Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates character #1 - #65 (Check first page)

RoyLKing

Hana - Frail and benched. Not much to say about her as a character, except her support with Silas was awful.

Oboro - I ship her with Hinata because it was a damn good support, and it turns Hisame into a hilarious little wrecking ball. She did okay when she was with me, but Birthright is Lobster Central.

Anna - Oh, right, she exists.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hana - I'm getting the impression that not many people like her. Personally I quite like her, both design wise (probably one of my favourites) and personality wise. While she is quite agitated in Corrin's support I haven't seen her act like that in her other supports (And I've definitely seen worse supports) and she does have a somewhat legit reason for it. Considering how close she is to Sakura, seeing a close friend in pain for her would be hard to deal with, I can relate a bit to this as I've seen friends of mine having to deal with all kinds of shit caused by others and that tends to bring my blood to a boil. I suppose though in this situation it was out of Corrin's control, I guess there's just some miscommunication happening here and at the very least she does apologies for her actions in the end. Her relationship with Sakura is nice and I like her tomboyish attitude. Her performance reminded me of Mia from Path of Radiance as she's very much a glass cannon against physical enemies but also has some good RES and hits pretty damn hard. Her skill, while small is handy if she attacks a group of enemies first to help soften the others for the kill. She's one of my current MVPs in my current Revelations run. Her voice is quite cute too.

You spoke right out of my soul, friend.

I would personally add to this that she was the only mother who turned Kana into a genuinely good unit during my playthroughs.

And the fact that she always outperformed Ryoma, no matter the situation or playthrough.

Oboro

Weirdest design by far. Seriously, seeing that face at night would make me sleepless for days and not in a good way...

Be that as it may, I like Oboro's personality and voice a lot. Only thing wrong with her is her stupid crush on Taku-douche.

Anna

Her gold-digger tendencies get old really fast. I liked you more when you were a sassy tutorial lady.

#61: Hana

She was a decent swordsman, up until Ryoma joins. I didn't see much of her supports but I thought the Corrin one was funny, not in a good way but still.

#62: Oboro

She's cool, best spearman in the game outside of Shiro. Her support with Takumi is one of my favorites in the game. Oboro is cool.

#62.5: Anna

Anna's whatever for me. Not bad or great either.

THE FINAL POST

Today's final characters are Elise, Ryoma, and Anakos. What is your opinion on those characters?

Elise: "An annoying spoiled brat spoiled brat loli who's only redeeming qualities seems to be shattering suspension of disbelief that you're in a fire emblem game every time she opens her dumb mouth" - GhastStation 2K16

And I honestly really agree, people like Elise because she's "cute" and "funny", but the only thing I'm seeing someone that makes me wanna throw my 3DS out of the window every time she opens her mouth because of how idiotic she is. Lissa was at least smart, Elise is just retarded. Why does she have so much importance in the plot when she doesn't even deserve it to begin with. People say she has development but the only development I ever saw was a text saying she became a perfect princess, yeah right.

[spoiler={Plot Spoilers}]

Her death in Birthright is also pretty darn dumb, not only does she come out of no where, she dies so quickly yet is able to tank a head-on Fujin Yumi hit and a strike from Goey yet can't take a hit from a sword swing of Xander? Also the fact that she just appeared there even though that should've been impossible. I honestly just laughed at her death because of how random it was, I was literally laughing.

I'll give her some pros though, she has a good design and I appreciate that she helped Sakura in that time in conquest.

Unit-wise, I don't like using Elise at all, she's too frail and gets killed too easily, while on the other hand, Sakura can actually survive in battle, I never got how healers on mounted horses are better than ones on foot, they sacrifice defense points just for more movement, not that I will need that movement anyway since I ALWAYS keep my on foot healers close to me, rods also help those on foot healers more.

Ryoma: If there's anything that I will remember from Fates, it's this guy. This guy has so much good stuff to him, from his unique design, to his OUTSTANDING voice, to that moment in the story, to his great gameplay.

I like Ryoma's character where he's a king who cares for his country and his family.

His voice actor really fits him well too, I really enjoy his critical quotes with it.

[spoiler={plot spoilers}]

I also think his death in Conquest was the only good death in fates, heck I felt some emotion when he died too

As for his gameplay, he's a fucking beast, Rajinto is the only weapon he'll ever need, he has a 1-2 range and has no consequences using Rajinto, he'll make the hit rate of his enemies so low they'll look non-existent, he has a pretty high crit rate he'll be critting most of the time, swordmaster fits him pretty well too, since he gets access to both Astra and Vantage which make him even more broken than before, I took down a Xander in one hit before with my Ryoma (he was paired with Shiro) in PvP before, that's how amazing he is.

Anakos: I still didn't get to him yet, but how he turned from good to evil isn't original.

......And with that, my topic ends here, no more characters to review (unless you wanna review Japanese Emmyren). I had a pretty good time reading (and sometimes suffering) from you people's different opinions, but alas, things must come to an end.

I did pick up Awakening yesterday though (had a bad first impression from it), so I might be able to make a similar post with the characters' of awakening, I'll update this post if I ever decide to do that.

Elise: Best of the Nohr Royals just due to her role in Birthright. Otherwise, cute and that's literally all. Unit-wise, fast and can hit a guy hard when she can, but God forbid anyone with a decent strength stat sneeze on her.

Ryoma: Someone nerf this man. Like seriously, it says something when he can solo maps when a lot of others can't. Character-wise, he's one of the better royals.

Anakos: Why are you in this game, again?

Here we go, my final nail in the coffin.

Elise

One of only two Royals I still like (for anyone curious, Sakura is the other). Elise isn't just 'cute' and 'funny', but also a very deep and tragic character who can't stand her family breaking up. The reason I like Elise so much is because I can relate to her. My family isn't exactly on the best of terms either and I had to watch it break up without the ability to do f***-all as a young kid, beside keeping up a front of being a happy guy. Elise's backstory and character speaks to me, in a way, kinda like Nowi did back in Awakening.

As a unit, Elise is most likely the single most powerful magic user in the entire game (barring an Elise-mothered Ophelia, for obvious reasons), but as someone else already stated, as soon as a physical fighter so much as lays an eye on her, she's dead. But there's a reason she can get an A+ support with fellow princess Sakura, that reason being Miracle (and Renewal, Countermagic and Tomefaire, I guess).

Ryoma

Like Xander, I thought he was decent, but unlike Xander, who was ruined in-story, Ryoma was ruined by something else: The unbearable hype surrounding this guy. Seriously, I have played through Birthright Normal and Hard AT LEAST five times now (and I will attempt Lunatic soon) and have never seen the so-called 'brokenness' of this guy everyone always goes on about. The Raijinto doesn't make him better than anyone else, to be brutally honest and I had better experiences just keeping on using Hana or even Corrin as my go-to Swordmasters. Even with Vantage and Astra and a pair-up, this dude couldn't survive crap, let alone 'solo the game'. Sorry, Ryoma, I used to think you were cool, but the annoying hype surrounding you has soured my impression of you. At least he's one of the more reasonable Royals in-story, so he's got that going for him, unlike a certain brother of his, who is also hyped beyond belief.

Disclaimer: My above rant doesn't mean that I think Ryoma is bad as a unit. In fact, if Hana wasn't in this/if you didn't get her as early as you do, Ryoma would probably be my go-to Swordmaster. It just means that to me, he doesn't deserve the credit he is given by almost everyone.

Anankos

This guy gives dragons a bad name. His backstory is interesting, but the game does nothing with it. In fact, if you didn't play the DLC, Anankos would be the possibly most boring villain there ever was, if not for his almost alien design and awesome introduction cutscene.

I could name at least five villains which had better/more fleshed out backgrounds/motivations/characters if I tried:

Hilda (Stella Glow)
Anne (Bravely Second: End Layer)

Ashnard (Fire Emblem Path of Radiance)

Zant (Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)

Gaius (Tales of Xillia)

Orochi (Okami)

That's six. And I still have even more on my mind.

Get out, Anankos, is what I'm trying to say here.

Elise:

Ah, yes, the girl that doesn't act as the adult she tecnically is(Is this joke still relevant?).

Okay, jokes aside, I really like Elise in BR's story, but as a character herself, I don't like as much as she is quite annoying, tough I still enjoy some of her supports

As a unit, Elise has high magic and speed, but her skill is really terrible.

Ryoma:

This man is not only the best SwordMaster in the game, but also one of the best in the series: high strength, skill and speed that allows him to one-round many enemy, Raijinto and has enough avoid to dodge most of the attacks he will get, tough he can be unlucky and get killed.

I like his personality as well.

Anankos:

For Anankos, my opinion is mixed:

On one hand, I like his dragon form, his final boss battle(especially in Heirs of Fate) and his backstory; on the other hand, tough, he is a very one-sided villain and his presence didn't really help the story - heck, I would say It has done the opposite.

Japanese Emmeryn/ Mikoto(I add her as a bonus since It seems that It's purely our choice to talk about her or not. If I misunderstood your post, I apologize):

Even tough she doesn't have much time in the game as a character, I like her: her design is beautiful and she knows how to make me feel sad, be It her death scene or (in particular) her dialogue with the Kana(s) in Heirs of Fate.

Elise - In the story, she's tolerable. Once she devolves into supports, I want to slap her. It's like she's two different characters, and that's not cool. As a unit, she was a staffbot.

Ryoma - Normally, I'd be a puddle of goo over guys like him, but he just didn't do it for me. His supports range from unmemorable to decent (that's Ryoma/Xander), and my headcanon is that he eventually married Scarlet. As a unit, he's hilarious as a Paladin.

Anankos - Even after all of the backstory, I still think he's a badly-written villain. He had glimmers of brilliance here and there, but the Corrin narrative made sure to beat that down.

Elise is an adorable cinnamon roll with good supports and a really strong potential as a unit. With amazing availability, extremely solid growths in Magic, Speed and Res, and constant exp, she can be extremely good in both her base class and any class that uses Magic.

Ryoma as a character is kinda Chrom "2.0". I really can't see him as anything else, they just feel so similar to me. Not to mention they're both voiced by Matthew Mercer.

As a unit, I don't think he's broken as people say, but he has amazing offensive presence, and with an S-Support backing him up he can destroy entire maps right away with little to no investment. The Raijinto having small Crit, Avoid and 1-2 Range is already strong, but the +4 Strength and 0 penalties just break this weapon into infinity. Even without it, he still has a great Player Phase, easily able to ORKO most enemy units.

Anankos is [spoiler=Revelations Spoilers]boring and kinda runied the plot in a sense. I understand he's basically manipulating Garon, and by extension Hans and Iago, in order to bring both Hoshido and Nohr to ruin, but if Valla and Anankos didn't exist, I wholeheartedly think this game would be much better plot-wise. Just Hoshido and Nohr at war. Garon would probably be a more fleshed out character too!

Hell, maybe just make Revelations part of the main game! That would solve it! Make it so that once the Kingdoms are rebuilding, Anankos attacks, which I believe was his initial plan anyways. Honestly the entire plot around Anankos is just a waste of good potential to all 3 routes.

Edited by TrueEm

wow op, you put in two characters that i ship together 100% of the time... lmao

Elise

I didn't think I'd like her, but I did. Her voice was grating on me and I thought I'd like Sakura more (tbh I still do) and loathe Elise, but I didn't. In story she's pretty great and I don't mind some of her supports. (Just wish they'd have her act a *bit* more mature, please. She is technically an adult after all.) I have a soft spot for her support with Ryoma. Speak of the devil...

Ryoma

I instantly like him because I love anyone Matthew Mercer voices. Er, I like Ryoma. I've always liked his design and both voices. I didn't think I'd like him as much as I did, people say he's pretty bland and I can't deny his supports aren't as amazing as others, but I enjoyed them anyway. (His support with Oboro is cute btw.) Like everyone's said, he's basically a monster on the battlefield.

Anakos

not gonna say shit that eclipse already said for me

Elise

Why?

Ryouma

Who?

Anankos

What?

I can't tell if you're getting lazy with these or legit don't want to talk about them.

I don't blame you either way.

Elise

• adorable brat
  • I don't use you as a unit sorry
  • you made me almost cry in Birthright fuck you

Ryoma

• hello there sexy
  • fav older brother
  • great unit
  • your son is even better

Anankos

• I bet you look hot in your human form without a hood covering your face
  • I want you as future DLC
  • please take off your hood
  • honestly, thought you're kinda cool
  • what's up with your dragon form?

Either way

I decided to make a poll instead about what I'm going to do next, you can find it on the first page or here:

http://www.strawpoll.me/11030075

Now this isn't a guarantee that I'm gonna do one thing, but it might influence my decision.

I haven't finished the Tellius games so you know my vote.

Seems like I missed a few.

Rinkah: I wish she was a better unit! I do like her as a character, but her inability to work in all of my games has left her benched every single time! I will say though, why didn't she join in Conquest if she feels like she owes Corrin her life due to the whole prison break thing? It's a better excuse than Kaze's "you seem peaceful" thing.

Ignatius: Who? Another child character I didn't recruit because I don't use their dad? Eh, can't be assed to try and get him right now. He did have some funny 4koma comics though...

Garon: Blah blah blah horrible waste of potential, blah blah blah goo monster, blah blah blah competing for worst part of Conquest. He has been talked to death over and over again, and will continue to be talked about for being a one-dimensional character slotted into a position that requires a multi-faceted character.

Rhajat: Actually better than Tharja and therefore not deserving of the hate that heads her way a lot of the time. Damn shame she's a child unit!

Ophelia: An absolute beast on the battlefield thanks to that personal skill and personal weapon. Also has what I consider to be an adorable (and adorkable) personality, much like her dad. So, yeah. I like her.

Sumeragi: Should have had a bigger role, but most of the Revelations characters could have been better.

Kaden: No strong feelings either way. I do question his logic of attacking you in Conquest, but I question most things about Conquest, so... Next!

Keaton: He's actually pretty awesome. Solid unit and pretty humorous character.

Arete: (insert rant about yet another wasted character here)

Hana: Cute design, crippled by mediocre stats and for having poor characterization, existing for no other purpose than to kiss the ground her lady walks on. Pass.

Oboro: Best female Hoshidoan, both unit wise and character wise. I have yet to find a support of her's that I dislike, and I admire the fact that she recognizes that she is racist, and she wants to try and move beyond it, rather than wallowing in her hate. Easily the waifu for Revelations.

Anna: As silly and as meta as it is to have Anna locked behind a paywall, it is still a dirty move in my book. Unit wise, she is alright, but nothing special.

Elise: Best little sister. Very challenging to use as a unit given the fact that she dies to a sneeze from halfway across the map, but one of the strongest glass cannons in the game. I don't know why they tried to pass her off as an adult though, child soldiers are nothing new in Fire Emblem and even if the age when society considers people to be adults is 16, Elise can't pass for 16.... Oh right, waifus and children without time skips... Regardless, I definitely like her better than Sakura.

Ryoma: Too OP plz nerf. In all seriousness, I actually do not like him all that much. His dialogue in the prologue chapters just rubbed me the wrong way I guess, and his supports are sub-par when compared to some of the other royals. Also a terrible leader and strategic thinker, but given Takmui's gallipoli gambit (i.e Conquest chapter 10) I get the feeling that being a shitty strategist runs in the family. Might explain why the need Yukimura all the time...

Anankos: I like to pretend that he doesn't exist. Grima had more development than this... thing (we can't really call him a dragon, he doesn't look like any dragon I've seen). He (and by extension, Valla) combined with the mary-sue that is Corrin and Garon's shitty character represent most of the key elements of what went wrong with Fates, in my opinion.

Edited by warchiefwilliams

Elise: Moe. So much moe, only rivalled in this department by some of the Hoshido characters.

Ryoma: Lobster samurai, crits literally every 2nd hit for some reason.

Anankos: What happens when a Dusk Dragon chokes on a giant ball that grows eyes for some reason and can shoot giant beams of light? You get Anankos!

It's been a long and arduous journey of shitting on all the unpopular characters. We finally made it.

Elise

Now, I did say at some point in the thread that I could relate to Sakura's timidness towards older figures. Well, there are ways I could relate to Elise as well. Obviously as a child, I was interested only in playing with friends and family. But as an adult, I can relate to her belief that true peace can ultimately be acquired and in the desire to befriend others. There's a sort of beautiful simplicity to her character that ties well into the themes of perpetual war, even if the story itself is trash. I do think her sacrifice scene in the end of BR was stupid, but due to no fault of her own; the stupidity is mostly on Xander's end.

Ryomer Gomez

So we got lobster man. Just like everyone else in the plot, ol' Ryoma's f'd in the A by the plot, though his is probably the most gentle. Throughout most of the story in CQ, he thinks you're brainwashed... which I guess is fine. But his final scene in it is kinda lame. Like, here you have the man/woman who led an army to destroy your entire nation and possibly killed your brother and eldest sister, and you're gonna kill yourself just because he/she doesn't want to kill you him/herself? For all you know, they're just hesitating because they used to love you, but are still ultimately aligned with everything Garon wants. Maybe Corn wanted to destroy Hoshido after all. Some find it emotional, but I just was confused as to how he ended up trusting me if he never trusted me since the beginning of CQ.

His supports are kind of dull, too. The only ones that are good are with characters that generally have good supports, so maybe it's more of a "them" thing than it is a "him" thing. He just feels like the infrastructure for the supports; he's there to set up the supports for others. The only exceptions are the Revelation specific ones.

Also, he is totally broken as a unit, but that defense ain't really going anywhere (though it's better than Hana Barbara's), so every time you send him out to fight a horde of strong foes, you're taking chances. A speed tank with vantage relies too much on chance, and with the stories I hear about the RNG in this game, it's pretty hard to rely on that. He's good for taking down strong foes and fending off against mutli-range enemies, but don't plop him down in a chokepoint unless you're out of options.

AnanKOS-MOS

The true big bad... *sigh* He might've been cool in a different game, but for what they were going for in this game, his existence ruins the entire story. What we could've had was a real, large scale war with leaders who have their own misguided reasons for fighting. Instead, we got Okay King/10 turned Saturday Morning Cartoon VillainTM thanks to some evil, conspiring Dragon God hidden in some alternate dimension that you can't talk about because "Dammit, we need to make this into a workable plot somehow!" It really truly is the premise that killed it. Or rather, the fact that the writers went with a premise that they couldn't turn into gold.

It's a real shame, because Anakin has a rather interesting design, and has a background that could work. It's just... this isn't his place for him.

Conclusion

Fates has a bad plot; that much, I'm sure most, if not all of us agree on. But that doesn't mean the characters themselves are also terrible. Admittedly, I don't hate a single one of these characters. Not even ones that give me ample reason to hate them. When I talk harshly about 'em, it's because I didn't care for them all that much or because I genuinely think their writing was shoddy, but neither of those things equate to loathing.

We had characters that are the center of controversies, some of which may have something to do with opinions we have outside of the game. We had characters that were little more than gimmicks set to appeal to niche tastes. We had dickwads and idiots. And we had characters who were simply screwed over by the plot.

But we also had some true stars. Characters that we love and remember. It's a reminder that plot and characters, while they're co-dependent, they don't entirely make one another. In truth, any anger I ever feel in a game is the short-term bursts of rage induced by RNG BS and other things that cause me to lose. The game, while it didn't always leave me feeling the emotions the writers intended for me to feel, it did ultimately make me laugh a number of times and it has kept me hooked. And unlike games such as Call of Duty or Bethesda RPG's, Fates made me genuinely care about a good chunk of the cast. So yes, in a way, Fates is better than a number of western AAA titles.

Elise

She's okay. She does have the most presence throughout the narrative, compared to the other siblings. She has some decent supports and, as a unit, she kicks ssa. Overall, not my favorite royal but she isn't the worst one.

Ryoma

Eh, I think his dad pulls off the Lobster Samurai look a bit better. His personality is relatively straightforward and can be a bit bland depending on which support conversation he is in. He is pretty OP with that weapon of his, but I can't trust him not to get slaughtered by the frequent 2% hits landing their mark because of how RNG is implemented in this game.

Anankos

smh

My first impressions of Elise were the same as many of you, in that she would probably play this anime trope straight and as a result, say and do nothing of consequence. But to the contrary, I find Elise to be the type of character who gets better the more you learn about her, since there are definitely shades of a well-rounded person hidden beneath the anime trope she embodies.

For example, there can be no argument against Elise's introduction to Forrest being one of her most solidly defining character moments. The same child Leo mocked and scorned for dressing how he pleased was immediately complimented and accepted by that same character you call immature. The first one to scold Leo for being a shitty father? Elise. The one who lead the charge to rescue him while Leo hesitated? Also Elise. Even when she's doing 'little sister' this and 'little sister' that, where's the counterargument for those moments of genuine insight wherein she embodies something more?

Let's not forget her being purveyor of peace that Corrin failed to be. All Corrin ever talks about is wanting to help people, but he/she doesn't do anything to embody the hope people place upon them, unlike Elise. There is actually a fair bit of social progression scattered about in her supports, such as her diplomacy toward the Hoshidan characters, knowing full well of the tension between their countries.

I'm also aware of the Devil's advocate. There are several supports of her just pestering others for no good reason, such as with Jakob, Kaze, and Keaton. Even her support with Kaze, however, exemplifies to some small degree the type of character she truly is when Kaze mentions how honored he is in response to Elise being excited to socialize with a Hoshidan. This is consistent with her other supports, wherein she is able to socialize with the Hoshidan royals effortlessly, and even plans to don Hoshidan fashion in hopes that her subjects will be more accepting of their culture. I think her selfishness contrasts well with her moments of maturity in a coming-of-age sort of way.

I think the criticisms against Elise's character being a little too immature at times are fair enough, but they are juxtaposed against some genuinely great character moments. It's fair to say that she is one of the better-written ones in Fates.

Edited by Inference

Keaton: He alright. Im not too into his personality because its kinda annoying, but as a unit, he cool. His design is alright too.

Kaden: Im very fond of him. Not really husbando material but a fun dude. I like his kid too. As a unit, hes usually doing a lot on my BR/Rev runs. Very speedy.

Arete: Wasted Potential/10. Her design is cool though. But i felt like in Rev, shes just an excuse to get emotional without a lot of substance.

Hana: Shes cute, but a little dull. I dont mind her though. I dont usually use her cuz shes too squishy, but i have used her before and shes got decent output. I like her supports with Tsubaki.

Oboro: GLORIOUS WAIFU, HOW I LOVE THEE! I really love Oboro. Shes one of the best characters in the game, hands down. Shes got it where it counts everywhere. Her character is adorable but well written. She loves her late parents and is determined to keep the old business going. She has every reason to be anti-Nohr. I love her supports with Takumi the most. Her design is exceptional. As a unit, shes one of the best in the game. Hail to the queen!

Anna: Meh. Like honestly? I got her DLC because i wanted to complete the character roster, but eehhhhh. I find Awakening Anna better simply because her situation is more beneficial to the player.

Elise: One of my favorite characters in the game. Im really fond of her plucky, yet not completely thick personality. Shes too cute for color tv. As a unit, shes never failed me tbh. I havent tried the famous Malig Knight Elise yet though.

Ryoma: Hail to the Lobster Lord. Hes a good character, and his bushido side goes nicely with the BR side of things. Hes also a lowkey turbo nerd and im ok with that. His design is cool and eye catching. As a unit, hes probably like, the best guy ever. Push Lobster to win. Raijinto is fucking great and Ryoma dodge-tanks the most reliably out of just about everyone in the game.

Anankos: Ehh. At least we know WHY he wanted to nuke the world. He was batshit insane, and had a battle of wills it looks like. (judging from the Hidden Truths DLC) Thats more than i can say for Grima. Overall though, hes a pretty weak Big Bad. His design is really cool and a bit Lovecraftian though.

Elise

Saw her and thought: hate this stupid design, hate the obvious loli bait, can she say anything other than onii-chan.

But then I actually got the game. She's one of my favourites. She's the most proactive Nohrian despite (because of) her age and inexperience, in all routes. Her personality could've been annoying but it's a nice break from all the terrible stuff going on in Nohr and in Conquest. Her role in Birthright works for me, and I was really impressed by how important she turned out to be. As a unit, she's amazing. Staves are obviously useful enough, and once she promotes she can help take down the odd enemy with her high magic.

Ryoma

BROKEN AS FUCK.

He's a little bland for me, but likeable enough, and his late game Conquest appearance is great.

At the risk of igniting a flame war, I think he was totally justified in the whole medicine situation.

Anankos

I like what they were going for with the whole "he's a god whose creations forgot him and now he's angry". But that's literally told in a one-liner in the main game, and is all the backstory we get. I don't care about Anankos which means I have no motivation to take him down, which defeats the purpose of Revelation.

It's gross that they then sold his backstory in multiple DLCs.