[FE8] Newbie Hacking Questions

Vis_Mage

Hello! :Roy:

So, I've been on again off again messing around with learning how to hack fe7 for a while now. Recently though, I decided that for my first actual project, I'd really like to try and move on to fe8 because it's what all the cool kids are doing, and it's my favorite in the series. Only issue is now I have to figure out what I can and can't keep doing from what I've been learning. I know that the Ultimate Guide goes over both, but given how many people are starting to hack fe8 all of a sudden, I figured it was worth asking again.

1. Can mugs and character battle animations formatted for fe7 be used in fe8 without having to edit them?

2. Are there any changes that I have to make to fe7 events to make them work in fe8? Specifically, I use Eventiel ( http://tebrigade.b1.jcink.com/index.php?act=Pages&pid=2 ) for the base of my events, and add in the smaller details afterwards. I included the event data for an (unfinished) early chapter I was making in the spoiler at the bottom of the post. If there's anything major that needs changing for fe8, could you point it out to me?

3. Random extra question, is it possible to give a "use" effect to a weapon (similar to the Fruit Knife in fates)?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, I'm pretty out of the loop when it comes to this sort of thing. :Knoll:

Edited by Vis_Mage

1. Can mugs and character battle animations formatted for fe7 be used in fe8 without having to edit them?

Yes but some of the script commands may have changed (example: Nergal/Athos sfx/gfx are probably different)

2. Are there any changes that I have to make to fe7 events to make them work in fe8? Specifically, I use Eventiel ( http://tebrigade.b1.jcink.com/index.php?act=Pages&pid=2 ) for the base of my events, and add in the smaller details afterwards. I included the event data for an (unfinished) early chapter I was making in the spoiler at the bottom of the post. If there's anything major that needs changing for fe8, could you point it out to me?

I believe that there are tons of differences, as many of the codes are different between the two games (though the assembler actually may end up with the same hex? I don't know how events work to be perfectly honest).

I also believe there is not an FE8 eventiel equivalent though there may actually be one.

3. Random extra question, is it possible to give a "use" effect to a weapon (similar to the Fruit Knife in fates)?

yes

there may be a hardcoded check that needs to be edited, my memories on the matter are annoyingly hazy

For more on eventing you should check out http://feuniverse.us/t/fe8-the-grand-eventing-wiki-chapter-construction-guide-wip/1594.

I also believe there is not an FE8 eventiel equivalent though there may actually be one.

There is one: http://boviex.github.io/eventiel_fe8/eventiel_FE8.html

However as the Eventing Wiki says,

DON'T USE THIS TO BUILD EVENTS, JUST USE IT FOR HELP WITH CAMERA STUFF AND MAP THINGS.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Looking at me first post, I can't believe I forgot to even put the event at all. :/ At this point though, I'll probably just try to convert it into Fe8 code, and post it here if I run into any problems.

Another small question, I don't suppose there is a patch to apply a custom battle frame into fe8? I know one existed for fe7, and my attempt to do it manually...didn't turn out as expected. I figure it's worth asking about before I try again.