Female Corrin/Kamui popularity?

AmericanBuizel

Honestly I don't mind if you're a dude and pick the other gender character or vice versa but what annoys me to no end at least in Smash is when I hear MRobin and Corn being called she and her.

I mean, it goes both ways. I've heard Corrin called 'him' waaaaaay too many times for my liking when people are talking about the actual game, and that's annoying af too. Why you gotta erase the character I picked?

Any rate, it's hard to say because there aren't any demographics or anything. You'd have had better luck asking people which Corrin they picked, why, and what their gender is to get an idea because atm it's just people making vague guesses about the fanbase (and tending to the worst assumptions for whatever reasons?).

Personally, speaking for myself, I picked f!Corrin because I'm a girl and she's a girl. The two characters are essentially identical in writing, so I'm going to pick as my main/first the one that matches me.

If I had to make a vague guess about the fanbase... well, I'd assume it's primarily the same thing. The only thing we really have demographics for is the Famitsu poll, which included a remark that they had more women poll than usual (about half of the polled audience) and showed an about 50/50 between m!Corrin and f!Corrin (or Kamui I suppose haha). So... I'd guess most people are just picking the character whose gender matches theirs.

This would also match which characters are more popular when a particular gender Corrin is more popular. I.E. no, I don't think most guys are pushing Leo/Takumi/Xander gettin' down 'n dirty with f!Corrin. That f!Corrin topped the official ladies poll & Leo, Takumi, and Xander all topped the mens isn't coincidence to me. Similarly, that Azura and m!Corrin both faltered together makes sense when Azura was the most married character in the Famitsu poll.

So... it's probably about where you're looking. A lot of the English fanart content you see proooobably comes from Tumblr, which has a heavy female demographic. So... More f!Corrin. Meanwhile, if you were to go onto Reddit, you'll probably see more m!Corrin, which matches the lack of Xander/Takumi/Leo as husbands shilling.

It's also worth noting that there's the psychological thing where people will perceive there being more women than men... in a room with a 50/50 gender split. That's probably affecting things, too, because based on the one poll with gender that we have, f/m Corrin generally runs down player gender lines.

Oh, and all that's just talking about FE. Don't know anything about Smash, so... not gonna bother making even vaguer guesses haha.

Edit: With Smash, I do know that back when it was on the Wii, my sisters and I liked picking female characters because the game had very few of them, so they were novel. Now, the game's moved towards incorporating more girls, hasn't it? So it may just be a design preference thing. On top of a gender thing, because if I'm given a gender choice for something meaningless like that, I always pick the one that matches mine.

Edited by blinkingbrave

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I honestly don't think there's too much difference between male and female Corrin, at least personality-wise. I happen to like the female's design more, but that's mostly because I was a little disappointed with F!Robin's design back in Awakening.

But I do agree that the Nohr Noble design was a bit over the top with the fanservice, which is why I would always reclass to something less risque (like Great Lord or Swordmaster) if I ever play Conquest as a female.

I mostly pick male Corrin, if only because I happen to be a guy, when I play Fates, but in Smash, I pick female Corrin, because I like her design more and Corrin's battle style fits better with the female than the male, but maybe that's just me.

I mean, it goes both ways. I've heard Corrin called 'him' waaaaaay too many times for my liking when people are talking about the actual game, and that's annoying af too. Why you gotta erase the character I picked?

Eh, people are probably going to use the pronouns that match the avatar they used. I mean, I started using they/them for Corrin but kept instinctively using male pronouns and just went 'fuck it'.

EDIT: Not in story perhaps, but it's more evident in the supports. It's the same as all differing gender characters i.e. female is more energetic and teasing, male is more relaxed and serious.

Edited by Phillius

Umm, I hate to burst your bubble, but...

Dark_Blood_F_Avatar_Art.jpgF_Avatar_Dark_Blood.jpg

Sexuality =/= dumbass personality/unfit to be a fighter as seen with characters like Camilla and Charlotte, but yeah; it is hard to justify here when Corrin barely has a personality. I really do hate the female Nohr Noble outfit and am tired of seeing it in promotional art and fan art. Am I the only one who thinks it just looks so unflattering??

Awakening's avatars were popular enough to warrant Fates' avatar a greater focus, which skyrocketed with f!Corrin. She is aesthetically pleasing to look at, I will admit, but I also hate to admit considering that seems to be what makes her more popular than m!Corrin.

She's popular with the guys simply because she's good-looking. And with the female players tend to play as female Corrin.

You know why F!CorrinxLeo is a popular pairing? It's not because they think it's a good pairing (it's a pretty bad one actually) or because they F!Corrin and Leo have good chemistry (they don't), the reason why it's popular it's because the female players ship themselves with Leo, not F!Corrin.

It's the same thing with F!RobinxChrom.

THANK. YOU. I mean, I hear her S support with Leo is actually pretty good, which kind of justifies the ship for me, but by now, I'm tired of seeing so much content shipping Corrin with the royals. They're not the only characters, you know! None of the characters I've married my avatar to are royalty unless you count Odin who is actually Prince Owain but you know what I mean. Not only do I find marrying family biological or not disturbing, but I'm just not in love with these characters to the point of marriage in even just a video game.

As a female myself, I married Chrom once and actually deeply regretted it. I'm not too fond of his character, which I know is obviously an unpopular opinion, but the exposure of the Chrobin ship really gets to me because their supports together are just so bad. I don't understand how anyone could like them. I see people hate on his supports with Sumia because "pie," but "seeing each other naked" is better????

Yeah; overall, I do think the avatars are so popular for self-insertion and marriage purposes, but this thing with f!Corrin is an interesting phenomenon considering she has little actual character outside of that. I find it quite tragic, really.

As a female myself, I married Chrom once and actually deeply regretted it. I'm not too fond of his character, which I know is obviously an unpopular opinion, but the exposure of the Chrobin ship really gets to me because their supports together are just so bad. I don't understand how anyone could like them. I see people hate on his supports with Sumia because "pie," but "seeing each other naked" is better????

I know. The M!Robin and Chrom supports have so much more chemistry it hurts that they can't marry each other.

I was only talking on the main context of Smash, I dont mind when people refer to Kamui as female or male in Fates since either one fits in without a problem. Due to having no neutral type gender affiliation in English (to my knowledge anyways) people just use the male pronouns since it's usually the way of easily avoid skidding around the gender issue even if it turns to out to be female. In Smash, Male Corns and Robins are called out as girls as they are playing matches as the male versions. If they're simply discussing Corrin in any context then any gender is fine but if I was playing MRobin for example I'd prefer the people speaking would refer to him as male if they just can't just call him by their name.

Well I always pick F!Corrin because I like M!Kanna best and I always end up marrying Kaze. As for Smash I don't know I haven't picked it up yet if I do get it I would probably main Bayonetta and not even bother with either Corrin, but I can see why she is popular since there are fewer female characters then male and Corrin does have a very nice design.

Eh, people are probably going to use the pronouns that match the avatar they used. I mean, I started using they/them for Corrin but kept instinctively using male pronouns and just went 'fuck it'.

I mean, I'm sure most people aren't doing it to be malicious. But that doesn't mean it's not going to annoy me a little haha.

It's just a nice lil accommodating/welcoming touch type thing. If someone takes the extra second to write 's/he' instead of 'he' that's totally a detail I notice and appreciate. And it can be the difference in whether or not I bother to share my interpretations/opinions sometimes, depending on the type of discussion and my mood.

It's not a big thing or anything (unless I'm already crabby when I pop online haha), but it's something I notice.

I personally like F!Corrin more because I think she has a better design. The generic design for M!Corrin is just not appealing for me, I do not like his hair at all. And I know it may seem silly to disregard M!Corrin because of something silly like his hairstyle, but design was something I always looked at whenever I play Fire Emblem games. In Awakening, I almost always used M!Robin and I always married Cordelia. In Fates, I picked F!Corrin and married Silas.

I do like F!Kana more though, and I've actually never had her yet because all of my files so far were with F!Corrin.

...I know you guys are venting your frustrations, but holy crap it's just a pronoun for a fictional character.

It's like how a few people are mad/mock me just because I use their Japanese name "Kamui".

All because I play the JP version of the games and Smash.

Her and Him is all the same for the same character.

All the preferences for Female variety I'd just a thing and it's a phase.

The figma and nendo are really cash grab opportunities at that current trend. It's kind of... childish to get mad.

Like disappointed, sure... but actually venting that people are preferring too much of the other gender you prefer? A little much, don't you think?

Edited by shadowofchaos

She's popular with the guys simply because she's good-looking. And with the female players tend to play as female Corrin.

You know why F!CorrinxLeo is a popular pairing? It's not because they think it's a good pairing (it's a pretty bad one actually) or because they F!Corrin and Leo have good chemistry (they don't), the reason why it's popular it's because the female players ship themselves with Leo, not F!Corrin.

Agreed x 10.

It's come up before, but it's pure wish-fulfillment; wanting to have a 'relationship' with the angsty, sensitive and troubled guy without going through all the things that in real-life would make such a relationship difficult to handle. Notice how in many fanfics, Takumi and Leo's complex issues, faults and insecurities are reduced to generic anime-angst so that F!Corrin can heal them with the power of her 'inspirational' words and/or sexy times?

Agreed x 10.

Unless you're reading fanfiction, in which case F!Corrin is either a generic moe-blob or a one-note character who exists solely to help Leo or Takumi get over their angst.

Agreed x 10.

Seriously, the overall preference for Fem!Corrin seems to be "she's hot" (in Smash and sometimes Fates) or "wish fulfilment" (in Fates). I'm not saying those are the only reasons for her popularity, but they have a pretty good chunk in it. Too many fanarts and fanfics ignore her canon personality and reduce her to Generic (but totally speshul) Moe Blob Princess #3, while amping up how ~sexy~ and ~hot~ she is, for the purposes of healing Poor Prince Leo/Takumi without getting anything out of the deal or actually analyzing how hard it would be to deal with someone with their issues. It's infuriating and it's honestly just sealed my preference for M!Corrin, even though I myself am female.

Which is ironic, since it's actually F!Corrin that comes off as generic hero.

Just compare the times M!Corrin and F!Corrin have different quotes.

M!Corrin comes off as shy and awkward, where F!Corrin comes off as pushy and headstrong.

Even their main-game dialogue, while shared, has a part in this. Corrin's got a kind, naive, and overall "soft" personality that you see everywhere for female princesses in the media, so Fem!Corrin seems run-of-the-mill. But that same non-macho personality is pretty rare in media males, so it ends up making M!Corrin seem more unique and interesting. It's another reason I prefer him over her.

Edited by Abvora

However, reducing Leon and Takumi's popularity due to that wish fulfillment is giving too much credit to the self-insert factors.

While their popularity was helped with the shipping... reducing their popularity down to a condescending statement like that is no better than those fanfics that reduce their characters to wish fulfillment husbandos.

This thread is just as guilty of generalizing it to vent out. Just like I am right now.

Edited by shadowofchaos

However, reducing Leon and Takumi's popularity due to that wish fulfillment is giving too much credit to the self-insert factors.

While their popularity was helped with the shipping... reducing their popularity down to a condescending statement like that is no better than those fanfics that reduce their characters to wish fulfillment husbandos.

This thread is just as guilty of generalizing it to vent out. Just like I am right now.

I won't deny that I'm venting, and I do apologize.

It's just I've been made fun of for liking M!Corrin and M!Robin over F!Corrin and F!Robin, and I've had bad experienced with F!CorrinxLeo/Takumi and F!RobinxChrom fans before. You know that they can be pretty bad. M!RobinxLucina fans can be pretty bad too.

So it's a subject that makes rather cranky.

Edited by Water Mage

Meh, I honestly view Leo/Corrin S-rank as possibly the best written S-rank in the game, and I certainly don't ship myself with Leo, ew.

I can understand that, depending on where you hang out online, one can be pretty sick of the Corrin/royal pair-ups, though.

Meh, I honestly view Leo/Corrin S-rank as possibly the best written S-rank in the game, and I certainly don't ship myself with Leo, ew.

Yeah, I can understand a few reasons why people would pair Leo/Corrin, like the support, story interactions, favorite character, and/or self-insert-ing reasons (honestly, I don't even see the problem with people self-inserting. just let them do their thing, yeah?), even if they don't apply to me. I haven't paired them together, and I don't intend to, but it's still tooootally in the top five f!Corrin S-supports in my eyes, just in terms of checking off boxes that traditionally work well.

Leo's totally a familiar shojo trope. Of course girls are gonna like him.

Yeah, I can understand a few reasons why people would pair Leo/Corrin, like the support, story interactions, favorite character, and/or self-insert-ing reasons (honestly, I don't even see the problem with people self-inserting. just let them do their thing, yeah?), even if they don't apply to me. I haven't paired them together, and I don't intend to, but it's still tooootally in the top five f!Corrin S-supports in my eyes, just in terms of checking off boxes that traditionally work well.

Leo's totally a familiar shojo trope. Of course girls are gonna like him.

Plus, he was voiced by Mamoru Miyano in the JP version, he's like the ultimate fangirl bait.

Oh, I've heard about this in the Smash community too, so I'll just share my own thoughts on it:

• Like everyone else has said, people prefer F!Corrin's design over M!Corrin, and I do too. I have to admit that going through the male appearance options was a little underwhelming, but maybe that's just me? fanservice is also a thing
  • There was a discussion about this in a Smash video. Someone said something along the lines of "Male Corrin's victory quotes are gross, Female Corrin has a sexy voice". In fact, one guy who was playing in a tournament was actually praised for playing as M!Corrin because such a huge part of the community calls out anyone who plays M!Corrin! I've only ever seen that one M!Corrin played in tournament, the rest are always F!Corrin.
  • To add to that, I think the trope of "gentle male, aggressive female" is becoming more appealing? In Awakening this was also the case with Robin, with the male being more mellow while F!Robin was more assertive. (Her throwing figs at Lon'qu and her reaction to Chrom not seeing her as a lady and walking in on her in the bath comes to mind...) And yet, M!Robin doesn't seem to get as much hate as poor M!Corrin does. As a sidenote, F!Corrin's Smash taunts allude to a more fiery personality ("Let's do this!" "Your fate is clear!" and "You ready for this?!") than M!Corrin's taunts, which one could view as more... generic? ("My path is clear!" "I've made my choice!" and "Are you ready?")
  • Maybe fans are just used to seeing wish-fulfillment protagonists as male harem protagonists? I've heard people call M!Corrin Kirito but never having anything bad to say about F!Corrin just because she's more aesthetically pleasing, which kind of throws me for a loop.
  • Corrin is generally gentle with everyone, but I would also have to agree that F!Corrin is more headstrong and stubborn than the male. I don't know if that's a selling point for making her a waifu even though you're able to play as her, but I guess people lean towards F!Corrin because of that.
  • In regards to pronouns, I usually see people switch it up, or at least from what I can see in Smash. Generally if someone is playing as F!Corrin and doing commentary, they'll refer to her as a "she", or "he" if they're playing as M!Corrin. Some people refer to F!Corrin as Kamui and M!Corrin as Corrin just out of personal preference for names. I don't really see anything wrong with any of this, but when talking about the character as a whole I think "they" would be best.

This is what I can come up with off the top of my head, but I've also been wondering about this so I'll keep up with this thread O: I wonder why the Corrins were even listed as poll options to begin with?

Oh, I've heard about this in the Smash community too, so I'll just share my own thoughts on it:

• Like everyone else has said, people prefer F!Corrin's design over M!Corrin, and I do too. I have to admit that going through the male appearance options was a little underwhelming, but maybe that's just me? fanservice is also a thing
  • -snip-
  • To add to that, I think the trope of "gentle male, aggressive female" is becoming more appealing? In Awakening this was also the case with Robin, with the male being more mellow while F!Robin was more assertive. (Her throwing figs at Lon'qu and her reaction to Chrom not seeing her as a lady and walking in on her in the bath comes to mind...) And yet, M!Robin doesn't seem to get as much hate as poor M!Corrin does. As a sidenote, F!Corrin's Smash taunts allude to a more fiery personality ("Let's do this!" "Your fate is clear!" and "You ready for this?!") than M!Corrin's taunts, which one could view as more... generic? ("My path is clear!" "I've made my choice!" and "Are you ready?")
  • Maybe fans are just used to seeing wish-fulfillment protagonists as male harem protagonists? I've heard people call M!Corrin Kirito but never having anything bad to say about F!Corrin just because she's more aesthetically pleasing, which kind of throws me for a loop.
  • Corrin is generally gentle with everyone, but I would also have to agree that F!Corrin is more headstrong and stubborn than the male. I don't know if that's a selling point for making her a waifu even though you're able to play as her, but I guess people lean towards F!Corrin because of that.
  • In regards to pronouns, I usually see people switch it up, or at least from what I can see in Smash. Generally if someone is playing as F!Corrin and doing commentary, they'll refer to her as a "she", or "he" if they're playing as M!Corrin. Some people refer to F!Corrin as Kamui and M!Corrin as Corrin just out of personal preference for names. I don't really see anything wrong with any of this, but when talking about the character as a whole I think "they" would be best.

This is what I can come up with off the top of my head, but I've also been wondering about this so I'll keep up with this thread O: I wonder why the Corrins were even listed as poll options to begin with?

Male Robin probably doesn't get as much hate as male Corrin thanks to him being Fire Emblem's take on the typical harem protagonist lead. This is helped by his being pretty competent at what he does (most of the time) and having a general enough personality that players can put their wish fulfillment self-insert fantasies into him. Male Corrin has a more clear background (that's shown right in the beginning) and personality (I'm pretty sure some players consider his to be quite whiny) that worked against him for players intending to self-insert.

Another reason that female Corrin is popular is because the whole "sheltered and naive royal child" thing tends to work better on female characters (like Eirika from FE8), rather than for male characters for some, if not a lot, of players.

A better question is why the Robins are both listed as poll options to begin with in the Awakening poll?

I play F!Cornbread because I am a girl. I also play M!Cornbread whenever I feel like it just because I can.

I can understand the irritation—I would get pissed too for being criticized for playing another gender—but, at the end of the day, people are going choose who they want for whatever reason that they want. Some people choose F!Cornbread to romance the bros, some do it because they like the design, some do it because they prefer her quotes and some do it because they want eye candy—some do it for all of that. Hell, those are some of the reasons I do it at times.

Overall, it just makes me wonder if IS will ever create a protagonist that we can all enjoy one day.

I remember posting in a topic like this at least twice, so I'll just say what I did the last time I posted in one of these threads.

F!Corrin and M!Corrin are virtually the same character. They get to make the same major decisions. They don't have massive dialogue changes. The exclusive supports they have that differ by gender aren't different enough to give them major personality differences.

The only reasons F!Corrin gets so much more attention than M!Corrin are because of design and shipping material. A lot of people prefer f!Corrin's design over m!Corrin's, and so if they had to pick one they'd pick the one with the better design. A bigger reason is because f!Corrin also has a lot of male fans who think she's hot and want to bang them so they prefer her, and a lot of female fans who project themselves onto her and twist her personality to make her their perfect little mouthpiece and grab the guy of their choice without anything that actually makes female Corrin her. Male Corrin exists less for shipping purposes that female Corrin, and has less fanservice, and most female fans prefer existing male characters and not male Corrin compared to male fans preferring female Corrin to existing females.

I cannot think of any other reasonable explanation as to why a character that is virtually identical in both male and female form would be received so differently.

EDIT: I agree with everything Phillius, Water Mage, and Abvora have said regarding female Corrin and pairing with her brothers, too.

Edited by Sunwoo

A bigger reason is because f!Corrin also has a lot of male fans who think she's hot and want to bang them so they prefer her, and a lot of female fans who project themselves onto her and twist her personality to make her their perfect little mouthpiece and grab the guy of their choice without anything that actually makes female Corrin her.

I've seen this opinion espoused time and time again on these forums, yet I haven't seen any evidence of this in the fandom? I really wonder if it's the 'bigger' reason. The biggest reason I see is people simply liking her design better.

I've seen this opinion espoused time and time again on these forums, yet I haven't seen any evidence of this in the fandom? I really wonder if it's the 'bigger' reason. The biggest reason I see is people simply liking her design better.

I have seen people state that the female is better because she's hot. Also, one only needs to look at the sheer volume of fanart and fanfiction to tell that a lot of people only see female Corrin as shipping bait. I mean, seriously, do you really think most people are going to outright admit "I only like this character because I can project myself onto them and use her as a mouthpiece for my thoughts", or even realize it? Too many people try to "justify" their reasonings instead of just admitting they like something and have no deeper basis for it.

I have seen people state that the female is better because she's hot. Also, one only needs to look at the sheer volume of fanart and fanfiction to tell that a lot of people only see female Corrin as shipping bait. I mean, seriously, do you really think most people are going to outright admit "I only like this character because I can project myself onto them and use her as a mouthpiece for my thoughts", or even realize it? Too many people try to "justify" their reasonings instead of just admitting they like something and have no deeper basis for it.

I think we all know some people are using f!Corrin for self-inserting or reliability. People do it with m!Corrin, too. It's not a mystery there haha.

What I'm interested in hearing about is the idea that f!Corrin has a large male fanbase that just wants to bang her. It's not that I don't think these people exist (because I'm sure they do), but the idea that this base is really big confuses me because I haven't seen it anywhere while other things (f!Corrin/royal bro shippers, LTCers wanting 1st Jakob, better design claimers) have been ubiquitous. So I'm just curious if there are numbers/polls/surveys and some line of reasoning to go with that, ya know? Because my knee jerk thought is that as far as the general fanbase goes, most people playing as f!Corrin are girls, and atm, I haven't see anything to refute that. I'd be happy to incorporate it into my understanding of her fanbase if there's a significant reason to think it's not just some small subgroup of guys on 4chan though, so I'm interested to hear where people are getting this from, if it's a thing.

Edited by blinkingbrave