Things you like about FE14's Plot (Spoilers)

quasimopho13

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I checked, this was "Things you like about FE14's Plot", not "bitch about FE14's plot and/or other people's choices".

Anyway. . .

- The first half of Revelations is my favorite take of the Nohr/Hoshido war. Bummer that Hinoka was out for so long due to plot reasons.

- Zola was quite a different villain in Birthright, which was refreshing.

- Camilla has one bright spot once Hinoka goes poof, which is somehow one of my favorite plot moments in Conquest.

Elise's death scene in Birthright hurt pretty bad. Fuck Xander.

Revelations was lol but it was pretty decent/okay up until everyone jumps off the cliff.

Conquest's story, again, was lol but I legit enjoyed Takumi's story to it.

Chapter 5 is always fun plot wise.

I like how their is a very good reason to choose either Hoshido or Nohr, there isn't a wrong choice.

I don't mean to start a fuss over this, but could you explain your stance on this? I genuinely don't understand it. You've got one evil nation whose leader has killed the protagonists parents and the protagonist themselves twice before the sixth chapter, then you go back to that country to invade Hoshido, which has done nothing wrong.

Then there's the fact that you don't end up killing the true big bad in either Birthright or Conquest, meaning that Anankos (and Sumeragi) are still around, and now Corrin doesn't have Azura for her song or one respectively two siblings to power up the Yato.

It's a very black and white conflict, and one path leads to the golden ending.

Anyway, as to what I like, it isn't much outside of a few supports. I did enjoy chapter six until it was revealed to be utterly meaningless with Revelation. Still, it's the only time where the game doesn't pull any punches in making you feel bad, and the writing is stronger for it.

I don't mean to start a fuss over this, but could you explain your stance on this? I genuinely don't understand it. You've got one evil nation whose leader has killed the protagonists parents and the protagonist themselves twice before the sixth chapter, then you go back to that country to invade Hoshido, which has done nothing wrong.

Then there's the fact that you don't end up killing the true big bad in either Birthright or Conquest, meaning that Anankos (and Sumeragi) are still around, and now Corrin doesn't have Azura for her song or one respectively two siblings to power up the Yato.

It's a very black and white conflict, and one path leads to the golden ending.

Anyway, as to what I like, it isn't much outside of a few supports. I did enjoy chapter six until it was revealed to be utterly meaningless with Revelation. Still, it's the only time where the game doesn't pull any punches in making you feel bad, and the writing is stronger for it.

I'm pretty sure even with that the Anakos and Smeragi thing is solved with the Hidden Truths DLC so all three are the "golden path" if I remember right. Shigure's song (wonderfully done btw) eliminated them from all the timelines right?

I'm pretty sure even with that the Anakos and Smeragi thing is solved with the Hidden Truths DLC so all three are the "golden path" if I remember right. Shigure's song (wonderfully done btw) eliminated them from all the timelines right?

Do you even hear how silly that sounds? I don't mean that to sound rude to you, I just mean that it screams cop-out, and since we don't see the results of it, I can't consider something so important to be canon.

Do you even hear how silly that sounds? I don't mean that to sound rude to you, I just mean that it screams cop-out, and since we don't see the results of it, I can't consider something so important to be canon.

This is the WRONG THREAD for this.

EDIT: Resolve this by PM if you must. Anyone else that thinks that this is the thread to complain about the plot will be warned.

Edited by eclipse

It is pretty silly, I just wanted to make sure.

To add another thing that isn't entirely a complaint, I love Azura's dance sequences in both routes. Do those count?

It is pretty silly, I just wanted to make sure.

To add another thing that isn't entirely a complaint, I love Azura's dance sequences in both routes. Do those count?

Eh. . .not really IMO. Switch the dances around, and nothing changes except for Azura's dress.

Eh. . .not really IMO. Switch the dances around, and nothing changes except for Azura's dress.

Damn, foiled again. Damn you mods.

However it did start the jumper cables in my mind. My sleep depraved, 3 am focused mind.

In Conquest I do always enjoy Sakura, as shy as she was, managed to steel herself in order to help fight and protect her country. I don't care much for how they treat her after, but in general I think that was rather brave of her.

If not that I do guess that I actually did enjoy the dragon transformation sequence and chapter. It's a shame that plot point was really dropped, Manakete lord was genuinely one of the things I was looking for. I hope they refine it and try it again some time later.

Are we talking about Xander's reason for fighting before or after Elise died? Because until that point, yes, I thought it was well executed. Afterwards, however... Xander ignores his sister's dying wish and forces Corrin (his other brother/sister) to kill him because he's too much of a coward to do the right thing?

Xander is a dick.

I think Xander's reason for righting after Elise's death was because he wanted Corrin to kill him (because Xander accidentally killed Elise.

It seemed like Xander was emotionally devastated at that point and just wanted to die.

Their issues aside, I do still enjoy Birthright and Revelations' stories, and some of the emotional scenes (both of Mikoto's deaths, Sumeragi's second death, Ryoma and Takumi's deaths) did manage to invoke some emotion for me. I also happen to like most of the characters, and most of the characters I dislike are because there's an element of their personality that doesn't appeal to me, not because they're strictly awful characters.

I think Xander's reason for righting after Elise's death was because he wanted Corrin to kill him (because Xander accidentally killed Elise.

It seemed like Xander was emotionally devastated at that point and just wanted to die.

Xander forcing his already emotionally distraught sibling to kill him because he couldn't live with his actions just makes him more of a dick in my eyes, honestly. Although it also did make it more enjoyable to one-shot him with Kamui, so I guess I don't mind that much?

Edited by AzureSen

Oh dear... this is hard...

...I adore the premise, to be sure, on a fundamental level, before certain decisions were brought to light (like how cartoonishly evil Garon was and how absurdly pure and virtuous Japanneryn was), and even then I had high hopes for it because the idea still seemed great. There is an amazing story to be told based on this game's pitch.

Their issues aside, I do still enjoy Birthright and Revelations' stories, and some of the emotional scenes (both of Mikoto's deaths, Sumeragi's second death, Ryoma and Takumi's deaths) did manage to invoke some emotion for me. I also happen to like most of the characters, and most of the characters I dislike are because there's an element of their personality that doesn't appeal to me, not because they're strictly awful characters.

Xander forcing his already emotionally distraught sibling to kill him because he couldn't live with his actions just makes him more of a dick in my eyes, honestly. Although it also did make it more enjoyable to one-shot him with Kamui, so I guess I don't mind that much?

Fair enough. I could see how it can be interpreted that way considering Kamui just lost their sister. However, so did Xander since Elise is his sister too.

I think it's also important to remember that no one was thinking logically because they were overwhelmed with grief. So in that sense, Xander's actions make sense given his mindset at the time.

Zola's involvement in Birthright was one of my favorite moments. Elise's moments as well. Save Xander, the Nohrian Siblings are actually more enjoyable in Birthright.

Takumi's parts in Conquest was also nice and well done. As well as Ryoma's death scene. If it wasn't for the whole premise, the confrontation with Iago and Hans would have also been cool, considering how badass everyone talks.

Revelations... I honestly don't know atm.

And with some actual honour? There is no such thing in the world when it comes to taking a life, even your own. I believe it's just a convenient excuse to make death acceptable. If Ryoma has honour for not falling at the hands at the hands of the enemy, then Xander has honour for remaining loyal to Nohr till the very end. The end result is the same, they are both dead, and we could have avoided it. So no, I don't think Ryoma's death is better.

In past times things were different than today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku

I like the fact that there is no path, where you can recruit everybody. The Plot kills every path a few units/make them needed elsewhere.

In past times things were different than today

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seppuku

I am well aware of that. But in today's world our views have changed. Here we are, criticizing characters for mentalities that are different than the ones we have now. So in context, what Ryoma did was "honorable", but us players know that it no longer holds any weight in our society and is pointless.

What Xander did would have been "honorable" back then as well. But as we've discussed a million times, we disagree with his notion of honor, seeing as we live in a world that tends to value human life more than it used to.

I am well aware of that. But in today's world our views have changed. Here we are, criticizing characters for mentalities that are different than the ones we have now. So in context, what Ryoma did was "honorable", but us players know that it no longer holds any weight in our society and is pointless.

What Xander did would have been "honorable" back then as well. But as we've discussed a million times, we disagree with his notion of honor, seeing as we live in a world that tends to value human life more than it used to.

Unlike the dude above me, you're not getting a warn. Instead, you're getting a reminder to stick to the topic.

Edited by eclipse

Unlike the dude above me, you're not getting a warn. Instead, you're getting a reminder to stick to the topic.

Hang on a second, what part of that was even trolling? I clearly stated my HONEST opinion on the topic. So I can't say anything negative about the plot that was even worse than I expected? And those expectations were even super low to non-existant.

Edited by RoyLKing

Hang on a second, what part of that was even trolling? I clearly stated my HONEST opinion on the topic. So I can't say anything negative about the plot that was even worse than I expected? And those expectations were even super low to non-existant.

The point of this thread is to post things you like about the plot, so if you don't have a single positive thing to say, you shouldn't be posting here.

Back on topic: To add on to my first post in this thread, I think the premise of the game was really solid. The protagonist being torn between the family he grew up with and the family he was born to is a great recipe for drama and could have made an excellent plot.

Edited by NekoKnight

I thought Takumi in Conquest was good. He was the only one who made sense about Corrin, and at the same time you can see how his hatred would lead him to be possessed. That is, until *that* scene, but it's still better than the rest of Conquest.

I thought Takumi in Conquest was good. He was the only one who made sense about Corrin, and at the same time you can see how his hatred would lead him to be possessed. That is, until *that* scene, but it's still better than the rest of Conquest.

I think it would've been a lot better without the possession. It would mean that Takumi's dislike came from himself, which IMO would've been a lot easier to swallow. Of the siblings, I think the younger siblings did a better job of portraying themselves than the older ones (whether it be Sakura's resolve to do SOMETHING and Takumi's anger towards Corrin for the betrayal).

Oh, that reminds me. One of Azura's brighter points is her mourning Ryoma after Chapter 25. It's a nice reflection of how she spent a good chunk of her life among her own adopted siblings.

I agree, that's why I like Zephiel as a villain more than Hardin. Zephiel's actions were all his doing. On the contrary, Hardin was stoned the entire time.

It's much more interesting when villains' actions are a result of themselves (such as a personality trait) rather than being possessed by some "evil power". Makes the characters more realistic and believable.

This is especially true since people often have a reason for what they do. People typically don't go out of their way to negatively impact others because they enjoy it or for no reason.

It's not like someone wakes up and is like "I want the world to burn for no reason."

Edited by quasimopho13

I genuinely like the first half (well, more like first third) of Conquest. It actually dealt with Corrin struggling to do the right thing in a situation where his very allies make that harder. And we even having him questioning his choicen whether it was right, and reflecting on how it may have been selfish or a mistake.

Then sadly they go to Valla and the rest of the story nosedives through the ground