Tellius Recollection (Vol 1) Translation / Discussion Thread

I'm betting she will. They've got really obscure characters like Elena, Zelgius, Gareth etc. in this book so they'll need something to fill the second book with : P

Got some more blasts from the past for ya: Unused heron models

The transformed non-royal heron's map model is the same, but the textures are very different.

We also have a generic Serenes citizen, although I dunno if their design is canon. Sadly, it seems the developers never finished the battle model because the palette is completely bonkers.

Finally, there's Leanne's battle model. No surprises really except they actually made one and you don't get to see it until Radiant Dawn. Presumably Leanne was meant to be a unit you had to protect on the map, rather than carry.

Slightly later than expected, here are some pics of Bishop Elincia in FE9.

hb0p3Q9.png

Some background info...

During cutscenes, Elincia occasionally appears in her trademark orange costume, but this "Elincia" is a dummy female Bishop with no name or portrait. The one you see in my pictures is the dummy with the name and portrait fixed.

On the subject of Elincia and Elena's designs.

Here's Elincia's map model in FE9:

Elincia2.png

Versus Elena's map model in FE10:

Elena-1.png

More views of both in here and here.

actually, i have a bit of a question. would it be possible for you to provide some directions on how to call models and classes such as these into being present in gameplay, for the benefit of those who might like to reproduce your findings and maybe document them in greater detail? i for one am pretty curious and would love to poke around with the generic herons and adult!sanaki in particular in greater detail, but i haven't the foggiest idea of how to go about it. i'd appreciate if you could give some insight into how you pulled these off. what little i'm able to do with action replays is starting to wear a little thin, even if it's hilarious

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, I can give some pointers.

[spoiler=A bit of a lengthy starter guide]For starters, I do everything by directly modifying the ISO. You could probably achieve the same results with Action Replay, but it's not really that intuitive for me. If you haven't already, I suggest briefly reading the FE10 Hacking Notes since a lot of the basics are similar.

The first main difference is that you need to use GCR to extract the ISO's contents and recompile the modified ISO. After recompiling a ISO, you can also use GCR to replace individual files without needing to recompile the modified ISO each time.

The second difference is that the main database file, "FE8Data", is a dummy. What you actually need to edit is "system", which is compressed via LZ77. Inside "system" are a bunch of important game files, including "FE8Data" near the start. What you can do is edit "FE8Data", then insert it into the decompressed "system" in the correct position.

The benefit of editing "FE8Data" is easier management of pointers, unless you like adding and subtracting a lot.

Afterwards, you can edit character data (minus the starting class) in FE8Data. This is also where you go to edit map models. Without any references, a good way to locate characters and identify points of interest is to search for labels near the bottom of the file, like PID_JILL and then calculate a hypothetical pointer to that label and search for that pointer.

Similarly, it should be easy to identify pointers in the data and follow them to the corresponding labels.

The map models are called using the AID_xxxxx labels. Each character generally has one or two, for their promoted and non-promoted forms. What I did was look for a pointer to PID_JILL to find Jill's data, then I go through all her pointers until I find two that start with AID, then I swap them both to the AID label for Elena's map model, for example.

Changing classes is a bit more fiddly. You need to look in the zmap folder, then find the folder for the chapter you want to edit. Inside should be a "dispos" file, which you need to decompress via LZ77. Like "system", each "dispos" file contains around 4 files, one the 3 difficulty modes and another for story events. To properly read the pointers, you need to figure out where each of the 4 files begin.

After that, you can change classes by either physically rewriting the JID labels, for example JID_DRAGONKNIGHT to JID_BIRDHE to change Jill into a nontransformed Heron. Or by changing the pointer to a pointer to a different class. The second method is limited to the classes that exist in that chapter--the developers only include classes that actually appear in that chapter.

Meanwhile, the first method will change everybody of that class into the new class; as such, you may want to use a mix of both methods. In addition, if the new label is longer than the original, you will need to be smart and write a new label somewhere else, then point to that. What you can do is write arbitrary labels at the end, then edit the file size value in the header so the game knows there's more data to read.

By editing the "dispos" file, you can also change which characters appear in the field. But be careful of messing up PID-based events. For instance, if you swap Boyd for another character in the Prologue, you won't be able to advance unless you edit the script.

Edited by VincentASM

I don't think the Laguz age chart is the way it works in the final product. I've noticed a couple of contradictions with in-game dialogue.

Nasir gives Kurthnaga's age as at least a hundred, but according to the chart, Kurthnaga is actually closer to three hundred. Even if a two-hundred year gap doesn't seem like much to the dragons, I would expect Nasir to have a more accurate idea of his prince's age.

It also contradicts what Stefan says about Branded aging and the fact that they can't stay among the Beorc for long periods because of it. He made it sound like the slowed aging is something they all have to deal with, and it definitely sounded to me like he was talking from bitter experience, but according to the chart, it should hardly be an issue for half-lions at all. In fact, that chart makes it look like the slowed aging should only be an issue for the half-dragons, but there is a strong possibility that Soren is the very first of that sub-group.

With those issues, I think it's more likely that they used that chart in the early stages of building the setting, but they went with something else when they were writing the final scripts.

Hmm, yeah, that could be a possibility. It might also explain the inconsistencies I mentioned here.

On a related note, here's the page on Laguz history.

One cool thing I noticed is that Goldoa was researching dragonstones. So Tellius may not be that disconnected from the rest of the FE universe.

Laguz require power to remain shifted and eventually return to their humanoid forms. Presumably the dragonstone would do away with that caveat, somehow.

My impression is that Goldoa's research into dragonstones was intended to pave the way for the dragonstones used by the Manakete. So what was intended to be a convenience for the Goldoans ended up being a necessity for the Manakete.

However, I think Goldoa's dragonstones ended up being removed from the canon.

That bit about the survivors of Serenes was interesting. The games made it seem like there were only four survivors period, but specifying that "most" of the survivors were in the same situation as Rafiel may be implying that some heron commoners could still be alive.

Updated main post with Zelgius profile (was requested) and VincentASM's Laguz history page!

Also updated a note from the book regarding character profiles, and which information is from the design documents (and so may be at odds with the final game).

I haven't heard back regarding the Mordecai profile yet...so will see what I do next!

I requested Kieran, Ike, and Elincia... You could check those out while you're waiting, maybe? :P

Yep! Elincia actually has a second concept art page (and Ike's hasn't been done yet), so was going to do those two, which lines up with that. : )

Nice work! It's good to know which parts of the profiles are from the game or not. I imagine there might've been a bunch of changes during development.

By the way, Zelgius is the Earl of Kadohl in the localised version, I believe. I actually don't remember his title in the Japanese version...

Nice work! It's good to know which parts of the profiles are from the game or not. I imagine there might've been a bunch of changes during development.

By the way, Zelgius is the Earl of Kadohl in the localised version, I believe. I actually don't remember his title in the Japanese version...

Was he? When I looked at the script for RD, Valtome referred to him as:being of Cador (though not Earl or Duke)

"Valtome: Uwee hee hee. You're not even a tiny bit surprised, Lord Zelgius of

Cador? What a frightful bore you are. I came here in secret just to

surprise you."

The only reason I went with Duke in the end is for consistency with what the FE wiki says:

"Zelgius's title as the Duke of Kadohl, or Cador, depending on the translation, is similar to the title given to Macbeth in William Shakespeare's play Macbeth, where he is bestowed the title "Thane of Cawdor"."

I'm not sure if that changed from FE9, but that was my only cross-reference as it was hard to find otherwise xD In Japanese, though, as you said Earl would be more accurate, as it says カドール伯爵

Though, now that they mention translation, was he called Kadohl in the European version?

Ahh...wish they could keep things consistent. xD

Edited by Kirokan

Oh, I actually didn't know he was Cador in Radiant Dawn. Yeah, he's Kadohl in the European version of PoR as well.

I think the scripts of the games were so big and maybe they changed the localisation team, so there are a lot of minor inconsistencies between the games.

I've got a section on my site about this, but there's stuff like Guiding Tower vs Tower of Guidance and I'm pretty sure there's Deghinsea vs Dheginsea. Let me find the link...

Ta-da!

Also, I lied. Almost finished the Laguz landscape page; it was that easy XD

Good job, Vincent! Thank you so much! :-) (And I'm sorry the Daein segment I requested gave you such trouble.)

It's nice to hear something about things which are generally considered unimportant, such as agriculture and economy. I've always wondered how the Tellius nations finance themselves.

I always saw the regions lying east of Lake Semper as kinda Russian/Eastern European. I mean, we have Makalov as a playable character, Istvan and Sergei as bosses in RD...

Anyway, it's nice to see how my thoughts go with the concepts for the Noad region.

Oh, I actually didn't know he was Cador in Radiant Dawn. Yeah, he's Kadohl in the European version of PoR as well.

I think the scripts of the games were so big and maybe they changed the localisation team, so there are a lot of minor inconsistencies between the games.

I've got a section on my site about this, but there's stuff like Guiding Tower vs Tower of Guidance and I'm pretty sure there's Deghinsea vs Dheginsea. Let me find the link...

Ta-da!

Also, I lied. Almost finished the Laguz landscape page; it was that easy XD

That's an awesome page! I think I read it ages ago, but gave it another run through now. Will keep it in mind as I translate more stuff here.

And awesome, looking forward to the much easier Laguz landscapes. Darn those complicated Beorc!

...also that explains why my RD transfer would always freeze when using my other memory card... xD

Good job, Vincent! Thank you so much! :-) (And I'm sorry the Daein segment I requested gave you such trouble.)
It's nice to hear something about things which are generally considered unimportant, such as agriculture and economy. I've always wondered how the Tellius nations finance themselves.
I always saw the regions lying east of Lake Semper as kinda Russian/Eastern European. I mean, we have Makalov as a playable character, Istvan and Sergei as bosses in RD...
Anyway, it's nice to see how my thoughts go with the concepts for the Noad region.

Let's not mention the current issues with Russia and Crimea, though... (xD)

I have a PAL copy of RD so I checked the scene with Valtome and he does indeed say Kadohl in the PAL version.

Thanks for double checking... I guess I'll stick with what NoA did... but will keep that in mind going forward when other inconsistencies pop up (and mark them accordingly).

Edited by Kirokan

Laguz Landscape

Some pretty cool tidbits, although I just realised a potentially big inconsistency. In the grand timeline of Tellius, Begnion invades Kilvas at one point, which I'm pretty sure is somehow connected to the Blood Pact.

However, from the information available, it seems nigh impossible to invade Kilvas because of its location up in the mountains. Hmm...

Thinking on it, it seems largely impractical to send in just pegasus and wyvern knights to invade a country of 'technically' superior fliers... Unless they actually did, then I'd be really impressed.

Otherwise, oh the inconsistencies. or some other method... unless they warped... nah.

Edited by Soledai

Oh, I totally forgot Begnion had fliers. Since Kilvas isn't that far from Begnion, I guess it could be feasible.

I did consider Warp, but the Warp Powder was experimental technology at the start of PoR, nevermind centuries again ^^

Remember, Begnion has fliers. Pegasus knights and wyvern riders as well. They probably invaded that way.

EDIT: Oh, ninja'd I guess. :P

Edited by Anacybele

The NA version of PoR had some notorious continuity errors. Persis was translated multiple times over with different spellings in the same game (including Belsis). I think the EU version is probably more on the ball for these things. RD also settled on a single translation name for locations. IIRC Path of Radiance was handled by Treehouse but Radiant Dawn might be 8-5? Either that or Treehouse buckled down for a more consistent translation but totally cut the extended script.

The NA version of PoR had some notorious continuity errors. Persis was translated multiple times over with different spellings in the same game (including Belsis). I think the EU version is probably more on the ball for these things. RD also settled on a single translation name for locations. IIRC Path of Radiance was handled by Treehouse but Radiant Dawn might be 8-5? Either that or Treehouse buckled down for a more consistent translation but totally cut the extended script.

8-4 didn't come in until Shadow Dragon, I believe, as it's not on their portfolio.

I took a quick look at the localization staff for both games:

FE9 Localization:

North American Localization Management

• Jeff Miller
  • Leslie Swan
  • Bill Trinen

North American Localization

• Tim O'Leary
  • Rich Amtower
  • Alan Averill
  • Thomas Connery
  • Erik Peterson
  • Ann Lin

European Localisation Management

• Kai Zeh
  • Hiroyuki Uesugi
  • Andy Fey

FE10 Localization

North American Localization Management

• Jeff Miller
  • Leslie Swan
  • Bill Trinen
  • Nate Bihldorff

North American Localization

• Rich Amtower
  • Tim O'Leary
  • Maki Yamane
  • Robert Heiret
  • Jonathan Yeckley
  • Dierdre Timmons
  • Kamaleah Kott
  • Greg Barry
  • Tyler Carpenter
  • Chiko Bird

European Localisation Management

• Andy Fey
  • Jan Kuczynski

European Localisation

• Martina Deimel
  • Judith Matz
  • Helge Friedrich
  • Zadia Messerli
  • Florence d'Anterroches
  • Mathilde Demarcy
  • Araceli Mazón Figueroa
  • Vic Abril Fazekas
  • Monica Citi
  • Marco Migliori
  • Tito Leati

So despite NoA handling both, RD had a much, much larger group on both ends. Perhaps there was more coordination/editing involved too?

I feel like when I'm done here that I should go look even more in-depth at all the continuity/translation errors, like Vincent posted on that page provided, and these few posted here.

It would be a big help if someone could make an ultimate list of them and send them to me later on. (I'm still very interested in the extended script and translating it too, even).

Though, with the RD book out on Oct. 28th, wonder if it's better to read that before or after. But I have hopes that the book will give us a lot of info that was otherwise cut...

Anyway! Uploaded Vincent's two landscape posts, and also my own for Titania's Concept Art and Elincia's Page 2 (as well as Geoffrey/Lucia)

Edited by Kirokan