Things you like about FE14's Plot (Spoilers)

quasimopho13

True, they could have really built on that by creating a character arc where Corrin comes to terms with those choices and learns from her/his mistakes (if there are any).

Edited by quasimopho13

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's see...

I like how Corrin's "No Kill Policy" makes sense in the first few chapters of Revelations as he tries his best to make Hoshido and Nohr join his cause.

Zola's plan in Conquest to kill the Hoshidan Royals in Chapter 18 with less bloodshed was smart. I get that Corrin and Azura know that they are innocent but come on, the sooner the better.

I think it would've been a lot better without the possession. It would mean that Takumi's dislike came from himself, which IMO would've been a lot easier to swallow. Of the siblings, I think the younger siblings did a better job of portraying themselves than the older ones (whether it be Sakura's resolve to do SOMETHING and Takumi's anger towards Corrin for the betrayal).Oh, that reminds me. One of Azura's brighter points is her mourning Ryoma after Chapter 25. It's a nice reflection of how she spent a good chunk of her life among her own adopted siblings.

I think that it would be best had Anankos offered Takumi some power and that power slowly corrupted him. It would then be left ambiguous how much of it was him and how much was the possession, sort of like Macbeth. But yeah, I do see what you mean.

I think that it would be best had Anankos offered Takumi some power and that power slowly corrupted him. It would then be left ambiguous how much of it was him and how much was the possession, sort of like Macbeth. But yeah, I do see what you mean.

I feel that would have just been a better form of the possession in general. Either that, or implied that Takumi died after the first encounter and the body was a shallow husk for so long.

I feel that would have just been a better form of the possession in general. Either that, or implied that Takumi died after the first encounter and the body was a shallow husk for so long.

Takumi does indicate posthumously that he's been dead for a while in Conquest and Anankos is using his body as a puppet.

Yeah, I just finished Hidden Truths 2 about 5 min ago. It was pretty solid in terms of plot.

Off topic, but the gameplay was fun too. It was sweet powering up along the way. Odin with Quitoxic and Sol was nuts. I like using my own units more, but the chapters that give you set units are fun because you get to see what you can pull off with limited resources.

That's actually why I like Conquest and the older games. You have limited resources AND get to use your own units. So it's the best of both worlds.

I liked the possession stuff actually. It's not as clear cut as you think it is.

The people who get possessed are either dead beforehand or have intense negative emotions. Sumeragi and Mikoto were possessed after their deaths, but Takumi (and I'm pretty sure Gunter and Garon as well) was consumed from the inside. Basically, you have embers, fairly harmless, but Anankos is blowing at the embers until they burst into flame.

The way I see it, Takumi did most of the work when it came to possession. Remember, these possessed husks still believe they were the same people as before, and have valid reasons for having negative emotions. Unless they are already dead, Anankos cannot force someone into his service by his power alone. Even Garon was surprised when Anankos ate him, showing that domination isn't actually total, the crazy dragon needs a foundation to work with.

It's basically stated in Conquest that the reason Garon wants to make Corrin suffer was so that Anankos could possess Corrin as well. Anankos told Garon to do so, it wasn't just for the sake of kicking puppies. Gooron actually regrets not killing Corrin when he had the chance, which is against Anankos' wish.

I am terrible at explaining things sometimes, but this was all to say that the possession stuff was decently explained and that I think Takumi wasn't just a mindless husk at the endgame. A mixture of Anankos' insanity and Takumi hatred, they both had a part to play in it. I liked that endgame twist in Conquest very much.

Again, I wish I could have conveyed my thoughts in a better manner, even I'm having trouble understanding what I wrote, lol.

I am terrible at explaining things sometimes, but this was all to say that the possession stuff was decently explained and that I think Takumi wasn't just a mindless husk at the endgame. A mixture of Anankos' insanity and Takumi hatred, they both had a part to play in it. I liked that endgame twist in Conquest very much.

Again, I wish I could have conveyed my thoughts in a better manner, even I'm having trouble understanding what I wrote, lol.

I think Takumi was handled well, too, but I don't agree with your conclusion here. I think that, by Endgame, Takumi was directly possessed by Anankos, with only the vaguest remnant of Takumi's traits.

I believe that Takumi died when he jumped from the Great Wall of Suzanoh, leaving only his body, animated by a fraction of Anankos's spirit. In support of this, consider that, at Endgame, Takumi is no longer coherent at all. Neither Garon nor Gunter ever lost control of themselves like that; only Takumi did. I think that this shows he was a mindless puppet of Anankos by then, with nothing left of what made him Takumi.

(As a side note, I think that Garon's death is what allowed Anankos full direct control over Takumi for Endgame, along with the corruption of Fujin Yumi - Garon's death resulted in Anankos getting his power back, and the dragon then re-invested it in Takumi as a last-ditch effort to take out Corrin.)

Takumi does indicate posthumously that he's been dead for a while in Conquest and Anankos is using his body as a puppet.

Yeah, but I meant more like after you fight him. It's clear he had been dead, but not after any particular moment so it's hard to know if he was alive at say chapter 10.

I think Takumi was handled well, too, but I don't agree with your conclusion here. I think that, by Endgame, Takumi was directly possessed by Anankos, with only the vaguest remnant of Takumi's traits.

I believe that Takumi died when he jumped from the Great Wall of Suzanoh, leaving only his body, animated by a fraction of Anankos's spirit. In support of this, consider that, at Endgame, Takumi is no longer coherent at all. Neither Garon nor Gunter ever lost control of themselves like that; only Takumi did. I think that this shows he was a mindless puppet of Anankos by then, with nothing left of what made him Takumi.

(As a side note, I think that Garon's death is what allowed Anankos full direct control over Takumi for Endgame, along with the corruption of Fujin Yumi - Garon's death resulted in Anankos getting his power back, and the dragon then re-invested it in Takumi as a last-ditch effort to take out Corrin.)

Maybe he did die when he jumped, maybe not. I could see arguments going in favor for either option.

But yeah, he probably was near-totally possessed at the end, like Gunter was a couple of times. It seems like it comes and goes, when Anankos decides he needs to take matters into his own hands for a bit. I think my overall point still stands, but you probably are right about this case.

(As a side note, referring to your side note, I don't think Anankos gets his power back when his pawns die, seeing as he had to directly eat Garon to regain his power. Mr. Silent-Not-Actually-Silent probably just invested even more of his own remaining power into Takumi for that last-ditch effort. I like to believe Anankos at that point basically crippled himself for a good long while and will need time to recover, a la Grima if slain by Chrom. Although I guess he still has some of his weaker pawns.)

The people who get possessed are either dead beforehand or have intense negative emotions. Sumeragi and Mikoto were possessed after their deaths, but Takumi (and I'm pretty sure Gunter and Garon as well) was consumed from the inside. Basically, you have embers, fairly harmless, but Anankos is blowing at the embers until they burst into flame.

IIRC, Garon walks up to Anankos willingly at the end of Revelation, so I think part of it was his own free will. It was also one of the better moments in Revelation, since it shows that Garon was a somewhat willing participant in everything.

Perhaps Takumi jumping from the wall was his last-ditch effort to save himself and Corrin from whatever was invading his mind. It would've been cheesy, but cool.

Maybe he did die when he jumped, maybe not. I could see arguments going in favor for either option.

But yeah, he probably was near-totally possessed at the end, like Gunter was a couple of times. It seems like it comes and goes, when Anankos decides he needs to take matters into his own hands for a bit. I think my overall point still stands, but you probably are right about this case.

(As a side note, referring to your side note, I don't think Anankos gets his power back when his pawns die, seeing as he had to directly eat Garon to regain his power. Mr. Silent-Not-Actually-Silent probably just invested even more of his own remaining power into Takumi for that last-ditch effort. I like to believe Anankos at that point basically crippled himself for a good long while and will need time to recover, a la Grima if slain by Chrom. Although I guess he still has some of his weaker pawns.)

Anankos didn't necessarily have to eat Garon, though, did he? My interpretation of that is that killing Gooron was the objective and the eating was just the means. I also think that corrupting Fujin Yumi into Skadi probably took a fair bit of dragon-power, so that's where my hypothesis was coming from.

I'd have to dig a bit to find the exact quote, but I do believe it was mentioned in Revelation that Garon was already dead when Anankos possessed him.