Jakob skill glitch?

Crushie

So I reclassed Jakob to Great Knight (with a Heart Seal mind you) and gained Cavalier skills plus Luna. Then I married him to Effie and wanted to finish getting his last skill before reclassing again. However he gained Defense +2 as his next skill? I leveled a bit more and the next skill he got was also a Knight skill....

Anyone got an idea what happened here?

I can answer that! When you marry someone you gain access to their base class (Effie's being Armor Knight), when you are in a promoted class (in this case Great Knight) that shares your base class and their base class, then you start to learn your partner's skills since you now have access to that base class and promoted class.....

Does that make sense?

Wow I didn't know that!

I thought that the skills you learn depend only on the seals you use (say use a Heart Seal for Jakob he learns Cavalier, but with Effie and a Partner Seal he will learn Knight)... Thank you for explaining that :D

I played the game a lot already but never once has this happened to me, very interesting!

I actually discovered this.... I guess it is a glitch?... The other week. I had a Charlotte!Soleil and when I used her offspring seal and she learned Hp +5 and Gamble and I didn't quite understand why at first, but then I realized since she has access to both Mercenary and Fighter and both classes promote to Hero, then she gets both Mercenary and Fighter skills. I thought that was pretty cool.

Since then, I have seen other people mention that similar things happened to them

Edit: And just so we are clear, it was only because I promoted her to Hero. She wouldn't have gained the Fighter skills if she promoted to a Bow Knight, till I eventually turn her into a Hero

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

So is that why when you ship off Kaze and Mozu together you can basically get Aptitude on Midori for free without sacrificing another skill. Since Midori and Mozu share the Merchant tree, Mozu being a Villager and Midori being an Apothecary.

Because I noticed that if you marry Kaze to another woman, you won't get Aptitude on Midori without paying for it.

Edited by MeddlingMage

So is that why when you ship off Kaze and Mozu together you can basically get Aptitude on Midori for free without sacrificing another skill. Since Midori and Mozu share the Merchant tree, Mozu being a Villager and Midori being an Apothecary.

Because I noticed that if you marry Kaze to another woman, you won't get Aptitude on Midori without paying for it.

Wait a second. Are you talking about passing down aptitude? or Midori gaining it through leveling up?

Wait a second. Are you talking about passing down aptitude? or Midori gaining it through leveling up?

Midori gained it when I offspring sealed her to Merchant when Mozu is her mom. But when another woman is Midori's mom she doesn't get it when you offspring sealed her into a Merchant.

Midori gained it when I offspring sealed her to Merchant when Mozu is her mom. But when another woman is Midori's mom she doesn't get it when you offspring sealed her into a Merchant.

hmmmm. I am pretty certain that no one can become a villager besides Mozu, but they do both promote into a Merchant. So that may be why that happened!

Basically any time you learn a skill the game checks whether you can learn any skills in the class trees you have access to. It then teaches you the lowest-level skill you don't already have.

Jakob has Cavalier (Paladin/Great Knight) but not Knight (General/Great Knight). If he switches to a Great Knight at lv5 and levels to 7, he'll learn Shelter and Elbow Room since those are Cavalier skills. Next on the list should be Luna, but if he marries Effie as people have already said he gains access to Knight retroactively and the skill learning list goes from [Luna] to [Defense +2, Natural Cover, Luna] and he'll have to level all the way to 10 to learn Luna. If you level him to 8 before marrying Effie he'll learn Luna, and then if they get married he'll learn Knight unpromoted skills.

This only works when a class is shared (GK by Knight/Cavalier, Merchant by Villager/Apothecary, Onmyoji by Shrine Maiden/Monk/Diviner, Basara by Diviner/Spear Fighter, etc.). If Jakob is a Paladin he won't learn the Knight skills since Paladin isn't in the Knight tree. But then he wouldn't learn Luna either since that's a Great Knight skill.

Right. Mozu and Mozu's child can access Villager. Mozu's husband cannot; she passes Archer to him instead. If Mozu marries Niles, for example, then Niles gets Sniper/Kinshi, but Nina gets Merchant/Master of Arms.

The same is technically true of the other non-Songstress special classes. Corrin's kids get Noble but his/her spouse does not, Kaden/Keaton pass their beast classes to their kids but not to their wives. Mozu is actually a normal case for special classes; it's Azura that's the exception as Songstress is absolutely locked to her (well, absent hacking).