How would you feel if you suddenly found out you weren't related to your family by blood?

Jotari

I probably wouldn't care too much beyond the initial shock.

In regards to adoption, I'd generally prefer to raise children of my own blood but it's entirely possible to love children you aren't blood related to. A part of me wants to adopt red-headed children because the chance of me siring any of my 'own kind' is very low. Wouldn't that be a fun story?

The most outspoken adoptee I know is also Korean, and was adopted by a white couple! Her issues lie with her parents having had the 'white Christian saviour' complex, with being brought up to 'be white' and with no consideration given to teaching her about anything relating to Korea.

By the way you describe it, those 'parents' were bizarrely ethnocentric. Like, did they treat their own child like he was exotic?

That said, I don't think there is anything wrong with not going out of your way to educate your adopted children about their 'home country'. Their genetic heritage has nothing to do with who they are as a person.

Edited by NekoKnight

I would be angry. I would rather know early on, as a child, or never be told at all. I want to have a biological child one day, because I appreciate the genes and history I was given, and I want to continue them. And if I was told I was adopted, half of my drive to start a family would just be gone.

In response to the second part of the question, I would not choose adoption, but I would not rule it out altogether. I don't go to the doctor, and my spouse rarely does as well. One of us may not be able to produce a child for all we know, and I would consider adopting as an option. I would love the child all the same, and even if I couldn't pass my genes, I would still impart all of my semi-useful knowledge and goofy mannerisms.

I've never had a reason to even suspect I was adopted though, I've got my Dad's face and my Mom's eyes and nose.

I'd feel a little betrayed about the distrust implicit in how long my parents would have kept it a secret from me, but otherwise, not much would change. They're the ones who loved me and supported me and cared for me growing up, so they're my real parents; their genetic relation to me has nothing to do with that. Interpersonal bonds developed through actual shared time and experience are more important than genetic bonds, after all. I would wanna support the biological parent who gave birth to me if the circumstances surrounding the pregnancy were hard on them, though. Pregnancy's already a hard enough thing to go through on its own, so I'd wanna make sure they knew that their courage and fortitude were appreciated.

Basically this. I'd be more annoyed that my parents kept it a secret over actually caring about not being related by blood. Also agree about the biological parents part, although I'd probably be really nervous to actually meet them. Still, it'd be pretty cool to have two sets of parents IMO.

Never thought about wanting children before, so either way makes no difference to me. I can barely take care of myself and I'd be a horrible parent so I wouldn't want to subject anyone to that.

My dad was adopted, and he seemed to not care about finding out who his biological parents are/were, or thought it was unimportant. Not sure if there was a reason for that.

I'd be surprised, and probably curious.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I look to much like my dad and sister for me to be adopted, but if my family said I was I would half way believe it because I have health problems that no one else in my family has or ever had. As to adoption if I ever have kids that would be the route I will go because I made the decision a long time ago that I would never have biological children because of the chance of me passing my problems to my kid/ my bearing a baby to full term without any problems happening are very slim.