Hi, I'm new to forums so I hope this is in the right spot and stuff.

Anyway, I'm just getting into FE8 modding and specifically the Battle Palette modding.
I want to change the way a necromancer looks in battle and his sprite and all that.

I've checked around google and I couldn't find anything so I figured that I could post a topic somewhere.

Can anyone direct me to a Battle Palette Reference Nightmare Module that contains a battle palette for a necromancer? or does that not exist.

Yes, perhaps I wasn't as specific as I should have been.

I'm looking for a nightmare module called the Battle Palette Pointer that contains the hex for Lyon the Necromancer so I can change his colors using an Advanced Palette editor.

The default Module that comes with the download of the FE8 Nightmare Modules package has a Battle Palette Reference Module, however it does not contain the one for any version of the Necromancer or for Lyon.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to get one of if that even exists.

Sorry, I hope that cleared it up. :Soldier: :D

I wouldn't be surprised if Lyon just doesn't have a personal battle palette, and uses the class's default one instead.

You'll have to assign him a palette and go from there.

i also need some help and am having a bit of trouble figuring this out, im working on modding fe8 but at chapter 4 my character disappears, anyone else have this problem? or know how to fix it?

How would I go about doing that? I'm pretty new to palettes, I read some of blazers Ultimate Fire Emblem thing, but I couldn't figure it out :/

FE8's battle palettes are more complicated than FE7's due to branching promotion. We'll need 3 modules to pull this off: Palette Association Editor, Palette Association Editor Part 2, and Battle Palette Reference.

In association part 1, we define which classes a character has a palette for. For Lyon, we'll just give him Necromancer for his first promotion.

j193J48.png

In association part 2, we'll need to define what palette to use for each class we said the character would have a palette for. I'm going to use slot 0x6E since that's one of the first free slots available after all the vanilla ones.

5163rdD.png

Okay, so we told the game to go get the palette from slot 0x6E when Lyon is a Necromancer. But, that slot needs to contain a pointer to the palette itself. That's where Battle Palette Reference comes in.

ZtG5HNn.png

Let's say I stuck my shiny new Necromancer palette at 0xEF86C8. I'd go to slot 0x6E and put that offset there with a leading 8 to make it a pointer. Voila.

i also need some help and am having a bit of trouble figuring this out, im working on modding fe8 but at chapter 4 my character disappears, anyone else have this problem? or know how to fix it?

It would help to provide more information. How'd you get your character to appear in previous chapters? If memory serves, ch4 has a prep screen, so they should show up if you loaded the character in an earlier chapter.

Thank you so much for that explaination, it would probably have helped if I had the correct modules. Could you get me a Link for the palette association editor 1 and 2 please? Also the only thing that I'm still confused about is how to generate a battle palette pointer. Do you just make it up? Thanks again :)

Edited by xXMrMooMoo

No, you write a pointer to wherever you put the new palette in the rom. A pointer points (hence the name) to an address; when the game goes "ok, where is the information I need (in this case, the palette)?", the pointer acts as a "the data you're looking for is at this location".

Thank you so much for that explaination, it would probably have helped if I had the correct modules. Could you get me a Link for the palette association editor 1 and 2 please? Also the only thing that I'm still confused about is how to generate a battle palette pointer. Do you just make it up? Thanks again :)

The Resource Directory has links to a bunch of Nightmare modules. The first one should take you to the core modules download. The two association editors are in the Battle Palette Editors folder, while the Battle Palette Reference editor is in the Animation folder.

Quick pointer example: Say you've got some free space at 0xEF9000, and that's where you decide to put your new palette. The pointer to that palette would be 0x8EF9000.

Edited by Primefusion

For anyone who is having this problem, I have the answer.

First, get the programs you need (Nightmare, FE Recolor, BSPalette Assembler, FE ROM and APE *optional*)
Open Nightmare and your ROM.
Open the Palette Association Editor Part 1 and 2
On Palette Association Editor part 1 you want to scroll down to what character you want to give a Palette to, go to his BASE PALETTE and select an unused one (I choose 0x6E) *Apply Changes/Save Rom*
On Palette Association Editor part 2 you want to scroll to the same character and for whatever class you want to assign the pallet to, you choose BASE CLASS (I choose the Necromancer) *Apply Changes/Save Rom*
Open up FE RECOLOR and load image of what you want to change (I chose the necromancer)
Edit the RGB values to whatever you want or Import a Hex that you have copied to your clipboard
Then once you have finished changing the colors you are going to want to hit "copy hex to clipboard"
paste the hex somewhere, you won't need the program anymore. Don't save it
5553FF7FFF6B1F4B9556FF7FCE39567B0A4E0821A5140000B556420800000000
next open up FE BSPalette Assembler
select browse and pick your ROM
under game select what game you have (i did FE8)
under Palette entry select the same palette that you assigned to your characters BASE PALETTE (i did 0x6e)
Click on import from clipboard
click on Insert palette entry
Something should come up saying Repoint, click on it.
Then save ROM
Close then re-open nightmare
Open your Rom and a module called palete reference, should be in a folder called animation
scroll down to the custom pallet you just made (I used 0x6e)
If you have a battle palette pointer other than 0x00 it worked. (mine is 0x9001764)
Also, if you have imported a Hex the colors may have not been in the same order so you might have to play around with it
Open your game and check if your character looks different
To edit your Pallet in APE, a tool that I like to use, all you do is take the Battle Palette Pointer and subtract 8000000 from it so 0x9001764 - 8000000 = 1001764 <-- and that's the number you will put into APE's
Offset(hex) box. Make sure to have the Compressed Palette box checked.

• 1 year later...