Ryo makes some solid ground as Roy

Jedi

Ryo vs Abadango, he forced Aba to change from Mewtwo with Roy, showing there might be depth that some people are unwilling to admit exists

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/4xp2ce/ssc_losers_top_24_abadango_vs_ryo/

https://clips.twitch.tv/tourneylocator2/BadHamsterMrDestructoid

https://clips.twitch.tv/tourneylocator2/BloodySquirrelBuddhaBar

Edited by Jedi

This is a huge wake-up for a lot of Roy mains tbh.

I just hope that people aren't like, "now Roy is getting results because Ryo showed what Roy can do." Rather this is more like a new sense of energy invigorated into us to start getting results and representing our boy. All the Roys are currently hyped to start getting better and getting results because now someone has showed us in a national level, that Roy has what it takes to compete with higher level competition. It instills a new sense of confidence.

Of course, there will be doubters and people who think Roy cannot do it. However, we just want to show people this character isn't bottom 20 and is just a solid mid-tier character. There will be people who will discourage players to main Roy, and spread misinformation about him to support their argument he's a bad character. However, there's a lot of hidden stuff that needs to be found, we just need more people to play him and try to develop him. The cast of Roy players is very small unfortunately.

Hopefully this opens a gateway for people to be more interested in maining him, dedicating time to him, or re-considering how they view him/place him on the tier list.

My view is rather optimistic, but I truly believe Roy's results will blow up 2017-2018. The meta is developing, but it's not quick enough to potentially keep on track with the lifespan of Smash 4. We're hopeful it will, but we just lack people and dedicated players.

Ryo vs Abadango, he forced Aba to change from Mewtwo with Roy, showing there might be depth that some people are unwilling to admit exists

this is edgier than the tip of marth's sword

roy is terrible, the end

Edited by Comet

this is edgier than the tip of marth's sword

i wouldn't mind if roy became high tier.

Hey I was one of those people :P:

I think he has potential, Ryo's set with Aba and playing friendlies with Jiac opened my eyes a bit.

Nah, I think this is somewhat similar (in a far lesser scale) to The Second Coming of Ganon a few weeks ago.

People that are extremely skilled do well with a mid-tier character and everyone jumps to the conclussion that the character is not garbage/has newfound potential. Sure N0ne won a major with Ganon, Eikelmann defeated Westballz's Falco, and Bizzarro Flame was Bizzarro Flame; all in less than a day, but that doesn't mean anything for the character, the players are the ones that are freaking insane.

Nah, I think this is somewhat similar (in a far lesser scale) to The Second Coming of Ganon a few weeks ago.

People that are extremely skilled do well with a mid-tier character and everyone jumps to the conclussion that the character is not garbage/has newfound potential. Sure N0ne won a major with Ganon, Eikelmann defeated Westballz's Falco, and Bizzarro Flame was Bizzarro Flame; all in less than a day, but that doesn't mean anything for the character, the players are the ones that are freaking insane.

Even someone like Esam can defeat Westballz though lmao as well as an overly rustic Ken, it isn't really an accomplishment in terms of a W over him, he's like the punching bag of Melee still.

I suppose a bit of overeaction is possible, but the fact that Aba switched from Mewtwo is kind of a telling sign that theres something there.

Edited by Jedi

So Abadango is a fantastic player with many characters. Is that the message in here?

He doesn't normally ever switch from Mewtwo is the main message here, he got scared of Ryo's Roy taking two games off him.

He doesn't normally ever switch from Mewtwo is the main message here, he got scared of Ryo's Roy taking two games off him.

Bizzarro Flame took a game of Armada's Fox by completely outplaying him "forcing" a "scared" Armada to change to Peach.

Clearly Ganondorf has tons of potential under your logic, right?

Bizzarro Flame took a game of Armada's Fox by completely outplaying him "forcing" a "scared" Armada to change to Peach.

Clearly Ganondorf has tons of potential under your logic, right?

There's a lot of parallels that don't add up in your analogy.

A better analogy would probably be like Shroomed and Dr. Mario stories.

Anyways, Armada's best character is obviously not his Fox, but his Peach. In this case of Abadango, Ryo's pocket Roy forced Aba off of his MAIN into a pocket.

Another thing is that Ganondorf was consistently a mid-tier in Melee. People never really argued Ganondorf was low-tier in Melee other than the uninformed. It's unlike Roy, where people suddenly placed him in low-tier causing people to massively sleep on him.

Lastly, at that moment, Ganondorf and Melee has been heavily explored. Smash 4 and Roy are still unexplored in some form, which still allows for the idea of potential. Roy is one of the more underdeveloped characters, yet he's still able to get 17th at LTC 4 and 33rd at CCC. Mind you Roy came out a year later than Marth. It must say something of how despite Roy has such a limited yet dedicated player base and somewhat slower developing meta, that he's able to get some pretty okay results. Even though he doesn't see as much play.

Edited by ~Summer~

There's a lot of parallels that don't add up in your analogy.

A better analogy would probably be like Shroomed and Dr. Mario stories.

Anyways, Armada's best character is obviously not his Fox, but his Peach. In this case of Abadango, Ryo's pocket Roy forced Aba off of his MAIN into a pocket.

Another thing is that Ganondorf was consistently a mid-tier in Melee. People never really argued Ganondorf was low-tier in Melee other than the uninformed. It's unlike Roy, where people suddenly placed him in low-tier causing people to massively sleep on him.

Lastly, at that moment, Ganondorf and Melee has been heavily explored. Smash 4 and Roy are still unexplored in some form, which still allows for the idea of potential. Roy is one of the more underdeveloped characters, yet he's still able to get 17th at LTC 4 and 33rd at CCC. Mind you Roy came out a year later than Marth. It must say something of how despite Roy has such a limited yet dedicated player base and somewhat slower developing meta, that he's able to get some pretty okay results. Even though he doesn't see as much play.

See, this is the effect that I'm talking about.

Is the idea that "there's so much unexplored about insert character here" solely based of a result. Saying that said result was mostly caused because of the character's potenial, denying any other possible factor or variable is going against basic rules of the universe, like the Theory of Chaos.

See, this is the effect that I'm talking about.

Is the idea that "there's so much unexplored about insert character here" solely based of a result. Saying that said result was mostly caused because of the character's potenial, denying any other possible factor or variable is going against basic rules of the universe, like the Theory of Chaos.

See Riptor.

Roy mains have mentioned it too, that he's being slept on and solely underrated. We don't expect him to be high tier. We think he can be, but there's definitely no way in our eyes he's low tier. Yet people will argue we're wrong and delusional even though they don't even play the character!

bizz is an amazing player. ryo is too. this doesn't mean much by itself. if it keeps going, then roy might be seen differently.

Needs more results than beating Abadango's Mewtwo, but still losing to his Rosalina. That's just one matchup. I doubt Roy beats Mewtwo either, I can see it being even though.

I agree. I hope we can start getting more results. Especially since some of us are considering going to majors now.

Roys think Mewtwo-Roy is even. I personally think it's slightly in Mewtwo's favor because his D-Tilt and N-Air are strong. Though it's probably more so my playstyle.

It's interesting that he loses to Abandango's Rosalina, since most Roys do think this is an even MU. I do think this is because of Ryo's style of Roy. Roy has a really safe way of getting rid of Luma through Flare Blade, which is lagless. Plus, a majority of Roy's moves get rid of Luma pretty well.

Edited by ~Summer~

• 3 weeks later...

Makes me feel good he wasn't particularly holding back against me, when going Roy. Went 2-3 in a friendlies' set with him when I was at the U.S, for whatever it's worth. :3 Friendlies or not, I was really hyped. He's also a really nice guy.

This isn't enough to guarante a great position, but I think is enough if make more people try Roy... Maybe one day he gets and a objetive position in the Tier Lists and more results.

Thing is, people are stupid and ignorant. They think, that if you don't have a whole viable moveset, you suck. "roy sucks because because". They don't even know, themselves, and poor character-representation among a 60-character cast (further hindered by people being blind), this stuff is going to happen. Roy is played in an specific way that is meant to address his strengths. He's quick, the moves you're supposed to use are quick (N-air, Jab, Grabs, abusing his fast ground and air speed to make use of good Shield and Grab game). a handful of underrated characters only really need like 5 moves to be viable, but people dare put excuses like "X character has lag [in a move you're not even using]". Characters like Charizard and Bowser play really well if you walk around their one real weakness, which is the fact they get juggled and "can't land" (way too stressed in theory, but never in practice). They have one of the better boxing games.

Thing is, people are stupid and ignorant. They think, that if you don't have a whole viable moveset, you suck. "roy sucks because because". They don't even know, themselves, and poor character-representation among a 60-character cast (further hindered by people being blind), this stuff is going to happen. Roy is played in an specific way that is meant to address his strengths. He's quick, the moves you're supposed to use are quick (N-air, Jab, Grabs, abusing his fast ground and air speed to make use of good Shield and Grab game). a handful of underrated characters only really need like 5 moves to be viable, but people dare put excuses like "X character has lag [in a move you're not even using]". Characters like Charizard and Bowser play really well if you walk around their one real weakness, which is the fact they get juggled and "can't land" (way too stressed in theory, but never in practice). They have one of the better boxing games.

They think Roy is Hyrule Tier just (but don't only in many cases) for the range.

Edited by Troykv

How do you even put a character than can actually do stuff in the same tier as Ganondorf.

Thing is, people are stupid and ignorant. They think, that if you don't have a whole viable moveset, you suck. "Ganondorf sucks because because". They don't even know, themselves, and poor character-representation among a 60-character cast (further hindered by people being blind), this stuff is going to happen. ganondorf is played in an specific way that is meant to address his strengths. He's slow but powerful, the moves you're supposed to use are quick (b-Air, Jab, Down B, Side-B abusing his great power and heavy weight to make use of good punish game). a handful of underrated characters only really need like 5 moves to be viable, but people dare put excuses like "Ganondorf has lag [in a move you're not even using like up tilt]". Characters like Charizard and Bowser play really well if you walk around their one real weakness, which is the fact they get juggled and "can't land" (way too stressed in theory, but never in practice). They have one of the better boxing games.

Edited by 20XX

• 2 weeks later...

yeah i watched that set, obviously it doesn't automatically mean Roy is high tier, it DOES show a ton of potential. Ryo did take 2 games off of the best mewtwo in the world, and ALMOST beat his Rosaluma. (2 top tier characters)

I'm definitely gonna put a bit more work into my Roy now after seeing that set though.

Edited by Ki11erpenguin