Tellius Recollection (Vol 1) Translation / Discussion Thread

Great to have you back! :)

Hehe, I'm not sure how I feel with some of the short profiles, since I was expecting a bit more. But at the same time, I'm happy there's plenty of space for the official artwork XD

Yeah, it really only recaps what the game offered anyway, so a few of these are really sparse. I still enjoy reading them a lot, if only for nostalgia.

Hobby: Polishing swords

Oh, my! :D

On a more serious tone - it's a bit strange that Zihark's (designed as) 22yo, but had a relationship with a laguz "a long time ago". Might just be because I'm old, but for me, less than 5 years would defenitely not be a long time and more than that would be a bit silly.

But I suppose that's just jRPG age syndrome striking again.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't worry, I love Zihark, so I like seeing him. ^^ Awesome job, you guys, and I'm glad you're feeling better, Kirokan!

I would consider 3-4 years a long time, personally... It definitely feels like I broke up with my ex a long time ago, which was actually four years ago, I can tell you that. Oh, and I'm 25. Not much older than Zihark, probably. He could be anywhere from 22 to 24, really, given the age he's meant to look.

Edited by Anacybele

Nice!

Hehe, I'm not sure how I feel with some of the short profiles, since I was expecting a bit more. But at the same time, I'm happy there's plenty of space for the official artwork XD

By the way, the first paragraph of Janaff's profile has "Vigilance" instead of "Insight".

Fixed that, thanks for pointing it out!

Yes, it does make me wonder what exactly the RD profiles will look like, since this game has these profiles with support conversations in mind. I half wonder if they will just be the encyclopedia profiles word for word. xD

Great to have you back! :)

Yeah, it really only recaps what the game offered anyway, so a few of these are really sparse. I still enjoy reading them a lot, if only for nostalgia.

Oh, my! :D

On a more serious tone - it's a bit strange that Zihark's (designed as) 22yo, but had a relationship with a laguz "a long time ago". Might just be because I'm old, but for me, less than 5 years would defenitely not be a long time and more than that would be a bit silly.

But I suppose that's just jRPG age syndrome striking again.

Don't worry, I love Zihark, so I like seeing him. ^^ Awesome job, you guys, and I'm glad you're feeling better, Kirokan!

I would consider 3-4 years a long time, personally... It definitely feels like I broke up with my ex a long time ago, which was actually four years ago, I can tell you that. Oh, and I'm 25. Not much older than Zihark, probably. He could be anywhere from 22 to 24, really, given the age he's meant to look.

Yes, it is rather odd... perhaps it was a young romance that left a deep impression on him... xD

Something interesting of note, in his support with Muarim, he words his relationship like this:

Zihark: It...was too much for her. We couldn't be married, and the pressure was too much for her to stay with me. But I've never loved another woman. To this day, I think that I never shall.

And with Brom:

Zihark: I had... I had an important girlfriend before. We couldn't be together because of...complicated reasons... But even now I still think about her. I can't get her out of my mind. I appreciate your kindness, but... Anyway, that's why.

The profile used the specific wording ”死に別れた彼女" to describe her, which is "girlfriend who [he] was separated [from] by death." I should check the Japanese supports, but I wonder if that means she is alive in the English version? xD Or maybe he is just avoiding saying it straight?

Maybe I'll make an in-depth post on it later...

Edited by Kirokan

I do not have the support at hand but I know the fate of Zihark's girlfriend is much more ambiguous in the Japanese version. If she died, it certainly explains why ZIhark seems especially hung up over it. If she left due to pressure, I don't think he would be as traumatised by it as he seems to be.

Wait, I thought the Japanese version said she was dead while the English one was the one to be more vague? That's what I saw somebody on DA say about their fanart of Zihark visiting his girlfriend's grave. o.O

Wait, I thought the Japanese version said she was dead while the English one was the one to be more vague? That's what I saw somebody on DA say about their fanart of Zihark visiting his girlfriend's grave. o.O

It's heavily implied something rather grave happened which stopped them from being together in Japanese. At least in the Maurim support, anyway. It could be taken that she died (which seems to be what actually happened) but it isn't outright stated. English, though, blatantly says she left him due to too much pressure.

Maybe they got them mixed up?

It's heavily implied something rather grave happened which stopped them from being together in Japanese. At least in the Maurim support, anyway. It could be taken that she died (which seems to be what actually happened) but it isn't outright stated. English, though, blatantly says she left him due to too much pressure.

Maybe they got them mixed up?

I found the conversation. Yes, it is quite vague (with Muarim at least).

"In the end, we weren't able to remain together [for life]...I still can't...bring myself to love any other woman"

(Original):

[ツイハーク] (中央右)

そうだな…

結局、添い遂げることは

できなかったが……

俺は今でも…

彼女以外の女性を愛したことはない。

So I suppose the book does confirm that is the case. We learned something new.

It's good to hear that you feel better by now. :-)

And thanks so much for uploading Sothe's profile!

Wait a second... Sothe likes nature and animals? And he can even talk to them?! Instant win! :-D

The only thing that confuses me a bit is that he's supposed to be from Begnion, according to his Personal Data... But I love him anyways, just for his personality. <3

Besides, I just recently noticed that Zikark seems to have a little scar under his right eye. It's really hard to see though.

Huh, I see. I guess that artist did get a little mixed up then.

And I thought Sothe said he was from Daein? Maybe neither he nor Micaiah knew their true origins...

I took a little look around and he never outright says where he was born. It's possible he was born in Begnion but grew up in Daein. Maybe his situation is a little like Ike's (who was born in Gallia but lived most of his life as a Crimean citizen).

I took a little look around and he never outright says where he was born. It's possible he was born in Begnion but grew up in Daein. Maybe his situation is a little like Ike's (who was born in Gallia but lived most of his life as a Crimean citizen).

Well, it's stated in the Designer's Notes for Radiant Dawn that he was born in Daein, in Nevassa, to be exact.

Well, it's stated in the Designer's Notes for Radiant Dawn that he was born in Daein, in Nevassa, to be exact.

Hmm... I'm not really sure then. It may have been an error by the person who wrote the book? That's the only explanation I can think of.

Hmm... I'm not really sure then. It may have been an error by the person who wrote the book? That's the only explanation I can think of.

I wouldn't be too surprised about that.
On Giffca's profile, there's a line which is supposed to be from chapter 8, from what I can say. I don't speak Japanese, but since I can clearly spot an 8 there, I guess they mean chapter 8 by that. (Unfortunately, the lines are not included in the translated scans, so I can't proof it to you unless you have the book yourself.) The problem with this is that Giffca has no lines at all in this chapter, if I remember correctly. That would mean someone clearly made a mistake there. :-/

I put a disclaimer on the first post from the book which explains the discrepancies, as it gets asked about a lot (see bolded below):

Personal Data

The bottom block contains "Hobby/Talent/Finds Important/Likes/Dislikes" of a character. These are all taken from design documents of the characters themselves. As such, they may contain information that is not really in the main game itself, or include slight differences [from the final product]. Do not assume the profiles to be absolute, either. It is more that we wished to capture a broad "essence" of a character [rather than set it in stone]. For example, in Ike's case, he may love meat, but there could be days where he wants to eat fish too. Likewise, though his father is dear family to him, there are times where he may disagree or feel frustrated by him.

Also, regarding Giffca's page, yes that indeed says Chapter 8. We don't translate the lines to save time as they are directly from the game itself. : )

Edited by Kirokan

I can see it now, Sothe's profile in the RD book will have his location as "Daein". Hopefully XD

Also, dang, I forgot how cool the designer's notes for the Dawn Brigade were.

I can see it now, Sothe's profile in the RD book will have his location as "Daein". Hopefully XD

Also, dang, I forgot how cool the designer's notes for the Dawn Brigade were.

It keeps giving me the 404 error when I try to access it on that link...

And yes, I assume the RD profiles will fix it up. xD

Edited by Kirokan

It keeps giving me the 404 error when I try to access it on that link...

And yes, I assume the RD profiles will fix it up. xD

I had that same error.

http://serenesforest.net/general/designers-notes/

Try that and click on the Dawn Brigade link. Worked for me.

Edited by NJ7009

Haha, Ilyana's profile literally refers to her as a "bishoujo", so I think they designed her to look like a pretty magical girl.

Zihark's A support hints that all the men including himself kind of swoon over her.

I have a feeling her concept art (which Kirokan translated earlier) also jokes about this ^^