I started let's plays again (again), looking for advice

Amiratasiru

So I did do let's plays a little over a year back but I wasn't pleased with the quality of my videos. Recently I have bought a new mic and decided I'd give videos a shot again.

I'm doing a let's play of Adventures of Lolo, a puzzle game. Most of the videos will be short as the game is short and I am splitting up into 5 parts for the sake of better pacing. I'm new to editing as well so things may look a little amateur. I also haven't done commentary for videos like this in a while so I had a little trouble coming up with consistent commentary.

This is the first part:

I should really get back into this myself...

For one thing, your voice volume is really low I can barely hear it, even when my cpu volume is up all the way. (I had this problem myself when I first started). Perhaps increase the volume in a separate editor like Audacity or within the editing system you're using, if you are using one.

Commentary can be a variety of things and if you find that you're having trouble thinking of what to say, just talk about how you feel about the game and the thought process that's going into your mind. Voice your observations and most importantly - be genuine. The personality of your voice matters a lot too especially if there's a certain way you want to appeal to your potential audience. In general, you might want to sound a bit more enthusiastic and be a little more energetic because you're sounding a bit monotone in the video. It's not necessarily a bad thing since there are plenty of Let's Players like Cryoatic and Critikal who have monotone voices, but Cryoatic is really good at voice acting and reading the dialogue expressively, which intrigues the audience and keeps their interest. So even though his standard voice is monotone, there's another quality of his commentary that make him interesting.

Mostly what I noticed was the audio drowning you out at times, commentary is kind of hard to get the hang of (I should know I'm still working on it) but I think this is a good start.

If you really can't come up with good comentary, consider post-comentating. You miss out on on-the-spot reactions, but it makes your comentary more insightfull and consistent. You are currently doing much better than many beginer LPers. There is no savestate/rewind abuse, no Unregistered recording software logo, no curser in the midel of the screen, no shakey webcam, and commentary that generally flows decently and does not consist mostly of the word "um"

Very surreal reply for me, literally all the red flags that are associated with retsupurae

Incidentally, they are post-commentary, it's just keeping fresh with the commentary is the hard part, hence why I decided to do this game; much shorter videos.

• 3 months later...

Whoa it's me!

A lot of things have been happening lately for me and I was derailed from my desire to let's play. This was recorded a while back and I tried to upload it months ago but I had nothing but issues with it but I came back to it and fixed the issue. I should be continuing and finishing this let's play within a week.

• 3 weeks later...

It's coming very soon actually! I'm very excited about it too because it's a LOT more involved than this let's play was. I feel that it's a solid 10 times better than what I did here.

Edited by Rhayader