Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates character #1 - #65 (Check first page)

RoyLKing

Xander is great when you remember he's basically an abuse victim who's just trying to do what he can as his beloved family falls apart on himself, and don't take it at face value that hoshido==good and nohr==bad. As a unit he's basically a second Silas, so pretty chill in my book.

No opinion on Asugi, have literally never recruited him.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Setsuna - Wrecked face with Takumi, even if they never married. Her personality's meh, and her convos with Tsubaki feel really contrieved. Like, moreso than normal.

Soliel - She's probably the second-most complicated character, right after Peri (and unlike Nina, she gets called out for her shit, and yes I have a very low opinion of whoever likes Nina but doesn't like Soliel because the latter has no regard for social boundaries). Luckily, her personal skill is pretty easy to pull off, so as long as her mother isn't Orochi, Beruka, or Felicia, she'll do okay.

Reina - One day, I'll get her supports. She really shouldv'e had one with Orochi, at least.

Xander - As a character, he bores me. As a unit, I like turning him into a Swordmaster while Ryoma becomes a Paladin.

Asugi - It's like Gaius with a rebellious streak, which doesn't work for me at all. He's pretty funny as a hybrid/magical unit, though.

Edited by eclipse

Ah, ok. Anyways, it's because all other FEs are either completely separate or direct sequels. They don't have any connections like Awakening and Fates.

Doesn't excuse it, but still.

I haven't played the DLC where you find out how the awakening trio got into the fates universe yet but I assume that's the connection between awakening and fates your referring to? Or is it just that the ripoff characters are supposed "reincarnates" (from what I've heard) of some of awakenings characters? I have a feeling its gonna be in relations to the dragon gate of Fates or the outrealms gate of their universe. Considering the writing quality of both Awakening and Fates I wouldn't be surprised if it just that.

Edited by Naturesshadow

Xander is great when you remember he's basically an abuse victim who's just trying to do what he can as his beloved family falls apart on himself, and don't take it at face value that hoshido==good and nohr==bad. As a unit he's basically a second Silas, so pretty chill in my book.

Could you explain what you mean by this?

Xander: Suffered the worse in the writing, I love him in his supports but not so much during the main story, while I do sort of see what they were trying to do, they failed.

Asugi: Never bothered to recruit him, never will.

I haven't played the DLC where you find out how the awakening trio got into the fates universe yet but I assume that's the connection between awakening and fates your referring to? Or is it just that the ripoff characters are supposed "reincarnates" (from what I've heard) of some of awakenings characters? I have a feeling its gonna be in relations to the dragon gate of Fates or the outrealms gate of their universe. Considering the writing quality of both Awakening and Fates I wouldn't be surprised if it just that.

Yeah pretty much. Inigo, Sevvy and Owain get some closure and good reasoning to be in Fates. Granted, it should've been Revelations that gave us that info, but still. It has nothing to do with the Dragon's Gate, that's just the DLC gate.

If you've played Revelations, this isn't spoiler.

Anankos brought them through Time and Space to find Corrin and help him defeat Anankos, as he knew he was losing his mind. They didn't get his name, so they joined the Nohrian army to look for him basically. It also reveals that Corrin is Anankos' kid along with Lilith.

The "Reincarnations" are actually supposed to be ancestors, as they talk about meeting in the distant future, not past (The characters mean it hypothetically, but it should be taken literally), and Before Awakening basically solidifies it. Great idea, poor execution. Those four words basically sum up all of Fates to be quite honest.

Edited by TrueEm

Xander - I actually like Xander. He's a very good unit, and I like the supports I've seen so far. That said though, he really is terrible in the story. I think I was probably biased because I played Conquest first, and I was too busy enjoying the gameplay to even think about the story until after I was finished, and by that time I already really liked him. And I'd believe that he's feeling really conflicted throughout Birthright - he knew Garon the most out of all his siblings, and lived the longest under his rule. It's possible that he wouldn't even think of betraying Garon as an option in the first place. I mean, I know Revelations throws that out the window when everyone joins you, but from what I've heard, Revelations throws a lot of things out the window.

Asugi - I saw a bunch of ninjas in his paralogue and decided I wasn't in the mood to recruit him, so I haven't seen anything except the opening bit of his chapter. I wasn't particularly big on Gaius though. He wasn't bad, but I just didn't find him very interesting either. Lon'qu or Henry would have made much better expies, imo.

My impression was actually the opposite. I mean he was Garon's first child and the only child of the queen, he was brought up by the "real" Garon who we are told was actually a swell guy despite also being told he slept around and didn't do anything to stop his multiple mistresses from fighting each other and pitting his kids against each other... But ok Xander says he was a nice dad. Makes me think Xander was actually Garon's favourite child and was pampered growing up. I guess we could claim Xander suffers from affluenza. Edited by Book Bro

I don't know how it happened but

Today's Characters are Shiro and Siegbert

Shiro: I don't think I can talk about his character yet, but I'll talk about him gameplay wise. Shiro is a great kid for combat, he has access to tons of classes to get great skills like life and death, quixotic, rend heaven, ect, and he has pretty darn good stats. What's even better is, he's different from his father, he controls differently from his father, so you can use him and his father in the same team and pair them up together to get crazy stats for soloing.

Siegbert: I didn't recruit him yet, but I was kinda having more expectations for the little guy before seeing him in the actual game, now it's kinda less.

Shiro: rally speed onastick, free pass falco. End of usefulness. His supports make me wonder when the frozen 3 crossover will happen

Woops thats shigure

Shiro: Really cool dude, solid unit, I love his support chain with Nina.

Seigbert: Pairup bot/10, not named seigfreid. Actually a pretty chill dude all things considered.

Edited by joshcja

Shiro

One of the few kids I like. I wish he was a normal recruitable unit, because being locked away behind S supports means I almost never get him as I don't particularly focus on getting supports to S for everyone in a run. I love his class and unsurprisingly he's a good unit. His personality isn't so exciting but it's interesting in the context of being Ryoma's kid.

Siegbert

Haven't really experimented with him. I made him a Wyvern Lord on his join map but then benched him. Personality wise, he's cute.

Ninjas are really amazing units and are pretty much better theives tho. What's not to like? They still preform the same function + more.

Because I don't like ninjas in the media. Wether it be movies or videogames, they are not something I like at all.

On the other hand, Ninjas in Fates are nowhere near as fancy as Thieves.

Anyway, onto the characters.

Shiro: Awesome unit. He was one of my favorites since his starting class is one which I love. He was both an awesome heavy hitter and a useful Rally Bot. Character wise, I'm okay with him, he reminds me of Ike in a possitive manner.

Siegbert: I like how he tries hard to be worthy of his title, but I don't know if having Xander as your main inspiration is a good idea, especially when you consider the horribly unoriginal name he gave him. Haven't used him enough as a unit.

Shiro: He has a good design but his macho personality is sort of lacking to me. Being a Spear Fighter makes him a great unit by default since SF is broken af in Fates.

He also gets points for pointing out how moronic the whole children justification thing is.

Siegbert: Kind of redundant in Conquest but I do like his personality. If he could use Siegfried I would replace Xander with him in a heartbeat.

Could you explain what you mean by this?

not really keen on hijacking this topic but uhh, things we see hoshidans do:

-haul azura off to nohr to execute her on nohrian soil, presumably under orders from yukimura (cq9)

-invade a nohrian port because "nohrians are warlike" (cq10)

-try to kidnap the rainbow sage (cq11)

-invade nohr to barricade a medical facility (cq12)

-invade nohrian territory and incite internal disputes (cq13)

-attempt to assassinate garon in a neutral country (cq14)

-immediately attempt to fight corrin when they refuse to take a side (rev6)

-commit multiple genocides in the name of peace, blame garon for somehow making them do it (br wolf, ice tribe, and lategame chapters)

-invade nohr (br mid/lategame)

things we see nohrians do:

-invade hoshido when member of the royal family is abducted, immediately leave once they're safe (cq6)

-send a pitiful token force to some fort (br7)

-zola's ridiculous scheme that apparently was done with no oversight since nobody ever mentions it later or condones it (cq18, br9 i think?)

-invade hoshido in response to all the bullshit that happens in cq earlygame (cq lategame)

-allegedly send faceless to invade hoshido (ch4, never mentioned again)

also, no comment on shiro or siegbert 'cause i've used neither, though from what i've seen of siegbert he looks pretty boring

Edited by DoesntKnowHowToPlay

-haul azura off to nohr to execute her on nohrian soil, presumably under orders from yukimura (cq9)

-commit multiple genocides in the name of peace, blame garon for somehow making them do it (br wolf, ice tribe, and lategame chapters)

You are aware that Hoshido did all of this in self-defense right?

Nohr attacked them for no reason before all of this, so this is all justified.

About the characters, won't post all of them, becuase it's a litte too much.

Shiro: My favorite kid.

Great design, great personality and great unit.

There's very little to dislike in Shiro.

Siegbert:

I like him. And I like how they portrayed the pressure of being a crown prince.

My opinions on both Shiro and Siegbert can best be summarized as "They are good characters, crippled by their nature as child units." There really isn't anything else for me to say, other than Siegbert's mullet looks better if it is blonde than any other color. Good thing Charlotte works best as his mother (if you ask me)...

Xander: Decent unit, but he is a massive hypocrite. He warns Corrin about how Hans is a criminal that shouldn't be trust, says the guy who hired a psychopath who will kill anyone for fun called Peri as a retainer, oh wait, in their S support turns out that he hired her because he thought she was hot. He holds the most useful personal weapon in the game, second t the Omega Yato and a good ninja killer despite the weapon disadvantage. I like his Charlotte supports.

Asugi: Despite me not using him that much, he's probably my favorite of the Awakening doppelgangers. Yeah he has Gaius's sweettooth but aleast with they made it so that he is part of a long line of ninjas, so they gave him some character for that and some conflict for him.

Shiro: This guy is cool, great relationship with his dad, a tanky spear master. I really ship him with Caeldori because of their good supports and how they both feel over shadowed by their fathers talents.

Siegbert: I like how him and Shiro both follow 2 common traits in past FE lords. Shiro is the prince that's immature, arrogant and reckless but has a more laid back approach like Hector and Ike. Siegbert is mature and polite but takes his royal duties to seriously like Marth and Eliwood. But anyway, Siegbert is alright, hated him at first because he reminded me of a certain blonde asshole of a prince in a popular fantasy series. Good unit but is more easily overshadowed out of the royal sons due him not being able to use his fathers weapon.

Shiro: Really cool dude and my favorite male child. I get a lot of Hector and Ephraim vibes from him; reckless, confident, hotblooded, brash warrior princes with a heart of gold. I also, like how he calls Ryoma out for how dumb the deep realms are. He's really good looking too. Great unit too. I like a lot of his supports and I ship him with Nina.

Siegbert: He's just kinda there. Pretty bland and boring. I get that he's supposed to be the "serious kid that's awkward", but I feel Hisame pulls that off better That mullet should be considered child abuse.

Ah, so finally we break free from the world of controversies. How long will it last?

Shiro

So lots of people seem to dig the royal children; that is, those born from the Nohrian and Hoshidan princes. Shiro's probably one of the most popular, if not, the most popular gen 2 dude. And I totally get it. He's one of the few that isn't centered around horrible controversy, for one thing. He also has plenty of legit supports. Some people compare him to past FE lords, and I think those are apt comparisons. Brash, but has his heart in the right place.

Siegbert

So some people say that Hisame is a standard chum (which he is), but Siegbert is a standard elite. He's just concerned with living up to the expectations of a future king. I've not really run into particularly interesting supports with him. I guess comparisons between him and past FE lords are also apt, but only with the more... standard chums. Serious, yet socially awkward. He isn't overly hateable, but I'm not fanboying over him. The least favored of the royal children, I think.

Shiro

When I first saw him I was slightly worried he'd be a dudebro type. Instead we get a pretty nice guy who has dad issues, is brash, and overall... well one of the better kids. I really like his support with Caeldori and I ship these two pretty hard. His support with Nina... wasn't actually that bad either, despite it having things to do with her fujoshi side. Shiro would be a guy I'd probably be best friends with. Also super cute with Elise's/Rinkah's hair color imo.

Siegbert

Kinda of boring, dumb hair, but definitely not really bad. He's pleasant and sweet with some decent supports. What I didn't expect out of him was to end up enjoying Mitama x Siegbert. It was actually really, really cute. Mitama does her usual and falls asleep at the end and tells him she'll be dreaming of him. It's... super cute actually.

Shiro

One of my favorite kids and units, in terms design, performance as a unit and voice direction. He is essentially Hinata, except with the added element of being Ryoma's son. I like to head!canon the reason he acts so similar to Hinata is because he watched him during on of the sparring tournaments (similar to the one in HinaTaku's support) and began admiring him as he grew up (in a world where children were born after the story ends). Overall, he's a Cool Cat. I actually prefer him with F!Kana because I watched this Korean movie called My Little Bride and I keep imagining them together in a similar manner.

Siegbert

I like this kid, though as mentioned, he suffers from being a second gen. unit. I honestly believe all of the kids would have benefited from cross generational supports; some supports with perhaps his aunts and uncles would have helped. I haven't actually done many supports of many of the children but I did enjoy his with Xander, despite him not being rightfully bitter about being ditched in the DeepBolic HyperRealms. I just assume Xander visited him more often than most parents for whatever reason.

things we see nohrians do:

-invade hoshido when member of the royal family is abducted, immediately leave once they're safe (cq6)

-send a pitiful token force to some fort (br7)

-zola's ridiculous scheme that apparently was done with no oversight since nobody ever mentions it later or condones it (cq18, br9 i think?)

-invade hoshido in response to all the bullshit that happens in cq earlygame (cq lategame)

-allegedly send faceless to invade hoshido (ch4, never mentioned again)

also, no comment on shiro or siegbert 'cause i've used neither, though from what i've seen of siegbert he looks pretty boring

You forgot the part where Horea (explanation below) attempts to outright brainwash the main protagonist into believing they're family and should cut down all they ever loved for glorious leader in the poorly contrived shitpost that was ch4.

But seriously. I had a recent Epiphany. Hoshido = North Korea. (Or isolationist Japan, same thing)

You only see screens of how staggeringly beautiful the capitol is, yet villagers all wear rags and apparently hunt fucking bears and wild boars to survive.

The reins of power are passed down from father to borderline insane and megalomaniacal son (One thinks he's a lobster, the other is named Takumi).

Nobody in hoshido complains, at all, ever, a clear sign of secret police and backroom vanishings because apparently people get kidnapped and shipped off to fuckallknowswhere on a day to day basis there.

Extreme Isolationist tendencies combined with an apparently huge (and horribly outdated) military made to fight an overly propogandaed "the evil" that... never invades until provoked by Horea's multiple outright violations of international law (invading multiple neighboring countries, constant assassinations and human rights violations).

But the glorious leader can do no wrong. Now get back to the rice fields.

Fuck the nation even has a huge and very poorly placed series of wasteful construction projects that just scream "blood in the mortar".

Everything the plot blames on Nhor either comes from Shura/the country mokoshu merked, or the faceless who...terrorize both sides without discrimination.

While Nhor apparently. Has enough wealth and prosperity despite what Horea says that

The lowest paupers in the slums can afford fine tailoring and decent food.

Good sameritain style peoples help abused foreigners, in the worst slums

The princess of the nation just walks around said worst slums with no fear whatsoever.

Solid neutral country relations are maintained with everything not named Horea.

Maintains multiple (if restless) semi-autonomous outlieing colonies under very reasonable terms (classic educational hostages and light taxation if the ice tribe is any indicator).

The serving classes have a (considering the time period) huge amount of individual freedom and power, thought they still lack "privilege".

The more I learn about fateslandia the more "Hoshido good Nhor bad" begins to sound like "4 legs good 2 legs bad" in it's final thero's of "4 legs good 2 legs better"

Hell Mokoshu is even south Korea, no matter what happens it gets absolutely fucked by both sides as Hoshido trumps up an excuse to invade (Look how evil they are they kidnapped our deadly assasin sent to kill their leader) and the country is ruined by a 3 way war on homesoil

On topic: Yeah Xanders behavior makes perfect sense considering the amount of abuse he suffered as a child and the responsibility he shoulders.

Edited by joshcja

Shiro - First impressions were decent. Seems like the kind of character I can dig and being a spear fighter's a bonus (Love the debuff skills they get). Haven't used him much though so judgments up in the air atm. His designs pretty good too.

Siegbert - Same as Shiro, Haven't used him much so kinda hard to judge him atm. His design is okay, I think the hair looks a bit flat.

Shiro - first child character I was impressed with from a pure characterization standpoint as a standalone character, even not considering the fact he's lobster man's child. He's just so genuine and doesn't feel ridden by gimmicks. Feels like an actual person I'd hang out with. I consider him my son.

Siegbert - while by himself he doesn't score nearly as high as Shiro, he's still a fine character.

But I actually showed up to talk about these two because one thing I enjoy about both of them, is that I feel like they reflect the teenage versions of their own dads, in a way. Siegbert's anxieties and constant feelings of not measuring up properly matches up with Xander himself says about his own youth, and even his odd haircut fits with Xander's supports giving him the impression that he was a bit of a late bloomer. Ryoma doesn't quite say a lot about himself, but through his actions it's evident that despite having trained under waterfalls and has his shit together in less tense situations, he still has that recklessness in him (extra evident in Conquest, where the pressure is the highest and he is really cracking), just tied down with all his duties and responsibilities, whereas Shiro's recklessness and brashness manifests in a far more carefree manner.

Which, I find quite interesting with these four.

I think the reason i like Xander is because i push start through cutscenes. :V

Xander - As a character, he bores me. As a unit, I like turning him into a Swordmaster while Ryoma becomes a Paladin.

I AM NOT ALONE! I give these two each other's classes all the time in Rev, i love it!

Hey look, its kids i actually like having exist!

Shiro: Cute kid, kinda jock-ish but really a decent bloke under it all. I love his supports with Seigbert the best. As a unit, hes one of the better kids. With the right set-up, he can steamroll shit without even breaking too much of a sweat. In BR runs, Rinkah is my favorite mum for him.

Seigbert: Dat mullet of cuteness. I like how hes got his dad's Paladin palette! Kind of a contrast to his personality. Hes soft spoken and cute. As a unit, hes pretty good. My last run in Rev had him as Corn's kid with an A+ support with Shiro. It was goodshit.txt. This run, i got Effie as his mum, we'll see how that goes. (i think it might have wrecked his speed but I WANTED EFFIE AND ELISE TO BE GOOD-SISTERS, DAMMIT!)