Fire Emblem Fates/If 1st Anniversary + Figmas

carefreejules

This Tumblr post kind of sets it straight, but also makes me very upset. To consider Azura a "bomb" in marketing, maybe, but as a character, hell no. I think she deserves much more attention than Corrin no matter what the fucking voters and marketers think.

Haha, I kind of figured that out myself.

In my view, she's a pretty cool character, but she got over-hyped by the marketing and it kind of back-fired. I remember a lot of the early hype focused on how mysterious she was, but obviously that's not going to last long...

Maybe it's that the male otaku are just more willing to spend their money on merch than their female counterparts and therefore the market panders more to them as a result.

Pretty sure that's the main reason for the recent skew.

The FE4 figures have a more balanced gender ratio because they were designed to appeal to all fans. Same with Amiibo.

But when it comes to expensive figmas and nendoroids, I can only imagine dudes buying them mostly. Of course, I bet there are lots of female buyers as well, but a much small proportion.

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are they really though? From the polls conducted where there was no gender separation, the male characters seemed to be more dominant.

This, pretty much. From what I remember, in every fan magazine poll where there was no gender separation, the top three characters were some combination of Xander, Takumi, and Leon. On the contrary, making a gender separated poll artificially makes some characters seem more popular and others less popular than they really are.

I mean, if the company just wants to make female figures because they think female figures sell, that's their decision, but it's not like the female characters were more popular than the males with no gender split. If they don't make any male figures, though, I'm sure they'll be missing on a lot of money from fangirls. The only friends I know who buy figures in the first place are women, lol.

Edited by Sunwoo

This Tumblr post kind of sets it straight, but also makes me very upset. To consider Azura a "bomb" in marketing, maybe, but as a character, hell no. I think she deserves much more attention than Corrin no matter what the fucking voters and marketers think.

That Tumblr post is right on the money though. Intelligent Systems were obviously confident she would become the next Lucina or something similar, and they spent a lot of money and effort into marketing her, but it just didn't work.

Does she have nice supports? That's up to personal tastes, certainly, but few people will read all of them and analyze her character thoroughly. Now, how many people here are ready to say that they love her role in the main story, the part of the game almost everyone will actively take part in?

You're free to like whoever you want and for whatever reason, but you're sort of making it sound like everyone not liking her is misinformed.

That Tumblr post is right on the money though. Intelligent Systems were obviously confident she would become the next Lucina or something similar, and they spent a lot of money and effort into marketing her, but it just didn't work.

Does she have nice supports? That's up to personal tastes, certainly, but few people will read all of them and analyze her character thoroughly. Now, how many people here are ready to say that they love her role in the main story, the part of the game almost everyone will actively take part in?

You're free to like whoever you want and for whatever reason, but you're sort of making it sound like everyone not liking her is misinformed.

But why didn't it work though? I don't find either of them to be more interesting or attractive than the other. Was there some sort of backlash, similar to what happened with Zoroark from Pokemon?

The FE4 figures have a more balanced gender ratio because they were designed to appeal to all fans. Same with Amiibo.

But when it comes to expensive figmas and nendoroids, I can only imagine dudes buying them mostly. Of course, I bet there are lots of female buyers as well, but a much small proportion.

Nah, it's just there's an IP that sucks up all the design space for all the male figmas and nendos that Fire Emblem would typically share.

http://www.goodsmile.info/en/toukenranbu

Remember, this is the series that topped Fire Emblem in the most desired Musou game as well.

Nah, it's just there's an IP that sucks up all the design space for all the male figmas and nendos that Fire Emblem would typically share.

http://www.goodsmile.info/en/toukenranbu

Remember, this is the series that topped Fire Emblem in the most desired Musou game as well.

So this is something like Kancolle, but with guys instead of girls?

So this is something like Kancolle, but with guys instead of girls?

Pretty much, both insanely popular (kancolle with boys, ranbu with girls).

Kancolle = Ship Girls

Touken Ranbu = Sword boys.

Kancolle really doesn't share design space with Fire Emblem, but Ranbu does as pretty much anyone of those characters wouldn't look out of place in Fates.

Edited by Draxal

But why didn't it work though? I don't find either of them to be more interesting or attractive than the other. Was there some sort of backlash, similar to what happened with Zoroark from Pokemon?

I don't know about whatever happened to Zoroark, but like I wrote in my earlier post, most people I've talked to, including those who like Azura or even the story of Fates, agree that Azura's role in the main story is really, really bad. That's inevitably what most people will see.

Personally speaking, I like very little about Azura - I find her suppors mediocre and I don't even like her design. I like the singing and voice acting, but that's about it, and on its own it's not very memorable to me.

If you ask me why people put up with Corrin, well then you're asking the wrong guy, because I don't. I'm going to make a general, sweeping assumption and say that the people who voted for Corrin in the poll are likely the same people who actually use them as a self-insert, which would explain why they're so high up - of course, male Corrin is in fifth place, which is remarkably low for those kinds of characters.

I am SUPER DUPER HYPED for that Elise! Does anyone with more experience with this type of merchandise have some estimates for what sort of price to expect? I MUST PREPARE IMMEDIATELY

Nendoroids (the type of figure that Elise is) are usually around 40 USD, though there are some that are closer to 30 and some around 50.

Haha, I kind of figured that out myself.

In my view, she's a pretty cool character, but she got over-hyped by the marketing and it kind of back-fired. I remember a lot of the early hype focused on how mysterious she was, but obviously that's not going to last long...

From what I've heard from some of my friends who are more avid figure collectors, Nendoroids are actually generally more popular among female fans.
And for a general reference of what the gender ratio of male to female characters who get Nendoroids of them made, this site lists quite a few of them: http://www.nendoroid.org/en/nendoroids.php?p=1&page=Nendoroids
Edited by The Geek

If I had to guess as to why Corrin (especially female Corrin) scored so high, I'd say there were a few factors in it.

1) Some people who may have had a strong preference for characters of one sex, but not of the other sex may have just voted Corrin as a "default".

2) Dudes who think that she's hot and prefer her design and see her as a "waifu".

3) Girls who are only in this for the shipping and see the female self-insert as a part of themselves, and project themselves onto the MU to the point that Corrin isn't even Corrin anymore.

4) People who do legitimately like them as a character.

Reasons 2-3 are likely strong reasons for why female Corrin scored so high.

Edited by Sunwoo

Wanna know why fem!Corn is so popular? Look up r34 and see how much art of her exist, it already surpased the fem!Robin tag. It's definitely her killer design what made her popular.

If we ever get a male figma I'm hoping it's Leo or Takumi, but something tells me it's probably going to be of Xander or male!Corn.

On the crummy 3DS browser and late to the topic, but I'm one of the five M!Corrin fans. Really, he's basically like Chrom 2.0 to me: I like his design (get the what they were going for with the outfit) and he's kinda cool, but care nothing for his character.

Anyways: aiii yaiii yaaaiiiii. Why can't dudes get Nenderoids or figmas more often?

Are they really though? From the polls conducted where there was no gender separation, the male characters seemed to be more dominant.

<snip>

That was poor wording on my part. I was referring to merchandise of female characters being more popular than merchandise of male characters.

If I had to guess as to why Corrin (especially female Corrin) scored so high, I'd say there were a few factors in it.

1) Some people who may have had a strong preference for characters of one sex, but not of the other sex may have just voted Corrin as a "default".

2) Dudes who think that she's hot and prefer her design and see her as a "waifu".

3) Girls who are only in this for the shipping and see the female self-insert as a part of themselves, and project themselves onto the MU to the point that Corrin isn't even Corrin anymore.

Is it the thigh-holes? It's the thigh-holes, isn't it?

Another male!Corrin fan, and I'm gonna have to agree with Sunwoo's reasoning on why female!Corrin did better. That said, it's kind of grating to see people other places (mostly Tumblr) gloating about how the female one did better and how if you like the male just suck it up you woman-hater!!! No, I just find him more interesting and the fandom's portrayal of the female has turned me away from her completely. At least he gets the amiibo.

That said, I keep seeing people who say Azura and male!Corrin bombed in the polls, and I have to ask how on earth is #5 out of 40-ish bombing? Yeah, it's kind of low for main characters, but male!Corrin lost to his brothers and Jakob (who hits all the Japanese fangirl love buttons), and Azura lost to the character fangirls self-insert themselves through, the Nohrian royal sisters, and Oboro, who is commonly agreed to be one of the best characters in the game. That doesn't make them not popular, and IntSys still put out merchandising for them (or at least Azura) even after the poll, so obviously they agree.

Edited by Abvora

Another male!Corrin fan, and I'm gonna have to agree with Sunwoo's reasoning on why female!Corrin did better. That said, it's kind of grating to see people other places (mostly Tumblr) gloating about how the female one did better and how if you like the male just suck it up you woman-hater!!! No, I just find him more interesting and the fandom's portrayal of the female has turned me away from her completely. At least he gets the amiibo.

<snip>

Are people actually saying that? I wouldn't know since I only ever use tumblr for fanart and fanfiction, but tumblr is becoming more and more of an example of Poe's Law with every passing day, so I wouldn't be particularly shocked.

female characters are 1000% more likely to get figures (unless you're from a sport shounen anime, or Touken Ranbu), so I'm not surprised that all the ones announced are female...

I would give an arm and leg for a Ryoma figure, but I know the chances of that is like... 0.00000001% since he's male and not even the most popular /cry

The Elise nendo is adorable, but like, figures of Hoshidan Princesses where? I want a 1/7 of Hinoka and Nendo Sakura T___T .. or even Azura.

I'm hoping the Corrin figures come with alt hairstyles!

I don't like Camilla enough to get the 1/7 of her, but I'm a bit disappointed how boring her figure is compared to Cordelia and Tharja's, those had way more personality to them, and Camilla is just... standing there. She doesn't even have any elements of her Wyvern on the base

Edited by MapleRose

They ain't getting my money until they make male figures. I would kill for a figure of Niles, lol.

I know female Corrin is heavily favored design-wise over male Corrin. Pretty much everyone I play Smash with picks the female design over the male. I've even had guy friends who started Fates as female Corrin only to go "Oops" later when they found out they can get married.

But as far as her being popular compared to the rest of the female roster? Yeah, I'd be willing to bet that it's mostly because of the shipping, the projecting, and the waifu drooling. Also add in the fact that in Japanese popularity polls, the protagonist almost always scores really high.

Also, in regards to the anniversary, I was really, really hoping we were going to get an artbook announcement.

Here lies Delfino's hopes and dreams. What a baby...

Edited by Delfino

Are people actually saying that? I wouldn't know since I only ever use tumblr for fanart and fanfiction, but tumblr is becoming more and more of an example of Poe's Law with every passing day, so I wouldn't be particularly shocked.

You don't even have to go much further than gamefaqs to see this kind of sentiment. There are people who say that the female avatar is better than the male avatar in aspects that are not character design. Which is really hard to believe when they are essentially the same characters who are offered to make the same choices in the main story, and the differences in supports don't give a very noticeable change in personality.

I mean, I understand if people just like the female Corrin's design better, but that doesn't make her a superior character to him.

You don't even have to go much further than gamefaqs to see this kind of sentiment. There are people who say that the female avatar is better than the male avatar in aspects that are not character design. Which is really hard to believe when they are essentially the same characters who are offered to make the same choices in the main story, and the differences in supports don't give a very noticeable change in personality.

I mean, I understand if people just like the female Corrin's design better, but that doesn't make her a superior character to him.

I guess everything just sounds more appealing and reasonable when someone you think is hot is saying it.

Damn those thigh holes; male Corrin never stood a chance.

I guess everything just sounds more appealing and reasonable when someone you think is hot is saying it.

Damn those thigh holes; male Corrin never stood a chance.

This is why most people can't be trusted with good-looking villains. Clearly we need to go back to the days where all the bad guys were objectively ugly!

Why do you think everyone sympathizes with Xander

Seriously though, another Male Corrin fan here.

I actually, really like Male Corrin. There aren't enough male manaketes.

Besides, I don't know why, but I always end up disliking female avatars while I end up loving male avatars.

There's something about female avatars that irritates me for some reason. Maybe it's how the fandom portrays them?

When I am reading fanfiction, I almost never read ones with female avatars.

Edited by Water Mage

Besides, I don't know why, but I always end up disliking female avatars while I end up loving male avatars.

There's something about female avatars that irritates me for some reason. Maybe it's how the fandom portrays them?

This, this, a thousand times this. When you look at the characters themselves, there is no big difference. So the only thing that could sway your opinion is if you like certain character traits on one sex but not the other, or if there were gender-exclusive supports that just stood out as really bad or really good that shaped your opinion on either male or female Corrin.

Fanfiction, on the other hand, doesn't have to abide by the limitations of the game. Unfortunately, that also leads to male and female Corrin being treated very differently. Female Corrin seems to exist solely for shipping, and some of her love interests are extremely OOC around her and she's just treated as this damn precious person who really is the most important thing in the world. Male Corrin is more likely to be treated as a badass, or as the butt of comedic jokes, and exists far less often.

Speaking of which, if you almost never read fanfiction with female avatars, doesn't that mean you almost never read fanfiction in general? :P:

Why do you think everyone sympathizes with Xander

So basically you never read fanfiction, then?