Female Corrin/Kamui popularity?

AmericanBuizel

In Fates, I typically use Male Corrin for my personal runs, since it's a self insert. If I'm not doing that, I go Blacksmith!Femui because I really like the outfit. I also feel the customizations for Femui are much better. Why can't guys have accessories anyways? We always get shafted when it comes to player customization in games; it's the reason I use a female trainer in Pokemon X and Y. But that's a topic for a different thread.

In Smash, I decided to play Femui over Mamui because... the Down Taunt is something Femui does in game, but not Mamui. Dumb reason, I know, but it's the best I got.

Oh, and it sticks with me using Pink skins for my mains (Well, I don't main Corrin, but I do use him/her a lot casually) which started with F!Robin, which started from that costume being based on Serra, who is my favorite FE7 character. I also just like Pink.

As a side note, I really dislike the colors used for Mamui and M!Robin's alts, besides Robin's B & W alt. They just look awful, especially compared to F!Robin and Femui's great alts. Hopefully we'll get some better ones as the modding community grows.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm pretty sure Lucina is also one of the most universally liked characters in Awakening. I really don't even know why you're trying so hard to push this agenda. There is no factual basis for it.

Have you really never seen such complaints leveled at Lucina? I've seen more than a few and while she is very popular, it seems like she has a fair number of haters as well.

Also, 'trying hard'? 'Pushing an agenda'? I made two comments on the matter; one agreeing with another user and using Lucina as another example based on what I've personally observed and another clarifying what I mean more clearly. I don't see how any of that that's 'trying hard to push an agenda' but whatever.

I play FCorrin so I don't miss out on gameplay stuff, I like her options more, and in general I almost always play as girls when given the option.

Not to say I never do a male run but usually I just pick a girl off the bat.

In Smash I prefer to play FKamui/FRobin... because I prefer their voices over their male counterparts. And I prefer FKamui's design... which is weird when I think about it since she doesn't have holes in her pants.

In Fates itself I'm partially neutral, though I prefer FKamui's design.

In Fates, I typically use Male Corrin for my personal runs, since it's a self insert. If I'm not doing that, I go Blacksmith!Femui because I really like the outfit. I also feel the customizations for Femui are much better. Why can't guys have accessories anyways? We always get shafted when it comes to player customization in games; it's the reason I use a female trainer in Pokemon X and Y. But that's a topic for a different thread.

I feel like, as long as the customizations list isn't enormous or unisex, we will always get shafted.

Dragon's Dogma, my hero...

Edited by B.Leu

I'm not sure if anyone else feels this way, but I always pick her for the Spiky Hair option.

That's my favorite anime look (probably passively influenced by DBZ) and the Male Kamui doesn't have that option.

Plus the hair goes over the eye which I think looks sick with the Spiky Hair.

I picked Female Robin for the Spiky Hair too.

Edited by quasimopho13

Side note: I discovered on my BR playthrough that the younger sounding female voice drives me crazy. (For Hoe-shee-doe!)

Honestly, though, the whole voice thing is as subjective as anything else.

Such as the critical quote changes to that "For Hoshido" or "For Nohr" from the original Japanese.

Personally, I think it just has to do with marketing. Femui's design seems to consistently lend itself better to the aesthetic they're going for with Fates, imo. She fits in better and that's why people like her, and people like her so we keep seeing more of her.

Sex appeal/waifu culture is probably a small secondary reason, but I honestly don't see "because she's hot" come up as a legitimate explanation of someone's choice of avatar very often? Like, you'd probably have to go digging in some pretty poorly regarded areas of the internet to find folks who mean that 100% seriously.

I just think playing as girls is way more fun. It's been a trend with me that I always find the girl character's playable part of a series far more enjoyable (see also: Super Princess Peach, that one Ace Attorney case where you get to play the whole thing as Athena). Couldn't tell you why, just think it's just nicer.

At the end of the day, I'm honestly just glad that something I enjoy is getting publicity, regardless of which gender Corrin/Kamui they decide to push, but I'll still admit I'm far more likely to purchase Femui merchandise for no better explanation than "she was just more fun". :9

In Smash, i play Male Robin because of that amazing green and gold alt. Holy crap. If his hair was dark and not green in that, he'd literally be my MU from the game. Male Corn's green alt is no where near as awesome, sadly. The red clashes with it hard and the only yellow/gold comes from Yato. Its just not the same. So i use the FeCorn in Smash as default colors. (i actually dont like her other color alts)

Personally, I think it just has to do with marketing. Femui's design seems to consistently lend itself better to the aesthetic they're going for with Fates, imo. She fits in better and that's why people like her, and people like her so we keep seeing more of her.

Sex appeal/waifu culture is probably a small secondary reason, but I honestly don't see "because she's hot" come up as a legitimate explanation of someone's choice of avatar very often? Like, you'd probably have to go digging in some pretty poorly regarded areas of the internet to find folks who mean that 100% seriously.

You sorely underestimate the smash community in that regard.

Etika wouldn't be more recognizable in the smash community as "the fire emblem guy" otherwise.

Regardless of the true reason, we can't really say anything for sure about this.

But you're overestimating FemKamui's better fittng asthetic, IMHO.

You sorely underestimate the smash community in that regard.

Yeah, I honestly don't know a single thing about Smash and its community anymore since I injured my hand and got tossed out of the fighting game loop, lol. But if my memory serves correctly, you're probably right.

My issue is not really that Female Corrin is popular.

My problem is that Female Corrin fans look down on Male Corrin fans.

They mock people who like Male Corrin. Especially in the Smash community.

I think you've hit the nail on the head pretty much. I doubt any one of us really minds that F Corrin is more popular. It would be pretty sweet if M!Corn was the more popular one sure, I ain't going to pose as someone too humble but it's just the bashing of M!Corn that gets us. At least I hope that the general reason.

Otakon 2016: there were LOTS of Fire Emblem cosplayers to the point that it was troublesome getting pictures of them during the scheduled Fire Emblem-themed photoshoots (lots of photographers and cosplayers, space issues so as to not impede foot traffic).

Didn't see a lot of Fates avatar cosplayers around; however, there were about (give or take) equal numbers of male and female Fates avatar cosplayers whom I've seen. Funnier is that one of the female avatar cosplayers seemed to be mistaken for a different character multiple times because when I spoke to her, asking her if she's cosplaying as the female Fates avatar, she seemed very surprised that somebody recognized her cosplay on their first try (she was dressed up as female avatar in the Nohr Noble class though some of her armor pieces didn't stay on the costume properly).

Edited by Roflolxp54

Otakon 2016: there were LOTS of Fire Emblem cosplayers to the point that it was troublesome getting pictures of them during the scheduled Fire Emblem-themed photoshoots (lots of photographers and cosplayers, space issues so as to not impede foot traffic).

Didn't see a lot of Fates avatar cosplayers around; however, there were about (give or take) equal numbers of male and female Fates avatar cosplayers whom I've seen. Funnier is that one of the female avatar cosplayers seemed to be mistaken for a different character multiple times because when I spoke to her, asking her if she's cosplaying as the female Fates avatar, she seemed very surprised that somebody recognized her cosplay on their first try (she was dressed up as female avatar in the Nohr Noble class though some of her armor pieces didn't stay on the costume properly).

Is that so?( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I feel like, as long as the customizations list isn't enormous or unisex, we will always get shafted.

Dragon's Dogma, my hero...

Seriously. When I played Pokemon X&Y and found out how shitty the male customization was compared to the female, I was honestly a bit triggered. Now I'm even more triggered thanks to Fates' customization being slightly female biased as well. I want customization equality damn it!

In Smash, i play Male Robin because of that amazing green and gold alt.

We have MUCH different definitions of "amazing".

Edited by TrueEm

We have MUCH different definitions of "amazing".

Just like people can talk crap about the English or Japanese voicing for FE characters, it's kind of obvious it's subjective?

Edited by shadowofchaos

Seriously. When I played Pokemon X&Y and found out how shitty the male customization was compared to the female, I was honestly a bit triggered. Now I'm even more triggered thanks to Fates' customization being slightly female biased as well. I want customization equality damn it!

RIP good male customization,we shall all be Forrests soon.

That said I've got the ultimate solution to fixing MCorin and... all the other terrible ascetic male not-ken leads, allowing them to compete with the female not-barbie leads. Based on my childhood toybox days the easiest fix would be to simply reskin all of them to be the love child of 90's Optimus Prime and Batman.

(Or just add not shit hair options)

Edited by joshcja

Just like people can talk crap about the English or Japanese voicing for FE characters, it's kind of obvious it's subjective?

That was actually my point. We have different views on the same thing. They can like Green Robin, I'm just saying I don't personally like it. Sorry if it came off differently that I wanted it to. It was meant to be like 50% sarcastic.

Bah! More Green and Gold Robin for me! Thats my jam, and im ok being S O L O with it. B:

Kek, I guess more Pink Robin for me then.