What went wrong with Fates overall story?(Spoilers!)

Harvey

I've beaten all the three paths without getting the DLC and I can say that to me....the overall story is a mix bag with some strong points but lots of weak points as well.

This topic is discussing what went wrong with the direction of the overall story and why despite getting a well known story writer (atleast in Japan alone) it still failed to deliver the thrill it was suppose to.

Let's throw the arguable separate path purchase away as that has nothing to do with the overall story writing.

To me I felt Conquest story was very deep from the start to the midway until the ending which made me a bit disappointed. If the ending was polished a bit, I can say that Conquest's story alone could have been on par with Holy War's meaning that it would have been the best story ever.

Birthright's story is too cliche and didn't have many dark elements like how the reviewers claimed(there's only one or two dark moments but that's just it)

Revelations is.....well more of a mix bag as it didn't deliver enough to make me feel that this was the ultimate of the three. You do get occasional surprises like Gunter being bad all of a sudden but it didn't deliver the surprise enough.

And for the record, I get that Nintendo's always about gameplay than they are to story but I feel that they can do wonders if they tried and they did try it here....its just that well seeing how stories like Holy war didn't need a famous story writer to make it great, why the sudden change for that?

I'm not complaining about the overall Fates here as the gameplay really tops over the story and you do get your money's worth for the content that all the three paths offer you. I'm just talking about the bitter disappointment that the story ends up being which is the least best part in the overall fates and that's all.

Edited by Harvey

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In a shellnut? Everything.

"Hey we hired a manga writer to tell the story of your self insert half dragon half sue who is from nhorshido."

I'm really not certain why anyone had hopes for this plot aside from glorious shitposting, which it did in fact bring to the table. Gloriously.

Edited by joshcja

Frankly, I generally enjoyed the Fates story. For me it was the strong point of the game. (Coincidentally, I hated FE4, so maybe we're just on opposite ends of the taste spectrum haha)

Really, my only issue (which is an issue I have for every FE game honestly) is that the game sometimes tried to get too quickly to the next map and the writing kinda felt like it hurt for it. Whether that's because the game skipped giving basic world-building info (I don't really need to know how the Hoshidan government works because it's not relevant... but the continent name???), skipped filling out emotional drama (perhaps it's because I adore romance novels, but I'm a firm believer in the sort of dual conflict they employ), or used a throwaway device to get there (the crystal ball could've been reasonable if it had more context, but it's just there and gone for example). You can totally tell when gameplay comes before story, and FE's definitely that type of series.

Not touching actual subject matter so much, because that's even more subjective. I think we can mostly agree that the crystal ball and not having the name to the continent are kinda poor decisions, but whether or not the story should've been edgier or something isn't so cut and dry.

Edit: As for the story writer... yeah, I think that's kinda people getting their hopes up before the game was released. A lot of what I hear regarding that is 'it wasn't what I expected/wanted,' which... I have sympathy for of course, but... Anything's going to be worse than the fantasy story that you created because your fantasy story is exactly catered to you and has perfect execution because it doesn't actually rely on writing, ya know? Of course my ideal FE14 story is better imo than what we got haha, but I don't think that means the current story is bad.

And for that matter, my ideal FE14 story totally lacks general appeal, so from a mass game standpoint, it's probably not the best decision. Most of y'all probably don't want a YA fantasy/romance/drama with a Xander/f!Corrin/Ryoma love triangle, no Azura, no m!Corrin, and way more gay, right haha?

There's that sort of general appeal thing to consider, too, I think. And FE14 does have general appeal as it is, else the general video game reviewers would've mentioned a terrible story (iirc, the consensus was about average with highlights).

Edited by blinkingbrave

"Hey we hired a manga writer to tell the story of your self insert half dragon half sue who is from nhorshido."

I'm really not certain why anyone had hopes for this plot aside from glorious shitposting, which it did in fact bring to the table. Gloriously.

Because Nintendo advertised the shit out of the plot being good. That's why

My thought's on Fates' plot are kinda simple tbh, if was a first draft, I'd call it good for first draft standards, but since what they gave me was sold as a final product, it's just not good whatsoever. I don't think it's the worst plot in the series, but unlike the games I consider to have worse plots, I can see some solid potential in it if they were just willing to refine it a good deal. Fun fact, they apparently actually took the writer's first draft and ran with it for the entire plot

Edited by MemeCProductions

The whole plot, setting and premise of Fates is divided in three parts. Birthright has you defend your country, Conquest gives you a little introperspective in the evil kingdom, Revelations reveals the hidden force behind it all. A normal Fire Emblem is able to include all three factors within one single game (you fight an evil empire, you learn that the evil empire has a reason, you learn that there is a bigger treat behind the evil empire). Fates splits his plot in three parts, so each part is weak on it's own and requires much of filler to pass as a full game.

But they got more money this way, so it worked. You don't need to make one great game to sell well, when you get even more money by just selling three weak games.

In general I felt that they introduced a little too much storywise. There were a lot of neat ideas, but they were just ideas. In the story they introduced a new concept or element to the character and they did not elaborate on them (Dragonstones, going to Valla in Conquest). And it was a little inconsistent between the three paths, like in Birthright Azura tells Corrin a lot about her song and the consequences of it, but in Conquest and Revelation there was almost no talk of it, even though the song

Ended in Azura's death in all three paths.

Overall I enjoyed Fates, but it still felt like there was something missing. And based on the way they advertised I thought there would be more options within each branch that would slightly change the story, for example: In birthright you would have the option to spare Zola or let Leo/Hinoka kill him, and that decision would branch down two almost similar paths.

In general I felt that they introduced a little too much storywise. There were a lot of neat ideas, but they were just ideas. In the story they introduced a new concept or element to the character and they did not elaborate on them (Dragonstones, going to Valla in Conquest). And it was a little inconsistent between the three paths, like in Birthright Azura tells Corrin a lot about her song and the consequences of it, but in Conquest and Revelation there was almost no talk of it, even though the song

Ended in Azura's death in all three paths.

Overall I enjoyed Fates, but it still felt like there was something missing. And based on the way they advertised I thought there would be more options within each branch that would slightly change the story, for example: In birthright you would have the option to spare Zola or let Leo/Hinoka kill him, and that decision would branch down two almost similar paths.

Azura survives in Revelations

I was calmly drinking my water until I read this comment before laughing in spit

What I think was dumb is that they said the game would have many choices but it didin't the only choice was the path and in Conquest and Birthright the second was to let Shura live so I was pretty pumbed about it.

A single look at our dear sister Camilla should have been sufficient to show that IS had zero commitment towards the story. Although I am impressed that they struggle so much to write a player avatar who is not a self-centric and delusional asshole. For example even if the stupid plot devices are ignored, Corrin couldn't have been written to be more selfish in his decision to attack Hoshido. Even after all the atrocities that happened through Garon's orders, after all those petty threats and attempts at his life, even after learning that his siblings are terrified that he might just kill them on a whim, he still called the idea of acting against his father as "insane". And just to make things worse, his next line reveals that he didn't even think that Azura was suggesting killing Garon. He thought it was merely about "defeating and shaming" him. It's baffling that Corrin is somehow supposed to be a selfless paragon.

Edited by BrightBow

As someone that enjoys Fates' story for what it is, I can say that my major problem with it is that there's too much Royal bias going on. Whatever the Royals do, it's always perfect and unquestionable and everyone in the world kisses their collective asses.

Corrin in his/her supports excluded, as weird as that may sound. I have never seen any character who got that much crappy treatment in their supports as Corrin did, while all of the other Roylas get worshipped like gods. It gets on my nerves.

If we include the DLC, there is one scene in Heirs of Fate 2, I think it was, where Forrest ATTACKS A CRYING KANA WITH BRYNHILDR TO CALM HIM DOWN!!! In what universe is that ever considered right? And no one else there ever reprimanded him for it, because he's Forrest, Prince of Nohr! Glory be to him!

That scene made me hate Forrest, whom I already didn't care about, with a burning passion, almost as strong as my hatred towards Taku-douche and Xander the Wimpy. He can get killed by that Fighter next time for all I care.

Stemming from that: Severa, Owain and Inigo were also reduced to mere asskissers for our glorious, mighty Royals and they didn't have any impact on the plot whatsoever! No 'we have something to tell you' after you reach Valla, no 'we came to fulfill our promise you, Anankos!' when facing the Big Bad in battle. Nothing. They got shafted, because 'oh no! We must push the Royals in their face at all times! There's no way THESE three will get the spotlight! No, no, no!'

Sorry for losing my cool there, but that is what really bothered me about Fates' overall plot, supports and DLC included.

A single look at our dear sister Camilla should have been sufficient to show that IS had zero commitment towards the story. Although I am impressed that they struggle so much to write a player avatar who is not a self-centric and delusional asshole. For example even if the stupid plot devices are ignored, Corrin couldn't have been written to be more selfish in his decision to attack Hoshido. Even after all the atrocities that happened through Garon's orders, after all those petty threats and attempts at his life, even after learning that his siblings are terrified that he might just kill them on a whim, he still called the idea of acting against his father as "insane". And just to make things worse, his next line reveals that he didn't even think that Azura was suggesting killing Garon. He thought it was merely about "defeating and shaming" him. It's baffling that Corrin is somehow supposed to be a selfless paragon.

That would be my biggest problem with Conquest's plot, specifically, adding to the above stuff. And it ruins Azura's character as well.

Edited by DragonFlames

I agree couldn't he simply had made an allicance with Scarlet ? Takumi could still be saved and Leo and Xander would have joined anyways if you take the whole "Trust me this is the right choice" excuse in Revelation. There would still be the Hoshido VS Nohr showdown but at least it would have ended with Lord Lobster not commiting seppuku.

As someone that enjoys Fates' story for what it is, I can say that my major problem with it is that there's too much Royal bias going on. Whatever the Royals do, it's always perfect and unquestionable and everyone in the world kisses their collective asses.

Corrin in his/her supports excluded, as weird as that may sound. I have never seen any character who got that much crappy treatment in their supports as Corrin did, while all of the other Roylas get worshipped like gods. It gets on my nerves.

If we include the DLC, there is one scene in Heirs of Fate 2, I think it was, where Forrest ATTACKS A CRYING KANA WITH BRYNHILDR TO CALM HIM DOWN!!! In what universe is that ever considered right? And no one else there ever reprimanded him for it, because he's Forrest, Prince of Nohr! Glory be to him!

That scene made me hate Forrest, whom I already didn't care about, with a burning passion, almost as strong as my hatred towards Taku-douche and Xander the Wimpy. He can get killed by that Fighter next time for all I care.

Stemming from that: Severa, Owain and Inigo were also reduced to mere asskissers for our glorious, mighty Royals and they didn't have any impact on the plot whatsoever! No 'we have something to tell you' after you reach Valla, no 'we came to fulfill our promise you, Anankos!' when facing the Big Bad in battle. Nothing. They got shafted, because 'oh no! We must push the Royals in their face at all times! There's no way THESE three will get the spotlight! No, no, no!'

Sorry for losing my cool there, but that is what really bothered me about Fates' overall plot, supports and DLC included.

That would be my biggest problem with Conquest's plot, specifically, adding to the above stuff. And it ruins Azura's character as well.

I am even surprised he survived lol couldn't he just give a generic anime slap.

What I hate is also the fact that the children of the royals don't even talk to Kana as their cousin, I understand they're not blood related but their parents grew as brothers and sisters and shared a strong bond of brotherhood so man couldn't they have done something about it. Gee

Frankly, I generally enjoyed the Fates story. For me it was the strong point of the game. (Coincidentally, I hated FE4, so maybe we're just on opposite ends of the taste spectrum haha)

Really, my only issue (which is an issue I have for every FE game honestly) is that the game sometimes tried to get too quickly to the next map and the writing kinda felt like it hurt for it. Whether that's because the game skipped giving basic world-building info (I don't really need to know how the Hoshidan government works because it's not relevant... but the continent name???), skipped filling out emotional drama (perhaps it's because I adore romance novels, but I'm a firm believer in the sort of dual conflict they employ), or used a throwaway device to get there (the crystal ball could've been reasonable if it had more context, but it's just there and gone for example). You can totally tell when gameplay comes before story, and FE's definitely that type of series.

Not touching actual subject matter so much, because that's even more subjective. I think we can mostly agree that the crystal ball and not having the name to the continent are kinda poor decisions, but whether or not the story should've been edgier or something isn't so cut and dry.

Edit: As for the story writer... yeah, I think that's kinda people getting their hopes up before the game was released. A lot of what I hear regarding that is 'it wasn't what I expected/wanted,' which... I have sympathy for of course, but... Anything's going to be worse than the fantasy story that you created because your fantasy story is exactly catered to you and has perfect execution because it doesn't actually rely on writing, ya know? Of course my ideal FE14 story is better imo than what we got haha, but I don't think that means the current story is bad.

And for that matter, my ideal FE14 story totally lacks general appeal, so from a mass game standpoint, it's probably not the best decision. Most of y'all probably don't want a YA fantasy/romance/drama with a Xander/f!Corrin/Ryoma love triangle, no Azura, no m!Corrin, and way more gay, right haha?

There's that sort of general appeal thing to consider, too, I think. And FE14 does have general appeal as it is, else the general video game reviewers would've mentioned a terrible story (iirc, the consensus was about average with highlights).

Yeah...I too was wondering that myself. Continent here is never revealed. I guess you can say that Hoshido and Nohr are the continents? idk...

I am even surprised he survived lol couldn't he just give a generic anime slap.

What I hate is also the fact that the children of the royals don't even talk to Kana as their cousin, I understand they're not blood related but their parents grew as brothers and sisters and shared a strong bond of brotherhood so man couldn't they have done something about it. Gee

Yep, Kana is like the unwanted youngest child that they just carry along because he/she has the Yato.

Edited by DragonFlames

I think 4 things are mostly wrong in Fates' story

1. the will to make money, and therefore 3 games, and therefore splitting an already shaky plot in 3 parts + dlc (really, you pay a game and a half, and you still have to get Hidden truths to learn the whole story...)

2. Corrin, he's just stupid, it doesn't make sense that this guy gets to command an army, in war a commander like him would just get his soldiers killed one after the other. And it doesn't make sense that people follow him because he has a 'honest vibe' going, that's first class BS right there. Make the characters actually join you for a real reason, seriously besides princes and attendants I can think of one person who joins you for an actual reason: Shura.

I don't know about you but I wouldn't trust a stranger, a foreign commander just because he has a gentle look. And sure as hell I wouldn't fight and risk my life for him.

3. Also there's another issue in my opinion which is the number of characters, too much, having so many characters results in them having little to no depth, like the non-sense children story, people like Hana, Hayato, Subaki, Camilla, Percy, Sophie who live only of their gimmicks.

So yeah, make one game, half characters, tell a reasonable story for why there are children (I like the mechanics, it gives a lot of replay value to the game) and give reasons for why people go with the protagonist (who souldn't, by the way, be the avatar). And maybe sometimes make people dislike the avatar, it's not illegal you know?

4. Too black and white, Nohr is dark, cold, poor and bad, Hoshido is light, warm, rich and good, Garon/Iago/Hans are evil (I have yet to understand the reasons of Iago's hate btw) and Corrin obviously doesn't get it because he's too stupid (seriously, how do you not get that Garon is evil? HOW?). Was it that hard to make things a bit more 'gray'? Also, I watched Birthright playthroughs and I actually learned more of Nohr from that, than from my own playthrough of Conquest, that's a bit bad if you ask me.

Also, especially for Conquest, moving in the map and not just selecting the place would've helped, I never got the sensation of invading Hoshido. I mean from what I got in-game, Nohr is in west, Hoshido in east, Bottomless Canyon in the middle, everything else I had no idea. (then I looked at the map on the site, but I shouldn't need to do that...)

And I'm not even one who asks too much from the story, I loved Awakening's plot, and from what I read it's considered terrible.

(really, give me a game with Awakening's plot and characters, Fates' weapons system and Conquest's gameplay, I will be a happy man)

I feel strangely irrelevant to this forum after having read this; it's so much more concise than anything I've ever written here.

What went wrong? A lot of things.

The concept was good but, somewhere along the way, things got muddled and the end result is Fates.

It's just one of those game where you look at it, play it and gradually realize that there are many, many, many missed opportunities and bad decisions.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Let's throw the arguable separate path purchase away as that has nothing to do with the overall story writing.

But OP, that IS a part of where the story went wrong. This is a meta-explanation but a huge failing of the writing process was trying to split a single story into 3 games. There simply wasn't enough content to fit 3 games and there is a lot of filler in Birthright and Conquest to show for it. Also, if Azura and Kamui weren't morons, there wouldn't even be a "Conquest" and "Birthright". Their stupidity was needed to justify a 3rd route existing.

The other principle failings of the story are:

1. A lack of world building. We know next to nothing about the continent and its people.

2. Kamui's black hole Sue-dom. Everything in the plot warps to make you the center of the universe. Two examples would be Iago, who is obsessed with making your life hell, even though you've done nothing to him and Kaze who betrays his nation (and possibly murders his own brother) because you're the swellest person in the world.

Because Nintendo advertised the shit out of the plot being good. That's why

My thought's on Fates' plot are kinda simple tbh, if was a first draft, I'd call it good for first draft standards, but since what they gave me was sold as a final product, it's just not good whatsoever. I don't think it's the worst plot in the series, but unlike the games I consider to have worse plots, I can see some solid potential in it if they were just willing to refine it a good deal. Fun fact, they apparently actually took the writer's first draft and ran with it for the entire plot

This. It's really apparent (also evidenced by the fact that Kibiyashi isn't actually credited as a writer) that they just received a loose framework and never really developed it beyond that.

I feel strangely irrelevant to this forum after having read this; it's so much more concise than anything I've ever written here.

But Brightbow hates Awakening so you still have a niche here.

I wonder Fates would be like if they took what the Big Choice established trailer to the ultimate conclusion. I mean, look here:

1. Corrin is at least a half-sibling to Ryoma and Company (since the BC trailer pointed to them being Corrin's birth siblings).

2. Picking between the two kingdoms is framed as either staying loyal to the land you were raised or deserting for your bloodline.

3. Conquest is a full blown villain campaign where you live up to Nohr's specialty in glory seeking. No wishy-washy "Corrin's helping Garon but sorta kinda not fully helping him and talks about how hard he has it with those dirty Hoshidans not seeing how wonderful he is."

But OP, that IS a part of where the story went wrong. This is a meta-explanation but a huge failing of the writing process was trying to split a single story into 3 games. There simply wasn't enough content to fit 3 games and there is a lot of filler in Birthright and Conquest to show for it. Also, if Azura and Kamui weren't morons, there wouldn't even be a "Conquest" and "Birthright". Their stupidity was needed to justify a 3rd route existing.

The other principle failings of the story are:

1. A lack of world building. We know next to nothing about the continent and its people.

2. Kamui's black hole Sue-dom. Everything in the plot warps to make you the center of the universe. Two examples would be Iago, who is obsessed with making your life hell, even though you've done nothing to him and Kaze who betrays his nation (and possibly murders his own brother) because you're the swellest person in the world.

This. It's really apparent (also evidenced by the fact that Kibiyashi isn't actually credited as a writer) that they just received a loose framework and never really developed it beyond that.

But Brightbow hates Awakening so you still have a niche here.

Ok first of all, the games DO have different stories and they don't sum up the ending because they are built upon the decision you want to make and the story flows based on it.

If I recall, Zelda once had two separate games that told one story so its not like the idea of splitting the games ruined the story but rather, how its told.

I do agree that the worlds aren't expanded enough. Probably the writer thought that elaborating too much on that might confuse some and so he made a simplified story. But I feel that there's a bit of a difference between the character development and the overall story. There isn't enough of character development in games like Holy war and yet the story in that game is phenomenal but I digress....

Ok first of all, the games DO have different stories and they don't sum up the ending because they are built upon the decision you want to make and the story flows based on it.

If I recall, Zelda once had two separate games that told one story so its not like the idea of splitting the games ruined the story but rather, how its told.

I do agree that the worlds aren't expanded enough. Probably the writer thought that elaborating too much on that might confuse some and so he made a simplified story. But I feel that there's a bit of a difference between the character development and the overall story. There isn't enough of character development in games like Holy war and yet the story in that game is phenomenal but I digress....

Not surprising. I get the feeling Fates was meant to be a character-driven story rather than an event-driven one, so I could forgive the lack of world-building if I cared about the characters enough. But we all know how that turned out.

It's not that you can't have multiple route stories and make it work, but Fates felt more like a singular story. The story is "Hoshido and Nohr are at war, and Anankos is behind it." You can make a choice of which side of the conflict you fight on but ultimately the story stays the same. Azura, Lilith, the Rainbow Sage, Garon, Iago, Hans, Zola, two siblings and one of the beast tribes die regardless of your choice. Between Conquest and Birthright, the only real difference is who wins the war and either way, everyone loses because Anankos is still alive. Different flavors to the same Bad End.

Edit: My original point was that the world of Fates is so empty that not enough happens to warrant multiple games. Had the first two routes led to distinct endings, I could see them as different stories.

Not surprising. I get the feeling Fates was meant to be a character-driven story rather than an event-driven one, so I could forgive the lack of world-building if I cared about the characters enough. But we all know how that turned out.

They had a winning product with just the personal conflict of Kamui and his families but then they derailed that with an unnecessary greater-scope villain. Sacred Stones might be a good example of a character focused game that doesn't need a lot of world-building to get you invested. Still, world-building only makes things better and there is no rule about character focus and world-building not being able to co-exist.

Edited by NekoKnight

It's not that you can't have multiple route stories and make it work, but Fates felt more like a singular story. The story is "Hoshido and Nohr are at war, and Anankos is behind it." You can make a choice of which side of the conflict you fight on but ultimately the story stays the same. Between Conquest and Birthright, the only real difference is who wins the war and either way, everyone loses because Anankos is still alive. Different flavors to the same Bad End.

I don't really consider Birthrout and Conquest a bad ending tbh, due to one line of dialouge in Rev, where Azura points out that Valla will naturally be sealed off in a year. FE wars are usually implied to last about a year after the protagonist starts his journey, and Anakos' plan is foiled at the end of both BirthRout and Conquest even if he isn't killed. Due to Valla being unreachable, and therefore Fates' world being unreachable from Valla, he can't try again, so all three routes are good endings by complete fucking coincidence. Granted, I might be overlooking something, so feel free to ignore this. I know HoF is an alternate continuity BR and CQ, but I haven't actually gone thru them yet, so I can't say they debunk me here or not

Edited by MemeCProductions