Tellius Recollection (Vol 1) Translation / Discussion Thread

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I put a disclaimer on the first post from the book which explains the discrepancies, as it gets asked about a lot (see bolded below):

[...]

Also, regarding Giffca's page, yes that indeed says Chapter 8. We don't translate the lines to save time as they are directly from the game itself. : )

Yeah, that would explain a lot.
Also, thanks for confirming my guess. :-)

Hmmmmm..... This looks interesting, and will be useful in my Dawn Brigade fanfiction. :)

Now I just need to write a scene where Micaiah and Sothe bond over nature. (And Sothe uses his wood crafting skills to make an engagement ring for Micaiah? :) )

I guess I'm a bit late to the party, here.

I would love to buy an English copy of this book, but I guess I'll just have to settle for the online translation.

I guess I'm a bit late to the party, here.

I would love to buy an English copy of this book, but I guess I'll just have to settle for the online translation.

There's still hope that it might get an English translation someday. They're finally translating and releasing the Knights of Iris Awakening artbook, after all. :P

I do like shipping Zihark x Ilyana. ^^

But yeah, it looks like she was intentionally designed to be a pretty magical girl!

Plus she's in Miniskirt !

Anyway, thanks for all the work in the translation ! it's thanks to you guys that I can read without a japanese translator xD

You're welcome : )

Got some updates today! Microwaveit got a little busy, so I ended up handling Soren's concept art (and thus completing all character concept art too!). VincentASM provided some more translations too, for Volke. I managed to do Lethe as it turned out I translated it awhile ago but forgot to typeset. Then, lastly, all weapon concept arts. They don't actually have all the weapons, just some. The descriptions were right from the game too, so I decided to omit them and just keep the Japanese names alongside the English ones. : )

Lethe (P. 70)

Volke (P. 105) (Notes translated by VincentASM)

Soren (136-137)

Sword Designs (170-171)

Axe & Knife Designs (172-173)

Lance Designs (174-175)

Bow Designs (176)

Hey, Rolf's Bow isn't on that bow picture! That's not fair to the poor boy. :(

Well, I've been drawing the weapons in my character concept arts fairly accurately, including Amiti! Didn't have to worry about Ragnell though, there were plenty of sources for that one. lol

I didn't get 100% accuracy, but before this, good images of the weapons were hard to come by. XD All I had for Amiti was Elincia's Smash trophy. :P

Edited by Anacybele

Little nitpick in Soren's concept art:

His tighter outfit results in a tighter figure.

(last line in the notes)

I guess the 2nd "tighter" is supposed to be "more slim" or something like that?

While I'm not a huge fan of Soren's character, I really like his outfits, especially before promotion. Neither boring nor overly convoluted.

Little nitpick in Soren's concept art:

(last line in the notes)

I guess the 2nd "tighter" is supposed to be "more slim" or something like that?

While I'm not a huge fan of Soren's character, I really like his outfits, especially before promotion. Neither boring nor overly convoluted.

So the literal translation is:

"Gives him a smaller silhouette"

By which they mean he basically takes up less space (with less flowing clothes being tighter to his skin and hence his figure). So, yes more slim I guess!

Aw, that's a bummer. Still hope it doesn't decanonize solo endings for characters who can have paired endings... that would be lame for people whose preferences are the solo endings (and those who prefer only one of Soren and Ranulf to go with Ike).

Edited by Anacybele

YAY IKE! <3

Patriotic Hero, huh? More implications that he was designed to be American styled! (patriotism runs strong here, generally) Though I don't remember that term being used in the game. I guess it's only in the Japanese version? Either way, I'm cool with it. ^^

And at least he's still the Radiant Hero later, as I kinda like that a bit better. XD

Also, being called a patriotic hero and liking birds gives me more reason to draw him with a Braviary! lol (Braviary fights for its friends, it's a bald eagle which is the US's national bird, and that makes it a patriotic symbol here)

Edited by Anacybele

I couldn't actually find the English equivalent term, tried searching on the wikis, but I recall in Radiant Dawn the closest we get is that guy in the Brom/Nephenee level saying "Ike the Patriot." I'll have to check the Japanese script later.

But the title is:

救国の英雄

Which means, specifically, "The heroic/hero patriot devoted to saving his country." So can be "Country Savior Hero" too, which sounds a little stranger... xD

EDIT: Oh cool, just as I guessed, that guy did say the exact wording as above in Japanese! And they translated to simply "Ike the Patriot." xD So I'll leave my translation as it was, I guess. Or maybe I should change it to "Patriotic Hero" or "Heroic Patriot..." hmm...

Edited by Kirokan

Some more profiles!

Mist (P. 45)

Titania (P. 46)

Soren (P. 47)

Oscar (P. 48)

Boyd (P. 49)

Boyd's profile pins all three of them having same father but different mothers... is that the way it was supposed to be? Here I thought it was one half brother and two real ones. Either way, the wording seemed to lean that way (on Oscar's profile, it only says "he is the older half brother," but on Boyd's, it is said like "His half brother Oscar, Rolf" rather than "Half brother Oscar and Rolf (as if Rolf is meant to be separate, it is odd that there is no separate description, pinning him in the same category...) Guess I'll see when I get to Rolf's profile. xD

EDIT: When looking ahead to Rolf it just talks about how his birth mother left, and otherwise that he's the youngest of the three brothers without mentioning halfs or anything. xD

Edited by Kirokan

From Radiant Dawn, it seems all three brothers do have different mothers, but Rolf's mother looked after Boyd, Rolf, and their ailing father.

Boyd: You abandoned him! You left me, Dad and Rolf for some guy! What kind of mom does that, huh!?
Woman: I was different back then! I was so young… I didn’t know how to raise two kids while looking after your bedridden father. Believe me, I tried! I tried… But it was too difficult.
Boyd: At least you and I aren’t related. But Rolf… That’s different. He’s your son! Yours! And you left him behind because it was “too hard”!?
Woman: I’m sorry… I’ve regretted my decision since the day I made it. I thought of you each and every day.
Boyd: My father died not too long after you left him. We’d have followed him, too, if my brother hadn’t abandoned his knighthood in Crimea to take care of us!

-

"Rolf: I… I do love you, Boyd. We fight all the time, and we might not be related, but you’re my real brother. Don’t make me go away. You can’t! I want to stay with you! I want to stay with my family!"

I'm not entirely sure why Rolf says he's not related, but I assume that was a mistranslation in the end.

From Radiant Dawn, it seems all three brothers do have different mothers, but Rolf's mother looked after Boyd, Rolf, and their ailing father.

Boyd: You abandoned him! You left me, Dad and Rolf for some guy! What kind of mom does that, huh!?

Woman: I was different back then! I was so young… I didn’t know how to raise two kids while looking after your bedridden father. Believe me, I tried! I tried… But it was too difficult.

Boyd: At least you and I aren’t related. But Rolf… That’s different. He’s your son! Yours! And you left him behind because it was “too hard”!?

Woman: I’m sorry… I’ve regretted my decision since the day I made it. I thought of you each and every day.

Boyd: My father died not too long after you left him. We’d have followed him, too, if my brother hadn’t abandoned his knighthood in Crimea to take care of us!

-

"Rolf: I… I do love you, Boyd. We fight all the time, and we might not be related, but you’re my real brother. Don’t make me go away. You can’t! I want to stay with you! I want to stay with my family!"

I'm not entirely sure why Rolf says he's not related, but I assume that was a mistranslation in the end.

That's what confused me too. I'll look at the Japanese script and see what I can find regarding the "we may not be related." xD

EDIT:

Yes, seems to be a (North American) localization change. Here is the convo in Japanese:

僕さボーレのこと好きだよ。 喧嘩ばっかりしてるけどボーレをちゃんと兄さんだって思ってるよ。

"I really do love you Boyd. We may fight a lot, but I still think of you as my older brother."

I suppose they took the "still think of you as an older brother" to mean he isn't really but he thinks of him as one. xD Where as super-literal translation would be:

"Because you are my older brother I think"

By which he's referring to "I feel that (I love you because you are my older brother)."

Either way, that's resolved, and I will look more deeply into this slight change another day on a dedicated post.

Edited by Kirokan

Yeah, that looks like a translation error on NA's part. Because yeah, I've read somewhere myself that Rolf, Boyd, and Oscar all have different moms, but the same dad (their dad sure slept around, huh? lol).

I'm surprised Titania's profile doesn't mention that she was in love with Greil, :o Or was this a localization-only thing?

Edited by Anacybele

Well, I can tell you that the European version actually fixed that one. It uses the same line but with the "and we might not be related" part cut out.

Thanks for pointing that out. I'd love to find the European script in full and compare it directly with the NA one (and THEN the Japanese one...). Glad they did it right. xD

Great work on the translations so far Kirokan. At least the RD delay will give you a chance to have a break!

Thanks! And yeah, that's true, I was worried I'd only be halfway done with these ones by the time that book came around. I finished a replay run of Radiant Dawn just a few days ago to refresh my memory so I'll be better prepared for when that book comes out too. xD