Kipor Analyzes Stuff in Fates

Kipor

I agree with your analyses Xander is a flawed character and that makes him likeable to me however the only thing that really stands in the way is the fact that he goes easy on the avatar when logically he should keep fighting till his last breaths for his kingdom and Garon. The problem is Cornbreads Mary Sue-ness they want to make the player feel special by making it seem as if Xander cannot bring themselves to kill precious cornbread so they let them win despite the fact that it completely undermines his character and that is why Mary Sues are horrible and why cornbread is unbearable.

This again? Corrin's not a Mary Sue. KRIS is a Mary Sue. A Mary Sue is a character created and inserted into a pre-existing story as wish fulfilment--an idealized character who lacks flaws.

People slapping that label onto characters they don't like is one of my greatest peeves, since now it's just misused for everything.

Anyway, fifthing (?) the Peri recommendation. She's extremely controversial and it'd be interesting to see what you make of her.

Edited by Abvora

Hey, everyone! Thank you for all the attention this topic been getting! I'll answer you all again as soon as possible - at the moment my college is kind of taking quite a bit of my time, but I'm already going through some supports of Peri to get a feel of her character and making some notes about her. I'll try to make an analysis as soon as possible.

By the way, Tucking, feel free! You can post your analyzes whenever you desire, buddy (that a gender-neutral word, right? I'm pretty sure it is). Also, I didn't forget about your request; ages are a bit more complicated since I have to go through several characters for that, but I'll try and make the analysis after the Peri one, since that one requires a bit less in terms of research. But again, thank you all!

This again? Corrin's not a Mary Sue. KRIS is a Mary Sue. A Mary Sue is a character created and inserted into a pre-existing story as wish fulfilment--an idealized character who lacks flaws.

No, an over-idealized character doesn't have to be inserted into a pre-existing story in order to be a Sue, that's just where it's most commonly found. It's hard to tell whether Corrin is a Mary Sue though... while the story doesn't really recognize his flaws much or ever, said flaws are hilariously transparent for most viewers to see. Then again, some of the most notorious Sues are shockingly terrible people (see Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way, or the infamous sociopathic genderbent Harry Potter who must not be named), it's just that the sympathetic characters praise them to high heaven anyway because the author doesn't recognize what they had their Sue do to be wrong.

Edited by Alastor15243

By the way, Tucking, feel free! You can post your analyzes whenever you desire, buddy (that a gender-neutral word, right? I'm pretty sure it is). Also, I didn't forget about your request; ages are a bit more complicated since I have to go through several characters for that, but I'll try and make the analysis after the Peri one, since that one requires a bit less in terms of research. But again, thank you all!

Buddy seems gender neutral to me :)

I sixth??? the Peri analysis, and due to that, I should hold off posting the age theory until afterwards. I could PM my theory to you first to see if you can find any holes in it (though any holes I have found I have been able to patch up).

People slapping that label onto characters they don't like is one of my greatest peeves, since now it's just misused for everything.

Anyway, fifthing (?) the Peri recommendation. She's extremely controversial and it'd be interesting to see what you make of her.

Depends on your definition. Some people acknowledge the existence of Canon Sues - that is, characters with many of the traits of a Mary Sue, but which aren't fan-made. Under this definition, Corrin fits pretty well: they are praised to high heaven for every choice they make; they have speshul powers and ancestry (seriously, having some familial connection to two royal families and a dragon? That's quite a thing.); the whole setting clearly bends over for them; and they're flat as all get-out.

And technically Kris isn't a Mary Sue under the traditional definition, because Kris is canon (unfortunately). Kris is a retcon, yes, but no more a Mary Sue than Corrin is.