Female Corrin/Kamui popularity?

AmericanBuizel

Too many people try to "justify" their reasonings instead of just admitting they like something and have no deeper basis for it.

Perhaps they try to justify their reasoning because 'just liking it' apparently equals to 'I'm projecting myself onto this character and using them as my mouthpiece?' Which is pretty hideous and damning, honestly. Is it not possible that someone can just like something without being accused of self-projection? It comes across as fans being damned if they do, damned if they don't.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[snip]

GameFAQs feels like one good place to start, although >GameFAQs and I can't tell if they're every saying anything unironically or not.

Perhaps they try to justify their reasoning because 'just liking it' apparently equals to 'I'm projecting myself onto this character and using them as my mouthpiece?' Which is pretty hideous and damning, honestly. Is it not possible that someone can just like something without being accused of self-projection? It comes across as fans being damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I'd honestly respect people a lot more if they just said that they liked something and didn't try to claim deeper meaning if there really wasn't one.

GameFAQs feels like one good place to start, although >GameFAQs and I can't tell if they're every saying anything unironically or not.

Hmm... I'm not really seeing anything, though in fairness, I'm only opening up topics that look like f!Corrin's waifu status could actually be relevant and I stopped clicking through after about 12 pages of topics. Like... there are other things I can see from the titles (GFAQs sure likes talking about pairings, waifus, and Camilla), but even the potentially gross 'is Corrin alpha/beta/omega' was surprisingly tame thank god (and mostly he pronouns to boot) and 'Me and Corrin are pretty hot together' is actually about m!Corrin.

Maybe it's buried in the bowels of GFAQs, I guess? At first glance, there doesn't seem to be a large male fanbase seriously claiming f!Corrin as their waifu.

Hmm... I'm not really seeing anything, though in fairness, I'm only opening up topics that look like f!Corrin's waifu status could actually be relevant and I stopped clicking through after about 12 pages of topics. Like... there are other things I can see from the titles (GFAQs sure likes talking about pairings, waifus, and Camilla), but even the potentially gross 'is Corrin alpha/beta/omega' was surprisingly tame thank god (and mostly he pronouns to boot) and 'Me and Corrin are pretty hot together' is actually about m!Corrin.

Maybe it's buried in the bowels of GFAQs, I guess? At first glance, there doesn't seem to be a large male fanbase seriously claiming f!Corrin as their waifu.

It's in the archives. I hang out there, and I remember seeing a lot of "F!Corrin's totally hot so she's better" comments. Search for stuff about her vs M!Corrin and you should find it.

She's popular with the guys simply because she's good-looking. And with the female players tend to play as female Corrin.

You know why F!CorrinxLeo is a popular pairing? It's not because they think it's a good pairing (it's a pretty bad one actually) or because they F!Corrin and Leo have good chemistry (they don't), the reason why it's popular it's because the female players ship themselves with Leo, not F!Corrin.

It's the same thing with F!RobinxChrom.

This has a part to play for the younger fandom, yeah. This was also the case with Robin. FemRobin had more content and fanart than MaRobin likely for this reason.

To add onto these reasons, I suspect that Mamui is seen as a generic shonen hero and Femui seems a bit more exotic for being female.

The fact that a female lead is seen as "exotic", is in itself, rather problematic and a sign that theres still not enough female representation in video games yet. We've come a long way but...theres a ways to go. Im not disagreeing with you though, cuz this is a factor on why FeCorn is more popular.

I've seen this opinion espoused time and time again on these forums, yet I haven't seen any evidence of this in the fandom? I really wonder if it's the 'bigger' reason. The biggest reason I see is people simply liking her design better.

Yeah same. I honestly dont see straight male fans lust after feCorn. Not saying they dont exist, but like, at this point they might as well be Sasquatch. Only alleged sightings in internet wilderness areas. Every time i see someone say they like feCorn better, its because of design or gameplay reasons. Or the fact they are like 14 and really want to self insert and get with a particular character.

It's in the archives. I hang out there, and I remember seeing a lot of "F!Corrin's totally hot so she's better" comments. Search for stuff about her vs M!Corrin and you should find it.

THATS DEFINITELY IN THE WILDERNESS, MATE! BEARS LIVE THERE! :P:

The reason I like feCorn better? Mostly because her design is cute/she gets better hair options, and G A M E P L A Y. Same reason i play male Robin in Awakening. Being able to poop out two kid characters and stuff. feCorn, you can poop out two kid characters, AND you get the better retainer character (Jakob) out of the deal. Ive done about 5 runs in the game so far, and only two have been maCorn. So yeah, for that reason alone, im defaulting as feCorn for my runs. (also the bun hair is really cute)

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

...I know you guys are venting your frustrations, but holy crap it's just a pronoun for a fictional character.

It's like how a few people are mad/mock me just because I use their Japanese name "Kamui".

All because I play the JP version of the games and Smash.

Her and Him is all the same for the same character.

All the preferences for Female variety I'd just a thing and it's a phase.

The figma and nendo are really cash grab opportunities at that current trend. It's kind of... childish to get mad.

Like disappointed, sure... but actually venting that people are preferring too much of the other gender you prefer? A little much, don't you think?

hi, you must be new

Just wanted to say that just because someone says "I like her because she's hot" does not automatically mean "I want to bang her."

But I also don't get why it's implied to be a bad thing (the way "justify" was used earlier) if they explain why they prefer one over the other, even if you don't necessarily agree with it or even believe them. They're literally just answering the question that they were asked. Some like to be verbose, others like to be short and sweet.

At least playing as the female, kinda hides the fact of only the princes have legendary weapons.

Also, maybe it's just me, but the RNG seems much nicer to me when I'm playing as the female.

Looks like the RNG frequents gameFAQs and wants to waifu F!Corrin.

Honestly, with me it's that default male corrin looks like more of an idiot than default female corrin does. I mean at first I liked his appearance before the game came out, but when I started to see his lines and see his actual personality, particularly in Nohr, I realized that that face does not do any favors to the impression that he's extremely dense. Female Corrin looks marginally more intelligent.

Also, let's be honest.

Those thighs have to have something to do with her popularity.

Edited by Alastor15243

I remember going to a con last February. Since many of us college students had classes on Friday and the anime club only got enough funding for the bus to take the club for one day, we went to it on Saturday.

One of the stands in the dealers' room sold Fire Emblem Cipher card sleeves. I learned from the salesperson or from the card sleeve poster that all of the packs of card sleeves on the stand depicting female Corrin got sold out on Friday. There was still even packs of the special 25th anniversary card sleeves available at the stand!

Another reason that female Corrin is popular is because the whole "sheltered and naive royal child" thing tends to work better on female characters (like Eirika from FE8), rather than for male characters for some, if not a lot, of players.

Honestly, I believe this a big one, especially with how Female Corrin has been promoted more with the Conquest path, the one where most of the complaints about Corrin being whiny and sub-servant are.

Honestly, I believe this a big one, especially with how Female Corrin has been promoted more with the Conquest path, the one where most of the complaints about Corrin being whiny and sub-servant are.

That actually seems pretty plausible. Another thing I've noticed recently is that stoic main characters are appreciated for being badasses but female stoic characters are labelled flat and bland.

Beruka is not flat and bland. You take that back.

Still sincerely don't understand why this topic gets beaten to death. Design is 90% of the reason that Female Corrin is popular, and the rest of the 10% is a mixture of gender bias for certain personality traits. I will fully acknowledge that there are still members of society that believe a male is meant to be strong, while a female isn't expected to, but in the context of this game and the discussions we have, appearance is always the first thing mentioned and the main topic discussed.

I never said she was, but female characters of the stoic and silent archetype tend to be labelled as such. Think about it, how many times have you seen Lucina be labelled as a flat character? Now how many times have you seen such complaints about Lon'qu or Gerome?

I never said she was, but female characters of the stoic and silent archetype tend to be labelled as such. Think about it, how many times have you seen Lucina be labelled as a flat character? Now how many times have you seen such complaints about Lon'qu or Gerome?

Lon'qu is far from bland, but you have a point. It's always female characters that get ragged on, and Corrin is the only one of them who possibly actually deserves it, yet was voted the most popular of them all.

Lon'qu is far from bland, but you have a point. It's always female characters that get ragged on, and Corrin is the only one of them who possibly actually deserves it, yet was voted the most popular of them all.

I never said he was, although I'm not particularly fond of him. I simply find it odd how Lucina is singled out and railed for being a bland character even though Lon'qu and Gerome are just as 'bad'.

Edited by Phillius

I just like picking female Corrin because then I'm not as limited in partner choices if I wanna recruit all the children. (Though in my next run through I'm marrying her to Shiro anyway, so....)

Edited by DKlein89

Still sincerely don't understand why this topic gets beaten to death. Design is 90% of the reason that Female Corrin is popular, and the rest of the 10% is a mixture of gender bias for certain personality traits. I will fully acknowledge that there are still members of society that believe a male is meant to be strong, while a female isn't expected to, but in the context of this game and the discussions we have, appearance is always the first thing mentioned and the main topic discussed.

I actually choked on coffee.

Obligatory on topic: Thigh holes, an ode to thee~ (I tried to make MCorn in a run just to see the dialouge changes. I never made it past character selection, for some reason the male faces just irritate the shit out of me)

Edited by joshcja

Honestly, with me it's that default male corrin looks like more of an idiot than default female corrin does. I mean at first I liked his appearance before the game came out, but when I started to see his lines and see his actual personality, particularly in Nohr, I realized that that face does not do any favors to the impression that he's extremely dense. Female Corrin looks marginally more intelligent.

Also, let's be honest.

Those thighs have to have something to do with her popularity.

Yeah, I was going to post more or less the exact same thing... thighs part included.

My main issue with male Corrin was the awkward/goofy vibes he gave off, whereas his female counterpart looked considerably cooler. I don't doubt that her attractiveness probably played a part, but this is an issue I didn't have with awakening, where I preferred male Robin. Since I haven't played all three routes with both genders, I can't comment on the personality differences, but I do have to wonder how different they actually are, and whether it's just the vibes male Corrin gives off, that gives him a bad rap.

For me, it started as female Robin's fault, then was cemented by female Corrin's own merits. Long story short, I really like Pegasus Knights, so that's what I was aiming for from the start in Awakening. This meant taking a female Robin. This was very fortunate because it allowed me to very quickly realize the insane power that Dark Flier brings (especially when combined with Veteran). This pretty much meant that I was going to stick with female Robin for the majority of future runs. Since Robin is customizable, I grabbed one of my original characters and more or less ported her into the game. This cascaded into her becoming something of a mascot for my streams, so naturally, I picked female Corrin and ported her in yet again when I started Conquest. While there's nothing as clear cut as Awakening's Dark Flier, female Corrin still carries significant gameplay advantages, so my preference remains with her.

Secondarily, there's aesthetics. As mentioned above, female Corrin's got much nicer, flexible customization (I may also have a weakness for hair decs). This is not as big of an advantage as it could be because the whole crap with battle panties being shoe-horned into a lot of female models really irritates me. There are still some classes that don't have them (like Sky Knight, which is also just really cute to boot), but it's not enough to offset the fact that a lot of the classes with good gameplay power, like Paladin, get saddled with a terrible aesthetic design. So the overall advantage here is pretty minor, all things told.

Female Corrin gives Jakob as a starting Butler, which is better in most cases (especially considering using a heart seal on Jakob to become a pal/gk). Also, being female means you can apply Corrin's growth modifiers to a male unit's child, instead of causing even more demand for a limited pool of mother's with good growths. Thus, female Corrin is better.

I'm pretty sure Lucina is also one of the most universally liked characters in Awakening. I really don't even know why you're trying so hard to push this agenda. There is no factual basis for it.

I personally like F!Corrin more because I think she has a better design. The generic design for M!Corrin is just not appealing for me, I do not like his hair at all.

I also kind of hate his hair, lol. His armour is also a little weird. It's almost as if they just use both bodies for either gender, but with only rather slight differences.

• Like everyone else has said, people prefer F!Corrin's design over M!Corrin, and I do too. I have to admit that going through the male appearance options was a little underwhelming, but maybe that's just me? fanservice is also a thing
...what "fanservice"? Her outfit's been censored for a reason.

In fact, one guy who was playing in a tournament was actually praised for playing as M!Corrin because such a huge part of the community calls out anyone who plays M!Corrin! I've only ever seen that one M!Corrin played in tournament, the rest are always F!Corrin.

I literally started playing male Corrin only because I was tired of all the weeb. I even praise other male Corrin users, because they're not part of an annoying trend. You can also generall tell they're there to stick around, because they like the character.