Which Fire Emblem Game Would You Like Remade?

112 members have voted

1. 1. Which One?

• Dark Dragon and Sword of Light
    • Gaiden
    • Mystery of the Emblem
    • Genealogy of the Holy War Only
    • Thracia 776 Only
    • Genealogy/Thracia
    • Binding Blade
    • Blazing Sword
    • Sacred Stones
    • Path of Radiance Only
    • Path of Radiance/Radiant Dawn
    • None
    • None, Focus on Making New Games
    • None, I Don't Trust IS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gaiden, because it needs it the most. I personally think the Elibe games don't need remakes...they're fine as they are.

However, I have some mixed, cautious feelings. I feel like IS would try to shoehorn in a dumb spotlight-stealing Mary/Gary Stue Avatar to take all attention and focus away from Alm and Celica. I also feel like they'd stupidly try to have everyone support everyone and have everyone be able to marry anyone, with dumb shoehorned children characters that have no business being there.

I've felt like Gaiden would be cool to see remade for a long while now, but I remain very very weary about it.

Gaiden, because it needs it the most. I personally think the Elibe games don't need remakes...they're fine as they are.

However, I have some mixed, cautious feelings. I feel like IS would try to shoehorn in a dumb spotlight-stealing Mary/Gary Stue Avatar to take all attention and focus away from Alm and Celica. I also feel like they'd stupidly try to have everyone support everyone and have everyone be able to marry anyone, with dumb shoehorned children characters that have no business being there.

I've felt like Gaiden would be cool to see remade for a long while now, but I remain very very weary about it.

An avatar is a very real possibility, but if FE12 is anything to go by, I don't think we'd have everyone able to marry everyone else (support conversations are likely, though), and I certainly don't think we'd have kids shoehorned in.

There's no real reason to. One of the interesting things about FE that sets it apart from quite a few series the fact that certain features from tend to go dormant over the course of the series and then turn up in later games, in almost random combinations. This gives each game quite a bit of uniqueness, so they never really become "outdated", so to speak. So a remake of these older games will be somewhat unnecessary.

I voted Binding Blade, mostly because it's a GBA game not available in English. I've played a rom of it, but a legit version would be cool.

What I'd really like is a combined Binding Blade-Blazing Sword game. For the most part I'd just like Binding Blade to be updated with better supports and more paired endings, but what would also interest me is a FE4-style children system where the pairings from Blazing Sword affect how some units in Binding Blade turn out. Nothing too fancy, just slightly adjusted growths, but it'd be interesting.

While I did vote "None, I don't trust IS", there are some things that would be nice to have rebalanced. One example (for one of the Tellius games) would be to have the Laguz use stones instead of the unreliable transformation gauge (and tone down the stats of the Laguz royalty). Otherwise it would ideally have touched up character models and perhaps some buffs/nerfs to various characters. I, like a few others, would like Micaiah to be able to use dark tomes so Radiant Dawn could have a dark magic user for more than just the second half of Part 4 on new game+, that way she could have an advantage over most of the mages in her chapters (and some enemy shamans/druids would be nice). We, of course, know that Intelligent Systems would not stop there. Besides the inclusion of a show-stealing Mary Sue avatar who can marry everyone, I fear that they would skimp on the world building as it would take away from the oh so perfect avatar. So no remakes (remember, this is the same developer who trivialized the Paper Mario games).

As an aside, having both Tellius games on disk would be a bit much as Radiant Dawn is already twice as long as a typical Fire Emblem game, which would mean that the end result would be a one really big package. (Although I would not be opposed to an HD rerelease).

Binding Blade. Marth got the localization treatment and finally got an English voice. It's Roy's turn to be in that limelight.

I'd be down for remaking any of the Japan-only games really, for the sake of finally localizing them over here (just translate Heroes of Light and Shadow and release it on the eShop. I think we in North America are still waiting for Shadow Dragon...)

I'm appalled that several of you think IS can't manage it just because they supposedly screwed up with the DS remakes; or that they'd oversaturate it with Avatars and marriage, simply because Awakening and Fates are the most recent (and most well-received) titles right now.

Have you no faith?

My biggest wondering regarding a Gaiden avatar is how they'd manage the route split with it. Would the avatar travel with just Alm or Celica? Would you only get to play one of the routes like in the Sacred Stones? Would you travel between the two routes with just that one unit thus giving them way more exp exposure than anyone else? Only way I can really resolve it is having two avatars which would be really strange but could potentially work (would prevent mass adulation on a single person at least).

I'm appalled that several of you think IS can't manage it just because they supposedly screwed up with the DS remakes; or that they'd oversaturate it with Avatars and marriage, simply because Awakening and Fates are the most recent (and most well-received) titles right now.

Have you no faith?

Nope, I don't. I'd like the plot to be left alone, maybe with some changes to account for FE7 in the case of FE6, and like I said, there's a fine line between doing too little and doing too much.

I don't have any faith in IS to do that given their recent acts.

Maybe Sword of Seals. Definitely not Binding Blade though.

This is just the same game twice.

Anyway, I think it'd be interesting to see a two-in-one Elibe remake. Binding Blade will give them a place to put the inevitable child characters that will actually make sense, and Blazing Sword already had an "Avatar" in the form of Mark. As long as they don't change Mark's role in the story or find some way of shoehorning in kids for the Binding Blade cast and also all of Blazing Sword's cast into Roy's story, I think it could be pretty decent.

Gaiden is the only game that NEEDS a remake IMO. An updated UI and graphics, combined with remastering that great OST would be the update that it needs, as long as it keeps the gameplay ideas that made Gaiden.....well, Gaiden.

Heck, I could even (barely) tolerate an overpowered MU that stole the show and could marry Celica for all I care.

Edited by Bullwine85

Pokemon Firered/Leafgreen/HeartGold/SoulSilver/Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire

Metroid: Zero Mission

Kirby: Nightmare in Dreamland

Final Fantasy X HD

Ocarina of Time 3D

Super Mario 64 DS

Someone of those are more so remasters (Such as Final Fantasy 10 HD) than full blown remakes, but yeah. But yeah. I can't say that remakes are always terrible

Honestly, after Fates, I'm not sure Intelligent Systems should touch an older installment until they figure out just what went wrong and how they can learn from their mistakes and move forward. As it stands now, if they were to remake Sacred Stones, they'd probably include a self-insert who saves Lyon with the power of friendship and becomes king in his stead.

I don't think current IS would be willing to keep the cool concepts Kaga had in the past games, so I'd rather them not touch 4 or 5 ever. They'd bastardize them, they did alright with 1 and 3's revamps, but they still changed a lot.

I guess out of the Post-Kaga era, Binding Blade would be cool to see in a revamped style though, with supports not being nearly impossible to get, the story is simple, doesn't need anything added to it, (although they probably would try to mess it up like in New Mystery).

Just needs some rebalancing and you're golden, but do keep the challenge of HM please.

Edited by Jedi

• 2 weeks later...

Honestly, after Fates, I'm not sure Intelligent Systems should touch an older installment until they figure out just what went wrong and how they can learn from their mistakes and move forward. As it stands now, if they were to remake Sacred Stones, they'd probably include a self-insert who saves Lyon with the power of friendship and becomes king in his stead.

Ah, but you misunderstand. In their eyes, literally nothing went wrong since the game sold so many copies.

At first, I voted for Genealogy + Thracia, since it kind of makes sense story-wise, with Thracia nestled between the two generations. Then I remembered the stark differences in structure and mechanics between the two games. A remake would either need to either feature parts with discordant styles, or adjust the way the game is played in one or both cases. It would be pretty jarring to go from FE4's giant "sure, bring everybody" maps to FE5's more traditional maps. So I switched my vote to Genealogy only, as it's one of the most unique games in the series, and a genuinely fun experience. With awesome music, too!

Personally, I think I'm more permissive than most in terms of remakes. In that, I'm fine with some mechanical changes (in fact, there are some I desire). First, I'll explain what I absolutely, positively would not want to see changed:

- The giant map system. This is one of Genealogy's defining traits, and love it or hate it, it's hard to deny that FE4 with standard-sized maps would be a very different game indeed. My favorite element is the way that the maps even piece together, to form the whole world - the northern portion of one becomes the southern section of the next, for example.

- The plot. Now, I'm not in love with Genealogy's plot or anything, but it's clear that the game's creators put serious thought into the story they told. I would be fine with some added elaboration or further characterization, so long as the original details are not contradicted.

- The holy blood system. Another one of Genealogy's most defining traits.

- Being able to repair weapons.

- Getting to marry, and form babbies. Basic stuff here.

As for some things I actually would want to see changed and/or introduced:

- Characterization. Genealogy, like its predecessors in the series, don't give much personality to many of their characters. For some, their only characterization comes when you recruit them, and when they die. I'd like to see that change. This could be done through a support system, somewhat similar to the one seen in Awakening and Fates, as an expansion on the existent "lover" system. Alternatively, Genealogy's occasional battlefield conversations (sometimes giving stat boosts, or new items) could be expanded upon so that every character gets at least one, while keeping the lover system intact.

- Graphical updates, should be pretty obvious. Coming back to Jugdral in glorious 3D, y'all.

- Voice acting would be cool. Not necessarily every word, but in a similar style to Awakening and Fates (some words during conversation and battle).

- Branching promotions. Potentially one of the more controversial ones, but I've always enjoyed branching promotions, as a way to customize your experience between different playthroughs. The FE Binary hack already does this, although I'd like to see 2-per-class as much as possible.

- Balancing, balancing, balancing. Some might say that the incredible imbalance of Genealogy is a defining trait, and they're not entirely wrong. But in this case, I'm leaning toward making a good and enjoyable game over integrity to the original. This would involve nerfing holy weapons somewhat (say, change +10 boosts to +5, drop Mt from 30 to 25), granting new skills to not-so-good characters (Arden with Critical, Dew with Pursuit, for example), and generally changing stats around. In a game where you can field your whole army, I'd like for it to feel like everyone's really participating and growing, without centralization on units like Quan or Shanan.

Anyway, just my thoughts. I'd love to see a Genealogy of the Holy War remake, but if IS decides they're going onto another new Fire Emblem, that's fine too.

Gaiden.

If they improve the game, great, if they don't, it doesn't make a difference, if the somehow made it worse, the game goes from a 2/10 to a 1/10, either way, it's a no-loss sittuation.

Edited by OakTree

A FE6/7 integrated remake that ties in better in terms of characters and backstory. (What the hell happened to Lyn in FE6?!) Also, rebalancing of units (both player and enemy) and weapons in FE6, instead of the blatant playability-disparity discrimination against several units like Axe-users, Armor Knights, Sophia etc.