Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates character #1 - #65 (Check first page)

RoyLKing

@OP Izana's a playable unit in both paths. I think he should say #37.

I swear we can make a drinking game with how many things that Fates did wrong story and character wise, but I don't want a bunch of people dying from alcohol poisoning. But anyways:

33: Benny

He's a cute guy, with a badass design I'll admit. Haven't used him like... at all, but I can admit that looks like a good unit base wise and PS wise.

34: Arthur

I actually love it when culture troupes are made into one character, and done well, and Arthur does the job well. For one, I like how he actually looks like a western cartoon action hero. It showcases a good understanding of multiple styles and creativity. His flamboyant personalty is also amusing. As a unit, he's hard to use because of that luck stat and that personal skill. He usually gets benched after I get Charlotte or make Beruka into a Fighter.

34.5: Iago

He looks cool, has a cool voice, but he's a little bitch. That's all.

35: Hisame

Not much to say. He has a simple design, but I've never actually gotten him, yet.

36: Camilla

All hail the queen of fanservice... But to be serious, I honestly don't think that Camilla is as terrible as others sought her out to be, in everything. I actually like her design, for one thing. If it wasn't for her bottom area other than side flaps, I'd think that her design wouldn't come close to being fanservice. The top area shows cleavage, but that's all. The plating and color scheme of her top is very nice. Also if it wasn't for those two cutscenes(the one when you first fight her and when you bump into her after you beat Conquest) she wouldn't get all of this flak for just being there for fanservice. In terms of character, I think that she's actually good to an extent. I actually find the M!Corrin/Camilla and the Silas/Camilla Support borderline hilarious. Her support with Niles is also a good one. The Yandere sections tho... don't really like them, but don't really hate them. Like that scene that like 80% of the people quoted and responded to from Conquest after one person brought it up, I'll admit that was stupid and possibly the worst of all Camilla's(and Hinoka's) moments. I get the whole wanting to protect your family due to her backstory, but the Yandere was unnecessary, imo. Other than that, she's not that bad and not really super infuriating, imo. Unit wise I don't need to say anything because unless you're doing a playthrough where you don't use pre promotes, why would not want to use her?

36.5: Izana

He's a funny guy that reminds me of a Henry for some reason, both design wise and personally wise. I don't think I'm gonna use him as unit tho, because he'll get outshined by other and that personal skill.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@OP Izana's a playable unit in both paths. I think he should say #37.

Check my earlier comment about that subject

This one might cause a bit of a commotion

So today's character are Hisame and Camilla. Plus, I decided to make Izana a bonus character since there isn't much to say about Izana that has been said about corrinsexuals, and the fact I could get another character to talk about more than Izana.

I've only used Hisame once, and it was at the end of Birthright. So, what I mean to say is I've never really used Hisame outside of his own paralogue. While I too love Pickles and pickling things (Pickled beets are fucking amazing), I haven't seen enough of his supports to say whether it's overboard or not. I do have to say, I dislike using it in the S-Support quote. When those are used a jokes, like with Effie, I get a bit pissed off.

Camilla is... there. I've never really liked her, nor have I disliked her. As a unit she's one of the best in Conquest and Revelations, with great bases, availability and growths.

Izana is cool. He's part of the plot, and comes into your army either as a decent Onmyoji or a Rallybot depending on what you need. He's not bad, although some of his jokes make no sense considering the context of the general time period.

Hisame: The only thing I really remember about him is the outcry about the pickles addition, which after reading some of his supports, I realized was just exaggeration and otherwise he was relatively fine. Other then that though, I can't say he left an impression on me, but he's OK from what I remember.

Camilla: I have a complicated relationship with Camilla. When I first saw her, my first thought was "oh, here's the token fanservice character, shouldn't expect much from her," but then I read the Niles support during the wait for the game and I got hopeful because it gave a neat perspective to her character. Then I got the game and that tanked once I read through most of her supports and interactions with other characters.

I think my biggest gripe is that she has some wasted potential, she has a backstory with the concubines that potentially could've led to some interesting development, she's supposed to be the mother figure among her siblings, and she's a royal, which should give her a good amount of story presence. Does most of that lead into anything? Not really. The concubine wars only pops up twice for her character, once with Niles, the other in the DLC with Azura, otherwise it doesn't come up at all. Even with that in mind, it's just a backstory dump that happens in the A support, so while it gives us a perspective, it doesn't lead into anything bigger with the character (the Azura convo is actually kind of neat, which pisses me off even more that it's not in the actual game). Her motherly characterization ends up being horribly overshadowed by her lust and overdoting over for the Avatar, so it just comes off as incest pandering rather then a true role for the character, and she accomplishes little in the actual story aside from a few moments. She does have a few good points such as with Beruka in the DLC, but then you have things like her comments towards Selena and Hinoka and she heads right back into creepy territory. So at her core, she really is a fanservice driven character meant to pander to the Avatar, and it's a shame that it had to be that way. I see a character that could've been handled a lot better, but she was not allowed the chance to be much more then what she appeared to be.

To her credit though, she's a great unit.

Izana: Fun guy, shame the story kills him off so pointlessly.

Edited by Medeus

Hisame: He probably is my favorite children just because of how down to earth he is. It actually feels like an actual person because his gimmick is not that big of a deal on most of his supports. His character overall feels nice and calm, and his supports help him out a lot (His support with Ophelia is one of my favorites). Unit wise... eh, he's alright I guess.

Camilla: No. Get out. Even if you are an amazing unit, I despise your overall character.

Izana: My favorite character in Fates by a long shot, all thanks to the fact that he is not serious at all, and he feels extremely out of place for the times. That would be a bad thing under most situations, but since Fates' plot is so garbage, I don't really care about the "seriousness" and I want some more fun, and Izana brings plenty of hilarious lines but him. He's not "deep" or anything, but he is fun, and that's all I need. Too bad he's Corrinsexual and that he dies for no reason at all.

I actually hate Takumi just because Izana dies for him. Why must you take away my beatiful Izana!

Benny - He seems like a sweetie, but I didn't get to use him in Conquest because Effie was so much better by the time I got to him. I may have to try him out in a different playthrough.

Arthur - He is so ridiculous, I love him. Especially his voice, it just works so wonderfully. Never really used him as a unit though, he had too much trouble hitting stuff.

Iago - Like most people have said, he's really bland. The player really shouldn't be apathetic when one of the main antagonists shows up, but, there you go.

Hisame - Haven't recruited him yet.

Camilla - Oh Camilla. I had a due sense of apprehension on first seeing her, being so obviously a fanservice character, but I found her to be rather interesting in game. There's a lot of potential, and even the creepier aspects, while definitely making her a bad person, still make her an interesting character, in my opinion. Unfortunately, like a lot of Fates, it just wasn't executed well, which is a shame. Her twisted sense of affection could have been really fascinating if addressed. Awesome unit, though the design could have done without the battle panties. I can live with the cleavage, it's impractical but this is a video game, but the panties are just way too ridiculous.

Izana - He's hilarious, I liked him a lot more than I thought I would. Very annoyed at his death in Revelations. I'm totally accepting that headcanon that was mentioned earlier where he faked it just to make Takumi go along with Corrin. Never used him as a unit though.

PFFF

Hisame: Who? Oh you mean that one kid of that one guy i like, never use. I only got this kid once and ehhh. Other than his somewhat cute support with Rhajat, i found nothing really noteworthy about him. As a unit, he was ok. Nothing to write home about and seemed better in his class than his dad.

Camilla: I like her a lot. Shes pretty entertaining and has a cool backstory. I just wish there was more depth to her in the story and stuff. After a couple of scenes, shes just kinda there. Her more serious supports are pretty damn awesome though. As a unit, one of the best in the game really. She flies, she axes things in the face, she dragon veins, shes amazing.

Izana: Oh Izana <3 Hes just the best. Im salty about how he goes out in Rev though. I was gonna have my MU marry him, dammit! Hes really funny, but the downside is that he doesnt have much of a serious side that we can see right away. If it comes up in supports, i dont remember it. As a unit, hes alright. A more balanced onmyoji with some decent weapon ranks. Hes really not bad as filler.

I actually thought he looked okay with the darker green hair color, though.

But... you let him live his dream of having pickle-green hair!!!

I used the brightest green hair possible. It looked awful. Hisame looks better with dark hair IMO, so a forest green would've been perfect.

Oh, right, for Camilla, I haven't found anyone that looks as good with her hair color as she does. Which is a pity, because my headcanon of Tsubaki and Camilla would be one of the few that could pull it off IMO.

I used the brightest green hair possible. It looked awful. Hisame looks better with dark hair IMO, so a forest green would've been perfect.

Oh, right, for Camilla, I haven't found anyone that looks as good with her hair color as she does. Which is a pity, because my headcanon of Tsubaki and Camilla would be one of the few that could pull it off IMO.

I tend to stay away from the brighter shades and go for the darker, more saturated colors. I had an Avatar with the brightest blue shade and I married Ryoma. I'm sure I do not need to describe how I managed to ruin one of my favorite second gen. units.

Camilla's hair really doesn't look that great on many of the children to me, either. I mean, the only second gen. it looks decent on, in my opinion, is Nina and Velouria.

I legitimately left Camilla unmarried because I did not want her hair color tarnishing any of the children characters.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Hisame: I...actually forgot he existed. I remember my friend screaming about how his perfect character was ruined with the pickle thing. But reading his dialog he's just very chill.

Camilla: I like her? I actually surprised myself since when I first saw her I just thought "Fan service character!" I've seen some portrait edits of her with that scarf Barracuda wears and it fits her more than her fan servicy model. But yes, I like her, her character, her backstory actually has depth.I ended up marrying her to Hinoka, don't judge me.

Izana: He's pretty cool! Since I'm on Rev I'm tempted on recruiting him again and removing that pesky blue shield...

Edited by Berret

Benny: I've done only few of his supports, but he seems a relly sweet guy.

Bonus points for having Ignatius as his son.

Arthur: he is very gimmicky, but that doesn't stop to be hilarious to me, which is something reinforced by the Italian version of Fates, where he speaks in a very formal manner.

Also, his VA is amazing.

As a unit, Arthur has been very useful in some of my conquest run both as a berserker and hero.

Iago: cool design and voice, but that's it.

Hisame: I still have to see a lot of his supports, so I don't really have anything to say about him

Camilla:

She actually knows how to be an interesting character and her backstory adds some little depths on her character, but this side of her is overshadowed by her obsession towards Corrin, which makes her very annoying most of the time.

Izana: I like his funny personality. I just wished IS didn't decide to do whst they did in Revelation.

blah blah blah

time for some actual good character(s). Today's characters are Nina & Dwyer, what is your opinion on those characters?

Nina: Haven't recruited her yet so I do not know.

Dwyer:

oh do I love this guy so much, people tend to have Mitama as their favorite, but I'll never have anyone else than him be my favorite child. So when I first saw his prologue, he seemed like a gimmicky annoying child, but, just after the prologue, he decides to be better than his father and compete against him (which was pretty good in their support). This guy gets development from his supports too that I really like, from going to his gloomy personality in the first prologue, to being more active and responsive (but still keeping some of his old traits so it wouldn't seem like a forced development). This guy NEVER fails to make me laugh, he has one of the best supports in the game, and I still haven't even seen all of his supports yet.

....Unit wise, he isn't that much of praise-worthy, he's something that I'd need if I wanted a supportive unit in my team, he makes a pretty great butler too, better than both Felicia and Jakob, plus I prefer using him than the annoying, easily killed, Elise.

Nina - Her character's pretty interesting. I liked the Robin Hood attitude in her paralogue and I found her love for yaoi funny. She also has a pretty good set of supports and rocks so many hair colors well. Purple and light pale blue are the best hair colors for her though fite me

Dwyer - I preferred his paralogue dialogue in the Japanese version much more, as it showed how he was very hardworking during his time away from his parents even though he appeared lazy. Unpopular opinion here but I did not like the "Slappyface" *shot* With that being said, though, he's decent. I haven't gotten many supports from him, but the few that I did get were nice. Except for Jakob's. Jesus, how can he be such a dick even to his son?

So I'll be straight up about this, Nina is legit my waifu. Her voice work and general in combat/in-chapter lines are all fantastic, her color palate as an adventurer/outlaw is just fantastic and her gimmic as a socially awkward yaoi shipper is... really damn cute. Her father/mother supports are well done overall as are her same gender and "most" of her S support options. (Nina x Shiro is just fantastic)

Also she's one of the top 5 units in fates, so I get to use her on every single run through CQ/Rev

Dwyer: Slappyface is powerful, his supports are universally good and he's a paladin with inherent tomebreaker who wields the levin/BN for strong 1-2 range without sacrificing accuracy or physical damage.

Damn, two kids, aka two characters I don't care about.

Nina

Like her Robin Hood thing, dislike her having a fetish for gay men and shipping real guys.

Dwyer

Oh look it's L. That's basically all I know.

Nina: I hate yaoi fangirls with a passion, she is never recruited.

Dwyer: He seemed a bit bland when I went to recruit him, but I started warming up to him as time went on. Jakob is a giant butt to him in his supports though. A little view into my game, I didn't bother to pair Jakob and there were no other guys to S support with until I updated the hack I use that ended up giving Gunter more support options.... SO

I really hope that Gunter would be more of a gentle father compared to Jakob for Dwyer's sanity.

Nina: I'm pretty neutral to her overall. She's not bad, but neither is one of my favorites.

Dwyer: I find this guy to be pretty fun, mostly because I have a friend who's very similar to him, so I could relate to it's overall character. As a unit, he worked wonderfully in my team as a Strategist.

Nina: I fucking love this girl, haven't married her before but definitely in a second play through. Her paralogue is the best in the game, her relationship with Niles is very well structured, if you can raise her right she will make Master Ninja's her bitches, Bow Knight Nina will help you beat that stupid Chapter 24 Revelations without alerting the guards and she was a life saver in Chapter 25 and the Endgame in Conquest. I actually tolerate her boy on boy fantasy trope more than Soleils gimmick, because I rarely see her mention it in a sexual way and it comes of as her being into bromances and c'mon we all love a bit of bromance once in a while. Her Robin Hood design is very cute and I ship her with Forrest so much. If I can think of one thing about her I really don't like about her is her model in MyRoom, her face looks like a lizard...

Dwyer: I want to like this guy so much, but it's so hard to make him a better butler than his dad without having aptitude. By his design, he would be a fitting candidate for a Ghost Type Gym Leader in Pokemon. I like how he comes of as a slacker but he at least does his job, especially in his Kiragi C support and the rivalry between him and Jakob is funny.

Nina: Cute design, and I like her more than I thought I would. That said, I'm still not a fan of the general premise of her character & if it had been turned on her male support partners more properly (like Soleil creepin' on her female partners), I'd probably be far more turned off. Can't tell if she's supposed to be poking fun at fujoshi & shipper culture or just a simple face value joke.

Dwyer: Eh... He's got some supports I like, and others I really just don't. Ultimately, the localization decision with the whole 'slappy-face' deal really turned me off his character because it's just not my brand of humor. Hard to get around a first impression like that.

Edited by blinkingbrave

Nina:

My second favorite child in the game. She's pretty amazing and always will be.

Dwyer:

I haven't used him much because I really don't need or want him. Plus I barely even use his daddy as well. There are just other kids that I use instead of Dwyer. In fact I rather use kids like Forrest and Mitama over Dwyer. Maybe I will use him one day. Maybe.

Nina - She shows that stalking is okay, as long as it's a girl doing it.

Dwyer - Hoo boy, he's got the worst personal skill. Pair daddy with a magical girl, and he can be a legit funny Grandmaster.