Do the Verdanians speak with any kind of accent?

FionordeQuester

I have only completed up to Japanese 1 in my studies, so I don't feel confident in deciding the answer to that question for sure. But, just from a very quick read-up, it doesn't seem as though they do; they just happen to speak very roughly. So instead of, I dunno...

"Havin' 'em all kinda speak like 'dis, an' givin' 'em all kinds a' crazy contractions n' the like"

They'd just speak normally. They'd use vulgar words and inappropriately forceful ending particles, but they're still mostly using standard, right? That's the impression I get.

Edited by FionordeQuester

I have only completed up to Japanese 1 in my studies, so I don't feel confident in deciding the answer to that question for sure. But, just from a very quick read-up, it doesn't seem as though they do; they just happen to speak very roughly. So instead of, I dunno...

"Havin' 'em all kinda speak like 'dis, an' givin' 'em all kinds a' crazy contractions n' the like"

They'd just speak normally. They'd use vulgar words and inappropriately forceful ending particles, but they're still mostly using standard, right? That's the impression I get.

This isn't based off of any official information, but I always thought of them having a southern accent, or a pirate accent.

Edited by Lantairu

Bandit accents in FE are IMO heavy, barely intelligible Cockney or Scottish accents. Even in the older translation, I got the vibe from them. Some axe wielding bosses who are in professional armies, like Gheb have this, too, whereas Hector has a London accent, and Caellach has an Irish one. Pirate is spoken by Fargus, Dart, and the Galdur pirates, including Darros.

I know; but it's more about helping Bookofholsety with his proofreading. I didn't like the cockney accent he gave them, but I wanted to check my bases before letting him know. Again, my impression is that their vulgarity was shown more in their choice of words and particles rather than any kind of accent they may have had; but I wanted to double check before saying anything.

I don't think that the western audience would actually care about how the characters talk originally.

Seeing how they prefer Yewfelle over Ichival gives me that assumption.

okay, no. no. that is not how this shit works! you can like a localisation and still be interested in how a work was originally presented! they are not mutually exclusive! if you seriously think that such low-level, pedantic namewank over people's personal preferences is reason enough to declare that absolutely nobody has ever cared about the original text, i have some very bad news for you

like, we get it. "hurr hurr localisation is the devil and bill trinen is a witch". you've made your totally unnuanced point perfectly clear a million times already

Bandit accents in FE are IMO heavy, barely intelligible Cockney or Scottish accents. Even in the older translation, I got the vibe from them. Some axe wielding bosses who are in professional armies, like Gheb have this, too, whereas Hector has a London accent, and Caellach has an Irish one.

yeah, you can really tell these outlaws are the anime equivalent to noted downtrodden frontier settlements like east end london

I don't think that the western audience would actually care about how the characters talk originally.

Ah yes. 'They', you say, of the western FE community, aka 'this forum'

okay, no. no. that is not how this shit works! you can like a localisation and still be interested in how a work was originally presented! they are not mutually exclusive! if you seriously think that such low-level, pedantic namewank over people's personal preferences is reason enough to declare that absolutely nobody has ever cared about the original text, i have some very bad news for you

like, we get it. "hurr hurr localisation is the devil and bill trinen is a witch". you've made your totally unnuanced point perfectly clear a million times already

mods please rename me to "low-level, pedantic namewank" thanks in advance

Yewfelle can lead to a lot of puns.

What does Ichival have over it?

...Ok, I know that localization issues are touchy ones for a lot of people, and they're valuable ones to talk about. I definitely don't want to discourage any conversation about them either, since they fascinate me too...

But, could you guys please take them to another place, like the PMs? Or the translation beta thread that's open right now? Or make a new thread? I just want an answer to my question, darn it emot-crying.gif!

...Ok, I know that localization issues are touchy ones for a lot of people, and they're valuable ones to talk about. I definitely don't want to discourage any conversation about them either, since they fascinate me too...

But, could you guys please take them to another place, like the PMs? Or the translation beta thread that's open right now? Or make a new thread? I just want an answer to my question, darn it emot-crying.gif!

I'd help, 'cept i cant read japanese. Can't say I'm surprised that this thread has devolved into salt and namewank, though. Mainly because I can't think of a single translation related thread where it hasn't. You'ld have better luck asking somewhere other than this forum IMO, simply because this forum is totaly incapable of seeing the forest through the trees on this issue. Try an fanslation-specific forum. (I'm sure they exist, although i don't know of any specific ones.)

Edited by sirmola

People usually feel satisfied with a game they can read the text rather than wonder how inaccurate it could be. I'm no different, you will never see me complaint about how much Megaman ruins the Rock & Roll Rhythm.

This only happens if you love the game enough.

If you do a little research on the background behind the names of Batou and Jamuka, you'll know the Verdane got some references from the Mongolian Yuan dynasty. They were less civilized than their neighbors/enemies, the Song and Ming dynasty. Maybe they talked in a less fancy, less colorful way than the enemy nobles, but it doesn't mean the Mongolian royalty would share the behavior of the uneducated, bastard bandits.

I don't think Jamuka's brothers are that much uneducated than him. They are all princes, and were raised by the same King.

Enough talk about our first sniper, now let's talk about the next sniper we get.

A woman, who was raised by a pirate, grown up in the pirate lair, all believe in herself that she's a truly outlaw pirate, and we never see her talking the pirate accent.

Don't you think it's a bit strange, while a normal pirate cannot learn to become a noble lady in one day.

post-1292-0-67658400-1470221341.png

post-1292-0-67658400-1470221341_thumb.png

Edited by hanhnn

I assumed that "going speechless" referred to the lack of posts, meaning no-one's talking, hence people are "speechless". In regards to the actual topic, I have nothing to add.

Yeah, I'm surprised that no one comments after my post.

I don't know if they agree or disagree.

Do they think it's better for Brigid to talk like a real pirate, because she's a real pirate ?

More important is how the Naga project's translator thinks, will he change the Jamuka and Brigid's dialogues to match the characters' background?

Or he will still keep the false impression that people have for all these years?

Hmmm...well, in Jamka's case, it makes sense for him to talk that way. His dad doesn't talk like Kinbois and Gandalf either, nor does Deirdre. So it's safe to assume that gangsta speak isn't an inherent part of being Verdanian.

Brigid...well, that's a bit trickier, but it still kind of works if you think about it. She was already 5 years old by the time she ended up with the pirates, so I could see her sticking with more sophisticated diction, just because that's what she's used to. But you're right, that's a bit more borderline.

Almost no one cares about this (except for the OP).

Looks like this proves my point in #6.

No, your point is just as devoid of merit now as it was when you first made it. The idea that people don't care about this does not in any way have anything to do with people preferring Yewfelle over Ichival.