Tellius Recollection (Vol 1) Translation / Discussion Thread

Either Tibarn and Naesala are really freaking tall, or Ike isn't all that tall (I had in mind 178-180cm). The two simply tower him. Tibarn's huge. Caineghis makes sense (he's even bigger than armoured Ashnard). I also didn't think Giffca was a little bigger.

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At first I wanted to write that Petrine's tiger heritage would fit her aggressive behaviour. But then I remembered that the playable tiger laguz in Tellius are Mordecai, Muarim and Kyza. Makes me wonder if tiger laguz are less bloodthirsty than cats and lions in general or if we just met all the exceptions to the rule.

Speaking of tigers - I'd like to see Mordecai's profile if it's no trouble. :]

Greil drinking isn't that much of a surprise to me. He suffered some serious tragedy, man. People often turn to things like drinking when something like that happens because they get majorly depressed and all.

I'd like to put in a request for my favorite Branded, Soren~

Petrine sure has got an interesting hobby...

Anyway, Petrine being from a Tiger Laguz comes as a surprise to me, since there is nothing in the gsme that hints to such a thing to my knowledge; plus, the fact that she uses a magic weapon instead of a physical weapon doesn't really help.

Also, if It's not a problem, may I request the character profile of both Stefan and Mordecai?

Updated main post with Stefan! Explicitly stating he's Soan's descendent, too!

Also noted tumble translations, will update later on. Mordecai requests noted too! Talent is probably better than special skill too. As is dislike rather than hate. Will see if I should go back and edit for consistency... Also hope no one minds the Japanese name being bigger than the English ones. Was wondering if I should swap them...

Also wonder if I should use their English quotes or keep translating their Japanese ones just in case of small differences that may pop up...

Edited by Kirokan

Yep! Still good to have it stated outright : ) at least Petrine and Stefan's profiles show there are some gems in the full profile descriptions, which can raise their priority for translating.

It's not your fault. His name was Soanvalcke in the Japanese version and his ending title was something along the lines of "Lion Descendant". Whereas in the English version, the connection is a lot more vague or non-existent.

Edited by VincentASM

It's not your fault. His name was Soanvalcke in the Japanese version and his ending title was something along the lines of "Lion Descendant". Whereas in the English version, the connection is a lot more vague or non-existent.

This is another main reason I kept his Japanese name larger, it would make less sense otherwise. xD

Stefan being a descendent of Soan doesn't come a surprise to me, but it's nice to have a confirmation.

Seeing this make me kind wish that they explain the lineage of Soan in the Volume about RD(even tough I know they won't).

Anyway, Thank you very much for the translation! I really appreciate it!

Just quick opinion, I was working on the format for profiles a bit, but please take a look at Stefan's page.

English name emphasis (this doesn't fully zoom, but you only need to see the top)

Japanese name emphasis

Basically, I figured most people are not actually as interested in the Japanese names (I am since I love seeing differences and all), so I switch them around, the English name getting the spotlight and Japanese name getting more of a subline (still there though! Since it's nice to have both, and in Stefan's case, it's needed to make sense of the Soan thing xD)

Obviously people will be able to tell who is who from the character picture, so it's a purely aesthetics question! Any input is highly appreciated.

Also changed Hates to Dislike on the profile, since I started with petrine, on who "hates" was more fitting. xD Likewise, special skill to "talent"

Wall of text incoming from profiles that are being translated over at tumblr

Elincia
Hobby: Embroidery
Talent: Humility/modesty
Most Important Thing: being together
Dislikes: War, discrimination
Lucia
Hobby: Studying politics
Talent: Anything she can put her dexterity to good use at
Most important thing: Keeping a calm and clear mind
Dislikes: Hardheaded dumbass generals
Ike
Hobby: Napping
Talent: Speed eating ( lol, what a glutton )
Most important thing: The mercenaries and his family ( yeah right... )
Dislikes: Fawning sycophantic people ( yeah, he'd hate fangirls in RL xD )
Soren
Hobby: Constantly advancing his studies
Talent: His strong memory
Most important thing: Ike ( hah )
Dislikes: Laguz and beorc
Ashnard:
Hobby: War
Talent: Cruelty
Most Important Thing: Formidable enemy
Likes: Risking life in battle ( and yet he clothes himself in invincible armour )
Dislikes: Stagnant peace
Ellie's polar opposite. Yep.
Zihark
Hobby: Polishing swords
Talent: Repairing swords
Most Important Thing: Memories of his love
Dislikes: Beorc who ostracize Laguz
Mia
Hobby: Dueling ( pretty much Lucia's polar opposite )
Talent: Discerning a good/virtuous person
Most Important Thing: Love for swords
Likes: Strong opponent ( yeah, you'd be best buds with Ashnard and BK... )
Dislikes: Selling yourself short
Even Mia is more interesting than Zihark.
Titania
Hobby: Mercenary troupe duties
Talent: Easy to befriend
Most Important Thing: Trust in her comrades
Dislikes: Dishonor/dishonesty
Edited by Luchino

Yeah, I figured that this little detail that Lethe didn't elaborate on when she explained the history of Laguz slavery to Jill was referencing the time where the roles between Beorc and Laguz were reversed that Nasir mentioned. Lethe acted like Beorc and Laguz had the perfect arrangement back then but if you paid close attention you could tell that her story was heavily influenced by her own bias.

Lethe: A human was named as the first king, although the Laguz’s superior strength led us to rule more often than not. Despite the harmony that most felt about this arrangement, the senators wanted nothing to do with it. In the name of the “apostle,” they claimed that only a human could be the true ruler of Begnion…and started a civil war.

People often act like the Laguz societies were treated as superior to the Beorc's but the subtext of Laguz philosophy putting Beorc at a disadvantage was there all the time.

Edited by BrightBow

Ike's hobby as napping? lolwut, I expected training or swordfighting or something along the lines of that. Napping should be Haar's hobby. :P And Oscar said in RD that Ike's favorite foods are ribs and steaks, not chicken... But on the other hand, all those Ike-eating-chicken jokes make more sense now. lol

Elincia likes embroidery tho? That's cool!

Greil

Hobby: Drinking

Talent: Axes

Most Important Thing: Family, comrades

Dislikes: Political obligations/ties

Man and I thought I liked Greil before now he's just flat out awesome! Freedom and drinking! 'Merica!

Oops, made a sloppy mistake.

The middle column in the bottom half of the page. One of the first few lines is supposed to read

Afterwards, an Apostle was born in Yoram’s family for three successive generations.

I've updated the image, but it might take a while to update because of the site's caching.

Hmm the picture hasn't updated for me yet, Vincent. Send me the new version via PM and I'll upload it to the post : )

I added Mist, Elena, and Greil's design pages to the post.

Also thanks for the profile text from tumblr above! Though there are some iffy translations there (and II think we could all really do without the added commentary in parenthesis...xD)

Maybe I ought to go through every single profile and just get that text out of the way, and get to the in-depth notes later... since some of those look a little off, such as Ike's:("Fawning sycophantic people" from 好き嫌いの激しい人間 is a little questionable...since I would translate that as "picky or judgmental people" which makes more sense for his character too...)

And the part about free range chicken, for instance, says 鳥(自由に生きてるから) which can also mean "Birds (because they live freely)", rather than "Chickens [to consume[ that live(d)freely"( though in Japanese 地鳥 is often used for that...)

So I wouldn't worry about that discrepancy Anacybele!

But it does mean we need to double check the translations we get from elsewhere...

Edited by Kirokan

Just quick opinion, I was working on the format for profiles a bit, but please take a look at Stefan's page.

English name emphasis (this doesn't fully zoom, but you only need to see the top)

Japanese name emphasis

Basically, I figured most people are not actually as interested in the Japanese names (I am since I love seeing differences and all), so I switch them around, the English name getting the spotlight and Japanese name getting more of a subline (still there though! Since it's nice to have both, and in Stefan's case, it's needed to make sense of the Soan thing xD)

Obviously people will be able to tell who is who from the character picture, so it's a purely aesthetics question! Any input is highly appreciated.

Also changed Hates to Dislike on the profile, since I started with petrine, on who "hates" was more fitting. xD Likewise, special skill to "talent"

Sorroy if I'm late but I personally prefer the emphasis on the japanese name more as, aside from very few characters, I don't know them and, like you, I also like to see how they differ from the western version.

Anyway, maybe I'm strange, but Mist, in the concept arts, looks really cute in her valkyria outfit.

Hmm the picture hasn't updated for me yet, Vincent. Send me the new version via PM and I'll upload it to the post : )

Haha, I think it can take up to 24 hours to update. It's really weird like that. It even happens if I delete the image from the site, it'll still be there for several hours.

Anyway, I sent it as a reply to your previous e-mail.

Woohoo, rare Elena pics!

Also, man, they put a lot of effort into Mist's Valkyrie costume. Or were they just really selective about what artworks to include in the book? Either way, I'm suspicious...

Edited by VincentASM

Haha, I think it can take up to 24 hours to update. It's really weird like that. It even happens if I delete the image from the site, it'll still be there for several hours.

Anyway, I sent it as a reply to your previous e-mail.

Woohoo, rare Elena pics!

Also, man, they put a lot of effort into Mist's Valkyrie costume. Or were they just really selective about what artworks to include in the book? Either way, I'm suspicious...

I'll keep an eye out for it!

Also do we need a list of how the Japanese names are written out in this book/romanized? Or was that already discovered long before the book came out? (I'm going through the profiles now and was wondering if I should add them).

Because I just love how Brom is "Chap." xD

Edited by Kirokan

Don't Ike and Soren have some equally detailed costume notes? I remember seeing Mist's before, and Soren's had a lot of notes on his hair. Main character priveleges, perhaps...

Edited by Samias