Opinions on that Fire Emblem Fates character #1 - #65 (Check first page)

RoyLKing

Shiro - Unfortunately I haven't recruited Shiro yet. But, I like his design and I've heard good things, so I'm optimistic for when I do recruit him.

Siegbert - I like Siegbert. His inferiority complex with the pressure of inheriting the kingdom just seemed very realistic to me, and he seems like a sweet kid. Unfortunately he was kind of underwhelming as a unit, but that may just be because Selena was his mother.

Kiragi - I've not long gotten Kiragi, so I haven't had a chance to use him much, but... hunting seems to be mentioned a lot. Maybe his other supports develop him a bit more, I hope so, it seems like the sort of gimmick that would get tiring quickly. He didn't really stick out design-wise to me either.

Forrest - my son Like others have said, I was really surprised with just how well Forrest was handled. He's just really confident and secure in himself and does what he loves without reservation. He's a real smooth-talker too, his S support with Ophelia was adorable. And I like the character development with Leo - he's initially embarrassed at his son's behaviour, but once he realises that it makes him happy he makes an effort to understand, for Forrest's sake. I used him mostly for staves/troubadour auras/ferrying Ophelia around, but he did well at them. I really want to try him in a more combat-oriented role.

• Replies 718
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used him mostly for staves/troubadour auras/ferrying Ophelia around, but he did well at them. I really want to try him in a more combat-oriented role.

He has the potential to be an even harder magic hitter than Elise and, depending on parents, Ophelia. I've gotten him to get a magic stat of 40 with decent defenses (around 20), nice speed (30), and enough luck and skill to usually get 100% hit rates against enemies and 0% crit rates against him, and I'm pretty sure I've never once used a stat booster on him. Though that's the result of me grinding him a lot. However, I'm sure with the right mother, he can be right for you as a combatant. And if all else fails, he can be a killer staffbot, even capable of effectively using debuff staves and rods.

Beruka… she's Stephanie Sheh like? Have a soft spot for her VA as she's shown up in a lot of other works that I'm fond of. Well, she's Sophie and Rhajat/Tharja too, right? The Beruka and Sophie type voices are more familiar to me as Sheh's voice, whereas Tharja is more outside what I normally hear her typecast as.

I don't use Beruka that much, in honesty, given how much better Camilla is.

Caeldori. Cordelia 2.0, which results in me being massively biased in her favor. I also like her VA work by Julie Ann Taylor. Caeldori is probably not developed as well as Cordelia is, but I like the teacher stuff in the Corrin x Caeldori support (I've worked as a tutor). Locking her behind Subaki disadvantages her, although in this case this means I end up showing favoritism to Subaki, using him beyond when I'd otherwise, so that I can get his daughter and pass good skills to her. The character I most commonly have my Corrin marry. I'm frustrated by the -2 SPD that Subaki passes down to her, as it limits the SPD potential of Caeldori!Kanna.

We're continuing this.

Today's characters are Beruka and Caelodri, what is your opinion on those characters?

Beruka

This'll be a long one so I'll divide this into sections.

First impressions.

So when I was playing Birthright first, I got to see Beruka a couple of times in either was it a castle or in battle, either way, I needed someone to get my avatar married to in conquest, and I thought her design was good, so I gave it a try.

Character and Supports.

If you've seen Beruka's supports, you'll know that her emotions are "dead", and she has a backstory of why it's dead. So apparently she's a kid who's her parents left her for an assassin to raise, she grew up with him learning from him, after she began her assassin job, she was assigned to kill her master, and she did, and that's all fine and dandy, but why didn't she kill Xander when she first had the chance to begin with? Camilla is kinda a bit understandable I think, but in her support with Leo, she said she'll kill both ally or enemy if she was assigned to do so, so why didn't she kill xander to begin with. Now here's the problem with Beruka's supports, they're mostly going to be backstory dump where she reveals the same backstory to lots of people with little to no difference, but when she does have a support that isn't about her backstory, it'll make no sense or be absolutely weird, though her best supports in my opinion were with Laslow and Selena, since not only do those supports show more than a repeated backstory, they show some fun in them too, Selena's support even develops Beruka's character a bit.

As I was saying in my first impressions, I married her off to the avatar, her support with the avatar was actually good, and her "My House" quotes are pretty great in my opinion, Beruka's best chance to develop as a character is probably when she gets married off to a good someone, where she'll start to have feelings and emotions for them, and these My House Quotes are really great to show off the development.

Her supports also show that Beruka shouldn't be a wyvern rider but more of an assassin since it wouldn't make sense for a big wyvern to help in assassinating people in secret. (more reasons why thieves should've stayed).

DESIGN WISE.

Beruka's design is an armor and a head band, I really like the armor that she wears, since it has so many detail to it and the black color fits it even more with her characte.

As for her voice actor, I don't think it fits for a person who's emotions are dead, her voice should've been a bit deeper, and her damaged quotes make her sound like a chicken being hurt, it should've been a bit more silent to fit the emotionless thing.

I'm not a big fan of her critical quotes, since some of them like "Time to Play!" doesn't make sense.

Also,

how do you turn something that looks like THIS: http://image.prntscr.com/image/e9679d14581c467e87e79415ebae3dfb.png

TO SOMETHING THAT LOOKS LIKE THIS: http://image.prntscr.com/image/e0c88c1af4644b97b09445df92d52e60.png

GAMEPLAY WISE.

Since I'm not a fan of camilla, I decided to use Beruka because I was going to marry her off to the avatar in conquest and since I don't like Camilla.

Her stats are pretty great offensive wise, she'll get lots of defense, offense, and skill points from her growths and be able to wreck a lot of shit of the enemy, but here comes the next part, I think she's best as a fighter, since her stats will make up for the bad defense of warriors and she'll be better than Fighter!Camilla, Arthur, and Charlotte as a fighter so that's definitely great.

Her personal might seem a bit useless at first, but it's definitely a great skill once you know how to use it, it makes the use of weapons like javalin, hand axe, and tamahawk even better with that bonus damage, and she's pretty good for killing off archers for you too.

Definitely use her if you want a great offensive unit with great defense.

Caeldori:

Never got to see much of her supports, and never got to play awakening so I wouldn't know how Cordelia is like, but she had a pretty funny support with Dwyer.

Gameplay wise, I always use shigure since he seems to always overshadow her.

Edited by RoyLKing

Beruka:

Well, I am glad that she turned out quite well enough. I would have hated having to use Camilla. But objectively speaking Camilla blows her out of the water. As a character... well, I've married her and I have still yet to see anything that elevates her beyond being a 8/15 kuudere. It doesn't exactly help that she even looks like Rei Ayanami. It's also bugs me that she is supposedly an assassin, yet she uses axes as a weapon.

Caeldori:

Cordelia I guess? So there even more characters like Tispra in this game? I guess Dark Dragon aren't the only beings who are kept alive by the evil in the hearts of mankind. Anyway, it's kinda hilarious how IS felt the need to make copies of characters who were shallow stock characters in the first place. Cordelia was particularly embarrassing in how obvious it was that she belonged into an entirely different setting with how her supports were only ever about what an ace she is and how she wants Chrom-senpai to notice her... and not about how she suffers from PTSD and survivor guilt due to the dead of her comrades.

Edited by BrightBow

Beruka's "Time to play" crit quote seems to mainly exist because they did a thing where all lord-retainer-retainer trios have a shared crit quote.

"Time to play" is shared with Camilla/Selena/Beruka. In this case, it seems to originate with Camilla, as its most in character with her.

Just like Hinoka/Azama/Setsuna's "I won't lose", Xander/Laslow/Peri's "You're right where I want you", etc.

I'm disappointed that I didn't make a reference to Forest Gump throughout my Forrest opinion piece. Anyway...

So we got Metal Gear Beruka and Cordelia 2.0 both of which are weapons to surpass Metal Gear.

Beruka

From what I see, she literally just behaves like a tool. She's just an instrument for killing, only taking jobs from the highest bidders. She also happened to know the killer of Oboro's parents, but that's another tale that I'll save for when that fashionista ultimately comes up. She doesn't seem to have a purpose of her own; I'd guess the money she earns, she uses only for basic necessities and for weapons, equipment, and maintenance of these things. I don't remember much about her beyond this whole lack of a personality, but she's still a bit better than the gimmick characters if only because she fulfills her intended purposes as a character.

Caeldori

I've seen others say this, but she's basically Cordelia without the backstory. She's just naturally talented, and never really had a build up to that other than wanting to impress her daddy please don't shoot me for using that wording. She doesn't have the crazy obsession for Chrom either since... well, Chrom doesn't exist in this world, so take that for what you will. And there aren't really any stakes for her other than helping her dad; nothing about living up to her dead sisters in arms, no honoring the Order of the Pegasus Knights... I dunno. Maybe I'm just all burnt out on all the unrealistic parental worship that, like, half the children harbor. The deeprealms can go die in a ditch, they suck so much.

Beruka: A tool, to be used for the benefit of others. No seriously, she is one of those characters who I look at, and just want to give them a hug, telling them all will be alright. And likely get a knife to the back for my troubles. She does have some good supports if you ask me. Though she really shines if she marries corrin and you listen to some of her my-room lines. As a whole, I do really like her.

Caleldori: Just going to copy something I posted elsewhere:

"I've said it before and I will say it again. Caeldori (and her father for that matter) take what made Cordelia and interesting and engaging character to me, her struggle with PTSD brought on by her entire squad sacrificing themselves for her sake, and threw that out the window in exchange for exaggerating her two (minor in my view) traits involving her apparent perfection and inability to find a lover. Cordelia constantly wrestled with her self doubt because of this incident! Always wondering if she could have saved her squad mates, or if her getting involved would simply gotten herself killed alongside them, and if the latter would have been the better choice. What has Caeldori done? Nothing, just like her arrogant *$&% of a father. (rant over)"

Beruka: Merciless assassin with a heart of gold and the world quietest wyvern. Her support options are pretty consistent following the same formula for all romantic options sans Arthur where Pinocioetta becomes a real girl (And I will ship them forever) and Xader who straight up calls her on her shit in the B/A support. Overall they're good supports just repetitive after a while. Her same sex supports are pretty solid including the notorious "did anyone not help shura kill oboro's parents?" support. (Seriously what was in that cart? because apparently hoshidian/nhorian nobles, 3 nations worth of mercs, and 3 playable characters had a part in their death)

Also her fighter outfit makes it clear that yes, Camilia did manage to squeeze her sweater puppies into that MGS armor

Cordelia 2.0: Cordelia 2.0

Edited by joshcja

Beruka's character trope is pretty common, but this is one of the most perfectly-realized executions I've seen of it. As a stoic with a heart of gold, she really does show a lot of both in her supports without compromising her craft as an assassin. That lack of compromise is key, as a character with a dark past who gives up their old ways is a little too cliche to play straight; having a genuinely nice assassin who'll drop you if she deems it necessary is a much better, less predictable take.

For the record, I legitimately think all of her supports are good, of the ones I've read so far.

Beruka

I like her, even if her supports are repetitive she's an interesting character. Gameplay-wise, she's outclassed by Camilla, but she's worth using anyway. It bugs me that she's an assassin but in-game she's a Wyvern Rider. So I made her a Dread Fighter on my first run and she was awesome until late-game.

Caeldori

She's a kid unit and an Awakening clone. Not interested.

"I've said it before and I will say it again. Caeldori (and her father for that matter) take what made Cordelia and interesting and engaging character to me, her struggle with PTSD brought on by her entire squad sacrificing themselves for her sake, and threw that out the window in exchange for exaggerating her two (minor in my view) traits involving her apparent perfection and inability to find a lover. Cordelia constantly wrestled with her self doubt because of this incident! Always wondering if she could have saved her squad mates, or if her getting involved would simply gotten herself killed alongside them, and if the latter would have been the better choice. What has Caeldori done? Nothing, just like her arrogant *$&% of a father. (rant over)"

I second the sentiment that the Flanderized aspects of her personality in Caeldori were comparatively minor. Never thought too much on her whole "perfection" thing, and if anything, it was more portrayed as something of a flaw, as she was insulted often when she was a recruit, and she remained somewhat aloof of others among the Pegasus Knights as a veteran due to her status as a role model. And her crush on Chrom only remains when she marries Frederick, with the rest of her marriages (that I remember, anyway) being out of genuine love.

It's sort of like the case with Kana/Morgan. Kana is Morgan stripped of all the interesting aspects and left with just "love you so much, Papa/Mama!" It's like the writers for this game asked the writers of the previous game to describe the characters in, like, one or two words, and then tried to recreate the characters from that tid bit of "knowledge".

Beruka: My favorite wyvern rider and probably one of my favorite female characters in the game since my only gripe with her is that I believe she should have had a deeper voice and better crit lines. I'll always favor her over Camila due to able to actually take this girl seriously and the vibes I get from her are never bad and frankly it is pretty interesting to see a characters who would actually kill their allies but could actually follow through with it due to being emotionally dead inside. It's not like Peri doing it for minor to stupid reasons when they're suppose to be friends. For example, Beruka had a contract to kill someone and Arthur had a contract to defend them, had it not been for his accident saving him, it would end up in a real bad clash.

Caeldori: Hmm, I can't make any witty pun out of this name so I got nothing. She's my least favorite female kid so yeah.

Beruka

Gosh, I love her design. I actually like her voice decently - it's quiet, but cute. It may not fit an assassin completely, but I'm not going to judge. Wyvern Riders are one of my biases so I try and use her sometimes. She has a really nice skill growth, lotta crits with her named axe. It's really fun.

Caeldori

Cordelia, child, bleh. I was okay with Cordelia in the first place, but I just don't like Caeldori, which kind of sucks since I've been her mother a few times. Least favorite female child. At least Rhajat was an improvement.

Beruka: Honestly, never really used her, so i dont know her very well. She seems a bit bland as a character, but not wholly off-putting. As a unit, i just dont know really. Camilla always takes her slot.

Caeldori: She is incredibly insipid , and made me regret marrying Tsubaki at all. (which is a shame, cuz hes cute and not a bad character) She takes Cordelia's personality and a bit of Severa's pushiness and puts it together. E W. No thank you. I really detest this character. As a unit, shes alright, but ugh i dislike her too much to allow her to exist anymore.

I've been puting this of for a while until we got to a character I actually know well.

I don't know Shiro too well, but he's fine from what I have seen. He's a good unit at least.

Siegbert is boooooriiiing. Plus he's overshadowed by literally every other Cavalier in both availability and stats imo.

Kiragi's cool. His Takumi support is really good and tells a lot about Kiragi's character besides just hunting. I also find him a more consistent unit than Takumi, who I find gets RNG screwed often.

Forrest is a pretty good character. His supports can be weird, but it's not his fault. Overall, I really like the trio of Forrest, Nina and Ophelia together.

Beruka has a really interesting backstory that gets explored in more than one support. She greatly benefits from this as a character and it makes her feel surprisingly fleshed out. As a unit, I've been finding her to be pretty good. She has enough speed to not get doubled, but not enough to double. However, she doesn't really need it with her high strength and amazing defense. If I class changed her to Hero, I can see her becoming fantastic, as she'd have higher speed and a proc skill to use her massive skill stat on, increasing her survivability ten-fold.

Caeldori is not Cordelia, therefore she is bad. End of story.

In all seriousness, Caeldori takes Cordelia's main two traits, perfection and unrequited love and pushes them farther. However, she really can't beat Cordelia as a character due to lacking her squad PTSD, or any backstory in general, and overall being less humble about her perfection.

Edited by TrueEm

Beruka - I have yet to find a support from her that I don't like. Her freaking out during Saizo's B was interesting. . .hell, that rest of the support is interesting, too! As a unit, she makes for a pretty good mix of pair-up tank and movement. She's a bit slow, but she absorbs physical hits like no tomorrow.

Caeldori - Calamari was the only "clone" I missed, because she actually looks like her father. As for her personality, she doesn't have that shitty Cordelia/Severa support (or if she does, I haven't seen it yet), so she's better than Cordelia in my books. Her personal skill is the worst, though.

Beruka: For some obscure reasons I love Beruka. I didn't use her, I only read two of her supports (With Benny and Oboro, which was very good), so I almost don't know anything about her but there's something that attracts me, I don't know what. Maybe because Stephanie Sheh did an amazing job (once more) with a voice that fits perfectly her design and her personality, maybe my favorite female voice in Fates. As a unit she looks good on paper. A lot of people don't like her because she won't OHKO or ORKO (but what's the point playing a Fire Emblem game then?), but she's very useful as a wall. Her high Defense, combined with her very correct skill allow her to block a path efficiently while counterattacking every enemy with an accurate hit, do you can safely finish them off with your other units. Give her Sol, Axefaire, Swordbreaker (or a Dual Club if you prefer) and HP+5 and she's operationnal. You can even marry her to Benny so you can get Pavise and Wary Fighter (and Luna and Armored Blow, but these skills fit better an offensive tank like Effie or Xander).

Caeldori: I don't like her. Cordelia was much better IMO, less one-dimensionnal and more interesting.

Edited by Brand_Of_The_Exalt

Beruka: For some obscure reasons I love Beruka.

I think the same goes for me, even though the way I said it in my opinion piece about her, it probably sounded like I didn't. Reading some of the things people say about her here, it kind of makes me want to use her more to see what else she's got.

I have read her supports with Oboro and Saizo, and I liked those quite a bit.

Beruka: She's ok I guess. A little on the bland and boring side though. She reminds me of Jaffar, but I actually cared for him and thought he was cooler because he was actually plot relevant and his relation to Nino.

Caeldori: Another character who has the misfortune of getting blind hate mainly just for being similar to someone from the past game. Caeldori is like a younger and happier Cordelia (she was probably like Caeldori before her squad got killed and became depressed) She's a bit different to Cordelia in another way in that Caeldori actually has a role model and strives to be really perfect like her dad. I like her supports with some of the other 2nd gens as well like Shiro and Hisame. I made her a Spear Master with Hinoka as the mom and she was a good unit.

Beruka - She seems like a character thats not going to get bogged down by a particular gimmick that holds other characters back which pleases me. Her emotionless attitude and background remind of why I like the diversity of personalities between Hoshido and Nohr, with the latter having those that have lived rough lives and have developed particular attitudes, from the sadistic nature of Niles to the Solitude attitude of Nyx. The supports I've seen so far have been pretty solid (Even the Saizo one as while the C rank is quite bizarre and funny in execution, I found the communication via facial expressions could make sense in terms of a nodding of approval that leads into their next support convos). As a unit she was decent, having good skill (which is vital in this games RNG system), some good defense and had the mobility usefulness. A bit slow though and her level ups for my Nohr run weren't too thrilling (Ended up using Camilla in the end). Might have to give her another shot in my 2nd Conquest run.

Caeldori - No better than Asugi. Just another bloody clone of a character I didn't need to see again watered down. I mean hell, Subaki already has the Cordelia vibes going for him (except actually trying to be perfect rather than deny it), we don't need another one.

Edited by Naturesshadow

Beruka - I didn't use her at all in my first run of Conquest or Revelation, but I've made a point to use her in most of my non-PMU playthroughs since. I've found that I really like all Beruka's supports that I've seen, especially with Silas, Odin, Kaze, Oboro and Charlotte. As a unit, I find her to be pretty good. A Wyvern Lord with high Skill to mitigate the iffy accuracy of axes is really nice, although I've ended up reclassing her to Master Ninja twice (once by choice, the second time by PMU), and I find she functions pretty well in that class, her high Skill fitting in rather nicely and her Strength somewhat helping the otherwise low damage output.

Caeldori - To be honest, I haven't really used her (I haven't used most of the child characters in Fates), but what I have seen of her annoys me. I never really liked Cordelia, and Caeldori takes what I don't like about her up to eleven. It might be too early to make any proper decisions, but as things stand I'm not a fan.