FE8 Eirika and Ephraim Battle Palette Question

Bloodfox1998

Hello all. I'm currently working on a somewhat basic reskin of FE 8 for me and my friends, and ran into trouble when it came to editing the battle palettes for Ephraim and Eirika's replacements. As you probably know, because Ephraim and Eirika don't actually have a palette and use the default palette of the battle animation, I've run into toruble. I've attempted to edit the individual colors of the sprite sheet in Usenti, and made sure to requantize to ensure that I only had 16 colors, but when I try to insert the sprite via FEditor, it still says that the sprite exceeds 16 colors. Strangely after attempting this and re opening the sprite sheets in Usenti, I found that somehow a small gradient of colors was added to the list of colors on the right that are currently in the image. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

For anyone who is having this problem, I have the answer.

First, get the programs you need (Nightmare, FE Recolor, BSPalette Assembler, FE ROM and APE *optional*)

Open Nightmare and your ROM.

Open the Palette Association Editor Part 1 and 2

On Palette Association Editor part 1 you want to scroll down to what character you want to give a Palette to, go to his BASE PALETTE and select an unused one (I choose 0x6E) *Apply Changes/Save Rom*

On Palette Association Editor part 2 you want to scroll to the same character and for whatever class you want to assign the pallet to, you choose BASE CLASS (I choose the Necromancer) *Apply Changes/Save Rom*

Open up FE RECOLOR and load image of what you want to change (I chose the necromancer)

Edit the RGB values to whatever you want or Import a Hex that you have copied to your clipboard

Then once you have finished changing the colors you are going to want to hit "copy hex to clipboard"

paste the hex somewhere, you won't need the program anymore. Don't save it

5553FF7FFF6B1F4B9556FF7FCE39567B0A4E0821A5140000B556420800000000

next open up FE BSPalette Assembler

select browse and pick your ROM

under game select what game you have (i did FE8)

under Palette entry select the same palette that you assigned to your characters BASE PALETTE (i did 0x6e)

Click on import from clipboard

click on Insert palette entry

Something should come up saying Repoint, click on it.

Then save ROM

Close then re-open nightmare

Open your Rom and a module called palete reference, should be in a folder called animation

scroll down to the custom pallet you just made (I used 0x6e)

If you have a battle palette pointer other than 0x00 it worked. (mine is 0x9001764)

Also, if you have imported a Hex the colors may have not been in the same order so you might have to play around with it

Open your game and check if your character looks different

To edit your Pallet in APE, a tool that I like to use, all you do is take the Battle Palette Pointer and subtract 8000000 from it so 0x9001764 - 8000000 = 1001764 <-- and that's the number you will put into APE's

Offset(hex) box. Make sure to have the Compressed Palette box checked.

Just make sure instead of Lyon and Necromancer, you do Erika and Lord

Edited by xXMrMooMoo

Thanks it worked like you said! Small related question, is there a nightmare module for FE8 that can be used to assign the animation used for certain weapon types? Like when i inserted the animation over Eirika's normal one, it only used the map animation, as if there was no animation for the class.