Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates character #1 - #65 (Check first page)

RoyLKing

She keeps her bloodthirst for her enemies. She tried to kill Felicia because she's a bad maid and she sees her servants as a threat since one of them killed her mother (whom he was in love) when she was a young girl. That's why she didn't trust any of her servants, and she considers Felicia as such because she served her, unlike Jacob who refused to make tea. I think the spilled tea just revived painful memories, which explains she tried to kill her (don't forget she's unstable emotionnaly). Then Felicia defended herself, so Peri realized she was more a skilled fighter than a maid, and didn't try to finish her. I didn't read Silas' and Peri support convo, but I think there's a similar reason and I don't consider DLC festivals canon because it's mostly fan service and written later (and probably not by the same persons). The convo between Peri and Corrin is basically why I love Peri as a character, even Corrin says Xander saw her not only as a skilled fighter, but saw the kindness in her hearth. I'm just surprised that everybody hate her (instead of just being indifferent) when most of them benched her immediatly and didn't have her supports.

You misunderstood me on the unit part: I tried to told that most people want all of their units to have incredible stats everywhere (most of them want all their units to double every enemy, even the slower like Xander, which is stupid), but I consider that every unit has his own strengths and weaknesses, and I try to push their strenghts instead of "fixing" (I hate this term) their weaknesses, via reclassing for example. You took the example of Charlotte, I agree that she just need HP, Str, Speed and a bit Skl (because you can't trigger a crit if you miss). In Peri's case, it's Speed, Strength and Resistance.

Then I'd assume this is just her being your personal favorite for reasons only pertinent to yourself. That's a good thing since Peri won't win any popularity polls and every character should gain some love, but I'll be honest that from my perspective she doesn't seem worth it. As for the DLC thing, some of the Awakening Trio's DLC dialogues passed over to Fates so maybe not everything is set in stone in the main game but I digress. Peri's solo ending says she chilled on her cruelty considerably but having seen nothing of it means we can't appreciate any visible change. Also speaking of the Awakening Trio and Charlotte

Charlotte: Better than expected, but not exactly by much. She gives Sieg boy his best hair color though.

Odin: The one of the trio who has matured the most of the gang in the subtlest ways because at first you wouldn't even think he'd change at all. He tries to cheer his pals and is the least affected of leaving his original homeland. The DLC doesn't do him any justice and for some reason he's a guy who doesn't really get old even though I enjoyed him slightly more in Awakening.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Effie

Pretty nice design. The armor's platting is nice and the color's very pleasing to the eyes. I like her hairstyle too. She's an absolute badass a unit. Not a super tank, but still an amazing knight nonetheless. The fact that she has insane strength and good speed as well is awesome. As a character, she not bad, but not really great either. I found Kjelle to be better, but she has her moments. She's super gimmicky tho, but she doesn't really gets on my nerves.

Jakob

Fuck Jakob. He may look cool and he may be good as a unit, but he's a huge Corrin dickrider and one of the reasons why Corrin doesn't learn anything. And the fact that he's an ass to everyone else for the most part, including his own damn son, just makes me hate him more.

Leo

He's a cool guy. Decent design and the less flamboyant of the Siblings. He's meh as unit, tho.

Hayato

He a more tolerable, usable version of Ricken, and I can respect that. Also really like his design.

Hinata

He's a bro. Nifty design. Really like his color palette. He has a nice personality. As a unit, I have a hard time using him cause of that low speed and skill growth.

Silas

His design is cool. I really like his hair. Kinda so-so as a unit. Personality wise, he's okay sometimes, and boring sometimes. The whole childhood friends thing was a good concept, but like with almost everything character and story wise in Fates, it barely gets touched. His other supports are kinda so-so too.

Hans

The least involved of the Nohr Villain trio as well as the least impact making. Sure him killing Scarlet and most of the Cheve rebels was impactful, but what else has he done other than grunt work? Also, he apparently got more power near the end. What was this power? Like really, a berserker as a main villain not being just a super grunt would've been cool, but Hans is just a super grunt.

Orochi

When it comes down to fanservice being discussed, why doesn't Orochi's design never get brought up? People talk about knights and cavs lacking pants and the Female Noble having thigh holes, but the female diviners have their whole ass crack out. I like the Female diviner design tho, although that's a distraction, but I've never let skin being shown cloud the main parts of the design. Orochi also has some nice hair. Unit wise... I don't really like using her. I hate mages with low speed(or/and skill) growths, but with high magic growths. Hayoto is way better, too, which adds salt to the wound. She's kinda meh as a character. Not a super troll, like Azama, but a troll nonetheless. I wish she was the Corrinsexual rather than Reina, because Reina's better as a character.

Mitama

I love her. She's my favorite child unit(sorry Kana, Soleil, Kiragi, and Forrest) Her design, like Beruka's is pretty standard in terms of her class, but I really her hair, and even her starry pupils grew on me. She's kinda gimmicky with her lazyness from what I've read, but there's some good bits in her supports too. Like I like her support with Kana when she teaches her how write creatively. Her Corrin support is one of the best in the game and felt like an Awakening support since they're actually bonding and learning about each other(also Corrin actually learns something, rather it just be Haiku). She's also funny and charming too, and a pretty surprisingly awesome unit. Her Personal skill is very gimmicky, but her starting bases make up for it.

Charlotte

If only Beruka wasn't in this game, then Charlotte would've def been my favorite female character. I like her hair, her eyes and the amount of expression that she has in her portraits. Her design is the most fanservice of them all, but since she's in a game where even the dudes can't help but show their asses and I really don't care about too much fanservice as long as it doesn't take up most of the game's aspect, I don't mind, in fact I think the parts that are covered up look nice. I really like those patterns and those high heels are sexy. The white and blue color pattern is also pleasing to the eye. I love her character. I actually didn't mind the fact the fact that she was a gold digger with a hidden personalty, but seeing the reason for her behavior is very touching. And her supports are surprisingly varied from funny, touching, cute, etc. As unit, she's awesome after you get rid of Gamble. Her personal skill and the chapter that gets introduced and joins you is just perfect to level her up. After she removes gamble, she hits hard and things will die. Good job on this one, IS.

Odin/Owain

I will never tire of this guy... unless he gets reintroduced in the next FE game for some dumb ass reason. It's always fun to read his less serious supports and just imagine him posing and shouting while no one's looking. His new design is... out there to say the least, but I like the yellow, and you can't have fanservice for just one gender...right? As a unit, he's a gamble due to his mixed growths, but I still like using him.

Zola

The only villain that I actually felt sorry for all paths. He doesn't try to kill anyone, and actually shows mercy. Although he was still working for Garon, he actually felt bad about his actions and tried to convince Garon to spare Corrin. I kinda want him to be a real unit because of it. Could be a good change of pace.

Peri

I'm a terrible person, because I love Peri. She has a nice design, from her hair to her clothes. She's an awesome unit on Conquest. Good strength, speed, and decent skill, and that Personal skil. Her killing everything cause she can gimmick is honestly fucking funny. I can never really get angry or annoyed at Peri, although the signs or triggering are there and I can understand the hate. Like with Corrin, I blame most of the reason why she gets away with the stuff that she does is that no one calls her out on it or tries to help her(Xander, for being a prince of Nohr, you could've at least tried to help her better than shit you pulled in that support.). Since she's not Corrin, and only a side character, she doesn't really make that big of a mark for me. I just wish that her supports actually had people to help her or stop her.

Midori

She's... a character I suppose. She has a cute design. As a unit, I don't think she's really that great, tbh. The only reason that she's so abundant is PvP, but she's not really that special if we're talking traditional FE here. She has low strength, speed, and defense growths at base, and the Apothecary class isn't really that good besides the skills. She's only really good for gold and weapon farming in conquest due to her personal skill if she's just a Merchant. She's good with other classes, I'll admit. She's eh as a character. Not really annoying or infuriating and she has her moments, but she doesn't really stand out for me. Weed/Medicine/PvP memes that includes her are fucking funny tho.

Peri: And you are supposed to be the replacement of my beatiful Henry?... I was honestly dissapointed since I love mad characters because you can do a lot of things with them and be extremely creative with their insanity, but Pery just fails horribly at it with her bratty attitude. She does not have a single point of experience in my playthrough so don't expect to say how good she is as a unit.

Midori: I actually used her in my Revelations playthrough, mostly because I liked some of her supports and I never got tired of "Mighty Midori!". She was alright, but as most people have said, she's a slower, but stronger version of her father. Overall I'm okay with her.

Edited by Drarky

Hinata - I like him, he has a nice design and he seems like a nice person. Unfortunately he was just completely eclipsed by Ryoma as a unit, so I never got to use him much (and haven't got round to support grinding with him yet).

Silas - I have... mixed feelings about Silas. Some of his supports are really great, and others are just... not. I mean that's pretty much the case with every character, but it just felt particularly grating with him. Maybe because it's just such a difference in terms of personality, he can go from being the nicest person ever to a condescending jerk just like that, with no particular reason to explain why. As a unit he was pretty solid, I found myself appreciating him a lot more on Birthright just because he could actually take a hit. Haven't used him in Revelations yet, but I've heard he's great there.

Hans - It's been said to death, but he's just such a cartoon villain. And so obviously so as well. I just couldn't bring myself to care or be shocked when he did bad things because of it.

Orochi - She got some terrible early level ups for me, and thus got benched pretty quickly. As such, I haven't seen many of her supports and haven't used her, so I can't really give an opinion.

Mitama - Haven't recruited her yet.

Charlotte - Maybe I just need to see more of her supports, but I find myself not liking her very much. She comes across as simpering to Xander (that said though I've only seen the C support), rude to Keaton... I don't know, maybe there's just a particular support that I haven't seen that makes her more sympathetic. Not a fan of her design either, it just seems so over-the-top fanservice-y, though the bow in her hair is cute. As a unit, she suffered from the same problems I usually have with axe-users, never being able to get them to hit anything, so she got benched.

Odin/Owain - I loved Owain in Awakening, and I still love him here. He's so dramatic and ridiculous, and I find his supports very amusing because of it. I didn't get as much of a sense of him maturing as I did with Inigo, but it's still kinda there. As a unit though, I never used him much, he couldn't hit anything reliably so he got benched.

Zola - I get the impression they tried to make him Obviously Evil design-wise so the player wouldn't feel bad about killing him, but then forgot to make him do anything evil. Even when he betrayed the Avatar in Birthright, he tried to convince Garron to spare some people.

Peri - Her bases weren't that great, and she was having major difficulty killing stuff in her join chapter, so she got benched very quickly. The only support of hers I've seen is with Arthur, and it was... interesting. Kudos to Arthur for insisting on talking to the merchant each time instead of letting Peri kill him.

Midori - Cute design, but pretty bland personality wise. Her support with Ophelia did not endear her to me, nor did her lackluster performance as a unit, and I found her medicine gimmick got grating very quickly.

The real question is why are people so upset that the Nhorian army has at least one bloodthirsty psycopath in it?

Didnt you know? Anyone on Team Playable Character has to be a shining example of society's standards, otherwise its shit and people who like them are bad human beings. Instead of, i dunno, letting people like whatever they freaking like.

<.<

Peri: Shes a pretty cool character. Really messed up in the head and kinda knows it. As a unit, she has a rough start, unfortunately. By the time you get her on Conquest, your Silas might already be hella better if you've been actively using him. (On Rev, Silas will be better because his bases kinda rule in that route) But she isnt unusable, and can help round out the team if you want an extra horsie unit to fill in until Xander shows up. I like her personal and its pretty damn bomb when used with Galeforce and/or dancing.

Midori: I like, never use this character. Like, ever. Her design is ok but makes her like five years old. As a unit, i dont use her and dont have room for her.

Peri - Y'all don't like her, fine. But I better not hear a peep about how bad the world-building is from the same lot of you, because that's outright hypocritical. Peri's supports give a lot more insight into Nohr than most of the story.

[spoiler=Possibly Conquest/Revelation spoilers along with character stuff]The fact that servants can be killed by their masters, with apparently no repercussion, is huge. It speaks for the class stratification in Nohr, which Xander tries to reverse in his ending of Conquest/Revelation. Furthermore, they had to hire servants, so apparently it's not just serfdom? This also indirectly adds to Jakob's character - he mentions that he was pretty bad when he started out, and with possibly execution hanging over his head, I don't blame him for taking his job a little too seriously! From Niles' support, word about the murdered servants got out, somehow, though it wasn't fully accurate - perhaps someone passed close to their house, and heard Peri's latest victim scream or something, or maybe saw her silhouette in a window.

Given the treatment of the servants, as well as the lack of prosecution on Peri's family's part, it looks like those who aren't nobility can choose who they work for, but they're subject to literally anything their boss wants to throw at them. IMO the servants need a union, and King Xander has a hell of a reform time ahead of him - if he chooses to touch that issue!

As a unit, her personal skill is quite amusing, and one day, I'll turn her into a Dark Flier for giggles.

Midori - I like making gimmick characters when their potential is merely suggested (Hisame comes to mind). In Midori's case, it's shoved into my face. No thanks.

Peri: Why all this hate for Peri? She's an amazing character though. Okay, she enjoys killing. And ? Most people have preconceptions about her, and that's really a shame.

I've read her supports and found her disgusting, thank you very much, and judging by the people who have replied here, they've all done the same.

Also, as some people have pointed out, it's not the fact that she enjoys killing that's the problem, since quite a few of us liked Henry.

Peri: Her character development is very good, you understand why she's as she is. However I find her character very funny, maybe because I love this kind of crazy personality, that's why she's by far my favorite character in Fates.

Her "development" usually ends up in other characters being okay with her murdering or at least willing to look past it; she's negatively affecting others, rather than growing as a person. In Leo's support she's on her way to kill random villagers - this is Xander's retainer, and it doesn't matter how much "kindness he sees in her heart", the game wants us to believe he's a serious, caring person, yet he's okay with his men slaughtering people at random.

If you like her, that's fine, but don't try to dismiss others' opinions like you do. I find her to be an emotionally crippled childish psychopath who has no business being in an army, much less in a position above the common soldier.

Didnt you know? Anyone on Team Playable Character has to be a shining example of society's standards, otherwise its shit and people who like them are bad human beings. Instead of, i dunno, letting people like whatever they freaking like.

This is an intellectually dishonest argument. People here are debating, not saying "how dare you not like X as much as I do?", not to mention plenty of posts have stated their love for Niles and even Jakob. Personally, Soren might be my favorite character in the entire series, so I don't understand from where you got the idea that everyone only likes the unambiguously good guys. Most people here seem to just not like Peri because she's one of the worst written characters in the entire game.

Edited by Thane

Peri - Y'all don't like her, fine. But I better not hear a peep about how bad the world-building is from the same lot of you, because that's outright hypocritical. Peri's supports give a lot more insight into Nohr than most of the story.

I don't understand this and I want to make sure I understood it right. Am I not allowed to say there wasn't enough world building because I don't like Peri? Because that seems kind of unconnected to be in all honesty.

I don't understand this and I want to make sure I understood it right. Am I not allowed to say there wasn't enough world building because I don't like Peri? Because that seems kind of unconnected to be in all honesty.

If you're not willing to acknowledge that Peri's supports had decent world-building in them, even if her character disagrees with you, then yes, you don't get the right to complain about the lack of world-building in Fates.

Edited by eclipse

Yet we have characters like Henry, Shinon, and a few other characters that are morally ambiguous and/or jerkasses, yet none of them are nearly as unpopular as Peri is. You're making a strawman argument here if your immediate assumption is that all characters that are not paragons are deemed bad characters by the fandom when the reality is their popularity fluctuates based on the character. Peri is disliked for other reasons then her moral ambiguity, and treating it as such is doing a disservice to those who have tried to clearly voiced their dislike for the character.

Also, like Thane said, I've never seen anyone in the thread say that those that like Peri should be shunned for their opinions. In general, everyone is just sticking to explaining why they dislike the character and leaving it at that.

If you're not willing to acknowledge that Peri's supports had decent world-building in them, even if her character disagrees with you, then yes, you don't get the right to complain about the lack of world-building in Fates.

Eh, I can't really agree it was enough but I guess right now beggars can't be choosers. Okay, just wanted to make it clear then.

Charlotte

One of my favorite characters. Her main gimmick is regurgitated in just about all of her supports and, yet, each support has its own charm due to the reactions of the other characters. I do like that she has a legitimate reason for acting the way that she does; it isn't the most ground-breaking or deep but it doesn't have to be. I am also one of the people skeptical as to why Charlotte decided to be a Fighter despite wanting to come off dainty but I just like to assume that it wouldn't matter what class she is in because she is apparently like Tsunade and can K.O. anyone with, like, one hit. She just chose an axe because why not.

Odin

Oh lawd, I love this dude. Since Awakening, he was my favorite child and, yes, I did do the sin and married him on occasion. I personally have a fondness for the bombastic, outgoing, energetic characters like Odin—but he also has a mature, solemn side, which unfortunately doesn't appear as frequently. While this is head!canon on my part, I like to believe that out of the Awakening Trio, Odin is the one with his emotions under control—or, at least, he is best at masking them by yelling spell names at the top of his lungs and performing fabulous poses. Also, 10/10 design. There is little left to the imagination ;)

Zola

Zola is an underappreciated character. Talking about him legitimately hurts my heart—because he is literally one of few characters that gets development and a miniature character arc in the main storyline. The fact that I actually shed a tear for him during BR and not one for Elise speaks volumes to me about the writing of Fates as a whole. #RIPZola

Peri

I don't like her. I tolerate her during certain supports but just barely. I use her because I have this urge to use all characters but... Meh.

Midori

Least favorite kid. This kid cries because some kids didn't believe she was an adult. Ironic, considering I'm sure adults wouldn't cry to their mother when children don't believe when they tell them they are adults.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Been awhile since I played Fates, not to mention the fact that it's 2:45 in the morning, but here I go:

Laslow: I like him better here than in Awakening, where most of his supports ended with the same fucking gimmick.

Shigure: I'm a sucker for the nice guys and Shigure is definitely a nice guy. His supports are fantastic and help develop the character he's supporting with (Including Rhajat and Soleil, who I imagine we're going to see fun replies for both of them).

Selkie: You want a one-note character? This one's a great pick for that. It takes a lot for me to dislike a character, but her grating voice and stupid personality prevent me from liking her.

Flora: Maybe I should have used the Corrinsexuals.

Scarlet: No opinion. Didn't use.

Selena: Oh hey, it's not-Asuka-Langly-Soryu. Good thing Asuka is one of my personal favorite characters of all time.

Nyx: I like Nyx. Sure she's loli-bait, but her personality makes up for that.

Takumi: Contrary to some other people on this board, Takumi is not the second coming of Fire Emblem Jesus. That being said, I do like him, at least in his supports. His story persona is meh for me.

Corrin: Robin was better. In all seriousness, he sucks in story, but his supports are alright. Also, Azzurin shall go the way of RufuRuki for me because I'm basic as fuck.

Sophie: She has a good support with Soleil. That's all I know about her.

Shura: Probably would have been a good idea to use him.

Saizo: He's cool. His supports with Beruka (well, the ones that exist) are great.

Veloria: She's an awesome unit. DIdn't really read her supports.

Fuga: Corrinsexual. Me no use.

Subaki: Surprisingly, his Mr. Perfect personality was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. Also, his supports with Selena were great.

Hinoka: Who? Oh the princess with zero presence? Right. She's got some great supports (Xander) and her personality doesn't suck.

Niles: Ohhhhhh yessssssssssss!

Felicia: Eh, her gimmick is overdone, but she's not bad. Her supports with Hinata are fantastic though.

Kagero: She's got big boobs, but unlike Camilla, they're not her character. She gets a pass in my book.

Kana: Why? Why must you be so boring? I miss Morgan the troll.

Effie: She's rather gimmicky, but her gimmick actually works in several of her supports (Keaton, for example). She's meh.

Jakob: Not really a fan. His supports with Setsuna are amazing though.

Leo: He can be a bit of an ass, but he does bring out the best in who he supports with. Definitely one of the best characters.

Hayato: Not-Ricken, in my opinion, is much worse than his daughter (then again, I like Rhajat so...). His support with Nyx is nice though.

Hinata: His support with Felicia is fantastic. That's really all I know about him.

Silas: There's a point where "bro" becomes creepy and Silas crosses that line. The fact that he can be a complete asshat in his supports also pisses me off.

Hans: Generic Psycho Villain #235.

Orochi: I'm a sucker for the trolliing characters and boy does Orochi deliver! Her supports with Kagero are nice as well.

Mitama: It would help if I married Azama to someone.

Charlotte: Surprisingly decent. Really liked her supports with Kaden.

Odin: He's a more mature Owain. So yeah, A+ character. Also, A-Support with Ophelia. Read it. It's one of the best in the game.

Zola: Boo in Conquest and Revelation. Yeah in Birthright. Really wished they explored his character more.

Peri: I love Peri. She has a great support with Laslow. It's too bad she can only support with him. Yep, that's her only support.

Midori: Didn't really use her.

Peri: I love Peri. She has a great support with Laslow. It's too bad she can only support with him. Yep, that's her only support.

You forgot the platonic support with Niles, that helps to explain a bit about both of their pasts! And a bit of how Nohr works, too.

Actually. . .Peri's supports are all over the place. I think she wins the award for biggest support quality gap, whether it be Kaze in the kitchen, Odin in how-does-this-even-work-in-Revelations, Niles/Laslow about her past, and then this from Arthur A:

You're good people.

Yeah. Nicely done, Peri, you've got a lot going on, and it's a pity that your emphasis was on killing and weird sentences. A little more balance between her aspects, and she'd be an extraordinary character.

I've read her supports and found her disgusting, thank you very much, and judging by the people who have replied here, they've all done the same.

Also, as some people have pointed out, it's not the fact that she enjoys killing that's the problem, since quite a few of us liked Henry.

Her "development" usually ends up in other characters being okay with her murdering or at least willing to look past it; she's negatively affecting others, rather than growing as a person. In Leo's support she's on her way to kill random villagers - this is Xander's retainer, and it doesn't matter how much "kindness he sees in her heart", the game wants us to believe he's a serious, caring person, yet he's okay with his men slaughtering people at random.

If you like her, that's fine, but don't try to dismiss others' opinions like you do. I find her to be an emotionally crippled childish psychopath who has no business being in an army, much less in a position above the common soldier.

This is an intellectually dishonest argument. People here are debating, not saying "how dare you not like X as much as I do?", not to mention plenty of posts have stated their love for Niles and even Jakob. Personally, Soren might be my favorite character in the entire series, so I don't understand from where you got the idea that everyone only likes the unambiguously good guys. Most people here seem to just not like Peri because she's one of the worst written characters in the entire game.

You totally misunderstood me. I never said I wanted everyone to love her like I do, there's a lot of shades between love and hate (dislike, indifference, appreciate, like, are just a few of them), and hatred is a really strong feeling. I perfectly understand when can dislike her. Henry loved blood (even his own), Peri love killing, that's really different. And Peri is a much more complex and interesting character than Henry IMO, with an well-written backstory gradually revealed through her supports. Much more interesting than "I eat for twelve persons to protect Lady Elise" (Elffie, don't get me wrong, I like her too, but her character development is quite poor) or "I'm so cute / I love my Daddy" (same). Of course she can't really evolve in her supports, because her other supports would make no sense then or IS would have to write an huge amount of text if supports were actually related, which is not possible. And the fact is Peri's supports are very solid: none of them have this "I'm sorry but we'll talk later" to have 3 supports instead of 2. Peri reminds me more of Tharja (both are weird but kind) than Henry. What made Tharja a better person, when she cursed her allies, including her own daughter, than Peri, who enjoys killing her enemies (and Peri has aggravating circumstances)? And I remember Tharja was very popular. Same think with Camilla. She's crazy too, she tortured, etc. What makes her a better person in community's eyes? Her 100% cliché and fanservice look, and her attitude towards the Avatar, which is very uncalled-for when she has 5 siblings (and Corrin isn't even her youngest brother/sister). She has an interesting backstory too, but THIS kind of character has no place in a Fire Emblem game IMO.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Well this one was quite the commotion for one character.

Either way, let's get started with the newest characters, which are, Benny and Arthur. Plus a bonus character that is Iago.

Benny: Never used Benny since I already had Effie so I dunno, but he does have a pretty good design.

Arthur: The Bobby Fulbright of the series! (even though he needs to work on his definition of justice)

Arthur can be pretty funny with his supports, but I wish he had more character other than "JUSTICE!" and bad luck.

Unit-wise, Effie is better than Arthur, since she can hit harder/take damage better/ect. And Arthur's hit rate is kinda low, though that never stopped me since the hit rate of this game was always pretty weird.

Iago: More generic than Hans

Benny: He's sweet. I wouldn't really say he's ~deep~ or anything, but it doesn't really matter for me when other cast members have that covered. His supports usually bring a smile to my face, and he's probably one of the few characters I really like in several different pairings (as opposed to one or two OTP-ish type things).

Arthur: Similar to Benny but with a few more serious supports & less pairings I like. Their support together was fun, btw.

Iago: Eh, a case where I remember liking him more unlocalized than localized. He gets some of what I like about the evil advisor trope, but at the same time he had other qualities/lines I liked never localized or never in his character in the first place. In the grand scheme of FE villains, he's more memorable for me (I remember his name, which is a lot already), but in the scheme of the Fates cast, he's probably middle/bottom. Character writing time was allocated elsewhere in the story, so it is what it is. He's not going to do as well for me personally without some writing to either round him or cement his flat character traits.

Edited by blinkingbrave

Arthur: The Bobby Fulbright of the series! (even though he needs to work on his definition of justice)

Arthur can be pretty funny with his supports, but I wish he had more character other than "JUSTICE!" and bad luck.

Unit-wise, Effie is better than Arthur, since she can hit harder/take damage better/ect. And Arthur's hit rate is kinda low, though that never stopped me since the hit rate of this game was always pretty weird.

Basically my opinion on Arthur: very funny character, but too one-dimensional. As a unit he's OK. Charlotte makes a better Berserker in my opinion, but he's still good at it. As a Hero he does his job too.

Benny: I just read his support with Beruka, so I don't have any opinion on him. As a unit, he's a very goood defensive-oriented General (unlike Effie who's more offensive). I didn't use him, but on the paper he's one of the best General in the series, with high HP, Skill, Def and even Res (45%!) when Wary Fighter prevent him to be doubled. A wall, in short.

Iago: Boring caricatural vilain.

So....

Benny: I really like him and use him more than Effi. His Supports are good (I really like his C-Support with the Avatar for example). He is like a huge, armor wearing teddybear.

Arthur: Rarely used him, some funny supports but nothing gameplaywise other characters can't do.

Iago: Interesting vermin, pardon villian without much backstory (sadly...)

Benny: He's better than Effie in terms of gameplay with gr8mazing bases, too bad armor is legitimately ass in CQ because he's by far one of my favorite units purely for his supports. Also he is Mozu's natural prey.

Arthur: I am actually in love with JUSTICE. Amazing character that manages to have surprising depth despite his omnipresent persona as The Hero Nhor Needs, but not the one is deserves", Gameplay wise he's the most ridiculous damage hose I have ever witnessed, He just mercilessly splatters dragonskins and wary fighters with no fucks given up to and including Lunatic!Ryoma and Final Takumi. Also legit fat despite his crit "weakness" he hit 70/30/15 bulk as a zerker in my last run unpaired.

Iago: When do we get to marry him Garon and Zola?

Edited by joshcja

Benny is a character I have only used once so far. Prior to that, I had only done his support with Selena for completions sake (Getting Ignatius). As a unit, he is an amazing tank, but doesn't have the broken Strength that Effie has. That kinda threw me off when first using him, as I tried to use him like Effie, but he doesn't fill the niche. But what he can do is tank one front while everyone else does the other side. And he's really good at what he does. So far, I'm liking him.

As a character, he is just a gentle giant, but he's still well done from what support I've read.

Arthur is pretty much Owain in Fates if Odin didn't exist. That's pretty much the best way to describe him personality wise. In other words, he's amazing.

As a unit, however, I don't sing him praise as much as most others do. Every time I use him, he ends up getting awful level-ups and having garbage stats to a point where he's a liability and has to be a pair-up bot for better members of the team. Even in my PMU right now, he's never gotten Strength or Defense from a level up, but has gotten magic and luck more than once.

WHAT.

So yeah, overall I don't think Arthur is that good for me. Against all odds, he has managed to suck horribly every time I use him.

Iago is a Gharnef archetype, but watered-down as a character in comparison to the others.

Benny

I haven't used him yet but he sure looks good. He even got himself an amazing personal skill that should work great for a knight, helping his allies to wipe the remaining enemies from the field after Benny lured them in and softened them up. As a character... he is a gentle giant. His presence scares people but he actually has a kind heart. And that would be fine if he was an example of "Show, don't tell". He never actually intimidates people, we are just always told that he intimidates people because he brings it up in every possible context.

Arthur

"Bizaaaaaaaarro here to saaaaaave the day!" The supposed hero of justice who works as one of the evil empires top enforcers for some reason. Yeah buddy, you can talk about justice as much as you want but actions define a hero, not words.

As a unit he doesn't do too great either. His stats are okay but he has a personal skill that makes him more vulnerable to critical hits which combined with his already low luck makes him a gamble to use. He is no trash by any means but he doesn't really offer anything in exchange for his weaknesses.

Iago

Some villains make you hate them, some villains make you fear them and Iago... makes you groan in annoyance. He is just boring in his desperate attempt to get the player to hate him. He lacks any kind of charisma whatsoever and he is too shallow of a douchebag to ever get under the player's skin. Every scene involving him is a trial in tedium, so it's baffling that the game bothers to keep him around all the way to the finale before he finally gets disposed off.

Whether he blatantly fakes friendliness, tries to get Garon to kill Corrin (which of course never gets anywhere because Garon hates simple solutions) or simply twirls his mustache for the lulz, either way his existence serves no purpose other then to take up space and waste the player's time.

Edited by BrightBow

Benny

He's a nice guy. I tried to use him in Revelation but ended up benching him. Like I said with Effie, I don't like too many Knights in the series because of how slow they are. I doubt Benny will win me over.

Arthur

I hate his dumb gimmick. Though I appreciate the irony in someone who claims to fight for justice fighting for the glory-seeking conquerors, I doubt the writers even realized that's what it comes across as.

Iago

I was waiting for him to do something cool, or to reveal some sort of master plan, or to have a real reason to be evil. What a waste of a good design and name.

Benny: I really like Benny and I prefer him more than Effie. While his relationship with Ignatius isn't the best Parent-Child supports, it's the most down to Earth. Personally, if I met my son for the first time as an adult since when I last saw him as an infant, of course I will have very little to say. He does well when it comes to fighting ninjas without sting shurikens and was an MVP in that very challenging Ninja cave chapter.

Arthur: Someone give this guy his own spin off game. Yeah, he's pretty low tier when it comes battling, but my god I love his character, everything he says is hilarious, especially the heroic laugh when he dual guards. I actually prefer him as a berserker because he looks like a warrior inspired by greek mythology like Hercules. If I judged FE units by character alone he would be in the to 15 at least.

Iago: I always get a Dick Dastardly vibe from him, he's just too cartoony, literally the end of the first chapter of Conquest, In the words of Frozone "He starts monologing." Like I mentioned with Hans, he would have been interesting if he had a connection with the royal siblings like being Leo's mentor.

Also, I take back what I said about Zola, he's actually one of the better villains of the series, especially with his plan in Conquest.

Benny: I love the gentle giant archetype, and Benny is no exception. I love his personality and how nice he is to people. As a unit he's a Knight, and a damn good at that. I like him more than Effie.

Arthur: Fun character, but rather simple. Meh as a unit.

Iago: When he appeared for the first time, I was hyped. His design and VA were awesome, and I was seriously hoping he would come out with a masterplan of some sorts (Betraying Garon or something, I mean he would have been a better boss than suddenly Takumi). But in the end, all of my hopes and dreams were crushed, and instead we got a extremely boring character that has NOTHING interesting at all.