability and better skill cap. I generally go Swordmaster.

Forde: Forde is better in nearly every way as a Paladin.

Kyle: Kyle was pretty much tailor made for Great Knight.

Tana: See Vanessa.

Amelia: Knight -> General is the best statistically, but Cavalier -> Paladin is also worth considering for the movement.

Gerik: He was pretty much made for Hero with his high con allowing him to wield nearly all axes. Ranger's not bad though, due to its speed cap and high movement.

Marisa: Same as Joshua, except the choice is much harder because Marisa generally comes just shy of 20 strength so the major consideration here is the crit boost vs Lethality. This one's always tough for me.

L'Arachel: Valkyrie and Mage Knight are incredibly similar, so it really depends on if you'd rather she wield Light or Anima magic. I generally go Valkyrie so she can wield Ivaldi.

Ewan: I generally go Dark Mage -> Druid, because your only other potential Druid doesn't make a very good Druid.

Cormag: Wyvern Knight vs Wyvern Lord is another tough choice, but I generally go with Lord because he's the only potential WL you get in the main story.

Knoll: Summoner is better than Druid because Summoner gives him a niche in providing free meatshields for your army.

I may or may not have just copied your reply to my notes XD. Thank you for the help!

One thing that's nice about this game is that after chapter 8 you have the ability to grind thanks to the Tower of Valni and skirmishes, so if you want to unbench someone or get an underleveled unit up to par or whatever, you can do so with little trouble. The boss of the first floor of the tower in particular is pretty much a guaranteed level up for whoever kills it. I myself like to have everyone promoted and maxed out on supports by the time I finish the main story.