Why are all the characters so Tsundere?

Alandrage

What? That makes no sense. The characters are made to be likable, yes, but no characters are made specifically to be sexually pleasing.

Nothing about Takumi is made to be sexually attractive. Some may find him attractive, but he wasn't made to be that way.[/background]

This game feels time and again like a really crummy Japanese dating sim, though; games that are made to make the player feel special/happy by having characters that are sexually attracted to the player and tell them they exist to serve them again and again.

That vibe permeates from this game at just about every moment of it, to the point where most of the characters can be defined by "Loves/protects/is friends with/is jealous of/is grateful towards My Unit".

It just really, really feels like the characters don't exist for their own sake, but for the player's. I never had thoughts like those when I played the other FE games.

Coming back to Takumi, his jealousy really feels like he's not upset because of any inferiority complex, but because he feels jealous of and betrayed by the MU.

Betrayed by a completely binary decision that MU was railroaded into making by the game, and which the game then attempts to make you feel bad for making despite being given no other choice by the game's mechanics.

He feels like just another aspect of the game to clumsily yank at the player's feelings for "betraying their true family", an affect that rings utterly hollow thanks to this game's terrible writing and the inconsequential nature of player choices in a game based around the player's choices.

I know his angst is meant to be treated seriously, but it just feels so badly presented that I just can't take it seriously.

Edited by Alandrage

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This game feels time and again like a really crummy Japanese dating sim, though; games that are made to make the player feel special/happy by having characters that are sexually attracted to the player and tell them they exist to serve them again and again.

That vibe permeates from this game at just about every moment of it, to the point where most of the characters can be defined by "Loves/protects/is friends with/is jealous of/is grateful towards My Unit".

It just really, really feels like the characters don't exist for their own sake, but for the player's. I never had thoughts like those when I played the other FE games.

Coming back to Takumi, his jealousy really feels like he's not upset because of any inferiority complex, but because he feels jealous of and betrayed by the MU. He feels like just another aspect of the game to clumsily yank at the player's feelings for "betraying their true family", an affect that rings utterly hollow thanks to this game's terrible writing.

This game feels time and again like a really crummy Japanese dating sim

Oh look, the fanbase after Awakening.

joke

That's all I have to say really. I have things to say against this, but other people are much better at saying what I want to say. I'll leave them to them.

Coming back to Takumi, his jealousy really feels like he's not upset because of any inferiority complex, but because he feels jealous of and betrayed by the MU. He feels like just another aspect of the game to clumsily yank at the player's feelings for "betraying their true family", an affect that rings utterly hollow thanks to this game's terrible writing.

I know his angst is meant to be treated seriously, but it just feels so badly presented that I just can't take it seriously.

Really. Dating sim? Have you ever played one?

If you're absolutely serious about this, what possible good can you derive from posting this in a Fates subforum? If you're not serious about this, then please stop.

I don't understand why people think Takumi is a tsundere, and I think a lot of people don't really understand what tsundere is. If his initial distrust and hostility towards someone he didn't know turning into trust and respect for someone he does come to see as a good person is considered tsundere, then the entire world must be full of tsunderes.

Takumi isn't like Severa (whom people generally agree as a tsundere), nor is he a brat. He's insecure, but his insecurity is portrayed in a very realistic way and makes him feel more human. Because human beings are perfect. Ironically I find that a lot of people who hate Takumi for his "rudeness" come off far ruder than he is for worse reasons, at least in their online interactions. You hate what you are, I guess?

EDIT: I also think using Takumi and Azura's S-support to explain his feelings towards her is not the right way to go, though. Personally, I find it cheap. Takumi has a lot of reasons that do not have anything to do with romantic feelings to have distrusted Azura and to have continued to distrust her until the events of Birthright/Revelation. And S-supports are a bad indicator for anything canon. After all, in Oboro and Takumi's S-support he said that he noticed her feelings all along and wanted to marry her as well. Considering that Takumi's coldness towards Azura can have other reasonable explanations besides his wanting to be with her, while Oboro is the only one whom he's not prickly towards to begin with, I'm more inclined to believe Oboro/Takumi, but that just brings up the point that S-supports are horseshit because too many people are all "I've loved you forever" with absolutely no reason for us to believe it. Writers don't know how love works, that's the simplest answer.

Edited by Sunwoo

Coming back to Takumi, his jealousy really feels like he's not upset because of any inferiority complex, but because he feels jealous of and betrayed by the MU.

Betrayed by a completely binary decision that MU was railroaded into making by the game, and which the game then attempts to make you feel bad for making despite being given no other choice by the game's mechanics.

He feels like just another aspect of the game to clumsily yank at the player's feelings for "betraying their true family", an affect that rings utterly hollow thanks to this game's terrible writing and the inconsequential nature of player choices in a game based around the player's choices.

You aren't wrong about the game undermining what little good writing it had with Takumi to add more Avatar pole licking (seriously, that end-game dream sequence in Conquest is made of cringe) but that doesn't change the fact that the game wants you to take his issues seriously. It being badly written doesn't change their objective.

Um isn't what you describe a very common support structure in about every fire emblem game? In the C support they meet and get on well, in B one of them gets mad and in A they make up . That layout already existed in binding blade where the support system was first introduced.