Hypothetical FE4 remake gets announced.(spoilers)

_Erai

Posted the same thing on Gamefaqs.

NO GAME WAS ANNOUNCED, THIS IS JUST SPECULATION.

I have seen a lot of mixed opinions about a potential FE4 remake, I want to know yours.

Do you think the game would be ruined, or it would be fine?

Here are some of my thoughts/concerns.

Let's start with the gameplay:

Maps: There's a reason why this game is called Horse Emblem, the maps are HUGE, 1 chapter in this game is like 2 or 3 chapters from other games, this is why foot units are harder to train, they get left in the dust, even if they are extremely good units like Jamka or Ayra(not that much, Ayra is the best gen 1 unit after Sigurd, but her Mov still hurts her), many newbies are really turned off by this, but if they make the maps smaller it wouldn't feel like FE4 at all, it's one of the things that makes this game so special, I think maybe adding checkpoints after seizing a castle would help.

Holy Blood and Holy Weapons: All the Holy weapons have 30 MT and give stat boosts. Holy weapons such as Yewfelle and Mystletainn grant Skills to the weilder. Some people say this makes the game unbalanced, but IMO every unit is perfectly viable save for Hannibal and Ardan, even if they lack Holy Blood/Holy Weapons. That doesn't mean that Holy Weapons are perfectly balanced, they need a nerf, especially with a monster like Lewyn!Arthur who can use Forseti right away in chapter 6.

The plot:

Incest: People call this game Incest Emblem, but the only canon incestous pairing is Arvis x Dierdre and this happens because it's a major plot device, all the other incestous pairing are optional and before you bring Seliph x Julia, they have a negative love growth, the fact that they can be paired via the jaelously system is more likely to be an oversight if anything.

I couldn't care less if they censor the incest in this game, but if it gets censored, they would be forced to chage the plot(which I'm against) or at least change the relationship between Arvis and Dierdre to something like cousins instead of half siblings.

Lore: This one is mostly fine, but there are some "darker" plot events such as Child Hunts and Massacres, and we know how Nintendo tries to be "family friendly".

I'm also worried about they pull something dumb like paralogues in Gen2 that allow you to recruit the parents, just... no

What are your thoughts?

gut the story and spare no exceptions, pretty much all of the edgy stuff that would be controversial like child hunts has literally zero story consequence whatsoever except to set the evil empire up as really evil, you guys, swear it!!

fe4 also has a lot of use for the foot units if you're not just moving all of your horse mans forward at max speed all the time - your horse mans aren't usually enough to handle all the threats, and you can tell what assaults are going to be telegraphed if you think for about a second and put your foot mans in position to absorb the second or third attack that you can easily tell is coming.

besides a total gutting of the story fe4 really only needs simple quality of life improvements like a modern interface and sane gameplay balancing to work as a remake

My main concern is the same as my main concern for the hypothetical Gaiden remake brought up a few weeks back, the inclusion of an Avatar.

I worry that everything Sigurd, Julia and Seliph do might get retconned for this. This goes for any remake for their respective lord. I'd like to see the game get remade, with the mechanics fixes that imo it needs (TRADING, collective Gold supply, increase-able weapon rank, Horse Emblem, and generally making things a bit more obvious).

So if the Avatar either doesn't exist or barely does anything like the FE7 Tactician, I'm fine. But I don't want some Sue taking over the game, and I'm really skeptical of what crazy thing IS might do to shoehorn one into being an important character.

For me to even think about wanting it, I'd want a rescue command, nerfed holy weapons, trading, increasable weapon rank, and a collective gold supply, at the least.

The remake needs to get rid of Pursuit completely, implement the normal doubling mechanic and fix the horrible weapon balance to have a shot at being considered decent to me

I don't trust IS to keep what they need to have stick for it to still be its unique experience they'd probably alter the gameplay again, but it would still be more akin to Awakening & Fates than anything Kaga did, nor do I trust them not to add a spotlight stealing avatar, so far 3/3 on that.

Get someone from that era to do the remake, or don't do it at all.

So if the Avatar either doesn't exist or barely does anything like the FE7 Tactician, I'm fine. But I don't want some Sue taking over the game, and I'm really skeptical of what crazy thing IS might do to shoehorn one into being an important character.

TBH if anything the Avatar would have to worry about being too USELESS compared to holy blood people. Unless they give him Super Special Magic Holy Blood that lets him wield all the holy weapons lets hope IS never sees this

TBH if anything the Avatar would have to worry about being too USELESS compared to holy blood people. Unless they give him Super Special Magic Holy Blood that lets him wield all the holy weapons lets hope IS never sees this

Oh please you know IS would let you pick your Avatars Holy Blood, and Finn & Leif are among the best units in FE4 despite having NO Holy Blood in the formers case and minor in the latters case.

Edited by Jedi

I don't trust IS to keep what they need to have stick for it to still be its unique experience they'd probably alter the gameplay again, but it would still be more akin to Awakening & Fates than anything Kaga did, nor do I trust them not to add a spotlight stealing avatar, so far 3/3 on that.

Get someone from that era to do the remake, or don't do it at all.

I would not have said that in a better way. I'm pessimistic, in general, about how IS is handling things so my expectations are dead, and hope for them not doing stuff shittier.

Edited by Quintessence

While I like the idea... I think we aren't in the best Era to create a remake of this game.

Maybe if there another director change with a different mindset (youknowsomeonethatisnotmaeda) I would actually support the remake.

With the actual director the only games that would get a remake without be potentially screwed are Gaiden and Blazing Sword.

Edited by Troykv

I've always felt that if they did include an avatar in a hypothetical FE4 remake the way they would do so is by having them either outright replace or be best buddies with Oifey (thus ensuring that they are both close to the main Lords and take part in both generations.)

Problem is they wouldn't be able to let the Avatar marry everyone without making some major changes (since Sigurd and Deirdre need to be married for story reasons and Cuan and Ethlyn are married and already have a kid before the story even begins)

I would not have said that in a better way. I'm pessimistic, in general, about how IS is handling things so my expectations are dead, and hope for them not doing stuff shittier.

IS is fine at handling gameplay at the moment I should rephrase part of what I said, but I generally don't think they could capture FE4 in any method even the gameplay (Because it would be quite a bit different from Fates gameplay direction), so yeah.

The work-in-progress GBA fan remake of FE4 (SquareRootOfPi's FEIV: Inheritors of the Crusade) is actually very well done. It improves on the original GBA engine to provide skills, expanded weapon types, and other FE4-exclusive features (which will hopefully include marriage/inheritance). It also splits up the original chapters into smaller portions; it has 10 chapters covering the original game's first 3 chapters or so. I wouldn't bet on any official remake being better than it.

If you want to check it out, it's on the first page of the Fan Projects subforum. I'd put a link to it here, but for some reason I can't paste in the Reply box.

I forgot to mention that another thing that a FE4 remake would need is better balance between the weapon types - the fact that the weapon balance was essentially comparable to Gen 1 Pokemon is nothing short of stupidiculous.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

I've always felt that if they did include an avatar in a hypothetical FE4 remake the way they would do so is by having them either outright replace or be best buddies with Oifey (thus ensuring that they are both close to the main Lords and take part in both generations.)

Problem is they wouldn't be able to let the Avatar marry everyone without making some major changes (since Sigurd and Deirdre need to be married for story reasons and Cuan and Ethlyn are married and already have a kid before the story even begins)

I wouldn't consider the Avatar not being able to marry absolutely everyone a problem per se. The Avatar doesn't need to marry everyone. That being said the main reason I'd like to have an Avatar in Holy War is for ugencies fun by choosing a minor Holy Blood for it to have and then having the potential for Major Fala, Tordo or Neir in the second Gen (and thus the ability to wield every Holy Weapon in the game though not in the same play through).

Also I reckon Areone should just be outright playable. I guess there's some narrative symbolism of him being an ally that just follows Athena but really I think the main reason he wasn't playable is because they wouldn't have been able to fit him in the home castle -_-

Edited by Jotari

I wouldn't consider the Avatar not being able to marry absolutely everyone a problem per se. The Avatar doesn't need to marry everyone per se. That being said the main reason I'd like to have an Avatar in Holy War is for urgencies fun by choosing a minor Holy Blood for it to have and then having the potential for Major Fala, Tordo or Neir in the second Gen (and thus the ability to wield every Holy Weapon in the game though not in the same play through).

Also I reckon Areone should just be outright playable. I guess there's some narrative symbolism of him being an ally that just follows Athena but really I think the main reason he wasn't playable is because they wouldn't have been able to fit him in the home castle -_-

I probably should have put "problem" in quotations. I said it's a "problem" because IS likes making it so that the Avatar can marry everyone and FE4's story wouldn't allow them to do that.

For movement issues, give everyone without one, a horse. I know that sounds like a joke, but I mean it. Mounting/dismounting returns, but we get a new stat, mount, with either no, or very little growth.

Stat would cap at maybe 5, most unmounted characters would have very little in this stat, having 0 would result in almost halved stats, scaling up until about 3 where your stats break even, and gaining boosts to some stats at 4 and 5.

Just my opinion anyway.

I suggest giving unmounted characters movement stars like in Thracia 776. A hidden stat that randomly gives them another full action. Not only would this help them with traversing the maps but it would also make them even more dangerous in terms of gameplay which seems to be the general idea.