Seth vs Sigurd

Valkarian

Seth Vs Sigurd  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Who is Stronger?

• Sigurd Emblem: Genealogy of the Pony War
    • Seth Emblem: The Sacred Seth's

I believe Sigurd is better, not only because Sacred Stones is easy even without Seth, but also he has to haul Eirika over to each Seize point, or it's a route map which will take to complete on LTC runs. Sigurd on the other hand, not only doesn't have to deal with that, but he can kill the boss and Seize on the same turn thanks to Canto. Mekkah even believes Sigurd is better than Seth, which say's something.

Most of the Arguments i hear against Sigurd which I hear are that he falls mid-late game(edit: actually it was probably a reference to the bbq XD). Of course if personal experience meant anything, than I would say that this argument is false. And when people say that Sigurd is weaker than Seth, they are probably taking personal experience into account, since both characters can solo their respective games without falling off at all. Especially one of the people on reddit who were discussing the most broken units in Fire Emblem ever said that Sigurd tends to fall off midgame: https://www.reddit.com/r/fireemblem/comments/4i3rvy/who_is_the_most_broken_unit_in_the_entire_series/?st=irh5oeql&sh=21339762

Remeber: Personal Experience doesn't count, if you need the raw numbers and averages, look them up, they shouldn't be too difficult to find. If you can, try and justify your reasoning.

Edited by Valkarian

I'm not exactly sure if falling mid to late game is a joke of yours, but Sigurd can't exactly solo FE 4 if you know about the BBQ in Chap 5. I also don't really know what you're trying to prove exactly since you're not exactly giving us any more information as to why you believe Sigurd is better other than referencing Mekkah. If you just brought your own raw number and averages in your opening post I think I'd understand your point better. Also Seth is there from start to finish so that does give him an edge.

Edited by Raguna

Yeah Sigurd isn't around for the whole game, i guess from the reddit user, "falling off in the midgame" could be a reference to the Barbecue. And you are right, I should have stated that Sigurd can only solo the First Generation since he's not around after Chapter 5 and is replaced by Seliph and also that this poll only applies to the First Gen of FE 4. Also, pretty much everything Seth has, Sigurd has as well (mount, excellent weapon ranks, sky high bases, fantastic growths), which is why i didn't really state these aspects as it would be somewhat redundant. But otherwise, Sigurd also get's the Tyrfing which pretty much is like another promotion (+10 skill and speed, +20 Magic Defense, and Miracle). There are probably more reasons as to why Sigurd is better, which is why I'm holding this poll in the first place.

also here are the averages:

Sigurd's Averages:

http://fea.fewiki.net/fea.php?character=sigurd&game=4

Seth Averages:

http://fea.fewiki.net/fea.php?character=seth&game=8e

honestly it wan't that hard to find, just look up "*Insert Character name here* Averges Fire Emblem"

Edited by Valkarian

also here are the averages:

Sigurd's Averages:

http://fea.fewiki.net/fea.php?character=sigurd&game=4

Seth Averages:

http://fea.fewiki.net/fea.php?character=seth&game=8e

honestly it wan't that hard to find, just look up "*Insert Character name here* Averges Fire Emblem"

True but now that you posted them no one will have to look around for it and we avoid anyone going off from memory

As for the Tyrfing, it does come into your party broken in Sigurd's last chapter and you have to repair it to never use it again for Sigurd's gen and Seliph only gets it in Chap 10 but Seliph shouldn't equate in how good Sigurd is in this discussion unless we're taking children into context when Seth won't have in what we play in this game. I also don't think Sigurd will ever truly reach level 30 if memory serves me correct since you need to spread out the exp evenly across other characters like Ayra and Lex. Unless the arena gives hefty exp enough to reach that point then sure but adding that Seth could easily just grind in the earliest Arena you get to 20 itself can help him. I don't count arena grinding as legitimate in Seth's case but is a good idea to think about in that case.

If you're talking about the most highly optimized versions of each then sure I can believe Sigurd with Tyrfing could beat Seth any day, but in a normal run, you'd probably want to keep the money instead of repairing that sword.

1)

I also don't think Sigurd will ever truly reach level 30 if memory serves me correct since you need to spread out the exp evenly across other characters like Ayra and Lex.

In any case if you are worrying about Growth Spread than Seth probably won't reach Level 20 since most FE games aren't Pre Promote- friendly when it comes to experience. In FE4 Sigurd gets the same amount of experience as your other growth units (actually it's more like 26 instead of 30) which is significantly more than Seth. On top of that, both Seth and Sigurd have the advantage on being on a mount. And in FE 4's case, no matter how good a combat unit is, such as Ayra and Levin, they will be held back due to the sheer fact they can't get to the opposition in time because your mounted units are the one's cleaning house(unless you prefer to turtle). Further more there are 9 characters in the First Gen that start with a mount. 3 of which leave before Chapter 4, 1 of which lacks an enemy phase. And since your main method of training for your unmounted units is going to be the Arena, and the fact that Sigurd has the highest starting movement in the game, it is safe to assume that Sigurd will at least reach close to level 30 by the end of the game, and get 50 kills on that Silver Sword of his.

2)

True but now that you posted them no one will have to look around for it and we avoid anyone going off from memory

As for the Tyrfing, it does come into your party broken in Sigurd's last chapter and you have to repair it to never use it again for Sigurd's gen

Remeber you can partially repair weapons in this game, and since you aren't going to use Sigurd after Chapter 5 you can pretty much use your reaming cash on repairing the Tyrfing. And since I already stated that Sigurd should at the very least be close to his level cap by Chapter 5, and considering his averages, the only reason he should need the Tyrfing is when facing the Wyvern squad, and the amout of uses of Tyrfing he will need is enough to last him one enemy phase, which means he should only need around 15-20 uses of the Tyrfing, which means he only need 2,500 gold to repair it, which is he can have by visiting one village on the Chapter you get the Tyrfing. Otherwise, many of the Enemies in this chapter wield axes which means all Sigurd needs is that wonderful Silver Sword of his.

Though I do agree with you on the idea that Seth can reach Level 20 long before Sigurd reaches Level 30 due to how arena's work in the Gba Games. Otherwise, there is no reason why you should hold back on repairing the Tyrfing in Chapter 5 since there is no reason he is going to use that extra gold.

Seth. Seth has no weaknesses. Sigurd at least has spotty res and needs people to help him defeat certain bosses with overpowered swords. Seth starts out strong and ends up... Stronger... Sigurd is just insanely powerful and gets handed a super good weapon at the start of the game. If Sigurd didn't get that Silver Sword, he'd dominate far less. Seth doesn't NEED his Silver weapon to dominate. It's just out and out overkill in the beginning.

There aren't many enemy magic users in both Sacred Stones and the first generation of FE 4 so having low resistance can easily be compensated with a good avoid stat and or a brave weapon. With a hero sword and canto Sigurd can one round an enemy range and then use his remaining movement to weave in and out of a pack of Mages range. Also Getting a super good weapon at the beginning of the game doesn't matter since bothe the Silver sword the brave sword in Chapter 3 aren't prof ranked, and since on efficiency runs Sigurd will see the most combat, these two should go to him. Having a super good weapon that can be repaired infinitely, is another reason why most consider Sigurd better, as you are right that Seth doesn't need his Silver lance to break the game, th fact that he can't use his stronger weapons without worrying abut durabaility especially in the early game, is another reason that Sigurd is considered better.

Though you are right that Seth doesn't need a silly Silver weapon to wreck the mid-late game.

Edited by Valkarian

I believe Seth can solo the final boss on hard mode if you rig 2 crits both on player phase while having someone who can use the

Psychic staff heal Seth, but considering how effortlessly Sigurd solo's Leptors batallion, Sigurd wins out in the endgame department(endgame for gen1 anyways)

Sigurd's supporting cast is much weaker, so he has to put in a lot of work, and has some bad/mediocre moments like the desert map, and isn't your best unit lategame (he's still very good, but he's likely not getting warped for bosskills). FE4 gen 1's best units are gone in chapter 4, and Cuan/Ethlin/Fin aren't on the level of Vanessa/Eph!Cormag and Eir!Saleh.

Sigurd is better because Sigurd can actually solo his game. Not in the hypothetical sense, like Seth, because Sigurd can Seize.

Seth has availability through the whole game, which is a big point against Sigurd. But Sigurd has the benefit of passing down all of his rings and things to Seliph, who can then solo gen 2 with a little help from Oifey.

Well I did say that this only applies to first gen so yeah, no points for Seth concerning availability. Also I'm fairly certain that Seliph only needs a healer to solo chapter 6 and Levin!Arthur during the later stages of the game. Though on efficiency runs Oifey may be required to shave off those extra turns.

Edited by Valkarian

• 2 weeks later...

the difference between seth and sigurd is that fe8 does not literally revolve around seth the same way fe4 gen 1 literally revolves around sigurd

the strength of your sigurd literally determines the speed at which you clear chapters. anybody who's played an fe4 draft can tell you that. the same applies to seliph, for the record (your assertion of "seliph needs a healer/arthur to solo" is wrong, but for the opposite reason - a proper efficiency run doesn't even need those)

in fe8, there are some chapters where seth is not the most important unit on the field (see: chapter 7 where you need vanessa to skip the stupid river)

Mekkah explains it much more in-depth and in-detail than i can (note that that list is somewhat outdated and comes before the release of awakening)

Edited by CT075

yeah, i haven't really seen many Fire Emblem 4 efficiency runs except this one LTC percent growths run (can't remember from who, I think it was from Marty), also I'm probably wrong on the whole "Arthur help Celice solo thing" but i have done a playthrough with Celice, Arthur, Ares and Leaf(the localized name is way cooler) just running around doing rescue shenanigans where Arthur was a central force due to actually having a good 1-2 range but i wasn't actually trying to get Low Turns, also the pairing takes too long which is why it probably isn't used in proper efficiency runs.

• 1 month later...

Why does this even exist? Sigurd is the better of the two.

Seth is good, and I've tried soloing the game with seth. Then chapter 18 happened. Where if one thing went wrong, and we're talking shaky Stone RNG, then it's restart emblem, the chapter. Which makes soloing the game with seth much more difficult than one would think. (I still need help on that, tbh)

Sigurd... doesn't need to bank on a ton of crazy RNG, (Aside from Eldigan) nor does he need to dart around the map picking off stragglers for an easy access for the lord to seize the chapter. Sigurd IS the lord, and due to canto, he can seize and kill bosses on the same turn. His Silver sword, steel sword, and Ayra's brave sword are enough for him to make it through the first generation, considering there are enough kills to go around. And considering that FE 4's number of enemies is enough to get 100 kills on 3 different weapons (assuming that you killed EVERYTHING with Sigs), there's plenty of fresh game to hunt.

Seth is good, and I've tried soloing the game with seth. Then chapter 18 happened. Where if one thing went wrong, and we're talking shaky Stone RNG, then it's restart emblem, the chapter. Which makes soloing the game with seth much more difficult than one would think. (I still need help on that, tbh)

lmao that chapter completely screwed up My Seth Solo and I had to turtle like a mofo. I'm still stuck on The final boss because Seth can't handle that many enemies without getting completely raped. Sigurd doesn't even need to worry about that because Tyrfing is all he needs to make quick work out of Reptor's Squad.

lmao that chapter completely screwed up My Seth Solo and I had to turtle like a mofo. I'm still stuck on The final boss because Seth can't handle that many enemies without getting completely raped. Sigurd doesn't even need to worry about that because Tyrfing is all he needs to make quick work out of Reptor's Squad.

This guy gets it. Wait, is it better to train Seth's S rank to lances or swords? I'm thinking swords because his resistance isn't as well developed as his other stats, and the Auldulma (however you spell it) gives you +5 resistance.

I think S-Rank Swords is better as the res boost stacks with Pure Water and Barrier and will make Demon Light do almost no damage and you can freely wail at Formittis or force him to attack you at melee. Don't quote me on that though since i'm still stuck on that damn chapter.

Edited by Valkarian

• 2 years later...

Seth is the second best early pre-promote in the series. Seth has good growths and can easily OHKO certain enemies. Sigurs does that, but BETTER! Sigurd was, imo, the first lord that was broken. If the game was just about him, he'd be neutered to Magvel and back (and Magvel for the time is an OUTREALM!), but it isn't, so they were like, "F*** it. He's only going to be in the game for less than half of it, so let's give him great bases, godly growths, and a silver sword!" Even the god Seth can't say that. Also, Seth overplays the loyal knight thing. Sigurd is a noble who is trusting and protects those he knows and loves.