Angelcynn: The Myrcian Conflict - Act 3 (Angus' Party)

Shin

Alain moves to 5,12!

Alain attacks Ywein with Wind!
14 Atk, 87% Hit, 0% Crit
(19 27)
Ywein takes 14 damage! (26/40 HP remaining)

Alain gains 11 XP!
Alain gains 1 Tome WEXP!

"I'm getting dinner out this, right?"

Larissa moves to 4,12!

Larissa refreshes Alain!

Larissa gains 15 XP!

Alain attacks Ywein with Wind!
14 Atk, 87% Hit, 0% Crit
(19 27)
Ywein takes 14 damage! (12/40 HP remaining)

Alain gains 11 XP!
Alain gains 1 Tome WEXP!

Alain grows to level 11!
(53 13 29 12 68 48 43 54)
Magic up!
Luck up!

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Serge looked on as Alain went to attack the holy rider, Ywein, with Larissa not that far behind him. Even now, he felt like there was something he could do. Something that could end things between both sides peacefully. Something that could help him find the truth about what happened that day. But as he looked on, gusts of wind pelting and bombarding the wyvern that Ywein rode on, and by extension, Ywein, he knew that there was no other way to get past. And he knew that he was murdering the last true remains of a guild that he had looked up to for so long. A guild that he thought he had become a part of until recently. A guild that, he had also learned, had been destroyed almost completely by an unknown enemy.

He looked on, unable to move his legs, unable to properly hear everything that Angus had yelled at him, too focused, or perhaps unfocused, on what was transpiring in front of him, unblinking. He watched as the innocent leader of the real Reliants stood his ground, as he was being attacked simply because they would not move out of their way. But...they had attacked first, right? And besides, this was the kind of life Mercenaries were used to, right? Always prepared to die during a job, should the circumstances be unfavorable. That's how all mercenaries lived, right? ...Like many times after the day his parents had sent him off to Wyke, so that he could live a better life than anything anyone could find in his small village in Myrcia, he truly was unsure.

And as he thought of his parents once again, his mind wandered, thinking back to everything. This...This wasn't what he wanted. This was never what he wanted. All he ever wanted was to take a number of jobs, to get just enough money to get his parents out of the rotten, disease infested village that he had once called home. Just to see his family again. That's all. Yet, here he was, fighting to stop a war in a separate country while being told that he was working for the prince of the king that had murdered several messengers of peace. Here he was, in charge of several people's lives that, despite having talked to some of them extensively, he barely knew anything about. Here he was, standing like a frightened animal, staring out into space.

With Ywein and his cronies moving in, the group focused on the commander. After a barrage of magical attacks, Doug swooped in to finish him off.

"This one's for Niko!"

The rider twirled his lance above his head. He passed by Ywein, hoping to whack the commander's head with the lance.

Doug to (7,13), attack Ywein with Iron Lance

Doug moves to 7,13!

Doug attacks Ywein with his Iron Lance!
12 Atk, 61% Hit, 6% Crit
(68 43)
Doug misses!
Ywein strikes back with the Holy Diver!
17 Atk, 93% Hit, 3% Crit
(61 51)
Doug takes 17 damage! (12/29 HP remaining)

Doug gains 6 XP!
Doug gains 1 Lance WEXP!

"Engel looks favourably upon me for the moment. Doug, I cannot let Wyke aid Raewald's invasion of Deira."

Hans moves to 4,11!

Hans rescues Larissa!

"I'm not sure even I can hit this guy..."

Morganna moves to 5,12!

Morganna attacks Ywein with Thunder!
12 Atk, 54% Hit, 12% Crit
(58 87)
Morganna misses!

Morganna gains 5 XP!
Morganna gains 1 Tome WEXP!

Lars moves to 5,11!

Lars rescues Morganna!

"Boss, if that jerk tries to stab you, I'll jump in front of you. You're too important to die."

Emily moves to 5,12!

Emily attacks Ywein with Fire!
13 Atk, 62% Hit, 3% Crit
(81 20)
Emily misses!

Emily gains 5 XP!
Emilt gains 1 Tome WEXP!

Edited by Shin

[spoiler=Angus' misadventures never end]

Angus wanders the halls of that dread fort, not terribly inclined to sleep. His ferocious beast had finally been tamed, but there was another dangerous animal to be tended to! With no blasted clue what he intended to say, Angus finds what he believes to be the noble ladies' room, offering two very gentle raps. Hopefully, Cassandra would be awake even at this unholy hour.

---

Cass had been happily curled up against Adele's arm, having sleepily snuck into her bed while everyone slept. While she was happily asleep, it was a light sleep, all things considered, so when Angus rapped upon their door, she was startled awake. Her position on the bed meant that this startled motion made her slip off, rolling onto the floor, landing on her side with a quiet grunt.

A very, very tired and annoyed Cass appeared moments later at the door, nightgown wrinkled and unkempt, shoulder hanging out of the top of it. You'd never tell she was a Princess like this. And Angus was not what she wanted to be woken up for. "What is it?" she asked, as flatly as possible.

---

Angus' head turns fairly quickly on the Princess' exit, and his entire body with it. He finds himself leaning against the wall, looking pointedly at the ceiling. "Your, ah..." Angus pats his own shoulder. His face begins to burn--Engel above, how did he still not know how to talk to this woman? Instead of meeting Cassandra's eye, Angus continues studying the ceiling. Far easier, all told.

"So, uh... you jus' about got us both killed today. We should talk." He kicks off from the wall, looking almost back, before thinking better of it. "Walk with me?"

---

Cass didn't pick up on his gesture on account of being half awake, but his mention of what happened today sprung her out of it, at least a bit. She still didn't fix her top. "And what of it?" was her first question. "We're still alive... I learned my lesson. Did you?" She asked him, wondering if he was going to give a similar explanation to the Baleros situation.

"Walk... Walk and talk in the dead of night with Angus Kearney, alone, defenseless, half asleep, and in my knickers and blouse. Is this how you managed to sleep with the Valter sisters?" She scoffed, but smiled, proud of her ability to still mock him in a, hopefully, friendly manner. Alas, she stepped out of the room, and quietly closed the door, though probably to Angus' dismay. Her "knickers" weren't very long, and neither was the blouse.

---

Angus begins to open his mouth, but he's quickly cut off by Cass' teasing accusation. That whole situation was... compromising put it kindly. The poor boy keeps his back turned, unable to make a sound, instead just shaking his head. He turns back to his Princess, mentally cursing her stature before finally getting a word out.

"Well, ah... Morta, at least." Angus continues to look past the tired girl, though at least he manages to face her. "Well... we had a bit of an arrangement, tha' I never saw th'oldest there, but you should... prob'ly know." His eyes dart left, right, down, up, looking for an escape, finding none. "Went over, jus' a decent visit, check up after that night at th'bar. Morta's playin' somethin', loses her shit. I clean that up, righ'? Now Decima plants one on me, an' I tell 'er we'll talk about that, but Morta's a terror there, an' she asks me t'bring Geoffrey up in a few. I'm thinkin' I can get outta tha' jus' fine, then Nona offers me a drink, righ'?" Losing himself in the thread of his tale, Angus finally meets Cass' eye, slapping one hand across another. "Out cold. No clue wha' it was. Wake up in Morta's bed, but not all up on 'er. Geoffrey gets into the pies, she an' I fetch th'rascal, and then... well, no need for th'details." It wasn't quite like spinning a thread for the boys, unfortunately. Some things were better left unsaid.

"Next mornin', I wake up t'this screamin' little man, their pa, none of 'em seem fazed, but Nona says I was in bed with 'er! Ol' fart passes out, an' I'm gone soon after. Haven' talked t' one of 'em since, but they're strong enough, noble, an' cooped up like chickens, so I had 'em come along." The mooncalf shakes his head at his own antics, recognizing what a mess he was so precariously near.

"So, uh... yeah, jus' about like this."

---

Cass listened, quietly, surprisingly, to his tale. She didn't believe for a moment that he simply 'fell asleep' with Morta. Boys. She rolled her eyes of the whole thing. It was compromising, to be sure, if she were hammered on the subject, especially by Valter himself... That said--

"Why can't you just be proud of who you've slept with, Angus?" she asked, meeting his awkward stare with a rather complacent one from herself. "I realize I was upset on the boat, but that was then, and this is now. I have calmed down, and I apologize for my nature. I was under a lot of stress... I still am, but I've had a moment with my lover, and am back in full form." She took some steps ahead of him, glancing back at him over her shoulder.

"So, which one is your favorite, then? Morta? Does she remind you of me? Aha~ What about Nona? Though, as rude as you are, I do find you chivalrous enough to not bed a drunk woman. You can manage that much, Angus Kearney... What about Decima then, the most prim and proper sister? Is she your type? Not that as I would figure... No, I really would paint you as the one for Morta, yes. Our likeness aside, from your story-- though really, the angry, small, violent noblewoman? You do have issues, don't you --that aside, I suppose you could do worse."

"Was that all?" she finally asked, turning to face him. "You said I almost got us killed, yet here we are, so shall we gossip about your sex life instead?"

---

Angus groans softly in distress--Cassandra's ribbing was simply too much! He taps the walls of the fort gently with his fist, focusing on the impact, the texture. When she finally turns to the hapless baron, he starts, scraping his knuckles against the wall. A massive swallow, literal and metaphorical, precedes his answer.

"I'd guess, ah... Morta. Their dowries are far outta reach, Nona's smashed all day, an' I think Decima's not too happy 'bout bein'... left out. At least I know Morta's good for a roll." He hits the wall again,this time with aimless emphasis. [Dammit, I came down here for a reason, an' it was... shit, can't think, c'mon man--THE TWINS.] The knight actually takes a step toward Cassandra, a concerned frown on his face.

"I've told you my bit, now please, do th'same. Why? By Engel's beard, what did you hope t'do?" Angus blinks, and just like that, he feels any pressure he can apply begin to ebb. "Y'know... today. Chargin' in when I had it locked down."

---

"Tsk." Cass had hoped she had pushed the baron far enough to not want to go back to his initial topic, but it would seem that he was too determined to not bring it up. "Do you ever really have it locked down, Angus?"

At least she had guessed right with Morta, though she doubted his reasons of 'good for a roll' being all he saw in her. Alas, this was going to be talked about sooner or later. She sighed, and took a moment to gather an answer.

"Because I am scared, Angus. I am scared, powerless, and asked to watch as my best friend continues to put himself in situations that could end his life with a single misstep. Do you still not realize this?" that question wasn't as rhetorical as her first.

"I do not wish to hear another pratle about you being replaceable; you are not, and it's about time you started acting it... I have learned it, by now. I know I am not. If I required any further convincing, I received it today, along with the harsh lesson of just how powerless I truly am."

She turned to face him, fully, concern the only emotion on her face. "When will you give me reason to believe that you are safe when you conduct these plans? You can tell me you are safe until you are blue in the face, but you continue to tell me you are simply like wheat stock; replaced easily should we require more. What do I do on the day you aren't safe? How do I deal with that? Do I sit back and watch you die, hire a new knight, and continue life as normal!?"

She was becoming visibly upset at this point, her telltale tears starting to fall down her face. Instead of succumb to them, she wiped her eyes, biting her lip. "I am sorry, Angus... But i have been thinking about this a lot. Perhaps too much, ever since my fight with that woman. I am too weak..."

---

Angus listens halfheartedly for a moment, knowing that Cassandra's own "prattle" would not cover much new ground. [i'm bigger'n this], he says to himself. [Even if she cries, I'll hold my ground], he thinks.

Oh, how wrong he is.

Two bulky arms swiftly encompass the Princess' head, pressing it into Angus' chest. For a moment, he doesn't speak. His hope of putting these fears to bed comes slowly, with a dull tongue, like cutting butter with a feather. "I have a horse", the knight offers in a whisper. "I've all of you. An' I've got somethin' else... somethin' you should know." A step back allows their eyes to meet again. "There was a man named Copperbottom, I knew 'im only a short time, a shady man 'e was. Bit of a codger, too, yet we took on well. He was slower'n me. Weaker. Holdin' a knife t'my axe. Yet I never once touched 'im." Angus stared intently, punctuating his story. "An' when I asked 'im why, he said 'e saw my desire. If you can see a man's soul, 'e says, you can rip his heart out."

"I've all that," the baron continues, for once knowing full well the course his tongue would take. [so I won' die], he thinks. But... again, his tongue denies him. Apellon's wound still twinged with every movement of his arm. [i could.] All this, in the span of the briefest pause.

"an' even with it, I could die, at any time." Angus bites the inside of his cheek, telegraphing his own discomfort with presenting her the idea. His eye finally begins to shy away. "I thought, for a few days, after beatin' Baleros... that I might've been th'strongest man in Wyke. I'm not even close, Cass. That day'll come. Could be tomorrow, for all we know. When it does..." His eyes drill into Cass, one last time. Not as fire, but as iron, yet apologetic. "Don' be afraid. You jus' told me what you'll do."

---

Part of her wished to scream, that small part that was still scared, unable to trust even Angus in his surprise hug. She held it back, but she did freeze up, for a moment, finally weakly pushing at him to let go of her, a tiny growl escaping her lips. She let it die out as he spoke. Agro isn't enough, she mouthed, sometimes we aren't, either, she mouthed again, not bringing a voice to these worries. She made her motions scarce as he pushed her back to stare at him, finding it hard to meet his gaze... When had he stopped being an awkward boy? When did Angus become Baron Kearney? It made her blush, finally staring up at him-- up at him, he was tall, too. Curses.

"I can see your soul. Does that mean that even I, weak as I am, I could grab this still beating heart," she punctuated with a hand pressed against his chest, not softly, but not meant to hurt, gently pushing against his left side, "and tear it out? And if I can manage that..." Angus' own pause causes her to stop, Cass paying attention to every moment this time, because she wanted something, some little tick she could pick on, something to fuel her own--

He started talking again. He pick his cheek and looked away. She frowned, and she bit her own lip, pulling away from his hug. It wasn't soft, either. Neither was her reaction.

She slapped him, but it wasn't harsh, nor violent-- it was childish, barely hard, Cassandra's pretty face donning another scowl; more emotions not fit for it. "Do not mock me," she whispered, trying to shake off the ugly look, starting the floor in a staring contest, "as if I would be able to..." Don't cry again, you've done that enough for a lifetime, no one else needs more of your tears, Cassandra! PLEASE!

Try as she might... She could not stop them.

---

Angus stares softly down at his broken friend. Her slap didn't hurt, but her tears did. They always did. He sighs, considering for a moment. [Why are you actin' this way? I was movin' away, I was never gonna... she don't know I was lyin', holy hell.] He crouches, the better to look into her eye. "Cass... I'm lookin' out for my own hide too, now. There's only one Angus Kearney, righ'?" The titular mooncalf offers a bittersweet smile. "What I did today, y'know that was t'not fight those two? I knew I couldn' take 'em, so I'd let the others do it. You wanted me t'keep my arse out of the fire, eh?" Angus reaches up, a hand on Cass' face. "I can take an order, Princess. You jus' have t'let me."

---

Cass was fully expecting a rebuttal from Angus, some childish excuse to throw his life away onto the front lines. He always did. It was the thing he was best at. Some excuse; I'm replaceable; I have to; you're more important-- she hated that one the most. But he...

"Only... One?" His response threw her off so much that she hadn't even considered it, hearing what she'd wanted to hear for months now. Her face contorted into a grimace, but then to a smile, still scowling, tears streaming faster, trying to control herself as she sobbed and threw herself at him and hugged him tightly, breaking down into a happy stream of crying against his chest.

"Whyyyyy... Why did i-it take you so long, hic... Why, Angus..." was all she could muster, burying herself deeper as she let go of every worry she'd held for him over the past month, the relief hitting her and her emotions like a wave, crashing down and finally settling as the impact died out.

---

Adeltrudis shivered lightly in her bed, blankets disheveled from Cassandra's departure, the door, left ajar, producing an unwelcome draft. The coast of Magonsaete was cold, unlike the inland areas of Wyke, and the stone fortress was far from air tight. A few moments in the cold was all it took to bring Adeltrudis' eyes to gently open, sitting up and lazily inspecting the room around her. Charlotte lay undisturbed in her bed, but Cassandra was nowhere to be seen, door left open in her wake.

'She didn't scream or make a fuss, I would have awoken if she had... went to get some water or a mid-night's snack perhaps? Maybe I should check on her...' Adele considered for a moment, before standing and stretching, shivering once again. Her blasted nightclothes were too thin for such conditions, but Cassandra had insisted she wear them and not lay in a thicker shirt and pants. Shaking her head, she stepped away from her place of rest, wandering down the hallways, following the sound of voices. One of them was most definitely Cassandra, the other... Kearney? What reason might they have to consort at this time of night? She supposed she'd find out soon enough, turning another corner just in time to see a crying Cassandra flinging herself into the Baron's arms, burying her face in his chest. Huh.

"You know, for how you insisted your betrothal was false and that I needn't worry over it, your actions certainly don't fill me with confidence in it."

---

Angus receives Cassandra's tackle with surprise, but is far from displeased. His mouth opens, but he has nothing queued. It was better that way. Instead, his head rests on hers, his eyes shut. Only time for a breath before Adele speaks.

The baron flinches, immediately meeting Adele's eye. Then Cassandra's. Then Adele's again. [This really could not look much worse, could it?] His head tosses backwards, carrying him into a roll that ends with him standing, if barely. This time allows Angus to scrape his brain for what double-talk he picked up from court... and that scrape yields not a damn thing. A different memory comes to mind: that of waking to Earl Valter's outrage.

"Urrr... sounds like a personal problem?", the accused postulates weakly. "We were, ah... well, I'm clothed, at least." Angus looks to Cass, flashing a shit-eating grin that even he couldn't believe. "I've got enough lady troubles without one more tryin' to kill me outright, eh?"

---

"A-Adele!?" Cass squeaked in sobbed surprised, as she pushed herself away from Angus, immediately wiping her tears. "N-No, it's not like that, we were just..." Alas, Angus spoke first and stirred up the kettle, going as far as to mock Cass' nightwear! How rude! She huffed, but was unable to hide her smile.

This was what she'd missed.

Just mindless banter with the people she cared about. Not having to worry about their lives on the field of battle, not having to put up with councils and marriages and rules-- just laughing. So she did, a little bit, not willing to muster anger towards Angus' poking of her attire.

"We had a talk, and it ended well, Adele. That's all it was. How am I to be trusted if I cannot hug my best friend after he says he won't toss himself onto ever blade swung out way?" Cass punches Angus' arm, lightly, smiling down at Adele. It is nice to see you so worried though, I must say...

"Yes, Angus Kearney, you did mention those girl troubles. I hope they haven't been compounded with our current coverup. I can't imagine the ones you did end up sleeping with took it well." This was the perfect time to drag Angus back to that subject.

---

Angus buries his face in one hand, dragging it down his face--this again?! It was only fair, though, after the anguish Cass went through tonight.

"Yyyyyeah. I'll be honest with 'em after we gut Mr. E; let's hope I live through that one, eh~?" One more objection soon comes to mind.

"...an' I only slept with one of 'em!" His indignation is far from serious, though; evidently Cass thought he should be proud of philandering about? Even after all this time, Angus could still hardly understand her.

---

"A personal problem, huh? I'd think not. Honestly Cassandra, you hurt me. For one, I thought that I was your best friend all this time, I'm left aghast with the gravity of your betrayal." Adele began, her face appearing quite serious... at least to begin with.

"If you are to spit on my honour at least have the courtesy to not take my dignity with it next time... have your tryst with the bear or a wild raccoon, anything but the mooncalf, lest Engel above weep for me." Adele continued, finally cracking a small grin as she finished, stepping towards Cassandra and giving the Princess a light tug, gently hugging her back as she pulled the girl over.

"And I should hope you remain clothed. I've no reason to fillet you then. As for you though, what am I to think, with you embracing the man as though he were your lover, whilst in nothing but your skivvies?" Adele asked, giving Cassandra a lazy smack to the rear as she spoke.

---

"I've a feeling that telling them won't be as explosive as anything we're going to experience here. Don't worry about surviving that one. Expert mages and the dead disappearing should be much higher up on anyone's worry list." She idly chided Angus without a serious tone in her speech, chuckling at the mention of just one. "Well, just one, for now. I'm sure you'll make quick work of that; from what you said, they were all interested in battling the baron."

Adele's reaction left Cass stunned for but a moment, before the smile brought her true intentions. Cass went back to relaxed, still a bit too scared to stomach some of this, yet enjoying almost every moment of the levity. She didn't hesitate to give Adele her hug and stand there with the heiress' arm slid round her. "Come now, even in jest, Angus is surely better than a wild animal. Look, he even bathes now! I've half a mind to call him presentable, if I were cornered for an opinion." Cass laughed again, leaning against Adele and smiling at Angus. This felt really nice...

Until Adele started to feel her up, the blush spreading like wildfire on her face, hopping away from her a few steps. "Well! Perhaps I know who the real animal is! How rude, in front of him." Cass faked a pout and stuck her tongue out, huffing quietly, the smile still clung to the sides of her lips. "It was a spur of the moment action, purely emotional~ Though I do not regret it-- and besides, you seem to quite like it when I wear these to bed. It's not skivvies if I am covered, anyway~" She was still wearing her underwear, bra included, and the nightie wasn't sheer enough to see through, in the pale light shining through the open windows. Really, it was just fine~

---

Angus slouches against the wall with a grin of his own--Adele's arrival was surprisingly enjoyable, but he'd sooner call a wade through Agro's leavings "comfortable".

"You're one t'talk of dignity, Adeltrudis", the third wheel snarks. "You're far from decent, eh? Your brother, he'd be ashamed, wouldn' you think?" He looks up at the ceiling, remembering the abruptness of Graham's departure. "Did your old man--did he groom you t'run the place, when 'e passed, or was it just your brother? D'you think you could, either way?" The ill-fated baron wouldn't consider himself prepared for Cassandra's affair, but that was even more true for his newfound holdings. Perhaps Adele had some answers for him.

---

"If we are to delve so far into animal husbandry, I thought it best to mark my territory, as they tend to." Adeltrudis replied to Cassandra's outburst with a smirk, sticking her tongue out teasingly at the Princess before continuing her response to both Cassandra, and Angus as well as he chimed in.

"I suppose I like them well enough when you wear them to my bed, but that is an entire other thing from the visitations of a young man, don't you think? And as for you Baron Kearney, I fail to see what is so indecent about my current attire. It is both long and high-cut enough to more than adequately cover me. If you've musings about what lies underneath, is that not a fault of your own?" Adele chided, about to give a light chuckle, though Angus appeared to grow serious for the moment, so she kept that bit down.

"Only since Teddy passed did he begin to. Graham was always far too single-minded. It made great prospect for him as a knight, but as a Lord, he would be... inadequate. I've still many things to learn yet, but... forced into the position, with the support of my father's pre-existing... extensive support network, I am confident I could manage long enough to see myself begin to prosper in such a role." Adeltrudis replied, letting out a sigh as she finished speaking.

"Not that I would wish for such a thing. Even in years time, I don't know if I could ever truly be... prepared for such a thing. Though I suppose without experience, no one truly can be to start."

---

Cass was surprised the conversation had taken such a serious political turn, or at least towards leading, but Cass could only think of one thing to add to what was being talked about right now. "Are you worried about what to do with your new station, Angus?"

---

Angus shrugs. "Worried? Not so much; in a pinch, I've got a helluva lot o'strings t'pull for someone who has t'get dragged to court. Still, I poked my head in, an', well..." the baron recalls his meeting with Mardo--not tactfully handled, that was for certain. "I ripped a fellow's door off and might've killed 'is grandson, and that wasn't th'worst of it. Now I'm in charge of th'diplomat and those new Reliants; only one I'm sure I can lean on is Doug, an' he's..." [Far be it from me to speak poorly of the man, but I still wonder if he's hittin' the flask when the rest of us aren't lookin'.] "... odd. I can't be th'only knight who slept through half 'is classwork, but now I've gotta know all o'that. Soon, prob'ly."

He grins, staring pensively up at the ceiling. "Got a lotta work on my hands is all."

---

"Sounds like you're just getting into the same... adventures as always." Adele replied with a light smile, as the baron recounted his mishaps.

"I'm sure you'll pull through, Kearney. You always seem to, despite all odds."

---

"Sounds like you've got a fair bit of work on your hands... And what's this about killing someone's grandson? Breaking doors is quite like you, but murdering the-- well, maybe they weren't innocent, I won't make assumptions." Cass decided it best not to pry into that one, knowing that whatever answer she got from him, unless he's killed some noble's bandit turned son, she would regret hearing it.

"Doug is weird, yes... But he is a dependable man. Just don't step on that Serge's toes. He's taken the loss of Niko, well... A few planks have come undone, if you will." Cass figured Serge for an awkward man ever since she'd met him, but not for an unstable one... And she didn't quite know what to do about it.

"Adele is right, though. You'll succeed-- or die trying. But, ehm, d-don't do that last bit. Seriously. I'll bring you back and chastise you if you somehow manage to collapse." Cass gave him a rather stern finger wagging, sighing.

---

Angus starts for a second--did she really think he'd do that? "It's not like that. He was... one o'Dettard's boys. Far as I can tell, all of 'em were there. Wasn' quite dumb enough t'mention that it wasn't bandits, though."

He turns away, offering a wave to the girls. "It's been a long one. We all should be sleepin'.

---

Angus growls with unease. Doug, those two mages, neither could land a blow on Ywein. Serge was isolated; he couldn't get around the thief in time. A tear wells from the young knight's face; he feels true fear, knowing that he would face tragedy in moments.

[Can't be afraid of killin' him. He's strayed. He forced my hand.]

The thud of hooves crashes across the dry dirt.

[Dyin', neither. Nobody lives forever. Th'rest will pull through, somehow.]

The foes seem to part before Angus, Engel's apparent champion looming above.

[i know what this man is. Curse my knowin', but it's all I need.]

With a desperate howl, Angus meets the foe. In the barest moment, the sins of one of these men would be judged.

Angus to (7,11), attack Ywein with Iron Axe

Edited by Terrador

Ywein looked at Angus, his hand trembling. He'd given the horseman so many chances to leave with his life, did he really believe in his cause that much? One of them was likely to fall, and it wasn't exactly clear who it'd be.

"Some light can never be seen, my friend. I pray that it will be alright, which ever of us remains standing."

Angus moves to 7,11!

Angus attacks Ywein with his Iron Axe!
13 Atk, 70% Hit, 2% Crit, lol Charge
(38 55)
Angus goes in for the kill!
(63)
Angus slays Ywein!

Angus gains 56 XP!
Angus gains 2 Axe WEXP!

Angus' axe cleaved into Ywein's wyvern, striking it right into the neck. The beast let out a roar of pain, ascending higher as blood spurted from the wound. Within seconds it had reached several dozen feet in the air, flailing wildly. Unfortunately, its death would take its master down with it. Letting out a final screech, the wyvern threw off its master, sending him plummeting to the ground.

Ywein shouted out in pain, a vicious crack sounding as his pelvis hit the ground, no doubt shattering into pieces. "Flee, my Reliants! My death should not be yours! This link in the chain has been broken... gotta get away... get away..." he yelled, the man writhing in pain.

The members of Serge's reliants watched as the remain forces started to flee, looking at their commander for any instructions.

Chapter 6C complete!
Defeated Ywein

[spoiler=BEXP]
Angus gains 35 BEXP!

Angus grows to level 11!
(91 11 49 34 51 65 5 57)
Strength up!
Skill up!
Defense up!

Doug gains 15 BEXP!

Serge gains 55 BEXP!

Serge grows to level 10!
(3 2 82 98 49 99 20 59)
HP up!
Strength up!
Speed up!
Defense up!

Alain gains 20 BEXP!
Larissa gains 30 BEXP!

Hans gains 30 BEXP!

Hans grows to level 7!
(57 91 29 79 53 66 75 48)
HP up!
Speed up!

Lars gains 30 BEXP!

Lars grows to level 7!
(6 0 57 22 2 79 17 26)
HP up1
Strength up!
Skill up!
Speed up!
Defense up!
Resistance up!

Emily gains 30 BEXP!
Morganna gains 30 BEXP!

Edited by Shin

Serge finally blinked. It was over. They had won. He watched as the remaining wyverns began to retreat, and, not wanting any more trouble, he shook his head. "Let them go. We're not here to kill them." He clutched the emblem he held tightly as he walked over to the horse riding mooncalf.

"Hey," He began, taking a deep breath. "You...did good. Thank you. And...I'm sorry about what I said." To say that Serge now trusted Angus completely would be lying, but without his help, everyone would have most likely died, or at the very least been injured greatly. So for the time being, Serge gained some respect towards Angus. At the very least, saying his apology out loud made his chest feel a bit better, but right now, he wasn't sure what to think.

Angus stares on in shock as Ywein plummets alongside his steed. The crack could not be mistaken--something very large was broken. His men's departure only made that clearer; no attempt was even made to retrieve their leader. Instead, the poor man writhed on the ground; the boy Kearney had seen no few livestock in this state. He remembered how he would tut gently at them, even as he slit the poor beasts' throats. The thought of doing that to a man? A believer? Angus could hardly stomach it.

Two voices were in his ear, but Angus could hear only the dispassionate musings of his eyes. [He's like an animal now], they whispered to him. [it would be better if he died before he even landed.] Angus couldn't deny either of these things. What was left of a worthy man struggled on the ground, beyond the help of any healing on the earth.

"Care for your fellow follower, as if he were a brother." The knight's whisper was barely audible; perhaps even Serge did not hear it. Louder, this time, Ywein is addressed. "...f-few minutes. It'll be... over then. M-make peace." Angus voice breaks, unable to stem the tide of emotion. He looks away, anything to escape the haunting image before him: Serge stood there. Now, of all times, the last commander of the Reliants appeared calm. With only the barest clues what Serge had said, Angus addressed him.

"Ah... S-Serge. Thanks. Could you... ah... th'castle? N-no more fightin'. Jus'... ask for Haddock." Still, Angus' voice couldn't obey him. He quickly crashes to the ground, scooping up his pet. To look would be unbearable. To listen was to share in the agony. Perhaps Ywein spoke. Perhaps not. The seconds heap stones onto Angus' hands, pour sand into his arms. He buries his face in Geoffrey's fur for moment after moment, until that dread time came. When one must call on his resolve in that moment, or risk not acting at all.

Angus stands, slowly, a Herculean task. Taking up his axe was yet a greater one. Every step counts down Ywein's final moments. The victor stands over the conquered, the world empty but for the two. Beginning to weep openly, Angus lifts his weapon, an edifice towering into the air. A blind howl, a crashing blow. Silence. Angus opens his eyes.

Ywein blinks back at him.

Edited by Terrador

The gusto with which he acted upon just moments ago dissipated like the morning fog, revealing a bloodied landscape. Alain fought back the urge to retch. Listening to Ywein's anguished cries was painful enough, but the quiet thereafter was haunting. In his heart of hearts, he hoped Engel would show the fallen commander mercy, though he dared not pray openly. He turned away from the gruesome scene, pulling his cowl up. It seemed appropriate to leave Angus for a time. "Serge, the captain," he said, turning towards the castle. All this, for one man.

The vision never dies

Ywein gasped for breath, looking up at Angus, his valiant foe... but also his executioner. He knew his time had come, but the man seemed to have come to terms with his defeat. Giving a pained smile, he looked up at the sky. "I've made my... peace. My Reliants shall live on... even if it's without me. You can hide... in the sun... 'till you see the light. Something... is coming for you."

His words were interrupted by a wet chop from Angus axe, the rider gargling on the floor as the weapon crashed into his neck. There were a few seconds where Ywein still seemed to have life, his eyes fading as he weakly watched Angus. Angus could see the very moment where the flame that was his life was extinguished. Ywein lay there dead, having been put down by Angus. He would have appeared rather tranquil, if it had not been for the gaping wound at his throat.

The Reliants watched speechless, unable to respond to the act. Hans looked over at his brother, who shook his head. Neither of them seemed to want to interrupt, whatever words they had could wait until the moment had passed.

-

Man on the Silver Mountain

The keep wasn't too far away, the stone structure was just as crude as the one they'd faced on the beach. Corpses of bandits lay all around it, Ywein's group had most likely removed them before Angus' party had even arrived. There were at least three dozen bodies, if not more. All that was left was a lone guard at the castle's gate, he was far less imposing without an army of men backing him. He'd definitely noticed the group, but he was stood on the spot... barely even moving. His helmet tilted every couple of seconds, watching Alain's approach nervously. With his entire force dead, the odds were he knew his chances were slim.

Laying in wait at the front of the disparaged keep was a lone guard. It was rather curious that the man had decided to keep his post, considering the bodies that were scattered around him. Alain approached the man with a degree of caution, making sure to keep ample distance. The last thing he wanted was to get caught unawares. "I'm told Captain Haddock is being kept here. Bring him to me," Alain commanded, his voice level but firm. He hoped the captain had been left unharmed, else this entire venture would have been for naught. Such a thought did not sit well with him.

The feeling of weight within his chest returned as quickly as it had departed as he watched Angus execute the fallen foe. With one clean swipe from his axe, Ywein had been silenced permanently. Nothing about this felt right. He wasn't some bandit looking for trouble, this was a holy man, a mercenary trying to make an honest living just like him. A surviving Reliant from the massacre. And now he was dead. Serge looked up from the dead, headless, bloodied body on the ground and back to Angus. No matter how merciful that was supposed to be, he could not help but feel it...cold. As much as Serge did not want to admit it, he was not used to the cruelties of battle like he was to that of a harsh living. Not as much as Angus. And Angus had struggled to keep his composure when speaking to him.

The silence had been broken by Alain, speaking to Serge and snapping him out of whatever trance he was beginning to enter, bringing up the fact that there was still the knight in front of the castle to deal with. But with Serge now aware of his surroundings, he could not help but notice an unfamiliar man standing across a river. "...Hans. Lars. Go up to the castle with Alain. Do not attack anyone unless Alain says so. Emily, Larissa, you two come with me. We're going to find out what that man wants. Morganna, I need you on lookout in case any more wyverns come to mess with us." With that, Serge began heading down the mountain, curious to see who this person was.

Despite his wounds, Doug managed to stay in the air. After his charge, he looked back to see that Ywein had been taken care of, courtesy of Angus. A quick look around showed that their enemy was retreating. Doug didn't exactly relish killing members of his former employer (if that's what they were), but Ywein was talking crap about Niko. Maybe he didn't deserve to die for it, but engaging them in battle, taking down Ywein's men, that was all on Ywein. So Doug wasn't feeling sympathetic as Angus put Ywein out of his misery.

Instead, Doug flew off to the castle, where Alain confronted the castle guard. Hopefully, this guy would be smart enough to step aside. Just in case, Doug joined Alain to show that he was outnumbered. ...Unless there were more guards inside...

"So what's your plan if a bazillion guards pour out of this castle?" Doug whispered to Alain.

It wasn't a rock...

The armoured man jumped, his suit clinking and clattering. "Don't attack! I ain't with the flying guys! If the boat guy's yours, you can have him back! We didn't hurt him or nothing!" he panicked, his voice far more youthful than his exterior. "He just crashed his boat into the rocks here, we made sure him and his crew got out safe! Nasty waters down here, nearly as bad as with the clan down south. I swear they just shoot everything they see."

Dropping his axe, he walked towards Alain and Doug with his hands up. Hans and Lars had joined the duo, following their boss' orders. "Good to hear the captain's still alive." Lars sighed, sizing up the knight ahead of him. "That bucket's a little big on him, just watch how he walks." He did raise a valid point, it didn't appear that he was particularly adept at walking in armour, it was more of a shuffle than anything else.

--

A familiar face

Larissa and Emily followed obediently after their leader, moving closer to the river. Larissa looked back at Angus and Ywein, still uneasy about the battle that had taken place. "Did we do the right thing?" Larissa asked, crossing her arms cautiously. "He didn't seem like a bad guy, he said something about us helping Raewald invade Deira... I thought the opposite was going to happen?"

Emily shook her head, walking forward proudly. "You can't think about it that way. If he wasn't one of the bad guys, he wouldn't have tried to mess with the boss. Our commander is a champion of justice, a hero of the people. He just didn't want to listen." The two women felt rather differently about the matter, but that wouldn't prepare Serge for what he was about to face.

"Hello there, Serge. Are you well? I do wonder how Angus is faring."

Across the river, on top of a small mound sat Apellon, the man that he had slain the day before. There wasn't a scratch on him, his pasty and sickly face was as lively as ever... or at least no worse than it had been. His hand rose to his abdomen, tapping his fingers along where Serge had impaled him. Letting out a twisted laugh, he looked down at Serge.

"I remember your interruption well. Angus had promised a wonderful little duel with me... but he decided that he'd give himself a little help. So sporting, isn't he?"

Edited by Shin

"A champion of justice...I'm honestly not sure justice was what happened back there..." Serge mumbled to himself as he walked. He'd have to speak to the crew about this later, but right now the mysterious man...came...first...

"I should have known it'd be you." He halted Larissa and Emily with his arm. Seeing Apellon alive was enough to make the feeling of weight in his chest grow twice it's size. He was there. Alive. Right in front of him. And dangerous. And he had just brought some of the least durable people he knew to greet him. "...How do you know my name? And furthermore how are you alive?" He couldn't help but breathe heavily as he spoke, finding it hard to catch his breath. They weren't prepared...They weren't prepared! He could feel his pulse rising rapidly.

"If the number happens to be a bazillion, clinging onto your pegasus while you facilitate our speedy departure is about the best plan I can come up with," Alain whispered back. Fortunately, it seemed such a plan would be unnecessary for the time being. Nobody came rushing out from inside, and the guard had thrown down his weapon. "Be at ease," Alain said, trying to calm the guard down, "as long as our captain is safe and you don't try anything, we wont harm you."

"Tell me your name. And these men that attacked you, what business did they have with you all?" It was hard to imagine a mercenary company from Deira aimlessly strolling through Magonsaete. Ywein didn't seem like he was expecting us, so he had to have had some other goal here. Perhaps one of his was captured here as well? He turned to Doug and the twins, "Should we go inside? I'd very much like to take a look around but..." Walking into an ambush as Doug has alluded to, with only a fraction of their forces, didn't seem particularly intelligent.

Edited by Vestige

Round Two

Apellon slowly rose to his feet, holding a strange glowing sword. Its jagged edges flashed and crackled, sparks gently dancing around the blade itself. Step by step, he moved closer to the edge of the river, narrowing the gap between Serge and his Reliants. "Maybe it was a lucky guess, maybe a little bird told me... either would do, a name is but a label to present oneself to the world." Apellon replied, stopping at the water's edge.

"Death is a subjective term, everyone has their own definition of it. My dearest sister knows it too well, she's still unhappy of your interruptions." he continued, pointing his sword at the ground. "Tell me, Serge. Do you know the pain of having the life of someone you care for deeply erased like a drawing in the sand? Plucked from your grasping fingers... I don't think you do at all."

Emily looked rather baffled, as if she were struggling to follow his words. "I think someone's escaped from the Asylum, I don't like his big words." she muttered, readying her tome - even she knew how tense the atmosphere was.

-

White Flag Castle

"The entire crew are inside! Third door on the left, the key's on the wall, guv'nr." he replied quickly. "I don't know what the flying guys wanted with us, they flew overhead and then started attacking. They got almost everyone, sir. I only survived because I was on guard duty. He did mention something about spotting a wizard... but that's all I heard, I swear! My name's Gavin, we don't got no fancy other names around these parts."

Hans was perhaps a little more suspicious than his brother, it seemed too easy to just walk in and unlock the cell. "Not doing a great job at guard duty on the outside, there's got to be more than one way out of that pile of bricks." he pitched in, not so keen to stroll in just yet.

His eyes widened as Apellon spoke his last word, and Serge quickly drew his sword in response, holding it with both his hands in front of him. It seems Serge had made a terrible mistake. He recognized the sword that Apellon wielded; a sword specifically designed to attack from a range with spells of thunder and lightning. And surrounded by water...This was dangerous. "...No...No I don't that feeling..." He wanted to say something confident, something to inspire some sort of boost in morale before he clashed blades with this lunatic, but instead that's what came out. He felt a bead of sweat roll down his face. Everything was going to shit real quickly, and he knew that this was most likely his final moments. Was this punishment? Was this some divine intervention telling Serge that he has chosen poorly, and now must suffer? Or was this just horrible luck? Either way...This was going to end poorly if help did not arrive.

Edited by Dandragon

A wizard huh? The most immediate connection Alain could make was with Malaphar. But if that was the case, then what did Ywein have to do with Malaphar? "Alright listen Gavin, do us a favor and go in and bring out our companions. You seem to know where the key is, so doing as much shouldn't be too difficult, right?" He eyed the guard carefully, on the one hand feeling bad that his companions were killed, and on the other not entirely buying into the whole good Samaritan act. No sane person would be standing around their post looking at a battle that was taking place after his comrades had already been killed. Either Gavin was completely out of his wits, or he had a very good reason to be standing post. Either way, it seemed perusing through the keep would have to wait until the majority of their forces had reconvened or they were absolutely certain no one else was inside. Once the captain was out, they could ask him about the interior and find out whether Gavin was telling the truth about saving his crew or not. And if the captain didn't come out, well...

Edited by Vestige

"Yeah, just let your prisoners go. We'll meet them here." Doug reaffirmed what Alain had said. He was willing to give Gavin the benefit of the doubt, but he wasn't too keen on surprises at this point. One thing was certain: there sure were a lot of wizards in Magonsaete. Maybe Doug could recruit one or two for Dougistan's famed magic shows? He gazed off towards the east as images of wizards with white tigers dazzled audiences all over Wyke.

Angus stares blindly at Ywein's head; only his shock holds back a pained shriek. Thankfully, before Angus has to decide once more whether to raise his axe, the downed eyes grow dull. The victor's ears, though, still ring, his gaze fixed downwards. [He... he said somethin'.] The particulars escaped him. Angus stares down, not even considering that another might have heard; instead, he only wonders what was said. Another scrap of this man already lost to time, to Angus' own hands.

"Think it could've been diff'rent?" His loyal animals can give him no answer. Geoffrey mewls quietly; the predators were dead and gone, so why was his strange mother distressed? A shaking head mocks the question posed. "You're righ'." Of course it could have. Angus should have been counting his lucky stars, retrieving Captain Haddock, even scavenging for gear--really, anything but adding tears to the river of blood and sweat his victory was purchased with.

Still, blind to the world, Angus Kearney strikes the earth. As if Ywein's own revenant, mindlessly fulfilling one final task, he prepares a resting place.

A Fishy Reunion

Gavin jumped, standing up straight as Alain made his request. "Right! I'll go do that!" he replied hastily, hurrying back into the fort. Lars approached Alain and Doug, his brother Hans had decided to scout out around the fort. "You think he's being honest?" Lars asked, his eyes on the door. "He seems a little keen for a guy whose friends all got slaughtered."

After a couple of minutes, the door eased open, the sounds of several footsteps grew louder. The bearded face of Captain Haddock poked through the door, the sea captain looking rather well as he walked out. His crew followed shortly after him, again, most of them relatively unharmed. "Well, I'll be an old sea dog. Didn't think the Prince would waste time on some barnacles like us, I be touched." he laughed. "Where be the Prince? I don't be seeing him here."

-

I've got a feeling

Apellon sat himself down at the water's edge, looking down into the pool. "I can't imagine you do... but then again, someone in a privileged position like yourself rarely knows the hardships in life. Nor the hardships in death, but I'm very open to teaching." he laughed, a deranged glimmer present in his eyes. "If I told you I was going to murder one of you and your friends... but let you pick whom, who would you select?"

Emily stepped forwards, putting her arms out in front of Serge. "No chance, the boss doesn't have to pick anyone. He once saved a burning building full of orphans and carried them all out on his back. The boss keeps everyone safe." Larissa had already positioned herself behind the other two, very aware that Apellon could probably try to kill all three of them.

-

UnBEARable

Geoffrey seemed unusually aware of Angus' dilemma, although being a bear meant that Ywein's body deserved a good sniff at least.

"Are you done crying?"

Morganna had stood herself on a rock behind Angus, still keeping an eye out for reinforcements. She looked down at Angus with her arms crossed. "He was a pompous fool who didn't know when to quit." she sneered. "We cut it close, but the superior side always wins. Hurry up and bury that corpse before your pet decides that it wants a snack."

Edited by Shin

"Emily...I'm not sure what stories you've heard about me but we'll talk about this later." Serge stepped in front of Emily. He could feel his hands shaking, but he wasn't about to show it. "You say I haven't hardships? What do you know?" Serge had been filled with fear up to this point, but there was two things he would not stand for at this very moment. Insulting the life that he had lived and was living, and threatening his mercenaries. His fear...was being replaced.

"You talk about the hardships of death? You wanna see death, I'll happily show you a village in Myrcia. Filled with disease, hunger, and injury with no little hope of survival. You wanna see death, I'll tell you about the years I've spent on my own slowly making my way to the capital of Wyke, walking through dens of animals and beasts that could tear a person in two! I'll tell you of surviving the cold of winter biting at your skin as you scramble for warmth! I'll tell you of the hunts I did when food was scarce and how I killed just to survive out there! I'll tell you how I survived 4 long years on my own in an unfamiliar country!" Serge, from his own words, was finally able to look at Apellon in the eye, across the river. Serge's eyes were full of a rage and determination. The wild look in his eye that had appeared before was controlled. Focused on one man threatening his entire life. "You ask me to make a choice about who dies?" He raised his sword, taking his left hand off it and pointing it with his right. "I choose...you. Because if you're gonna stand here and insult me and what I do, I'm not gonna let you walk away. You want a fight?! YOU GOT ONE!" And he put himself into a battle ready stance, placing both hands back on his sword, still staring straight at Apellon. If life was going to give him shit...then he was done taking it lying down.

But hell if I do this alone. "Emily! I need a signal flare!"

Edited by Dandragon