General Parenting Thread

Rezzy

My cousin became daddy last year. I became godfather of his daughter.

She's so incredibly adorable. Always smiling whenever I look at her and play with her and she's so calm when I hold her.

Wanted to post a photo with her and me but my mobile phone crushed. :( Guess it has to wait till the next visit...

Still I don't want to have any kids... but if the baby was like her... I might do an exception.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aww, I love how observant they are! And ooh, red hair!

I still have my dad's parents left, although his dad is soon to be 93 and had two heart attacks ten years ago - a third is pretty much guaranteed to kill him. He really overhauled his life, though, and is verrrry careful not to over-exert himself, hence he's managed to hang on!

Flying with kids is pretty terrible; if it wasn't for having family abroad I'd have waited longer. The worst time to fly is whenever they start crawling to about 2.5 years. After 2.5 Anya grew more interested in sitting and watching movies. When Anya was 9 months, she was recovering from norovirus when we flew back to the US, and she had 6 blowouts. That was pretty bad. And Niko was awful last summer - didn't sleep and was super restless.

My mom's mom just turned 94 a few days ago, and my dad's mom is 85, I think. Leo's usually pretty well behaved when we go out, but Est hates her car seat. As long as someone's holding her, she's great, but you can't really do that while traveling. I try to make a point to compliment Leo on how well behaved he is, and hopefully, Est will catch on as she gets older.

My cousin became daddy last year. I became godfather of his daughter.

She's so incredibly adorable. Always smiling whenever I look at her and play with her and she's so calm when I hold her.

Wanted to post a photo with her and me but my mobile phone crushed. :( Guess it has to wait till the next visit...

Still I don't want to have any kids... but if the baby was like her... I might do an exception.

That's cute, my oldest niece is my goddaughter. I tried to return the favor and have my sister be Leo's godmother, but I haven't been able to have Leo baptized, yet.

You still have time to decide whether you want kids or not, especially if you adopt.

Also, your avatar looks like she skinned Teepo.

• 3 weeks later...

omg did you ACTUALLY name your daughter Est because that's amazing. (Actually a cute name as well)

My kid is Ryan, we called him Rybread because he was the bun in the oven lol. He's 15 months and somehow manages to be both a troublemaker and a good kid. x3

Ok just out of curiosity and this might seem a bit off topic or way too off topic depending on how you think of it...but....

how are you guys finding the time to play Fire Emblem if you got your kids to take care of?!?!

It's 6:20am for me, my kid usually gets up pretty consistently at 6. In the morning he's pretty chill for a few hours so I put on youtube videos of Sesame Street and Game Grumps and other stuff (we don't have cable lol) and can usually squeeze in some playtime then if I decide not to try to catch another hour or so of snoozes. He also goes to bed about 12 hours later so I have a few hours at night after he's gone to sleep to play too (though it usually involves neglecting chores like cleaning up the living room and stuff... but uhhh... ehhh fuck it it's not that bad lol).

Anyway, my kid is smart and it's cute haha.

A couple weeks ago he saw me hit the light switch in our living room and tried to work it himself; showed him how it worked and he didn't quite get it. A few days ago I demonstrated it again and then let him try, and he got it both ways x3 Whenever I bring him in here to let my insomniac wife catch up on sleep I let him turn on the light switch now, I think he likes being helpful xD Or maybe he just likes pressing buttons. Either way I give him encouragement for it lol

EDIT: I'm not quite awake enough to keep working on any of my FE runs so I'm gonna keep gushing lol.

OMFG I almost forgot but he passed out on the floor yesterday, which he never does, IT WAS CUTE (picture courtesy of offloading all my pictures off my phone to make room for Heroes lol....)20170127_133403.jpg

We also discovered something that scares him the other day lol

So we play the Pixlpit game grump animations for him a lot 'cause they're cute and he likes their voices, and a day or two ago he was watching this one... when Palpatine popped at the end he got scared and started crying real bad TwT It was sad but like.... also kinda hilarious... ;; AND THE WEIRD THING IS he's seen the video before! I guess maybe he wasn't really paying attention the other times or something?? It's interesting to see how things can change lol.... After his mom comforted him we put some other stuff on for a few minutes, then put the video on again to verify AND HE STARTED CRYING IN ANTICIPATION BEFORE IT HAPPENED. Then again when it actually did.... poor kid, haha.... (before, the only other thing that ever scared him was some video of a parrot kicking open a door and laughing maniacally, hell if I know why... it doesn't scare him any more lol...)

OMFG he's headbanging at the TV right now. My metal-loving kid haha

EDIT AGAIN: AHHH okay last thing! I almost forgot, but this is the frickin' Fire Emblem forum and I almost forgot my most relevant baby-related story @w@

Okay so. Get this. MY KID HAS A CRUSH ON TIKI TOO. LIKE FATHER LIKE SON LMAO

This recent summer we had a friend from out of state visit and stay with us for Anime Expo, and she brought Tokyo Mirage Sessions so she could play it and we could check it out, right? Well get this, whenever Tiki was on screen, Rybread WAS FREAKIN MESMERIZED WITH HER HAHAHA. To the point where he would actually protest and complain when she wasn't on screen! xDDD Shit's great... Yeah he likes hearing her talk I guess lol.... He thinks she's cute and likes hearing what she has to say hahahahaa

Edited by BANRYU

8 hours ago, BANRYU said:

My kid is Ryan, we called him Rybread because he was the bun in the oven lol. He's 15 months and somehow manages to be both a troublemaker and a good kid. x3

Aw, Rybread is a really cute nickname! Welcome to the thread!

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

Ok just out of curiosity and this might seem a bit off topic or way too off topic depending on how you think of it...but....

how are you guys finding the time to play Fire Emblem if you got your kids to take care of?!?

1. At work, on my breaks.

2. Last year in particular, I was still breastfeeding my youngest and he was waking up a lot during the evening/night. So I got a lot of playtime in while lying in bed with him and getting him back to sleep, or giving him his evening/morning feed. My oldest was going to bed pretty consistently at 7.30 pm, too.

3. I also didn't get enough sleep... sometimes it was because the kids were waking so often, but a few times I was just fitting in playtime in the early hours of the morning.

BANRYU - that's so cute that he shares your crush! Meanwhile Anya says her favourite character is Camilla, bleugh. At least she married Leo...

I'm no longer concerned about Niko's words; he's at least on par now with where Anya was at his age. His pronunciation is getting better, although he's still pretty hard to understand at times. His vocabulary is great and he's starting to use phrases.

Both kids were pretty good in England, and on the flights. The worst part was Niko vomited all over me, himself and the seat just as we landed on the runway. Also Anya had a random 104 fever for 24 hours the day of the funeral, but she was fully recovered the next day. So bizarre that it was so high!

6 minutes ago, Res said:

I also didn't get enough sleep... sometimes it was because the kids were waking so often, but a few times I was just fitting in playtime in the early hours of the morning.

BANRYU - that's so cute that he shares your crush! Meanwhile Anya says her favourite character is Camilla, bleugh. At least she married Leo...

Both kids were pretty good in England, and on the flights. The worst part was Niko vomited all over me, himself and the seat just as we landed on the runway. Also Anya had a random 104 fever for 24 hours the day of the funeral, but she was fully recovered the next day. So bizarre that it was so high!

Thank you! ^___^

Ahh yeah I can sympathize, my wife often has trouble sleeping too ;; usually I take him from 6 to around noon right now while I'm looking for work to let her catch up... Hopefully she'll be able to maintain a more normalized sleep schedule when I find work and she'll need to get up sooner .-. I'm a little worried about it but she's a tough gal... hopefully it'll work out.

Hey, Camilla's not so bad ~3o She's pretty and she's got a great hair color. (*cough*)

Ahh no! Sorry to hear about the vomiting thing, that sucks x___x That high fever is really scary as well, glad she's okay though.

ohhhhh the airflight thing reminds me......

....so uhh.... Rybread spilled Dr. Pepper on the PRESIDENT of the Dr. Pepper company while he and his mom were flying to Texas to visit her family for a few days haha ;;; IDK how I keep forgetting that beautiful irony, it might be his most legendary exploit

Edited by BANRYU

Camilla's appearance is why Anya loves her so much! Her favourite color is purple. (Also my husband married Tharja in Awakening, hehe). 

On the plus side, Niko's first three-syllable word was Takumi. 

Luckily I had packed spare outfits in my carry-on, so we found a family bathroom and changed there before meeting my mom (didn't think she'd want two vomit-drenched people in her car on the two hour ride to her house, haha).

And that story is hilarious! How did the president react? Definitely one for the baby books!

9 hours ago, BANRYU said:

omg did you ACTUALLY name your daughter Est because that's amazing. (Actually a cute name as well)

Yeah, her legal name is Esther, but that's a name for special occasions or when she's misbehaving.  Sometimes, we call her Messy Essie, since babies are liable to be so.

4 hours ago, Harvey said:

how are you guys finding the time to play Fire Emblem if you got your kids to take care of?!?!

Fire Emblem is actually a better game for when you have kids to take care of, because it's turn-based, so you can pause at any time, and don't need to devote full attention to it.

I used to play WoW a lot more, but that is much harder to do with kids.

2 hours ago, BANRYU said:

It's 6:20am for me, my kid usually gets up pretty consistently at 6. In the morning he's pretty chill for a few hours so I put on youtube videos of Sesame Street and Game Grumps and other stuff (we don't have cable lol) and can usually squeeze in some playtime then if I decide not to try to catch another hour or so of snoozes. He also goes to bed about 12 hours later so I have a few hours at night after he's gone to sleep to play too (though it usually involves neglecting chores like cleaning up the living room and stuff... but uhhh... ehhh fuck it it's not that bad lol).

Anyway, my kid is smart and it's cute haha.

A couple weeks ago he saw me hit the light switch in our living room and tried to work it himself; showed him how it worked and he didn't quite get it. A few days ago I demonstrated it again and then let him try, and he got it both ways x3 Whenever I bring him in here to let my insomniac wife catch up on sleep I let him turn on the light switch now, I think he likes being helpful xD Or maybe he just likes pressing buttons. Either way I give him encouragement for it lol

EDIT: I'm not quite awake enough to keep working on any of my FE runs so I'm gonna keep gushing lol.

OMFG I almost forgot but he passed out on the floor yesterday, which he never does, IT WAS CUTE (picture courtesy of offloading all my pictures off my phone to make room for Heroes lol....)20170127_133403.jpg

We also discovered something that scares him the other day lol

So we play the Pixlpit game grump animations for him a lot 'cause they're cute and he likes their voices, and a day or two ago he was watching this one... when Palpatine popped at the end he got scared and started crying real bad TwT It was sad but like.... also kinda hilarious... ;; AND THE WEIRD THING IS he's seen the video before! I guess maybe he wasn't really paying attention the other times or something?? It's interesting to see how things can change lol.... After his mom comforted him we put some other stuff on for a few minutes, then put the video on again to verify AND HE STARTED CRYING IN ANTICIPATION BEFORE IT HAPPENED. Then again when it actually did.... poor kid, haha.... (before, the only other thing that ever scared him was some video of a parrot kicking open a door and laughing maniacally, hell if I know why... it doesn't scare him any more lol...)

OMFG he's headbanging at the TV right now. My metal-loving kid haha

EDIT AGAIN: AHHH okay last thing! I almost forgot, but this is the frickin' Fire Emblem forum and I almost forgot my most relevant baby-related story @w@

Okay so. Get this. MY KID HAS A CRUSH ON TIKI TOO. LIKE FATHER LIKE SON LMAO

This recent summer we had a friend from out of state visit and stay with us for Anime Expo, and she brought Tokyo Mirage Sessions so she could play it and we could check it out, right? Well get this, whenever Tiki was on screen, Rybread WAS FREAKIN MESMERIZED WITH HER HAHAHA. To the point where he would actually protest and complain when she wasn't on screen! xDDD Shit's great... Yeah he likes hearing her talk I guess lol.... He thinks she's cute and likes hearing what she has to say hahahahaa

That's cute.  Leo's tall enough to reach the light switch now, so unfortunately, he'll flick them on and off when he can.  He's actually a bit tall for his age, now.  He's on pace to be over 6' at least, right now.  I think he was 80th percentile or so.

Leo got scared by this Tasmanian Devil doll thing that had its mouth open and teeth exposed.

28 minutes ago, Res said:

1. At work, on my breaks.

2. Last year in particular, I was still breastfeeding my youngest and he was waking up a lot during the evening/night. So I got a lot of playtime in while lying in bed with him and getting him back to sleep, or giving him his evening/morning feed. My oldest was going to bed pretty consistently at 7.30 pm, too.

3. I also didn't get enough sleep... sometimes it was because the kids were waking so often, but a few times I was just fitting in playtime in the early hours of the morning.

I'm no longer concerned about Niko's words; he's at least on par now with where Anya was at his age. His pronunciation is getting better, although he's still pretty hard to understand at times. His vocabulary is great and he's starting to use phrases.

That's too bad.  It seems there's always people getting sick on planes.  I remember after I got back from Europe, I had a fever for a few days afterwards.

Leo likes grabbing my 3DS and playing it.  Often, he just likes rearranging all the icons on the menu.  Fire Emblem's a bit too complex, but it wouldn't surprise me if he plays it soon.

You don't have time for much during the day, but we usually have a few hours in the evening. Kids are asleep around 7.30 pm. We clean for about 1-2 hrs, go for a 30 minute walk (my inlaws are in the same building so we leave our connecting door open so they can listen out for  the kids if need be), then have a couple of hours for TV/gaming/hobbies before bed. 

21 minutes ago, Res said:

Camilla's appearance is why Anya loves her so much! Her favourite color is purple. (Also my husband married Tharja in Awakening, hehe). 

On the plus side, Niko's first three-syllable word was Takumi. 

Luckily I had packed spare outfits in my carry-on, so we found a family bathroom and changed there before meeting my mom (didn't think she'd want two vomit-drenched people in her car on the two hour ride to her house, haha).

And that story is hilarious! How did the president react? Definitely one for the baby books!

The funny thing is Tharja and Camilla aren't even my waifus of choice, I just like them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

OMG NICE. Ryan was growing up a lot during a period when my wife was getting way into Undertale; whenever he hears Megalovania he'll sometimes say 'bad time' hahaha. The kid loves Sans, my wife has several plushies of him and Ryan gets very happy when he sees them.

and ohhh the DP guy? I don't remember exactly since I wasn't there but I think my wife said that he seemed like he was trying to be polite, but was probably pretty annoyed =w= the drink got in his laptop, I think .3. so.... understandable haha ;; I'm not sure if he appreciated the irony or not but here's hoping he'll be able to in retrospect xDDD

7 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Sometimes, we call her Messy Essie, since babies are liable to be so.

Fire Emblem is actually a better game for when you have kids to take care of, because it's turn-based, so you can pause at any time, and don't need to devote full attention to it.

That's cute.  Leo's tall enough to reach the light switch now, so unfortunately, he'll flick them on and off when he can.  He's actually a bit tall for his age, now.  He's on pace to be over 6' at least, right now.  I think he was 80th percentile or so.

Leo got scared by this Tasmanian Devil doll thing that had its mouth open and teeth exposed.

Leo likes grabbing my 3DS and playing it.  Often, he just likes rearranging all the icons on the menu.  Fire Emblem's a bit too complex, but it wouldn't surprise me if he plays it soon.

CUUUUUUTE ahhh I really want a girl too. Here's hoping our next one is ;;;

@ the Taz thing ahaha that's cute xD and slightly understandable I think heh...

oh man yeah Ryan likes playing with electronics even this early too haha. He hasn't been able to DO much with it yet, but he's figured out that he can manipulate the touch screens and slide things around, and loves doing that. When we were flying home for the holidays we were on the fanciest-ass plane I've ever been on, little touch-screen entertainment stations built into the backs of the seats, and he loved sliding things around on that too heh. 

2 minutes ago, Christianguy7 said:

I don't knw how people with kids have time for anything? Maybe it's because I've been watching "Who's your daddy?" on youtube. Very weird game. 

That game is not actually too far off from the truth ;;; IRL kids don't actually KNOW what will kill them of course, but it's a good analogue for their relentless curiosity haha ;; My kid loves to play with water, and if he gets out of his little containment area in the family room while the bathroom is open, he'll make a break for it and try to stick his hands in the toilet. 

One time he got ahold of one of my button pins I got at AX and tried to stick it in his mouth; I managed to grab it off him and good thing too, because the sharp part of the pin was raised and he was gettin' ready to stab himself in the mouth .-. score one for dragon dad =w=;;;;; Luckily I don't think he's tried anything more dangerous than that as far as I can recall...

1 hour ago, BANRYU said:

@ the Taz thing ahaha that's cute xD and slightly understandable I think heh...

It's funny, since he has a chair that has Taz on it, and it doesn't bother him.  I guess it's just the teeth being bared that scares him.

5 hours ago, BANRYU said:

This reminds me of my godson, when he learnt that the oven has all these knobs and buttons that are really fun to play with. His parents were less than thrilled though for some reason :P: (They now take out the knobs when it's not being used)

Anyways, what a cute young lad you have! That Dr Pepper story is hilarious, and the pic is really adorable.

@Res Glad to hear your trip went mostly well. Also good those vomit/fever episodes weren't anything that last longer. Just curious about Anya's fever, could the funeral day have caused her stress somehow? I was apparently prone to getting high but quick fevers in stressful situations when I was around 3 or so, could it have been something similar?

1 hour ago, Sylphid said:

This reminds me of my godson, when he learnt that the oven has all these knobs and buttons that are really fun to play with. His parents were less than thrilled though for some reason :P: (They now take out the knobs when it's not being used)

Anyways, what a cute young lad you have! That Dr Pepper story is hilarious, and the pic is really adorable.

Ahh thank you! ....AHHHH HE DID IT AGAIN. HE FRICKIN'... FELL ASLEEP IN HIS PLAY ROCKER THAT HE WAS HANGING OUT IN. AGH I CAN'T TAKE THIS CUTE

@Res Yeah I imagine funerals must be very boring for young kids. It's good she only told it to you though, a cousin's son wondered very loudly in my aunt's funeral what kind of party was it where nobody says anything. The priest didn't seem amused, to say the least (the family was pretty chill about it though, lots of young kids so everyone's used to it)

17 hours ago, Res said:

@Sylphid it's possible! She found the funeral very boring, and kept telling me so (luckily no one else heard her...) 

@BANRYU that's so cute! My two have almost never fallen asleep except in their beds or car seats.

I know it's great! xD AAAAGGGHH I'M SO MAD THOUGHHHH I DELETED MY PICTURE OF IT BY ACCIDENT WHILE I WAS IN BED LAST NIGHT Dx  last time I try deleting extra pictures while I'm frickin' mostly-asleep... stupid, stupid, stupid...)

Okay I noticed your link in your sig and now I'm reading about Anya's exploits and heck dude, this is entertaining hahaha. I friggin' love that she doesn't give a shit about Xander, that's hilarious. Anya has good taste in castles as well hah. 

EDIT: OMFG LASLOW IS JASMINE. BRILLIANT

again: HAHAHA THE BUTT WEAPONS. HOLY SHIT

ahhhh nooo sorry to hear about the asthma thing Dx but oh my gosh the video, so cute x w x

Edited by BANRYU

• 2 weeks later...

Aw, what a good brother!

Anya and Niko are either as sweet as sweet can be, or fighting like cat and dog, so... normal sibling behaviour, really. ;) Overall they're very considerate of one another - always asking after the other, saying goodnight to one another, giving hugs and kisses, etc. Niko won't let me give him anything without saying 'Aya (his name for her) too?' 

Niko's language has really picked up and he's begun to ask the dreaded 'why'. We actually skipped this stage with Anya; she never did the 'why, why, why' that some toddlers do. We may not be so lucky to avoid it the second time round. We have proper conversations with him. His pronunciation isn't great but it's slowly getting better. He's begun to recognize colors (yesterday he asked for the black play-doh, then correctly identified red and blue paints) and count.

Like Anya, his A vowel in particular sounds really odd. There must be something about the combination of British and Californian accents in their lives that causes them to murder their As, haha. For example, 'okay' is 'oh-ki' (to rhyme with sky). 

He's always been independent for his age but he's kicking it up a notch. His favourite phrase is 'i isself' (by myself).

On 2/14/2017 at 0:03 PM, Res said:

Aw, what a good brother!

Anya and Niko are either as sweet as sweet can be, or fighting like cat and dog, so... normal sibling behaviour, really. ;) Overall they're very considerate of one another - always asking after the other, saying goodnight to one another, giving hugs and kisses, etc. Niko won't let me give him anything without saying 'Aya (his name for her) too?' 

Niko's language has really picked up and he's begun to ask the dreaded 'why'. We actually skipped this stage with Anya; she never did the 'why, why, why' that some toddlers do. We may not be so lucky to avoid it the second time round. We have proper conversations with him. His pronunciation isn't great but it's slowly getting better. He's begun to recognize colors (yesterday he asked for the black play-doh, then correctly identified red and blue paints) and count.

Like Anya, his A vowel in particular sounds really odd. There must be something about the combination of British and Californian accents in their lives that causes them to murder their As, haha. For example, 'okay' is 'oh-ki' (to rhyme with sky). 

He's always been independent for his age but he's kicking it up a notch. His favourite phrase is 'i isself' (by myself).

Leo's name for Est is Ossie, he can't say the eh quite yet.  He can count to 9 and knows all his letters and colors.  We have letter and number magnets, and if we ask him to grab one, he can go and pick it off the fridge.

• 4 weeks later...

Ossie is such a cute nickname!

I was up late last night completing paperwork for Anya to enroll in kindergarten. :o

She stared at my face the other day and said, "Mommy, I think I see blue and purple being reflected from the window. Or is that just magic sewn into your eyes?" I wrote it down immediately because I loved her turn of phrase and it's so typical of how simultaneously creepy/sweet she is.

On 3/15/2017 at 2:47 PM, Res said:

Ossie is such a cute nickname!

I was up late last night completing paperwork for Anya to enroll in kindergarten. :o

She stared at my face the other day and said, "Mommy, I think I see blue and purple being reflected from the window. Or is that just magic sewn into your eyes?" I wrote it down immediately because I loved her turn of phrase and it's so typical of how simultaneously creepy/sweet she is.

Thanks, we've got Leo all set to go for pre-school now, it's weird to think he's already almost 3.

Est's hair is starting to come in, after most of it fell out.  It's sort of a sandy blonde at the moment.  I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Spoiler

57e20f81-a9a9-4f3c-b0b9-8125ca64f090_zps

4 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

Est's hair is starting to come in, after most of it fell out.  It's sort of a sandy blonde at the moment.  I guess we'll see how it turns out.

Reveal hidden contents

57e20f81-a9a9-4f3c-b0b9-8125ca64f090_zps

Yes! Another one in the blond squad, let's go :P.

I hope for her that is hair doesn't end being curly or too curly, it's very hard to use the hair brush once your hair has completely grown.