Exorcism in my Apartment?!

TheWanderer864

post-17164-0-92984200-1470851260_thumb.png

Last night this happened and I would really appreciate any honest feedback and opinions. I also wanted to vent a little...

Note: I live in room C shown on the layout. This was literally happening right outside my bedroom door. Also, it's that time of year when some people have moved out and others haven't quite moved in yet, so it's just me and my roommate.

I was minding my own business when I hear some of my roommate's friends come over. A little bothered because my roommate and her friends can get loud, but whatever, I'll deal with it. Then some crazy shit starts happening. My roommate starts exaggeratedly praising god and jesus, others speak in tongue, and someone is making burping/gagging noises. I tried turning on my TV to drown them out...then tried turning the volume up louder...and louder, but I could still hear them and I swear they were getting louder because I had the TV on. At this point I decided to record the insanity as proof, which I have included in the post. Needless to say, this made me extremely uncomfortable.

This isn't the first time something similar has happened in my apartment and there are other issues that make me uneasy living here and/or inviting anyone over. I contacted the Resident Director of the complex today. So my questions are these: Am I justified in feeling this way and contacting the Resident Director? Should the complex do SOMETHING to resolve this issue? What do y'all think?

Yes.

Do it.

Even if there's nothing really happening, paranoia is not a nice thing to live with. If you have any doubts, leave. Easy peasy

Edited by Riptor

Did she bother the other roomates when they lived there?

If so, you could get their help. And if you have the recording, you should show the Director.

Another thing you could do is talk to her, and if she doesn't agree to stop, you should ask her to warn when she starts doing that.

I wish it were simple to leave, but then I would have to find a new place to live and find someone to sublease my room. At this point, I've also stopped speaking to my roommate for this very reason--she does things like this and talking loud or singing, sometimes late at night, that make it seem like she doesn't care. The other roommates I had actually seemed to get along with her somewhat, odd as that sounds.

If the others roomates liked her, then it's a little bit thougher.

But since it's only you and her now, you might have a better chance with the Director sonce there is no one to defend her yet.

I could tell you to just ignore her, but it's not that simple is it?

I think maybe talking to your roomate beforehand would be a good idea, saying that their loudness is bothering you and making you uncomfortable.

She could be like "ok, sorry about that" and her and her exorcist buds will be more mindful of you from now on. If it keeps happening despite you asking for her to be quieter, then yeah I would lodge a complaint.

Do you have any neighbours that you could you speak to? Maybe then can hear your friend's exocrism/DnD roleplay as well.

(Also if I was in your situation at the time I think I would just melt into a puddle, I get scared by small noises I hear during the night)

I think a chat with your roommate would be a good start. Dunno what your religious inclinations are, but it sounds like she's Christian, and is holding some sort of prayer session. If she doesn't want to cooperate, shoot me a PM.

Sounds like a regular prayer session in my church TBH. Not all prayer will be quiet, and certain variants of Christianity can get. . .lively, to put it mildly.

I think it would be okay, if she kept the noise down. It wouldn't be much different than, say, a study session for any college subject. The minute her group got loud enough to disturb those that aren't a part of the group is the minute it went over the line.

• 4 weeks later...