Tellius Recollection (Vol 1) Translation / Discussion Thread

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha, I wonder if everybody likes my Shinon nickname. XD

Awesome to see Rolf! I figured the "san" and "chan" thing was Japanese only. We don't have anything like that in English except maybe for "sir" and "ma'am" or "Mr." and "Miss" and I'm pretty sure even they don't really mean the exact same thing.

Haha, I wonder if everybody likes my Shinon nickname. XD

Awesome to see Rolf! I figured the "san" and "chan" thing was Japanese only. We don't have anything like that in English except maybe for "sir" and "ma'am" or "Mr." and "Miss" and I'm pretty sure even they don't really mean the exact same thing.

Yep, and when I checked the game script they didn't localize Rolf to be particularly formal toward Ike and such, so they left it out understandably entirely.

Some more!

Ike & Elincia (P. 56-57) (Ike as a Lord and Elincia as a princess)

Elincia (P. 58-59)

Kurthnaga (P. 81)

Rajaion (P. 82)

Rajaion's profile was all sorts of weird. I think the editors missed some things, you can see the notes on my blog post here.

Edited by Kirokan

Looks like Rajaion may have had some template issues. The mistakes seem like a bad copy+paste into whatever formatting tool they were using. But you can really tell how much he resembles Soren here. It's nice to finally have a high res scan of his art.

Some more!

Ike & Elincia (P. 56-57) (Ike as a hero and Elincia as a princess)

To be more correct, that is Ike as a Lord.

He is a hero only in Radiant Dawn.

Anyway, the information about Kurthnaga's mother memento is interesting: perhaps the knife he has in the artwork may be said memento. Or maybe I'm just overthinking.

Yeah, that's Ike as a Lord, but damn Ragnell is huge! XD But that just shows how strong Ike is to be able to wield that thing the way he does! He swings it with one arm! And I love his smile! You hardly ever see Ike smile! It really shows off how cute and handsome he is. <3 *drools*

Ragnell wasn't given to him by Sanaki in this game though, he took it from the forest after the BK left it. lol It's only in RD that Sanaki actually gives it to him.

And yay Elincia! Awesome stuff! Glad to see nothing saying she actually loves Geoffrey and instead saying she treats both him and Lucia like real family. I knew it! Kind of relieved here since it helps my political marriage theory. Though Geoffrey's profile will probably say he loves her in THAT way.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm actually a bit surprised Elincia's profile doesn't mention her crushes on Ike and Geoffrey. I like that.

Also, what pretty artwork for her and Ike! I never expected Ragnell to be quite so big as that (I mean, in game, I don't think it was that size). It's impressive he can carry it one-handed, nevermind swing it. Ike is not very bulky in PoR, after all.

Good work on the translation!

Not like this series has ever shied away from family loving each other "that way".

True that, but doesn't mean I still can't find it weird and dumb. I mean, what's the point if you're just going to make them lovers in the end? Why couldn't Lucia and Geoffrey have been written as just childhood friends instead of "siblings"? Honestly. I would've probably liked Elincia and Geoffrey as a couple more if this was the case, especially since I'm a sucker for childhood friend pairings.

I personally never saw any hint of Elincia crushing on Geoffrey, but there was dialogue in the localization that could be interpreted as a crush on Ike, of course. But I'm not surprised to see no mention of a crush on Ike in this book because it wasn't as blatant in the Japanese version.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm actually a bit surprised Elincia's profile doesn't mention her crushes on Ike and Geoffrey. I like that.

Also, what pretty artwork for her and Ike! I never expected Ragnell to be quite so big as that (I mean, in game, I don't think it was that size). It's impressive he can carry it one-handed, nevermind swing it. Ike is not very bulky in PoR, after all.

Good work on the translation!

There's a picture of BK holding Alondite from the ground up and it comes up about his ribcage, so considering the size of BK the twin swords are pretty huge! Not sure if there's a weight system in PoR, but in Radiant Dawn Alondite/Ragnell are tied with the Steel Poleaxe for the heaviest weapons in the RD.

Ike & Elincia (P. 56-57) (Ike as a hero and Elincia as a princess)

I was wondering if there is any meaning of Elincia holding her hand over her chest in her portraits? It always kinda bugged me, although it might just be to showcase her more demure character in PoR.

And although I haven't commented here in a while, I'm still happily following your great work, Kirokan. :)

I love that Lord Ike art so much I did something with it for my sig. lol. I really think his expression and holding that ginormous sword on his shoulder look like he's ready to destroy anything and saying bring it on. XD

Edited by Anacybele

Sorry, sorry, Lord Ike it is! I blame my recent playthrough of RD (I'm glad I didn't mess it up on his profile at least)...

I also started using "softening" effects and have been upping the saturation slightly to get higher quality pictures. However, some of the two-page profiles can't be helped, with that big ugly scan line between them :\

EDIT: Also, regarding Ragnell's size, aside from what was mentioned about Alondite, I recall this conversation from Smash Bros. Brawl and how impressed Snake was that he was wielding the two handed sword with one hand xD

I was wondering if there is any meaning of Elincia holding her hand over her chest in her portraits? It always kinda bugged me, although it might just be to showcase her more demure character in PoR.

And although I haven't commented here in a while, I'm still happily following your great work, Kirokan. :)

I think it is just to express that demure nature, yes. But I remember wondering the same thing way back when it came out xD

Glad to know there are still readers : ) We're nearing the end of the profiles, and thus the points of interest for this book will be complete.

Edited by Kirokan

Almost done, huh? Excellent job, you guys.

Also, as far as still having readers goes, I've just been silently following along, since I didn't have much to say before now. So I assume there have been plenty of others doing the same.

Edited by Soledai

Also, as far as still having readers goes, I've just been silently following along, since I didn't have much to say before now. So I assume there have been plenty of others doing the same.

Yeah, that's pretty much me. I appreciate the work and I love reading along, just don't have much to comment on. It's really made me feel like replaying PoR though! :P

Oh man, I didn't expect the Lord Ike with Ragnell art to be shown off.

For reference, there's an unused image in (I'm tempted to say) RD that shows this artwork alongside the BK.

Divine_weapons.png

(The text says "deleted" as in "this image has been scrapped".)

Presumably it was going to be used in a synopsis or flashback.

And yay Elincia! Awesome stuff! Glad to see nothing saying she actually loves Geoffrey and instead saying she treats both him and Lucia like real family. I knew it! Kind of relieved here since it helps my political marriage theory. Though Geoffrey's profile will probably say he loves her in THAT way.

I agree with annie, it feels forced, if only for the sake of living up to the cliché that any man/woman relationship "has" to be of romance.

I honestly don't care that much about Elincia's and Geoffrey's love life, but I'd still like to note that PoR has quite a few man/woman interactions that seem to set up as some kind of clichéd romance, but ultimately don't. We have Elincia and Ike (the princess and her knight), Boyd and Titania (the hot teacher), Mist and Rolf (the childhood friends), Mia and Rhys (energetic girl and silent guy) or Lethe and Ike (Tsundere²).

I'm note even starting with all the supports that don't even do that and that are just interactions between two people who happen to meet at camp, realize that they have something significant to say to each other and develop mutual respect and/or some kind of friendship over that. I really like that PoR doesn't try to force multiple romantic options on every character and chooses to go rather low-key with all the shipping business altogether and just puts in a few romantic sidestories that they find are the most interesting or plausible for the given characters.

Er, wouldn't Geoffrey and Elincia fit in the princess/knight category better? Ike and Elincia are of the common boy x princess/"forbidden" romance type. It's still kind of cliche, but as far as I've seen, it's not done quite as often as knight x princess and prince x princess and stuff like that. Disney's used it a few times though (Aladdin x Jasmine, Flynn/Eugene x Rapunzel, Kristoff x Anna) as well as the reverse (common girl x prince, like Belle x Adam, Tiana x Naveen, and more), and this is mainly why I always thought an Ike x Elincia love story would make an excellent Disney movie. I'm a sucker for that kind of story too. XD But of course, that'll never happen.

Really, Ping, you're right, but when you see as many as the ones you listed, it's just natural to assume that at least SOME of them would go somewhere. But none of them do. It's like IS was building up for a bunch of romance, only throw a big "SIKE!" in our faces. :(

This isn't a shipping thread, though, so moving on. xP

Oh man, I didn't expect the Lord Ike with Ragnell art to be shown off.

For reference, there's an unused image in (I'm tempted to say) RD that shows this artwork alongside the BK.

Divine_weapons.png

(The text says "deleted" as in "this image has been scrapped".)

Presumably it was going to be used in a synopsis or flashback.

Huh, Ragnell seems slightly bigger here. Like very slightly. But both are still huge.

They still put in some romances (or something resembling romance - Bastian and Lucia), but it's a relatively minor part of the supports, compared to FE7 and 8, and even neglectable compared to Awakening and Fates. ;)

Re: Princess and Knight: Looking at their social status, you're right. But it's Ike who spends most of the game fighting for Elincia's crown and protecting her honor (e.g. the scene with Sanaki and the senators). So Ike does what a knight is supposed to do, while Geoffrey honestly doesn't really do anything much at all.

Yeah, I guess it's me wishing that romance had been as big a thing in Tellius as it was in FE7 and FE8. I really liked that we had so many options for pairings there, and wished we gotten just as many in Tellius. It's one of the few things I thought GBA FE did better than Tellius.

Oh, that's what you meant. Well, I guess it does make some sense to say knight x princess for Ike and Elincia when you put it that way. But in RD, Geoffrey's kinda the one in charge of fighting for her and the crown when you take part 2 into account, I figured. Eh, I guess both fit the category pretty well. :P