(Rumor) NX is a Portable Device with Detachable Controllers to Play on the TV, uses Cartridges

Jave

So Eurogamer has just posted a couple of articles that, according to various sources, reveal that the upcoming NX is a primary handheld system, but it comes with two ports that allow to attach and detach two controllers and connect the system to the TV to allow for traditional console gaming. In other words, a hybrid.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-26-nx-is-a-portable-console-with-detachable-controllers

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-nintendo-nx-mobile-games-machine-powered-by-nvidia-tegra

Nintendo's upcoming NX will be a portable, handheld console with detachable controllers, a number of sources have confirmed to Eurogamer.

On the move, NX will function as a high-powered handheld console with its own display. So far so normal - but here's the twist: we've heard the screen is bookended by two controller sections on either side, which can be attached or detached as required.

Then, when you get home, the system can connect to your TV for gaming on the big screen.

A base unit, or dock station, is used to connect the brain of the NX - within the controller - to display on your TV.

This has NOT been confirmed by Nintendo yet, which is why I'm labeling it as RUMOR, so take it with a grain of salt.

But I think it's actually a pretty cool idea and I wouldn't mind if it's true. I'll take it, provided the price is right.

Comments?

In other news massive amounts of game developers have begun face paling en mass.

I think this is a bad idea unless there is also a home console that can compete hardware wise with the xbone scorpio and PS4 neo. Developers won't spend the money on developing for an under powered system.

Wow, this is super risky. But that's Nintendo for ya.

The hardware can't be any stronger than the Wii U can it? Maybe even weaker?

If the Dragon Quest XI rumors are true, there's a chance it's on par with the PS4 (or at least able to pull off Unreal Engine 4, unlike the Wii U), if that's the ported version, there's a chance that the version that gets ported is the 3DS one.

To elaborate on where said rumors came from, an NX version of the game was confirmed, then retracted as being "under consideration". There are several reasons this might have happened, from a deliberate goof to make people hype the system (long before anything about it was unveiled, this was mid-2015 I think?), to simply someone from SE saying something they shouldn't have. It's up to interpretation.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Developers won't spend the money on developing for an under powered system.

Beep beep boop. Does not compute.

The real reason the Wii U failed is that it lacks x86 architecture.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/what-nintendo-should-do-nx,28884.html

If you make a game for the PS4, Xbox One, or PC, it takes a minimal effort to port it to the other two consoles. The Wii U has proprietary architecture, which makes porting much more difficult. What this means is that any developer must choose between three consoles or one, and for money-focused developers like EA and Activision, the choice is obvious.

On the bright side, the NX is rumored to have x86 architecture. If this is true, the "Nintendoomed" scenario will have to wait a bit.

I love the concept. I think the idea is pretty neat, especially the idea of it being adaptable to home console and handheld console gaming. I that way they can just focus on a hybrid console and be more efficient with resources.

I hope this concept succeeds and support it. I don't mind cartridges. Is this some kind of modular design?

Beep beep boop. Does not compute.

The real reason the Wii U failed is that it lacks x86 architecture.

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/what-nintendo-should-do-nx,28884.html

If you make a game for the PS4, Xbox One, or PC, it takes a minimal effort to port it to the other two consoles. The Wii U has proprietary architecture, which makes porting much more difficult. What this means is that any developer must choose between three consoles or one, and for money-focused developers like EA and Activision, the choice is obvious.

On the bright side, the NX is rumored to have x86 architecture. If this is true, the "Nintendoomed" scenario will have to wait a bit.

Here is something that concerns me regarding nintendo's future, assuming the wii u failed due to lacking x86 architecture...

^ Assuming they stick to the Tegra X1 chip, and refuse to upgrade to Tegra X2 in the final version of NX, I'd say the "Nintendoomed" scenario will come as a result of the NX, and Nintendo could see the NX as another Dreamcast, despite the portable portion of that console, because if people want x86(32-bit) processing in their games, and Nintendo keeps refusing to make hardware that meet such desires, the NX could drag Nintendo out of business in another Sega-esque situation, unless tweaking in other areas somehow turn the prospect of x86 games being hard to port over to a Nintendo OS into a fantasy by inches...

^ Then again, the future can be unpredictable, so I'd not count nintendo out until the low numbers begin to pour in, if they do, as I'm not the type that prematurely bashes a company that I have stuck with for so long... Still, deep down inside me, hearing about stuff like "32-bit processor or no deal!" and/or "This gaming device is inferior to other consoles I know of, and thus, does not deserve my one dime!" in total disregard to their software, since I believe that the software quality of the competition, with some exceptions like Destiny, Kingdom Hearts, among other competition standouts, is not as good as Nintendo's(if the NX and maker fails, will the gaming industry crash again?), the results could be a downer should the NX fail to sell well enough to silence the plausibility of such criticism... :(

Edited by shadowjam

This is pretty unexpected but looks very much like something Nintendo would do.

I tried to follow rumors, and I remember the most recent theory being two devices, a console and a handheld with a lot of synergy between them (common OS, shared library...). NX being an hybrid device was out of the question after some comments from Nintendo if I remember correctly.

I'm not really tech savvy, but I'm not sure what to think of the NX actually being hybrid, I worry about things like the battery life being a problem in handheld mode, and a lack of "power" in console mode (not directly a concern that affects me though, since I think that games already look good on Wii U).

Ultimately, whatever it is, I'll probably end up buying one when the time is right (ie when enough games I want are released), since I simply follow the games I like, as long as it isn't extremely uncomfortable to use or absurdly expensive.

So... I don't have any special thought after this rumor has surfaced, it is definitely interesting, but I'll wait for an official reveal from Nintendo and especially a showcase of the games they have prepared (there is already Zelda Breath of the Wilds which is a very good omen) before I reserve a more definitive judgement on the subject.

In other news massive amounts of game developers have begun face paling en mass.

I think this is a bad idea unless there is also a home console that can compete hardware wise with the xbone scorpio and PS4 neo. Developers won't spend the money on developing for an under powered system.

I don't think that your reasoning is the right one, I doubt Scorpio will sell well in the actual circumstances, it sounds like something extremely expensive and will probably only appeal to the most hardcore gamers. I don't know yet for Neo, but I remember reading that Sony asked that all the games must run on the original PS4, so if NX ends up near Xbox One/PS4 power level in its console mode, ports are not out of the question. Also, having less power may appeal to more developers that aren't with the usual big publishers, I think mostly about the japanese developers that remained with Nintendo on the 3DS, but also the small independent developers etc...

And ultimately, these developers follow money, if NX whatever it is ends up extremely sucessful, you can be sure that they will flock to it, power or not.

Actually, this rumor states that it uses a Tegra X1, as I said, I'm not really tech savvy, but from what I understand, Tegra X1 uses a nvidia architecture as opposed to x86 which uses an AMD one. So Nintendo doomed ?

Edited by Avk

Ooh, I wouldn't mind if this rumor were true. It'd make pretty much everyone happy. Those that prefer home console gaming will get what they like and those who prefer handheld gaming will get what they like. The NX can also succeed both the Wii U and the 3DS if it's a hybrid.

Wow, mobile titles too? Sounds cool! I do hope it could do Pokemon Go though, because I'd love to be able to use the AR mode. I can't because my phone lacks the gyroscope. And surely a Nintendo system would have the functionality needed to properly use AR mode...