Fire Emblem Fates/If 1st Anniversary + Figmas

carefreejules

This, this, a thousand times this. When you look at the characters themselves, there is no big difference. So the only thing that could sway your opinion is if you like certain character traits on one sex but not the other, or if there were gender-exclusive supports that just stood out as really bad or really good that shaped your opinion on either male or female Corrin.

Fanfiction, on the other hand, doesn't have to abide by the limitations of the game. Unfortunately, that also leads to male and female Corrin being treated very differently. Female Corrin seems to exist solely for shipping, and some of her love interests are extremely OOC around her and she's just treated as this damn precious person who really is the most important thing in the world. Male Corrin is more likely to be treated as a badass, or as the butt of comedic jokes, and exists far less often.

One interesting thing I noticed about the fandom's portrayal of avatars, is that Male Avatars are always portrayed as quiet, sometimes shy, contemplative and intelectual, where the Female Avatars are always portrayed as spunky tomboys, that everyone loves and are amazing at everything.

Even in the actual games things are like that.

For example if you compare Male Robin and Female Robin, Male Robin appears to be more intelectual and polite than Female Robin, while Female Robin appear to be more spunky than Male Robin.

Speaking of which, if you almost never read fanfiction with female avatars, doesn't that mean you almost never read fanfiction in general? :P:

Don't remind me of this fact. It's a sensitive subject to me.

And it's a struggle to find the Male Avatar fanfictions.... They exist. They really do!! I'm not crazy!

Edited by Water Mage

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And it's a struggle to find the Male Avatar fanfictions.... They exist. They really do!! I'm not crazy!

So far, all I've found is yaoi buddy and that ain't my cup of tea.

Yeah, I think one day someone will have to explain to me the psychological and emotional details regarding such biases in the first place. It's a trend, but what exactly makes it a trend and how can it be so lucrative? Also, I'm sad the Hoshidan characters are being neglected since if we go from the boxart Femui is pretty much Nohr lady.

Also another fan for both recent Male Avatars.

Edited by Raguna

Yeah, I think one day someone will have to explain to me the psychological and emotional details regarding such biases in the first place. It's a trend, but what exactly makes it a trend and how can it be so lucrative? Also, I'm sad the Hoshidan characters are being neglected since if we go from the boxart Femui is pretty much Nohr lady.

The Hoshidans were also pretty much ignored in the Hoshidan festival of bonds. And in the Nohrian festival of bonds, we only got Oboro on a technicality. While Tsubaki and Setsuna were a nice surprise for Hoshidan fans, it still seems rather unfair that they had skipped the actual most popular Hoshidan male character. (Can't remember who the next popular Hoshidan female after Oboro was.)

The Hoshidans were also pretty much ignored in the Hoshidan festival of bonds. And in the Nohrian festival of bonds, we only got Oboro on a technicality. While Tsubaki and Setsuna were a nice surprise for Hoshidan fans, it still seems rather unfair that they had skipped the actual most popular Hoshidan male character. (Can't remember who the next popular Hoshidan female after Oboro was.)

To answer that, if you don't count Azura (5th place) as a Hoshidan, the next popular Hoshidan female is Hinoka (6th place).

Of course, blame Takumi (3rd place for males) for the... unusual fanservice CG treatments that even he missed out on outside of the Beach Brawl fanservice.

To answer that, if you don't count Azura (5th place) as a Hoshidan, the next popular Hoshidan female is Hinoka (6th place).

Of course, blame Takumi (3rd place for males) for the... unusual fanservice CG treatments that even he missed out on outside of the Beach Brawl fanservice.

Both Azura and Hinoka are considered to be more plot-relevant than Setsuna, so it would even make sense for them to have been the secret Hoshido characters. But in all seriousness, Takumi has consistently scored high (taking number 1 in at least one fan magazine poll), was the highest ranked male Hoshido character in the official poll, and when there is no gender separation has scored higher than Camilla in some instances. I don't know what the hell IS's priorities are. Children aren't liked enough or important enough for them to deserve an entire fanservice DLC, especially one that didn't even feature any Hoshido-exclusive children.

Well, I will say this. The Halloween DLC-style artwork that I commissioned from my friend (which is my current avatar) is better than the official art anyway :P:

Both Azura and Hinoka are considered to be more plot-relevant than Setsuna, so it would even make sense for them to have been the secret Hoshido characters. But in all seriousness, Takumi has consistently scored high (taking number 1 in at least one fan magazine poll), was the highest ranked male Hoshido character in the official poll, and when there is no gender separation has scored higher than Camilla in some instances. I don't know what the hell IS's priorities are. Children aren't liked enough or important enough for them to deserve an entire fanservice DLC, especially one that didn't even feature any Hoshido-exclusive children.

Well, I will say this. The Halloween DLC-style artwork that I commissioned from my friend (which is my current avatar) is better than the official art anyway :P:

It's rather ironic, but in my opinion the best-looking artwork in the Halloween DLC were Oboro and Subaki, who are Hoshidans.

It's rather ironic, but in my opinion the best-looking artwork in the Halloween DLC were Oboro and Subaki, who are Hoshidans.

I'd have to agree since Xander's outfit was just super off-puting if I had to be honest.

Also mentioning Tsubaki, something feels off here. Kaze and Saizo both scored higher than him on the poll and if they were going for the exact middle man Hoshido guy in male popularity , Hinata fits the bill better than him so, I don't even know if they were basing it off popularity as much as we think when they made the art for all of them.

I'd have to agree since Xander's outfit was just super off-puting if I had to be honest.

Also mentioning Tsubaki, something feels off here. Kaze and Saizo both scored higher than him on the poll and if they were going for the exact middle man Hoshido guy in male popularity , Hinata fits the bill better than him so, I don't even know if they were basing it off popularity as much as we think when they made the art for all of them.

About Subaki, I believe it may be that he is popular with the developers.

If I'm not mistaken Subaki and Jakob were the first characters created for Fates after the Royals, so the developers might have soft spot for him. It doesn't hurt that he is the first male Pegasus Knight as well.

Edited by Water Mage

Camilla's figure looks great. I was really worried they would put her in a fanservicey pose like Tharja, but I'm glad I was wrong.

I'm definitely going to pre-order it as soon as pre-orders open.

It's disappointing that Elise's nendroid looks so crappy though.

That's honestly one of the worst nendroids I have ever seen. :/

Oboro is fine. Tsubaki has some weird leg thing going on.

You don't even have to go much further than gamefaqs to see this kind of sentiment. There are people who say that the female avatar is better than the male avatar in aspects that are not character design. Which is really hard to believe when they are essentially the same characters who are offered to make the same choices in the main story, and the differences in supports don't give a very noticeable change in personality.

I mean, I understand if people just like the female Corrin's design better, but that doesn't make her a superior character to him.

Hell, it was on reddit too. Anyone who expressed the slightest bit of disappointment at not getting M!Corrin was downvoted, and the top comment was someone mocking everyone who did want a M!Corrin figma.

*shameless advertising mode activates* My fics use M!Corrin. And they aren't yaoi to boot! They are Azurrin though so that might not be your thing

Hell, it was on reddit too. Anyone who expressed the slightest bit of disappointment at not getting M!Corrin was downvoted, and the top comment was someone mocking everyone who did want a M!Corrin sigma.

Isn't Reddit awful though?

*shameless advertising mode activates* My fics use M!Corrin. And they aren't yaoi to boot! They are Azurrin though so that might not be your thing

I had been planning a Fates fanfic with male Kamui (because, again, I rarely acknowledge female Corrin's existence), but at this point I'm so burned out I have no idea how far it'll get lol.

Edited by Sunwoo

^Speaking of burnout, does anyone else get this feeling that Fates will get brushed aside fairly quickly come next game? Awakening's the nostalgia spot for the newer generation (as a 16 year old I feel odd typing this), and I've seen more than a few people say that they like it more than Fates. Really, virtually everybody has been critical of Fates in some aspect or another; Awakening was praised to high heaven by non-veterans, while Fates' reception (still positive) definitely feels more muted. I get the feeling that in five years' time Awakening will be more talked about.

Anyways, that's that for my loosely related rant.

^Speaking of burnout, does anyone else get this feeling that Fates will get brushed aside fairly quickly come next game? Awakening's the nostalgia spot for the newer generation (as a 16 year old I feel odd typing this), and I've seen more than a few people say that they like it more than Fates. Really, virtually everybody has been critical of Fates in some aspect or another; Awakening was praised to high heaven by non-veterans, while Fates' reception (still positive) definitely feels more muted. I get the feeling that in five years' time Awakening will be more talked about. Anyways, that's that for my loosely related rant.

I really hope not. For all the nonsense Fate' pulled in terms of story, the gameplay is much better than Awakening. And that includes Birthright.

Isn't Reddit awful though?

It exists on the internet, so 'awful' is the default state of existence.

^Speaking of burnout, does anyone else get this feeling that Fates will get brushed aside fairly quickly come next game? Awakening's the nostalgia spot for the newer generation (as a 16 year old I feel odd typing this), and I've seen more than a few people say that they like it more than Fates. Really, virtually everybody has been critical of Fates in some aspect or another; Awakening was praised to high heaven by non-veterans, while Fates' reception (still positive) definitely feels more muted. I get the feeling that in five years' time Awakening will be more talked about. Anyways, that's that for my loosely related rant.

Only because it's the new one. Once something else comes out, the nostalgia will start to flow.

It exists on the internet, so 'awful' is the default state of existence.

Only because it's the new one. Once something else comes out, the nostalgia will start to flow.

I mentioned it somewhere else, but parts of the FE fanbase is really reminding me of the LoZ fanbase, where every new game is criticized to high hell and the game before it is held up as a golden bastion of glory.

I mentioned it somewhere else, but parts of the FE fanbase is really reminding me of the LoZ fanbase, where every new game is criticized to high hell and the game before it is held up as a golden bastion of glory.

It was always like this. FE6 was shit on nonstop back in the day of FESS (omg what is this the kid like cartoon game), once Kaga left the series. Although, to be fair the fandom was incredibly small and that time, so the sheer volume of complaints was much smaller.

I honestly didn't like the furry design in FE9 (I know some others didn't as well but they were much more vocal), it goes on and on.

Edited by Draxal

Damn it... more stuff to buy.

I'm gonna get the Elise Nendoroid. I already bought Sheeda, might as well scoop up Elise. Especially if she comes with a horse.

Although, I'm not sure whether to get the Nendoroid or Figma for Femui. I guess it depends on cost at this point. Figmas are like... $60~ right? Nendoroids are typically $45~. Depends of how much money I have when they become available for pre-orders. Or I'll wait until I find her at Uwajimaya (Local Asian store) like I did for Sheeda (I got her like 4 days ago.)

Also I just remembered I need to save up money to go buy the Cordelia statue that came out long before I knew it existed.

Edited by TrueEm

Don't know if this is relevant to the thread but apparently a drama CD for Fates is being released. It seems to focus on the male royals

For a second there I almost thought they'd give us a reason to care for the princesses or the other cast members, but clearly that'd just be ridiculous.

Hell, it was on reddit too. Anyone who expressed the slightest bit of disappointment at not getting M!Corrin was downvoted, and the top comment was someone mocking everyone who did want a M!Corrin figma.

I actually read them!

Been reading them since the beginning of Insivible Princess!

I actually read them!

Been reading them since the beginning of Insivible Princess!

Thanks! I'm glad you like them (I'm assuming, since you're still reading)! :)