Am I the only one who thinks that Conquest is difficult, even on Normal-Classic?

OliKad

Please tell me I'm not alone, because I am still struggling on my second playthrough! :(

LOL. No, you aren't. I remember playing the game for the first time and having to change the difficulty to Normal-Casual relatively early. I'm playing it on Lunatic now but it still has some challenge to it.

NO, NOOOOOO you are not.

I died so many damn times my first run of the game, and the ONLY way I survived Endgame was lowering the difficulty to casual

And yet, it's your favorite! ;)

Conquest is just generally far more difficult, I am playing Birthright Lunatic No grind and lunatic Revalations No grind with no royals and I still haven't had to restart as many times in those two combined as in my Conquest Hard run. I dread the eventual time I decide to play Conquest Lunatic. That said conquest is way more fun than either of the other two

Edited by Mackc2

Conquest is supposed to be hard. It challenges you in so many ways; creative troop placement, low funds, no chance to grind, and more. All of these limits do make Conquest hard, but fun and challenging at the same time.

Conquest normal is supposed to be harder than Birthright hard.

And yet, it's your favorite! ;)

Apparently I'm a masochist, because I always seem to love the games that kick my ass hard, be it Fates Conquest, Super Mario Bros Lost Levels, Zelda 2, or the entirety of the Syphon Filter franchise.

I'm tempted to respond "yes", because starting things off with "Am I the only one" is tacky.

However, have a serious answer - Conquest forces you to leverage everything. I suggest playing on Casual until you're more comfortable with some of the nastier surprises (like the entirety of Chapter 17).

I didn't really have a hard time with it on Normal, I just played it like I did the older games only removing item management.

I would like to play it on Hard or Lunatic but I just can't get past how bad the plot to Conquest is.

I had to lower the difficulty from Hard/Classic to Normal/Classic around Chapter 23 because it was just getting too tough for me.

Judging solely by comparing the late game chapters, I'd say that Conquest Normal is about equal in difficulty to Birthright Hard. Then again, the last five or so chapters are the only times when Birthright gets anywhere near being considered difficult so... overall Birthright Hard is probably easier than Conquest Normal.

I didn't really have a hard time with it on Normal, I just played it like I did the older games only removing item management.

I would like to play it on Hard or Lunatic but I just can't get past how bad the plot to Conquest is.

That's what the start buttons for tbh. Tho I honestly find myself using that for Birthright and Rev more than Conquest

When I first played Conquest (on Normal, mind you) I actually had to restart the whole game at least three times, because I actually thought the Royals were good for something. Ho boy, was I ever wrong. The first time I managed to clear it, I didn't use a single Royal (except Elise, at least until Niles promoted to Adventurer) and I will continue to do so in every playthrough of Fates.

#BenchTheRoyals

As someone who was relatively experienced with FE, my first Normal run of Conquest was a pretty decent challenge. Admittedly, a lot of that was simply not knowing what to prepare for (Vanishing Kitsune, Mr. Fuga's Wild Ride ect.), but I was still able to make it through without it feeling like I was "Taking it easy" on myself. I still had to think. While I haven't played Lunatic yet, so far Conquest's difficulty reminds me of Radiant Dawn. It seems super hard at first, but the more you come to understand the specific gimmick of each Chapter and plan your investments (Gold, EXP distribution among others), the more manageable it becomes. That, or just plan to have an Adventurer Niles help you cheese the Endgame with Rescue. That worked too.

Edited by Avalanche

I thought it was a decent challenge.

I always start Fire Emblem on casual (I'm a newcomer; Awakening), and Conquest is the only one where I had to reset a few maps, with another few victories by the skin of my teeth. I don't grind until I beat each game (except Conquest, duh), and I've never had to reset for Birthright or Revelation. I had to reset once in Awakening, during Tiki's paralogue.

So yeah, challenging for a first run, but now it's easier.

I still have trouble with the chapters that come after 19 of Conquest on Hard, not just because of the difficulty, but because the gimmicks are annoying and Hard is merciless.

Other than that, I found its difficulty ok. A bit above my level but I could manage (with a lot of restarts).

It's ok. I like to think I'm pretty good at FE, but I almost gave up during the Great Wall chapter 'cause I couldn't figure out how to approach Oboro's squad without someone succumbing to her barrage of lances and arrows. Eventually, I decided to go all out and just let Odin (sosorrymanIhadtoloveubro) die so I could finally continue the chapter and toss Takumi off the wall.

That said, Conquest is definitely really challenging-- especially for people who are more accustomed to Awakening's or Birthwrong's gameplay. Just keep working at it, though, buddy! You'll be able to master those chapters if you just keep trying.