How to overcome emotional scenes ?

WinterOkami

Never actually cried from any scenes, but there a few that made me feel bad, like

-When you kill Oboro and Hinata. Especially Oboro.

-Flora's death. Namely because how Felicia reacts. It just hurts my heart.

-The Ryoma death scene. Now I don't think I can take it seriously anymore because now I'm seeing the imagery of him stabbing his balls.

Hmm, I should mention the Sakura chapter in Conquest. Sakura, her retainers, Yukimura all had good scenes throughout, with a lot of emotion.

I felt a brief lance of sadness when Xander and Elise died in BR. I thought Ryoma was cool when he seppuku'd his balls CQ. I only truly shed a tear for Zola in BR. I only shook my head when Flora released her mixtape in BR. I saved Kaze because I was not going to let him die so stupidly in BR. Lilith died? Izana should have lived in RV.

The first three of those scenes were executed relatively well in the narrative. In particular, Zola went through a character arc through the span of, like, two chapters. Flora, on the other hand, was a good character with sensible conflicts, only to be killed off in the most idiotic manner during the one route. A lot of the deaths in the game was done for shock value and to add "stakes" but ended having about as much effect as a game full of random jump scares—there is no build up, no connection to the characters and no reason to be there.

On a side note, I don't generally cry during games. The only portion of a game to date that I have sobbed like a baby about—and continue to do so each time I playis during the first stage of Clock Tower 3.

I don't necesseraly mean that made you cry but moreso emotionally touched.

But thanks for sharing your thoughts though appreciate it

My usual remedy for these kind of situations is to play Smash and beat the crap out of Corrin for a while. Although admittedly the last few chapters in Conquest were so infuriating that I had to put down the game altogether.

Oh

But thinking back at it drama is easily turned into comedy throughout most of the game's scenes and that's the great part about it.

The only really emotional scene that really got to me was when Elise died. I even cried.

I knew it was gonna happen (I had it spoiled for me), but I didn't know it would be that much of a gut-punch. I almost thought of stopping playing Birthright and go Conquest instead...

... but then, the sadness immediately turned into rage, when Xander spat onto Elise's dying wish, stepped on it, kicked it out the window and spat after it one more time. I was never so enraged by anything in a video game story before. I absolutely ENJOYED killing Xander and laughed when he died, proving himself to be a pathetic coward. Seriously, letting himself be killed by Corrin was the easy way out and in that moment, Xander effectively betrayed everything he stood for. I didn't even feel anything when he suddenly returned in that dream sequence. I just thought 'shut the fuck up, you bastard' until he disappeared.

Ryoma's death in Conquest was also very emotional, but I could only shake my head in hatred for the Nohrian Royals not named Elise at that point. Their stupidity killed the last lobster in Hoshido.

Then, there's Scarlets death, which feels so random and out of place that I sometimes forget Scarlet ever existed in Revelations.

Then, there's Lillith, whose death also comes right the heck out of nowhere, but considering the connection between her and Corrin, I can't give it too much flag, since the actual scene was really well written.

Flora's death is just stupid. No one monologues while burning to death. You scream and flail and search the nearest body of water.

Felicias derpy voice didn't help much either.

Azura's deaths in Hoshido and Nohr were... there, I guess. In Hoshido, I just thought 'shut up and die' while I was glad that she didn't have a Shakespearian death in Nohr and simply vanished like the useless plot device she was. I only felt sad that she did make it through Revelations.

Takumi died offscreen, apparently and my only thought was 'shame that he came back' when I saw him after kicking Gooron's slimey butt.

Mikoto's death in the beginning also got to me, but I believe it is just there to give you a reason to join Hoshido. And it is overshadowed by Corrin's transformation into a dragon.

Gunter's betrayal also was really well done, as well as the conversation after you defeat him. But I think prior knowledge from the Conquest supports is required to really feel the full impact this scene has (where you find out that Gunter always was like a father figure for Corrin).

To anyone who didn't play the game yet: sorry I spoiled everything for you...

How do I overcome emotional scenes?

Scenes that make me sad, make me really sad. It usually takes a while for me to recover. I usually go and play something a little bit less sad in the meantime.

Scenes that make me angry, however, like Xander's being a coward scene, I usually try to take out my rage on the in-game source and try my hardest to make the death of the anger-inducer especially brutal. In Xander's case, that would be a Dragon Fang crit.

Oh, and trash-talking. Lots and lots of trash-talking.

Because I've played Ghost Trick, I can almost cry at will by remembering a few lines of the ending. Few games can top that, even actually well-written ones.

Fates only managed to make me feel emotionally invested the first two times I played through chapter six, but seeing as Revelation made that chapter unnecessary anyway, all emotional impact has since been removed.

If this is a more general question, then my answer is simply that I don't do anything; I enjoy the scene, think about it, cry if necessary and then I move on with my life.

The only really emotional scene that really got to me was when Elise died. I even cried.

I knew it was gonna happen (I had it spoiled for me), but I didn't know it would be that much of a gut-punch. I almost thought of stopping playing Birthright and go Conquest instead...

... but then, the sadness immediately turned into rage, when Xander spat onto Elise's dying wish, stepped on it, kicked it out the window and spat after it one more time. I was never so enraged by anything in a video game story before. I absolutely ENJOYED killing Xander and laughed when he died, proving himself to be a pathetic coward. Seriously, letting himself be killed by Corrin was the easy way out and in that moment, Xander effectively betrayed everything he stood for. I didn't even feel anything when he suddenly returned in that dream sequence. I just thought 'shut the fuck up, you bastard' until he disappeared.

Ryoma's death in Conquest was also very emotional, but I could only shake my head in hatred for the Nohrian Royals not named Elise at that point. Their stupidity killed the last lobster in Hoshido.

Then, there's Scarlets death, which feels so random and out of place that I sometimes forget Scarlet ever existed in Revelations.

Then, there's Lillith, whose death also comes right the heck out of nowhere, but considering the connection between her and Corrin, I can't give it too much flag, since the actual scene was really well written.

Flora's death is just stupid. No one monologues while burning to death. You scream and flail and search the nearest body of water.

Felicias derpy voice didn't help much either.

Azura's deaths in Hoshido and Nohr were... there, I guess. In Hoshido, I just thought 'shut up and die' while I was glad that she didn't have a Shakespearian death in Nohr and simply vanished like the useless plot device she was. I only felt sad that she did make it through Revelations.

Takumi died offscreen, apparently and my only thought was 'shame that he came back' when I saw him after kicking Gooron's slimey butt.

Mikoto's death in the beginning also got to me, but I believe it is just there to give you a reason to join Hoshido. And it is overshadowed by Corrin's transformation into a dragon.

Gunter's betrayal also was really well done, as well as the conversation after you defeat him. But I think prior knowledge from the Conquest supports is required to really feel the full impact this scene has (where you find out that Gunter always was like a father figure for Corrin).

To anyone who didn't play the game yet: sorry I spoiled everything for you...

How do I overcome emotional scenes?

Scenes that make me sad, make me really sad. It usually takes a while for me to recover. I usually go and play something a little bit less sad in the meantime.

Scenes that make me angry, however, like Xander's being a coward scene, I usually try to take out my rage on the in-game source and try my hardest to make the death of the anger-inducer especially brutal. In Xander's case, that would be a Dragon Fang crit.

Oh, and trash-talking. Lots and lots of trash-talking.

Don't worry for Gunter internet randomly spoiled me about a couple of weeks ago.

I understand your pain though and I agree on all your points.

Funny thing is Azura's death sounded like a Pokemon movie where the pokemon stared in the movie makes the promise to revive and pretended to be dead only because I didn't know of BR and the fact the song destroyed her body.

Anyways I do hope Revelations has a brighter future for her because my thirst is divided between her and Kagero

I'm emotionally dead inside so nothing in the game touched me.

I laughed at most of the death scenes actually because of how silly they were. Like Elise just suddenly teleporting into Siegfried's path and somehow dying without actually having a visible wound, while Xander bawls like a baby then suddenly is good to fight moments later.

Or Flora being Sigurd 2.0.

I laughed at most of the death scenes actually because of how silly they were. Like Elise just suddenly teleporting into Siegfried's path and somehow dying without actually having a visible wound, while Xander bawls like a baby then suddenly is good to fight moments later.

I'm surprised people reacted so strongly to that scene. I'm not saying their feelings are invalid or childish or whatever, but I just personally don't see it.

Or Flora being Sigurd 2.0.

Those two need to have a conversation in the inevitable Fire Emblem Warriors game. Maybe Robin and Soren will suggest using fire magic in an upcoming battle and Flora and Sigurd will shudder.

I'll also toss money at my screen if they showed Sanaki slapping some sense into Xander like she did Hetzel.

Those two need to have a conversation in the inevitable Fire Emblem Warriors game. Maybe Robin and Soren will suggest using fire magic in an upcoming battle and Flora and Sigurd will shudder.

I want both Sigurd and Flora in a Battle of Chibi like stage. Arvis, Robin and Soren sets up the fire strike and directs the wind, Flora will be like Huang Gai and use the fire ship with her on it and Sigurd will be Cao Cao or someone similar going like "Why Arvis!?"

Edited by Raguna

I want both Sigurd and Flora in a Battle of Chibi like stage. Arvis, Robin and Soren sets up the fire strike and directs the wind, Flora will be like Huang Gai and use the fire ship with her on it and Sigurd will be Cao Cao or someone similar going like "Why Arvis!?"

"Alvis! YOU DASTARD!"

Sounds like an early episode of South Park. Who should be the one saying "oh my god! Alvis killed Sigurd!"?

honestly, the only scene even close to making me feel something was Ryoma's death,

other than that, every other death was a bit shit, heck I laughed a lot at Elise's death due to how random it was

I was sad at most of them, since I liked the characters...

Except Scarlet, totally was lame, and Izana, which was 100x lame. And pointless.

Lillith's death just annoyed me. I fed her so much, she's super strong, what why does she lose to loser Hans and random faceless? Are you serious game? I was sad though. My poor dragon fishy. How dare the game kill my pet.

I was not sad at all during Takumi's death because he spent an entire game being rude, mean, and a recurring enemy... So in Takumi's own words, 'Die already!'

Ryoma was legit sad, because he could have survived in other circumstances. And Elise as well. :( My precious little sister.