More Tier Lists! Mr.R's new one this time (Smash 4)

Jedi

Interesting.

Seems Mr R approach is much more mathematic and result-based, instead of using potential and overall tools to determine a placing in the tier list.

I personally do not agree with that method (because, for example, if we were to make a Melee tier list based off that, Jigglypuff would be the best, not Fox; thanks to Hbox winning pretty much everything this year) but I'm cool with it.

A different perspective is needed to shed some light on the "real world scenario" and no so much on the "what if scenario"

Edited by Riptor

I'm actually a really huge fan of Mr. R's tier list.

Like I agree with almost 90% of the tier list.

With the current results Roy is getting, D-tier is a very fair placement for him. Since there's absolutely no way he can be bottom 5 or even bottom 10 like other tier list have mentioned. He definitely has potential, it's very hard to be bottom 10 if you have pretty good match-ups against characters like Rosalina, Ryu and ZSS.

His Lucina placement is also very logical, since the main difference between Marth and Lucina is hitbox properties and consistency. Get rid of that and they're almost exactly the same. Therefore, it's fair to put them pretty close together since whatever Marth can do Lucina can probably do too.

However, I disagree with Marth's tier placement at lower A. I think if you switched around Marth and Megaman with Ryu and Corrin. Place Marth and Megaman in the front of B-Tier and lower Lucario. The tier list would be very spot on to mine.

Otherwise, I really agree with this list.

If you know about my previous statement of a different tier list (forgot who's tier list) I mentioned that I think Bowser is generally too high. I've changed my thoughts having met, and played against Bowser mains. Also having played a little bit of Bowser lately. I feel like Bowser is in the perfect spot, maybe even underrated. I mentioned how he has trouble landing, but he has stuff such as Down-B to ledge, or finding ways to place hitboxes in front of him to prevent himself from getting juggled.

The biggest thing though, is how strong he is and how much he gets off of a read. Bowser can legit be a terrifying offstage presence, something the other heavies can't do as well due to limiting air speed/laggy moves in general. Bowser is unlike them as he can jump offstage, go a little deep with an airdodge read, and so long as he has a double jump he can return fine back to stage. Up-B-Out of Shield is a great, quick and pretty good option. I seriously underestimated his Up-Throw to his everything. Anyways, Bowser is a bigger threat than I initially let him on to be, the added mobility in Smash 4 really makes a difference.

Smaller stuff I disagree with I guess is Samus being bottom 5 and Duck Hunt being way too low.

Edited by ~Summer~

another tierlist with mario S tier and Doc bottom 5 The difference between Mario and Doc is bigger than Marth/Lucina but it's not that significant.

Agree with above on Bowser though, I think he's the best superheavy, he has less polarize MU's then DK and UPb out of shield is really big.

Don't agree with DDD whatsoever (way too high) and Bayonetta seems too high too, she hasn't placed well since the nerfs.

Edited by General Horace

DDD is too high.

Dark Pit > Pit, solely because ElectroShock is better, unless you're the absolute master of gimps with Pits standard bow.

Pac-Man's too low. Suave item play puts him way into Mid-Tier.

Ryu is probably the most incorrectly placed out of everyone. He's A-S tier and there's no otherwise truth.

I know nothing about Mr. R, who he plays, or what he's famous for, so I can't value this tier list for anything because I don't know why he placed anybody where he did. This must be his For Fun tier list, because there's no possible way DDD should be that high ever.

Roy is way too high honestly. He really doesn't have much in terms of results, and hell, he's in the same tier as some of the characters who actually have way more relevant results. (and more consistant ones at that)

You're telling me, that a character whose highest placement is 17th in a regional deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Ike? Ha. I like a good laugh, myself.

Edited by Falaflame

You're telling me, that a character whose highest placement is 17th in a regional deserves to be mentioned in the same sentence as Ike? Ha. I like a good laugh, myself.

Ike hasn't done crap since the 3DS days and his players have all but ditched him, he's dead in the water compared to the few Roy mains that remain and have been honing their character. This is partly based on the best player of each character.

Ike no longer HAS a best player, because all of his notable mains are Corrin players now. San? Well his best placement was at GoML being in top 32 where he was destroyed by ZeRo and got a lower placement than a Shulk.

Edited by Jedi

Ike no longer HAS a best player, because all of his notable mains are Corrin players now.

Would you say Corrin is just a better version of Ike?

Would you say Corrin is just a better version of Ike?

They don't really play similar so no.

Ike focuses on his really good grab game, jab mixups and solid aerial game, with some spacing, Corrin meanwhile is about precision, zoning people out entirely and using multihit attacks that have funky properties.

Edited by Jedi

For how massive the range of some of Corrin's attacks are, I fail to see how "precision" is a key aspect of his playstyle.

Kamui's drill tippers.

Side B is a combo starter, follow-up, or finisher depending on distance.

FSmash is able to cover multiple points. Depending on your choice, you can poke through shields or do a lot of shield damage. Shield stun at tipper distance can possibly be safe.

...Fsmash depends on that tipper distance.

Dsmash on tipper hurts like Marth when committing to a roll read.

Neutral B covers ledge options with the exception of waiting if spaced correctly.

So yes, precision.

True to their game, the dragon plays footsies until they can go in for the S-Support.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Interesting.

Seems Mr R approach is much more mathematic and result-based, instead of using potential and overall tools to determine a placing in the tier list.

I personally do not agree with that method (because, for example, if we were to make a Melee tier list based off that, Jigglypuff would be the best, not Fox; thanks to Hbox winning pretty much everything this year) but I'm cool with it.

A different perspective is needed to shed some light on the "real world scenario" and no so much on the "what if scenario"

that's not really true at all. hungrybox is the only real notable puff. the next best one is prince abu and he's like 5 tiers below the top players. hungrybox is a bit of an outlier as far as puff results go. there are a billion placing foxes. mango, armada, leffen, and even mew2king play fox. it's not even remotely comparable. puff tends to get pretty high on tier lists nowadays anyway. usually 4th or 5th.

Kamui's drill tippers.

Side B is a combo starter, follow-up, or finisher depending on distance.

FSmash is able to cover multiple points. Depending on your choice, you can poke through shields or do a lot of shield damage. Shield stun at tipper distance can possibly be safe.

...Fsmash depends on that tipper distance.

Dsmash on tipper hurts like Marth when committing to a roll read.

Neutral B covers ledge options with the exception of waiting if spaced correctly.

So yes, precision.

True to their game, the dragon plays footsies until they can go in for the S-Support.

Yeah basically all this, meanwhile Ike focuses as I said, on mixing his attacks up with his very good jab and hitting catching you on reads and getting good grabs and edge guarding with walk off fairs, or in the case of tethers walk off dairs.

I mean Ike is surprisingly fast for how powerful he is and combos really well, Corrin funny enough isn't quite as combo based at all unless its in the air.

• 1 month later...