Worst GBA FE Chapter

Hearing about that Desert/FoW map actually made me stop playing Binding Blade, but if I had to pick one, I'd say that fucking chapter where you have to recruit Echida. Sooooo much stuff to do and the AI for Klein, Tate, and their troops is so fucking bipolar and random.

Night of Farewells was long and got boring because of the bridges, and Battle Before Dawn is just...no, but that fucking map made my blood boil the most because of that.

If the character leading them (Klain or Tate) is recruited, the subordinates prioritize escape. If Tate's an NPC, then her Pegs will continue attacking.

Also, Chapter 14 on Normal is pretty simple. It's a bitch on Hard though, because enemies in FE6 Hard have actual stats.

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the character leading them (Klain or Tate) is recruited, the subordinates prioritize escape. If Tate's an NPC, then her Pegs will continue attacking.

Also, Chapter 14 on Normal is pretty simple. It's a bitch on Hard though, because enemies in FE6 Hard have actual stats.

Yeah, but whenever I try to recruit Klain, either his troops will block the way, or stay put. There wasn't a consistent pattern, iirc. It may just be tedious rather than hard.

Was going to say Arcadia as well.

ARCADIA CAN GO DIE IN A HOLE (Seriously, Arcadia is the only map I EVER bring Astol, Chad and Cath to, not counting Real Enemy since that's when you recruit Cath and I need to bring Chad to get Ray if I'm not using Lugh, also Arcadia is the reason I use Tate and Miledy as opposed to using just Miledy like how I would normally in FE7 use just Florina or in FE8 just use Tana)

Battle Before Dawn.

Jaffar's survival is basically completely down to luck, the long range magic is bound to screw you over since you can't see the mages in the fog. And the presence of Zephiel means that it's impossible to approach this chapter with the kind of caution that the high enemy density requires.

For the most part, Nino is a bigger concern than Jaffar, at least until Jaffar runs out of his Killing Edge, but by that time he's killed most of the enemies around him and you have your units up there. All but your main lord (and thieves) should be classed up by now, so you should be able to rush a bit, especially with units like Oswin, Sain, Kent and Hector (if this is Eliwood's story and you decided to be smart and class Hector up before Lyn)

I dare to say Battle Before Dawn. Defense map that plays like a seize, a mounted Bolting user that moves (unlike Selena), a kill-stealing assassin, and a kid that SHITS ON THE ENTIRE CONTINENT 20 FUCKING YEARS LATER! Not salty, just disappointed.

I like Battle Before Dawn as fog maps go

Battle Before Dawn easily. The game wants you to rush to get to the NPCs before they die, but also wants you to play it safe due to the high enemy density littered with dangerous threats. Normally, this kind of tension makes for a great map, but this chapter is an exception. Jaffar is in danger immediately, so you can not rush to him fast enough (you don't have access to Warp or Rescue at this point), and the map is FoW, so it's difficult to properly play it safe because you can't see exactly where the dangerous enemies are unless you look at a guide.

Basically, there are a lot of variables in this map that are out of the player's ability to control, a feature which is almost unique to this chapter (I haven't finished FE5, though, so maybe there's more of that there). In almost every other map in the series, you have the means to deal with whatever the game throws at you with no/very little luck needed to beat it.

I like Battle Before Dawn as fog maps go, honestly the thing with that is that there's so much to do, all in 15 turns, there are 4 chests to get, there are 2 characters to talk to and there's one character to defend, all well being hidden by fog, meaning that you can't see what's coming next, but if your units are high enough level at this point, you should be able to rush, which you kind of have to do

BBD and every FE7 defense map

I don't mind either Arcadia or chapter 8, I usually have fun playing them, even if C8 can be slightly tedious (it's still a lot less tedious than maps with long EPs). If I had to pick from FE6, I'd probably take 20xS or 21x.

I like Sands of Time and Talons Alight, and as fog maps go, there's only one in FE7 that's better than Battle Before Dawn for me (A Glimpse in Time)

Even Talons Alight? That one had pretty decent map design (only ruined by bizzare enemy AI, like the merc obsessed with opening doors and the fighter who would rather attack your units than seize the throne).

I guess that one is decent enough, but it's still not awfully fun imo, so meh.

Don't know if I'd say it's bad per say, but I always dread reaching Chapter 6 whenever I replay Sacred Stones. It's a Fog of War map that you have to rush through if you want the rewards for saving the villagers. Needing to charge blindly into the unknown doesn't really scream "strategy" to me.

Strategy for that map, deal with Halberd, have Seth rush boss

FE6 chapter 14, definitely. I hate Fog of War and desert maps(especially ones with items hidden in the sand) enough as is, so when you combine them...

And a turn limit for the Gaiden chapter

The chapter I have a PTSD about is Chapter 15 of FE8, (Burning Sand ? Idk if it's like this in english)

THIS WAS THE WORST IDEA EVER.

Setting boss at each OPPOSITE SIDE OF THE MAP.

Getting Ephraim/Eirika with only 2 units to "carry" the other side when you just know you'll have to get your actual Ephraim/Eirika team on the opposite side anyways.

THE DAMN SAND THAT SLOWS YOU SO MUCH.

The ennemies which are kinda powerful.

BUT ESPECIALLY THE NUMBER OF ENNEMIES. THIS WAS SO GOD DAMN MUCH.

That Valter fcker who says nope to bows.

Caellach who takes no crits !

Knoll that will DIE DIE DIE DIE DIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIE with his ridiculous Def.

The first time I did it I was in Eirika route, and getting Duessel and Ephraim carrying the down part of the map was fcking painful.

The whole map was actually.

But now I handle it like a cake !

Edited by Seo

Going to go with Sands of Time(Denning's Chapter). The throne is never in any real danger and it's pretty trivial to just clear out all the enemies. Then you just mash End Turn I guess because there's no alternate win condition. Unfilfilled Heart(Vaida boss chapter) has similar issues.

Edited by -Cynthia-

For the most part, Nino is a bigger concern than Jaffar, at least until Jaffar runs out of his Killing Edge, but by that time he's killed most of the enemies around him and you have your units up there. All but your main lord (and thieves) should be classed up by now, so you should be able to rush a bit, especially with units like Oswin, Sain, Kent and Hector (if this is Eliwood's story and you decided to be smart and class Hector up before Lyn)

I like Battle Before Dawn as fog maps go, honestly the thing with that is that there's so much to do, all in 15 turns, there are 4 chests to get, there are 2 characters to talk to and there's one character to defend, all well being hidden by fog, meaning that you can't see what's coming next, but if your units are high enough level at this point, you should be able to rush, which you kind of have to do

Nino is actually in very little danger here. The only enemy she faces for the first couple turns is a Monk who 3HKO's her if I remember, and she's got an Elixir. Your group should have no problem getting to her before the rest of the enemies do. Jaffar, on the other hand, is surrounded by actually threatening enemies from the start, so he has a chance of just dying before it's physically possible to get anyone down to help/heal him. Note that this only applies to Hector Hard Mode, since I believe the enemies are weak enough in the other modes that the chance of him dying early is minuscule enough to not matter.

Thank you for reminding me about the other thing I dislike about Battle Before Dawn, however: the 15 turn 'limit'. You have to rush to protect the NPC's, so you're going to cover basically the entire map in like 5 turns or so because you can't afford to leave them on their own for any longer than that. This means that once you recruit Nino and secure Jaffar and Zephiel, you still have almost 10 turns left to grab the chests (if you haven't already), get Nino to Jaffar to unlock the gaiden chapter, and rout the remaining ~10% of enemies that weren't in between you and the NPCs. It's way too long, and the last half of the map is basically just mashing end turn because you've already done everything.

I really like the idea of a defense chapter that makes you travel to the point before you can defend it, but in Battle Before Dawn the majority of the fighting is done just getting to Zephiel, so there's nothing left to defend him from by the time you get there. This chapter would probably be really cool if an event spawned a bunch of reinforcements in the south once you got to Zephiel to force you to switch gears from rushing to defending. Jaffar would still be a problem, but that could probably be mitigated by changing his AI slightly or something.

Edited by Radiant Dragon

(Seriously, Arcadia is the only map I EVER bring Astol, Chad and Cath to,

...So you ignore all the treasure chests in castle maps?

And Narcian's steals (he carries a blue gem and a Delphi Shield, and stealing the latter makes him far easier to beat in addition to being handy.)

Edited by Glaceon Mage

I am surprised no one has mentioned the following chapter and it is by far the worst chapter in FE 7 Jerme's Version of Pale Flower of Darkness, it's the only map in the game I dislike (yes I like battle before dawn, it's still fun on EHM shoot me). And then after that is the FE 6's Pinnacle of Light with it's random light arrows that can kill you if it dang well pleases.... Or in FE 6 there's The Bow of the Winds which puts you in a rousing game of guess which tent am in (in this chapter I shamelessly use save states...). Arcadia is paradise compared to both these maps as far as I'm concerned

Edited by Locke087

I am surprised no one has mentioned the following chapter and it is by far the worst chapter in FE 7 Jerme's Version of Pale Flower of Darkness, it's the only map in the game I dislike (yes I like battle before dawn, it's still fun on EHM shoot me). And then after that is the FE 6's Pinnacle of Light with it's random light arrows that can kill you if it dang well pleases.... Or in FE 6 there's The Bow of the Winds which puts you in a rousing game of guess which tent am in (in this chapter I shamelessly use save states...). Arcadia is paradise compared to both these maps as far as I'm concerned

Honestly, I consider Jerme PFoD no problem to Kenneth's. That said, Kenneth's map, NoF, and FE6 6 chapter 13 can all

I will shamelessly use this for EVERY FE chapter I dislike, even if I've already used it once in this thread

Honestly, I consider Jerme PFoD no problem to Kenneth's. That said, Kenneth's map, NoF, and FE6 6 chapter 13 can all

I will shamelessly use this for EVERY FE chapter I dislike, even if I've already used it once in this thread

The only real issue with Jerme's Pale Flower of Darkness is that getting there requires you to use a set of units that are mostly mediocre to outright bad.

The only real issue with Jerme's Pale Flower of Darkness is that getting there requires you to use a set of units that are mostly mediocre to outright bad.

and that it's slow and boring...

Probably I'm the only one that is gonna say this

Phantom Ship

I hate that chapter at SS hard mode.Yeah,you can train at the tower of Valni,but I don't have patience for it.If you don't train there or arena abuse on chapter 5 you're screwed.You will probably onl have 2 or 3 promoted units and it's a pain to recruit L'arachel and Dozla and they survive on this chapter

And Narcian's steals (he carries a blue gem and a Delphi Shield, and stealing the latter makes him far easier to beat in addition to being handy.)

I think he means the only one where he brings all 3, which makes sense, as bringing all 3 certainly helps you get all the loot within the turn limit.

Yes, because Oswin and Hector can totally rush maps with their whopping 5 movement. /sarcasm

I fail to see that when (1) Nino's not in any real danger of dying to the monk that attacks her, and (2) the Fighters Jaffar runs into tend to have Swordreavers and Swordslayers.

No, you misunderstood, Arcadia's the only chapter I bring Chad, Astol AND Cath, otherwise it's Astol or Chad and Astol

• 2 weeks later...

Chapter 14 of FE6. Desert, FoW, and Sophia that literally needs babying. It would still be bearable, though, if Roy could just tell that bloody bitch of Cecilia to get a fucking brain and stay behind!!! She was the closest to make me say "See ya later, stupid bitch. Go and die in the desert if you really want to." Because Cecilia doesn't even have a in-story justification for the forced deployment unlike Sophia!!!

Edited by henrymidfields

Arcadia becomes way more bearable when you learn about the reset trick to find the items with non-thief units. I actually don't mind Cecilia's forced deployment too much either since she at least has staff utility and Aircalibur if a wyvern comes near. Having to keep Sophia alive is fucking annoying, though.

I still like Arcadia more than most of the gaiden chapters (mostly because their gimmicks usually are irrelevant or just irritating) of FE6. Jahn's chapter is pretty disappointing too - their vulnerability to the legendary weapons, their lack of 1-2 range and their low movement make Manakete rather lousy opponents. Storywise, Jahn's exposition bomb is definitely interesting, but it's just too much text at once. FE6 really has some pacing issues.

For me, the worst GBA-Chapter is Saleh's joining chapter in Eirika's route, though. It's not hard at all, but moving through the mountain path is just so tedious and there is pretty much nothing special about the map that makes up for that. I also dislike Queen of the White Dunes - mostly because most of the treasure chests require you to go in a completely different direction than the route to the throne.

Hm... I haven't played FE7's HHM yet, so...

Screw chapter 19 (Battle in Bulgar) from the Sacae route in FE6's HM. Until you get to Bulgar, you have a group or two of nomads and wyvern riders to take out, followed by a huge plain of NOTHING. The enemies in the city won't budge, save for the Sage with the Silence staff if you're mages are in his staff range.

In order to get inside, you need to destroy the outer walls, or open the door in the centre. By opening the door, it allows the enemy to hit you with most of their troops, and HM doesn't know the meaning of 'mercy'. The Nomad Troopers are the most dangerous of the bunch, and they're plain annoying. If you destroy one of the outer walls, then most enemies will charge you. While getting rid of them in this way is more manageable than facing them head on, it's also a lot more tedious.

Reinforcements will start showing up at the bottom of the map. Even though they're mounted, they'll still take around 3-4 turns to catch up, depending on whether you went left, right or in the middle. If you stole Narcian's Delphi Shield and gave it to (for example) a trained Miledy, she will make an excellent distraction for them. Thing is, most reinforcements don't have such an easy solutions, but when you get over them, it feels weirdly rewarding (for me, at least). But having an easy response like this takes away the satisfaction. It's a small thing, but it really lets me down. Well, at least the myrmidons hiding in the houses were a fair obstacle. There are so many houses, you don't know where exactly they spawn from.

Kel, the boss, is the icing on the cake. Looking at his HM stats, he would be utterly terrifying...if it weren't for the fact that he only had a Light Brand. Again, this aspect is subjective, and it may be a huge relief, but I got mad at that as well. On one hand, the Light Brand makes him so easy to deal with at range, it makes me feel like the game is keeping me away from a challenge, but on the other, his stats, especially his evasion, were nuts; if he had a sword other than a Light Brand, then he would be too much to take on. It's not the difficulty of the chapter that makes me hate it; but rather, the fact that all these things could've been executed in a better way. Plus, it wasn't fun.

But the hiding myrmidons? Genius.

Edited by MathMagoo12

Arcadia, without a shadow of a fucking doubt. It is THE reason why I have NEVER finished FE6.

FE6: The Hero of the West and Arcadia

Really? I honestly really enjoyed The Hero of the West.

Edited by Garland Chaos

I actually found it to be the most stressful chapter in FE6, mostly because I must have all the optional treasure. Many fights in FE6 have a difficult start but then get relatively easy when you have cleared out the first wave of enemies (at least if you know where the reinforcements will show up...). In Hero of the West OTOH I felt like I had to rush most of the time - to clear a path for Klains Archers, to make sure Tate's pegasi don't get caught by the reinforcement cavs, to recruit Echidna ASAP but without putting Lalum in peril...

Arcadia becomes way more bearable when you learn about the reset trick to find the items with non-thief units. I actually don't mind Cecilia's forced deployment too much either since she at least has staff utility and Aircalibur if a wyvern comes near. Having to keep Sophia alive is fucking annoying, though.

I still like Arcadia more than most of the gaiden chapters (mostly because their gimmicks usually are irrelevant or just irritating) of FE6. Jahn's chapter is pretty disappointing too - their vulnerability to the legendary weapons, their lack of 1-2 range and their low movement make Manakete rather lousy opponents. Storywise, Jahn's exposition bomb is definitely interesting, but it's just too much text at once. FE6 really has some pacing issues.

For me, the worst GBA-Chapter is Saleh's joining chapter in Eirika's route, though. It's not hard at all, but moving through the mountain path is just so tedious and there is pretty much nothing special about the map that makes up for that. I also dislike Queen of the White Dunes - mostly because most of the treasure chests require you to go in a completely different direction than the route to the throne.

To say it becomes "way more tolerable" because of that exploit is a stretch, because it doesn't absolve it of being a fog of war chapter in a desert, to say nothing of all the other BS.

Guys, guys, guys... and gals. Battle Before Dawn, Cog of destiny, (I hate night of farewells with a passion) Arcadia (I like Arcadia despite the restarts), The random tent gag chapter (20X Sacae), Battle in bulgar, and Even the phantom ship are all Great choices for the worst of the worst.

But I CANNOT STAND FOR THE LIFE OF ME Chapter 18, from Sacred Stones. The one with the stone bastards, and eggs. I tried soloing that map with seth. Can't do it on hard mode. Not Just Seth Solo's. EVERY SINGLE TIME I go into that chapter, even with multiple physics and restore staves, someone gets RNG screwed and Stoned, then dies to the ultimate bullshit.

The only way to clear that map without someone dying is to deploy every mounted unit you have, and give them good weapons, and rush. I HATE that map.

Edited by Lord Tullus