Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates character #1 - #65 (Check first page)

RoyLKing

And Shiro would look awful with blonde hair

gonna have to disagree there real fast

LewWEC5.png

i think it works with the golden parts in his armor

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

#1. Laslow: My favorite character in the entire series. When I first started this series out with Awakening, I had a very low opinion on Inigo but despite the fact that he was somewhat insensitive, I still loved him as my son. Then Fates rolled in, and everyone fell in love with him....including me. The developers gave him a lot of maturity in Fates to the point where he ends up being such a loveable flirt that you thought he would find more people to go out to tea with him. While I do love his english version and Liam O'Brien's sexy voice (Ieyasu!), I personally prefer his japanese characterization and Ryuichi Kijima's awkward voice for relatable and noticeable growth reasons. I usually pair him up with strong (somewhat aggressive) women, as to serve a yin yang sort of relationship. As a unit...Laslow is the worst of both the Awakening Trio (In Conquest at least, Revelation can be very debatable) and the "+1 str and +2 ski" mod club. He has a horrible join time with extremely subpar growth that the only way that he could be useable is that you have to like him a lot to prefer using him over the others. His mods make him just a worst unit over Silas, like WHY DOES HE HAS A -1 IN SPEED? Otherwise, amazing character hampered by mediocre stats and growth.

#2. Shigure: I explained Shigure before. So I will copy and paste this part from what I written about him. "Overall, Shigure is one of those characters that is easily overlooked because of how most of his design is meant to be Boy!Azura. Unlike Azura, who spends most of her time, talking about her struggles and showing the results of the pain and suffering. We get to see Shigure's pain and suffering in Heirs of Fate and how amazing he is enduring it. If only the story kinda worked like FE4 or something like that, then Shigure would have been an amazing character.

Opinion-wise, he is my favorite child and I am glad that I married Azura (Who I also loved) so have such an amazing son. (I do hope that he inherits the Valla throne after I am gone.)

Gameplay wise, Shigure is a born support unit. Whether you make him a Falcon Knight or a Kinshi Knight, he should always be supporting from the back. His frail defense and class makes him a poor attacker but he has potential depending on the father. He is not as outstanding as Shiro or Velouria but his easy paralogue and personal rally skill should make him a decent unit is you want to use him."

#3. Selkie: She is fine both as a character and a unit. As a character, while she is childish, she is also capable of growth and friendship beyond her father that makes her understandable and likeable. Unit wise, she is decent but has varying degrees of growth depending on her mother.

#4. Flora: Why is she a corrinsexual? I mean that I do love her and all, but I am so disappointed that she couldn't support with other characters that would had made her so much more interesting. Come on! She would have some interesting supports with Saizo (older brother and older sister), Fuga or Rinkah (Wind/Ice/Fire tribe conversations), and Gunter (I somehow see you as a father....sometimes?). Although I want her to be happy, I do not want her to be with Jakob. This is not like with Cordelia where it is understandable and heart wrenching since Chrom is a pretty nice guy, but Jakob is too cold and brutally honest that unless if that is her thing. Unit wise, she is part of the "+1 str and +2 skl" mod group being the purely physical person. She has a late join time, but she can be ultimately useable.

#5. Scarlet: Another wasted potential, I'm also with the group of "not pairing her up with Ryoma". Sadly, I don't like her as much as Flora. She is an amazing unit all right.

#6. Selena: Unit wise, she is a lot better than Laslow. Character wise, glad to see your tsundere side kinda mellow down for the more softer and honest side.

#7. Nyx: She is cute and all, but her design and her characterization makes her a little uncomfortable to be around. Unitwise, she is the glass cannon mage that relies a lot her growth to see if she can be a little useable.

#8. Takumi: His characterization is very understandable and dramatic. He is like that one guy who could totally be an awesome dude but you just have to give him some time to trust you. Very broken with Point Blank, and even then this guy is probably the one who brought archers to glory.

#9. Corrin: Uhhh.....I blame the writers for his character because otherwise I loved Corrin as a unit. THAT HOSHIDO NOBLE ARMOR IS SO AWESOME!

#10. Sophie: A better Silas as a unit, since Silas is so balanced. Character wise, please stop talking about your horse. I know that you love it and all but please stop talking about it. Ship her with Shigure through.

#11. Shura: (picks the "kill him" option) I'm sorry who was he again? Okay, just kidding...again....not much to say about him being a corrinsexual and all. Good unit through...unless you choose to kill him.

Yeah....so much potential was lost for some of these characters. We will keep on regretting.

#1: Laslow/Inigo

I liked him enough in Awakening, but now I'm starting to straight-up love him in Fates and am considering marrying him next playthrough. As a unit, I find him to be the most useful of the Awakening trio this time around with his personal skill and high skill and luck stats.
#2: Shigure

I like him. I have a shtick for artist characters, and the Heirs of Fate DLC story made me care for him A LOT.
#3: Selkie
I like her enough. Extremely energetic characters are never my favorites, but she is quite cute and such a mage killer. I married Kaden once and didn't mind having her as my daughter.
#4: Flora
Probably my favorite Corrinsexual, and unfortunately, like all of them, she deserved so much better! Emotionally distant characters like her kind of get to me, you know? She's not the best unit considering you get her so late in Conquest and Revelation, but I still enjoy using her nonetheless. I sometimes wish I could replace Felicia/Jakob with her and have her from the start, though.
#5: Scarlet

Such a cute and strong girl. Again, deserved so much more than what she got. Revelation especially screwed her over too much.
#6: Selena/Severa
I couldn't stand her personality in Awakening, but was always a very overpowered unit for me. In Fates, I think she's just an all right unit with an all right personality. It's good to know that she and the other Awakening kids have grown since then.
#7: Nyx

She disappointed me so much. Her old soul, child body gimmick is interesting enough, but she doesn't at all come off as "mature" to me. She is very, very tricky to use in battle, too, because all her stats except magic and speed are so low how do I even begin.
#8: Takumi

I like him quite a bit. He is one of the most interesting and well-written characters in the game. I also love the Fujin Yumi; it is MONSTOROUS. I've never had a more useful Archer in battle.
#9: Corrin
I LOVE the idea of customizing appearance and marriage and all that, but, Corrin's "character" (if you can even call it that) disappointed me the most. Everyone loves Corrin, but why? Because they're family? Because they save lives? Because they strive for peace? Other characters in this game are like that, too, and they actually have apparent and interesting personalities. Corrin's "personality" is as basic is as basic goes, and when "it" possibly "does" "shine through," it's with things that I, the player, who the avatar is supposed to represent, highly disagree with. In this sense, it actually really makes Corrin look stupid and the love they get from literally everyone except Takumi and the villains so baffling. I know some argue Robin isn't much better, except I actually do see character in Robin, character that's not STUPID.

#10: Sophie
I like her. She really is Cynthia 2.0, so maybe that's why. I've never liked Silas btw. Their supports together make me a bit concerned that Sophie is a bit too happy with the way she grew up, though.
#11: Shura

Yay another Corrinsexual. He's an interesting one, too. Once again, he deserved so much more. In fact, I'd straight-up marry him if he were younger.

I highly recommend you NOT kill him in Conquest. I found him most useful in that path considering the very next chapter is a pain in the ass and he comes in handy with it.

I know some other people responded to me, but to be honest, I only have energy to respond to one comment for now.

Well, I would've bought it before Fates but, it didn't drop in it's price a single, considering how older the game is now, it should've at least dropped 10 dollars, but I'll wait either way until I finish Path of Radiance.

The Soundtrack that I heard from it sounds pretty great but I heard lots of bad stuff about it's story, though it can't be worse than Birthright's, right?

Price: It's about $40 across the board of online sellers. Used copies might vary, but I saw an Amazon copy that was five dollars off, so I'm not sure. I don't know how much it originally costed because my copy was a gift, so you'll have to decide for yourself if this price drop is enough for you, if there even was a price drop. There's also the DLC, which, when combined, costs around $50 total. However, the game isn't split up like Fates is, but has, I think, the same amount of chapters as one of the branches.

Soundtrack: Yes, it's absolutely good, and helps set the mood for a lot of scenes. The dual battle music system works like it does in Fates, except for in the DLC maps.

Story: Don't let people tell you it's terrible; temper your expectations until you've played it yourself. It's definitely not as good of a story as Radiance, but it's not on the level of stupid that CQ/Revelation are. And you have a proper lord who isn't a self-insert Mary Sue, along with a decent cast of characters. My favorites are Chrom, Lucina, Owain, Virion, and Henry, among some others. Some of the DLC adds to the story; specifically, the Scramble packs (okay, they more just have what are essentially support convos, but still) and the Future Past pack.

Final note: With all the changes brought about with Fates as far as the mechanics go, Awakening's gonna feel somewhat dated in comparison. A number of mechanics make Awakening feel totally broken compared to Fates. That being said, if you don't grind to the end of Earth (which is very easy to do if you use spotpass or DLC), then you might still find an adequate challenge in Awakening. Again, you should play it yourself; you are the only one who can decide if you like it or not.

#1 Laslow/Inigo: I have not finished Conquest, so I don't how he is as a unit. I like how he acts in Birthright, it really shows that he has matured and is willing to protect the people he cares about, in that case Xander. I also like that he does not flirt with every female character, for example in his support with Orochi.

#2 Shigure: I like his design, and he seems like an interesting guy, but i have only read a few supports of him. I don't use the children until postame, so I cannot say much about his utility.

#3 Selkie: I'm torn on her. Her design is one of the best in the entire game, but she also has no personality outside of "Let's play!". Her support with Corrin is ok,though.

#4 Flora: She's cool (pun not intended) and has an interesting backstory. Of course, like every character besides the royals, she would have needed to be fleshed out better.

#5 Scarlet: Defenitely one of my favorite characters. She looks awesome, has a cool personality and is a good unit. She would have needed so much more backstory, it is never explained why she rebels and how she became the leader of the Cheve-rebellion at such a rather young age. She also needs more supports, because the one with Corrin was very entertaining. I married her to Corrin in my Birthright run and intend to do that again whenever I replay it. Also, her death in Revelation is just plain stupid and pointless.

#6 Selena/Severa: I never minded her in Awakening, so I don't mind her here. I have not read many of her supports, but I like the ones I have, especially the one with Hinata.

#7 Nyx: I have not used her, but I think her backstory would be interesting if it wasn't used as an excuse to make her romanceable.

#8 Takumi: I like him, and I can relate to his insecurities. I think people exxagerate his bad habits. His support with Hana is really sweet, and of course he is a good unit.

#9 Corrin: I don't have an opinion on them really, but I have not gotten to the bad parts of Conquest, so that may change. I think it's funny that the whole cast treats them as something super-special, but we never really see what is so special about them. However, I do think male Corrin has somewhat of a personality. He proposes to Scarlet in such a cheesy way that I had to laugh out loud. But it makes sense for someone who grew up isolated in a castle and probably is in love for the first time. I like the designs you can give Corrin, but I think it does not mix well with the rest of the cast.

#10 Sophie: She's cute, but I hate her personal skill and the armour design of female cavaliers. I have not recruited her yet, so no opinion on her supports.

#11 Shura: Like Flora and Scarlet, he would have needed so much more backstory. The pieces that we get make him so interesting, and he could have had so many supports. I mean why can't he he talk to Azura or Saizo? I married him to my female Corrin in Revelations, and the support was ok, but he seems really clingy in his My Castle lines (Although you can understand them when you know his backstory). I like his design and the fact that he combines Hoshhido and Nohr in his class set. He is okay as a unit.

#1 Laslow/Inigo: I liked him in Awakening, although his gimmick was overplayed. In Fates he really seems to have grown up a lot, and I appreciate his personality a lot more. On the other hand, he is also the dad of my least favorite character, so he always gets to keep that 'eternal chastity'.

#2 Shigure: I really do like him, although I am usually not a fan of calm, soft-spoken characters. I just like his gentleness, design and voice a lot.

#3 Selkie: Her design is great and expressive, but her personality is terribly one-note. Like her as a unit, but her (lack of) personality bores me.

#4 Flora: Favorite Corrinsexual, and the only one of Corrin's retainers allowed to choose her loyalty to her clan over her loyalty to her lord. I really prefer her over her sister by a lot.

#5 Scarlet: Really cool character, who deserved better than she got. I really would have loved to pair her with Ryoma, but alas.

#6 Selena/Severa: One of my favorite kids from Awakening, because I have a strange fondness for tsundere. Has grown beyond it and is still a good unit.

#7 Nyx: Haven't used her much in combat, but I do like her personality. She is a much better variation on the "looks young but isn't" trope in that she actually acts like an older woman.

#8 Takumi: Best character in the game. The sheer depth of his personality and traits is something I will always cherish. He is something of a comfort character for me, considering we suffer from a lot of the same issues. I like that he isn't unproblematic and gets to be flawed in a realistic way. Nontheless, he also is very kind towards the people he is close too, and I adore his dynamic with his retainers. As a unit he is destruction incarnate, and the best archer in the game (if not the series).

#9 Corrin: I dislike them a lot. The way the game worships the ground they walk on, despite the messes they create, is laughable. Yes, their naivete makes sense considering their background, but it doesn't make them a very compelling protagonist and they never grow in any meaningful way either.

#10 Sophie: Eh, she is very bland. I never use her at all, she is just not outstanding in any way, and too obsessed with her damned horse.

#11 Shura: Another great Corrinsexual. He is a very interesting and compelling character, with a great backstory, that is sadly not expanded upon enough. Outside of that, he is also a very sweet guy, and a decent unit.

1) Laslow/Inigo - I loved him in Awakening and I love him now. He seems to have grown a lot since then, and I love his more mature personality and appearance. As a unit, he came out better than Peri in their joining chapter, and he stayed on my team through the middle of Conquest (started to fall off a bit towards the end, unfortunately > . >)

2) Shigure - I like him. The supports that I've seen are nice, and he did decently as a unit for me. I really like his support with Sophie.

3) Selkie - I've only just recruited her on Birthright, so I'll just have to wait and see if her playful gimmick gets irritating or not, and if her usefulness as a unit makes up for it. Design-wise she's pretty cute though.

4) Flora - I never used her in Conquest, but I liked the role she played in the story Birthright, it made her a lot more interesting, and I wish we could see more of her.

5) Scarlet - I definitely like her, but not as much as other people seem to. I never have much luck with axe-users, so I never used her on Birthright. her support with the female avatar is cute though.

6) Selena/Severa - Honestly, it took a lot for her to grow on me in Awakening (she came across a bit mean for my tastes in some of her supports), and what ended up redeeming her was when I married her to Morgan and they wrecked everything on the battlefield together. Unfortunately, she's not as powerful this time around - she mostly was filling the dual-guard meter on Xander for me - so I found it harder to reconcile her personality.

7) Nyx - Never really used her, she had too much trouble hitting stuff and thus got replaced by more reliable units. So-so on her personality, I do like some of her supports, but the not-a-child gimmick comes up a bit more often than I like.

8) Takumi - I liked that he was the only character who didn't like me (well, initially, at least). Especially on Birthright. Like, the avatar comes in, raised by Nohr, with a Nohrian sword, which explodes and kills a bunch of innocent Hoshidans and Mikoto, and the most the avatar offers in their defense is... I didn't know it would explode, honest? Seriously, I was surprised when most of them were just like "no no it's not your fault we understand". As others have said, he's also a pretty realistic character with relatable flaws, and an awesome unit.

9) Corrin - Corrin... I don't think I disliked them as much as some, but I can definitely see where the hate comes from. Especially Nohr!Corrin. There was so much good potential. And it really annoyed me how, when you fight the Hoshidan siblings in Conquest, Corrin managed to sidestep having to kill any of the siblings themself. Like, I don't think any of the scenarios are bad on their own, but when they all add up together... it just seems way too contrived. Like, I picked the evil route, game, let me do evil things. Well, things that are actually treated as evil, anyway.

10) Sophie - I like her. One of the better children when I played Conquest, and she seems to be doing decently on Birthright so far. Maybe I've just been missing characters that can actually take a hit. I like her design (except the battle-panties, they're just... so unnecessary, on so many levels), and her personality. I agree she talks too much about Avel though.

11) Shura - Pretty neutral on him. I only ever used him if I thought I'd need an extra lockpicker, and haven't seen the support so I don't really know what he's like personality-wise. Seeing a support-pool limited to the avatar pretty much benches a unit for me, unfortunately...

This is a daily thing where I pick a random unit from fates, then make a post about it asking people's opinion on that character based on his/her stats, character, design, voice actor, etc...

Today's character is:

Velouria!

What is your opinion on Velouria?

Link to the previous thread if you missed it:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=65306

Best character design in the game and the obligatory character I shouldn't like, but I do. Even though I find her habits disgusting, there's something charming about her.

Of course, I consider her and all child units non-canon.

Edited by Thane

I like Velouria, she is actually pretty funny in some supports like with Dwyer, and her C support with her Mother is adorable. She is also really good!

Velouria is the best child unit, possibly even the best unit in Fates. No matter who her mother is she is still a viable unit. Velouria also has the best supports, they range from very cute to funny. Velouria also has the best design out of any Fire Emblem character. You can tell the good folks at IS put a lot of care and love into her design.

She is a bit gimmicky (treasures and daddy), but her design is super cute. Transformed, not so much, but that applies for Keaton as well, lol.

I like her voice and lines, and as a unit she is ridiculously strong. Top tier for me.

Edited by lollipopocoaster

One of the best characters in the game. Her 'gimmick' is hilarious and her supports with her mother are among the sweetest and most 'aww'-inducing in the game. She also has a really cute design and voice and as a unit, she is plain fantastic. She is firmly placed in my top ten FE Fates characters, without a doubt.

#13: Velouria

I've only gotten her once, so I haven't much experience with her, but I think I like her. Shapeshifters are always fun for me, I LOVE her design like SO MUCH, and her attachment to her parents makes sense considering she and all the other kids why were left to grow up alone in the Deeprealms.

Edited by twistedxgrace

#1: Laslow/Inigo

He was pretty cool in Awakening, I almost always used him. I really like his new design in Fates, I think it's much better than his Awakening one. My opinion of him hasn't really changed since then, he's still a pretty cool character in my eyes.

#2: Shigure

I don't really care for Shigure all that much. I used him in Conquest for a Pegasus Knight, but I don't really care about his personality. Not a fan of his design, but there are some designs that I dislike more.

#3: Selkie

I've never used Selkie before, and that's because I never use Kaden. I prefer Keaton and Velouria.

#4: Flora

Out of the two sisters, I like Flora more as a fighter, but I like Felicia more in general.

#5: Scarlet

Scarlet is amazing. I love her design, but I'm super bummed that she couldn't support Ryoma. I shipped her and Ryoma even before the Japanese version came out, and was crushed when the news that she couldn't was revealed.

#6: Selena/Severa

My favorite character in the entire Fire Emblem series. I've loved her ever since I laid eyes on her in Awakening. Her design and portraits are much better in Fates, and she has that snazzy red hair she couldn't never actually get in Awakening. I don't like that she has the generic Hero outfit, but it doesn't bother me now as much as it did when the game first came out.

#7: Nyx

Nyx actually sparked my interest in Dark Mages. When I first played a Fire Emblem game (Sacred Stones), I didn't care for dark magic and shamans and all that. In Awakening, I didn't use Tharja much either. But there was something about Nyx that really made me like her. Not a fan of her voice, but that's probably the only thing I dislike about her.

#8: Takumi

Don't like him. He's just annoying to me.

#9: Corrin

Corrin is... eh. I don't really have words to explain them. I like female Corrin's design more.

#10: Sophie

I like Silas, not Sophie that much.

#11: Shura

Don't use him much, so I can't really say anything.

For me, she comes across as more endearing than Selkie. Maybe it's because I'm a dog person, and she's pretty much everything a dog/wolf would be if they were a person. Her love of trash hunting makes me think of my dogs, at least. She even has a great adoration for her parents, much like how a dog has great adoration for their master, assuming that said master is actually good and doesn't neglect/abuse the dog.

I'll get around to learning more about her. As I haven't used her too terribly much, I don't know a lot about her. But even if these character traits and her aloofness are all there is to her, I'd still like her well enough.

One of the best children in Fates and arguably the best child in Conquest. I'm surprised that Camilla x Keaton is a common pairing, can't blame them as she can be a monster with that set up. Normally, I cringe at daddy's girls but it works with Velouria because Wolves do form strong bonds with their kin and her conversations with her father looks like I'm listening to the typical life of a wolf pack translated for humans. Her design is cool with the Red Riding Hood attire .

Jesus Christ the gimmicks they hurt.

I guess she's one of the more tolerable ones if only because her design is one of the best and she's an incredibly good unit. Her support with her mom isn't bad either. Still better then Selkie.

She has a cool design but she looks too much like Nah.

If you ask me that's a good thing. I always loved Nah's design.

Hang on a second, I hear sirens outside of my house. Ops, someone's knocking on the door. Let me just see if I can help the police officers; they must be lost or something.

I would like her more if making her usable didn't require either uggo generics or uggo "edgy" all black wearing human form unreasonable buff unicorn werewolf on promotion.

Her stat mods and growths are pretty great though, only slightly worse than Soliel, and she gets to start with Eranks!!!!

Edited by joshcja