General Parenting Thread

Rezzy

On 7/2/2018 at 8:27 AM, Shoblongoo said:

Thanks guys! Next ultrasound is tomorrow. Hoping for more good news. 

If its a girl--Lily. Definitely Lily.

If its a boy--still trying to figure that one out. Contenders atm are Aiden, Ryan, and Sam. Don't really have any boys names that we're in love with yet  

Lily's a cute name for sure.

I love Ryan and Sam.  Aiden isn't bad per se, but it seems that half of all the boys born recently have a name that rhymes with Aiden: Jayden, Kaden, Braden, etc, so I guess I'm just a bit burnt out on that one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 6 months later...

She's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image may contain: one or more people, people sleeping, baby and closeup

^^^ 6 lb 3 oz + 19 inches long at birth. (tiny little thing)

Spent a few days in the NICU, but she's home and healthy and a week old now.

Image may contain: 1 person, sleeping and closeup

Thats my girl!!!!!!

Edited by Shoblongoo

41 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

She's here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Image may contain: one or more people, people sleeping, baby and closeup

^^^ 6 lb 3 oz + 19 inches long at birth. (tiny little thing)

Spent a few days in the NICU, but she's home and healthy and a week old now.

Image may contain: 1 person, sleeping and closeup

Thats my girl!!!!!!

Congrats, though don't try to tell your wife she was tiny until well after recovery.

What's her name?

18 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Congrats, though don't try to tell your wife she was tiny until well after recovery.

What's her name?

Went with Lily. 

Wife knows about the size--she was the same size as a baby.

Apparently ethnically Chinese babies run about half a pound lower on average at birthweight than American babies (blacks, whites, and hispanics all average varying degrees of bigger baby). So Lily's a peanut by our percentiles, but the in-laws ran the numbers by some doctors back in Taiwan and they said her size is perfectly normal on their charts.  

Only reason she was in the NICU was because wife was running a fever when she delivered and there was some meconium staining, so they wanted to do a few days of antiseptic monitoring to make sure the baby didn't catch an infection.

She's fine. Sent her home with a clean bill of health.  

Gettin' use to the whole dad thing now. 

_______

Thanks @Dragoncat :lol:

Edited by Shoblongoo

8 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Went with Lily. 

Wife knows about the size--she was the same size as a baby.

Apparently ethnically Chinese babies run about half a pound lower on average at birthweight than American babies (blacks, whites, and hispanics all average varying degrees of bigger baby). So Lily's a peanut by our percentiles, but the in-laws ran the numbers by some doctors back in Taiwan and they said her size is perfectly normal on their charts.  

Only reason she was in the NICU was because wife was running a fever when she delivered and there was some meconium staining, so they wanted to do a few days of antiseptic monitoring to make sure the baby didn't catch an infection.

She's fine. Sent her home with a clean bill of health.  

Gettin' use to the whole dad thing now. 

_______

Thanks @Dragoncat :lol:

I was more referring to even a "small" baby not feeling small coming out.

I think I was around that size when I was born, and I was two weeks late, though both my kids were in the 7 lbs range.

Wow, she is tiny! Slightly smaller than I was (6 lbs, 5 oz). But adorable! Little girls are the best too, because of all those super cute clothes they get! You're gonna have fun dressing her up in those little dresses and stuff. ^^

Btw, I named one of my FE OCs Lily, and so did Dragoncat! lol My Lily is a fire mage and a cute little sister to another OC character. They don't have any relation to canon ones. Dcat's is her fan kid for Rolf and Mist, if memory serves.

Edited by Anacybele

Not gonna lie. I was campaigning to get “Lilina” on the birth certificate, but my wife wasn’t going for it. I guess you could say I didn’t hector her enough :awesome: (dammit—already starting with the bad dad jokes) 

Edited by Shoblongoo

18 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

Not gonna lie. I was campaigning to get “Lilina” on the birth certificate, but my wife wasn’t going for it. I guess you could say I didn’t hector her enough :awesome: (dammit—already starting with the bad dad jokes) 

That's just awesome. Lilina would have been cute too!

And yep, my Lily is Rolf and Mist's daughter.

1 hour ago, Shoblongoo said:

What middle name did you go with?

Keep going by all means.  Gotta appreciate a good dad joke.

6 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Renee. 

Soooooooooooo...Parenthood...

Image may contain: text

How did people do this before coffee???

I never drink coffee.  It just makes you think you need it, instead of waking up the old fashioned way.

3 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

I never drink coffee.  It just makes you think you need it, instead of waking up the old fashioned way.

This. Thank you.

My parents won't stop telling me. "You will see/need it when you will become a parent yourself." :dry:

31 minutes ago, Nym said:

My parents won't stop telling me. "You will see/need it when you will become a parent yourself." :dry:

...I see the wisdom in this...

35 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

waking up the old fashioned way

Related image

Edited by Shoblongoo

45 minutes ago, Nym said:

This. Thank you.

I made it through college, med school, residency, and two kids without coffee, so you can too.

15 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

...I see the wisdom in this...

Related image

I find moving around and doing things wakes me up more than caffeine does.

16 hours ago, Rezzy said:

I made it through college, med school, residency, and two kids without coffee, so you can too.

I find moving around and doing things wakes me up more than caffeine does.

I didn't drink it at all in college or law school. 

When I started working in law offices there was always a coffee machine in the conference room--it just sorta became a morning ritual. Worse ways to start the day.

Last night was rough. Past few days the baby slept good between feedings, but last night was just a nonstop stream of crying and spit-ups and dirty diapers.

Gonna go brew me a cup right now.  

30 minutes ago, Shoblongoo said:

I didn't drink it at all in college or law school. 

When I started working in law offices there was always a coffee machine in the conference room--it just sorta became a morning ritual. Worse ways to start the day.

Last night was rough. Past few days the baby slept good between feedings, but last night was just a nonstop stream of crying and spit-ups and dirty diapers.

Gonna go brew me a cup right now.  

The first few months are rough.  If you have any questions, I can try to share my survival tips.