Hardest chapters on all routes?

Quirino

Birthright: Ch. 27. The waves of enemy action per turn makes the map suitably challenging, though I figure that if you have a juggernaut unit this map might actually be really easy. Runner-ups are Ch. 23 and Ch. 9, the former for the difficulty spike, and the latter just for the first turn or two.

Conquest: Ch. 26, though probably because I haven't 'figured it out' yet, so to speak. After a few Lunatic playthroughs I still tackling the bottom chamber really tricky and unreliable, especially due to the number of Berserkers with their ungodly critical hit rates placed at the bottom section of the map. The best I could do is to lure each wave to the top of the map so that my units can kill the 10-or-so units in a single player phase, but the Pavise/Aegis on some of these enemies make this rather unreliable. I wish I knew of a way to reliably reduce turn count to a sensible level...

Also the Endgame if none of your units can reliably 1RKO bold-stance Takumi (I find this specific requirement quite tricky to meet); I end up backward rescuing units after killing the Enfeebling units then try to persuade the enemies to a very specific configuration to kill all units before the 4 paired-up cavalry starts moving, then it's all about spamming leftover Freezes and Entraps, not to mention the occasional healing in between. Come to think of it, Endgame is really staff-reliant one way or another, and I never feel quite secure with it.

Revelation: Can't really think of any. If Heirs of Fates count as Revelation-y DLC, then maybe the HoF 6, but the main game doesn't have tricky chapters per se. Maybe Ch. 19 for its turn requirement?

Paralogues: Late-game Siegbert. Mostly due to the the Poison Strike Brigade in the north-west corner, if the effective-weapon Cavalry haven't screwed you up yet. It's a really tense experience, though I'm not sure if it's for the better or for worse. Runner-ups are Late-game Ophelia's, for being quite tight in terms of enemy triggering per turn, and mid-game Percy's w/o Wyrmslayer. While Shiro's, Ignatius' and Forrest's can be tricky as well, it feels a bit anticlimactic once you realise that they can be trivialised by a rescue staff (which isn't so limited in Birthright / Revelation) / fliers / entrap (you might as well buy one anyways for the Endgame).

DLC: Royal Royale, Team Sakura. Subaki is almost useless except for flight purposes and situationally as pair-up fodder, Sakura with her self-debuffing bow becomes really situational to use, and Hana while somewhat mediocre becomes closest thing to a Godsend as she pretty much carries her entire team. They don't stack up well against the other teams in terms of combat, but the real challenge is their starting position and the specifics of how the turn-based enemy trigger works in this map, which doesn't do them any favours.

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

I just finished Conquest on Lunatic a couple days ago:

Chapter 26 - asdfsdsfdfjkl;jk the goddamn Maids with Staff Savant (Staves can be used without expending uses and if its Range is under 10, it is increased to 10) + Inevitable End (Enemy will accumulate status reduction effects) + Enfeeble / Freeze. I hate Maids now, I want to murder all of them =(

Chapter 25's Ninjas and Puppets with Inevitable End are annoying too, but at least that chapter you don't have to go through them. I was using my MU (archer with point blank), so I could just duel Ryoma with the Dual Yumi and he can't actually hit me.

Chapter 28 has some of those Maids and Great Masters too, but I found it less annoying than 26 'cause you can rush the boss a bit easier (less stuff to move through). It is annoying that there are several Enfeeblers with Inevitable End that will gang up on one unit. I think in the end I gave up trying to have everyone survive and sacrificed people in order to rush the boss >__<

---------

Birthright (on Lunatic):

I found Birthright's difficulty curve really weird, it's somewhat challenging, until chapter 13 where you get Ryoma. And then it's pretty easy, up until fireball Camilla, when all the things come at you.

Chapter 25 is probably the one I found hardest. It was hard to get to the chests and keep the army swarm away from my weaker units on that chapter. But then I did it again with just Ryoma (and support mule MU)... and it was a breeze, so I dunno >_>

Chapter 27 - I actually find human Garon to be the hardest boss, at least to solo, 'cause he sits on the throne that heals, and he also Draconic Hexes you. And if you don't kill the maid next to him, she'll heal him. But if you do, you're in the range of Garon, who will attack you on his turn, and then Draconic Hex you whether he does damage or not.

---------

Revelations

Chapter 11 - goddamn Mokushu map and stupid spikes and the stupid ninjas that will kill Orochi if you don't get to Saizo on the first turn

Other than that, I don't think any chapter really stood out to me as difficult (I found the boss to be the easiest one actually), just... really annoying because you have to wait around for the map to do stuff

---------

Birthright (on Lunatic):

I found Birthright's difficulty curve really weird, it's somewhat challenging, until chapter 13 where you get Ryoma. And then it's pretty easy, up until fireball Camilla, when all the things come at you!

Even when not using Ryoma the curve is awkward. chapter 14 is reasonably challenging but the game gives up after you kill charlotte... i mean at first i thought the three dragon veins that were lolop on easy would play a different role in lunatic, where i'd need to save them for later reinforcements. but that never happened.

C15 used that strategy, tho. But once you got past the halfway point of the map it's not bad.

then the game kinda forgets that on Lunatic stuff will be promoting earlier and it takes until C21 for the game to understand the kind of units it should be throwing at you...

Ryoma-less, C21 can be hard as long as you don't choose to cheese it by flying or by raising a bolt axe!Oni. C22 is already the real deal.

DLC: Royal Royale, Team Sakura. Subaki is almost useless except for flight purposes and situationally as pair-up fodder, Sakura with her self-debuffing bow becomes really situational to use, and Hana while somewhat mediocre becomes closest thing to a Godsend as she pretty much carries her entire team. They don't stack up well against the other teams in terms of combat, but the real challenge is their starting position and the specifics of how the turn-based enemy trigger works in this map, which doesn't do them any favours.

This is just me, but I think Team Camilla isn't much better off. They don't really have a good answer to Ryoma, and the best they can do against Xander is have Camilla use Ragnarok, which not only debuffs her, but also leaves her more likely to get critted. Speaking of, she and her retainers all have weapons that make them more likely to eat crits. On top of that, Beruka's weapons practically ensure she'll get doubled, and Camilla's weapons are both self-debuffers, both of which do her team no favors.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished Birthright and Conquest on Normal and am now on a Conquest Lunatic run (done up to and including Chapter 21 and a few paralogues). This is my first Fire Emblem game, so the Lunatic run is very slow but steady progress.

For Birthright on Normal, I'd say the toughest chapter, if you're trying to keep everyone alive, is the endgame. I'd say it's even harder in this respect than Normal Conquest's endgame. Why? While it's true that you can easily reach Draggaron on turn 1, he's also incredibly evasive (none of my units could get over 75% hitrate on him, and the hexing rod had a 64% hit chance...naturally it took all three charges to finally hex him). He also hits really hard, and since it's a high-powered magical attack, I don't think any of my characters could survive two attacks from him. Also worth noting is that Draggaron on Normal has more HP than Conquest's Takumi on Lunatic. Oh, and you start Birthright's endgame surrounded on all sides by a smattering of strong enemies, leaving your frail units with nowhere good to hide if you get too many unlucky misses and don't kill Garon on turn 1. So yeah, this endgame is set up to be won quickly, but you need good RNG, and if you don't get it, someone's probably dying.

Conquest's endgame on Normal, by contrast, is far less dangerous. Because of the thin hallway, it's easier to bait only the enemies you want and keep your frail units safe behind your tanks. The side pockets are easily blocked off, there are many more Dragon Veins than you'll need to block Takumi's waves, and the Faceless reinforcements...well...they had 34 Attack, which by that stage of the game is bordering on Birthright Chapter 20 Faceless levels of pathetic. I think a full one-third of my army took 0 damage from their attacks. Oh, and Takumi's a physical attacker, which meant it would take him 7 hits to down Benny and at least 3 to take down most of my squad.

I know this comparison between the endgames goes right out the window for Lunatic, and from what I've heard, even Hard, but that's my opinion on the Normal endgames, odd as it may be.

For Conquest on Lunatic, out of the chapters I've played so far you'd probably think I'd say Chapter 10 or 20 is the hardest...yes, Chapter 10 was extremely trying and required pretty much a zero-mistake run even with heavy tonic use, and Chapter 20 took a long time but it was more tedious than difficult. Actually, the chapter I had trouble with, that took me as long as 10 and 20 combined, was...Ophelia's paralogue (getting all 4 villages), done between chapters 21 and 22.

SO

MUCH

ENEMY

SPAM.

42 of them, IIRC, including the two sets of reinforcements. Dangerous enemies, too--a couple Master Ninjas, plenty of Berserkers and Generals, a pack of Seal Defense Spear Masters, and a few magic- and bow-users to round thing out.

And you're racing against time, having to reach the villages and/or kill the Adventurers before they destroy the villages, which forces you to boldly charge into the danger zone.

And aggroing certain enemy groups will also aggro a corresponding group on the other side of the map, leading to you being swarmed from two directions at once. Three if you're trying to catch the Adventurer from the top group of reinforcements before he makes his way over to the northwest.

The woods didn't help either, throwing off my movement calculations because apparently they slow down mounted units way more than umounted ones.

In the end, I had to send three of my tanky units (with pair ups) into a 15-enemy swarm and hope they'd all survive the turn. I only won because the enemies were stupid and attacked in a very inoptimal order, letting me Dual Guard their strongest attacks.

Note that I'm playing on Casual mode (yes, Lunatic Casual), but treating it like "Classic with battle saves" (so I can save anytime, but I reload until I figure out a way to get through each chapter with no unit losses. The main reason is so that if I make a mistake, I don't have to replay the same first few turns over and over again, which started getting old about 8 chapters in (I originally started on Classic mode)). This paralogue forced me to throw out my battle saves, completely rethink my strategy, and begin the chapter anew...five times. Sixteen hours, that's how long it took from first trying the chapter to finally beating it. And thirteen of those hours were needed just to find a feasible strategy (one that left a winnable battle afterwards) for the first three turns. Such strategy ended up being ludicrously precise, with me having exactly enough units to deal with the initial southeast group and visit that village in two turns (with Vantage-Nosferatank-Sorcerer Leo meanwhile visiting the southwest village and baiting that group to its death) and then having Camilla fly Xander up to one-shot the north adventurer on turn 3 (and Xander surviving the ensuing enemy phase only thanks to HP, Defense, and Resistance tonics).

For comparison, the main story chapter I'd just beaten--Chapter 21, Eternal Stairway--took me only one retry, and no I didn't cheese it, I fielded a full army.

Anyone else have a hard time with Ophelia's paralogue?

Edited by ajmiam

Really glad I used benny on my lunatic cq run, because he was facetanking every single shuriken in ch17. Had 1 hp for most of the chapter, but nontheless slowly pushed forward as the only frontline I had. I can imagine this map being ultra lame if I had to actually pay attention to all those grisly wounds + poison touch ninjas bum rushing you.

Ch20 though... jesus I suck at the wind mechanics. Didn't even bother getting the dragonstone chest. I just wanted it to be over.