Ryo makes some solid ground as Roy

Jedi

Smash 4 Community drinking game:

Take a shot everytime the word "potential" is used.

If "Bidou" or "footstool combo" is said instead, drink water (this last part is necessary to not immediatly die of alcohol poisoning)

Katakiti though.

But anyway, Roy's okay but not high tier.

Japanese player, I take? Will definitely give it a look.

If "Bidou" or "footstool combo" is said instead, drink water (this last part is necessary to not immediatly die of alcohol poisoning)

I actually made a satire on how overdone the whole Twitter-posting some 0-to-death (or 0-to-fuckton of damage) that's heavily situational and is never really used in an actual match, ever, let alone a tournament.

I actually made a satire on how overdone the whole Twitter-posting some 0-to-death (or 0-to-fuckton of damage) that's heavily situational and is never really used in an actual match, ever, let alone a tournament.

but they are used. the only barrier is if the player can execute it.

Be careful choosing to pick up a character when you see its rep do something cool once or twice. Ryo beating Abadango's Mewtwo is certainly impressive, but doesn't necessarily translate to him having a good MU on Mewtwo or even being viable in upper metagame. He could have been thrown off by lack of MU inexperience (from what I've seen ROy doesn't seem very popular in Japan either) or just been completely outplayed. If you're gonna stay local anyway it doesn't matter, main who you want.

I do think Roy can be a valuable counterpick though, especially since people don't know how to play against him.

but they are used. the only barrier is if the player can execute it.

Thing is, they don't. When you say stuff like that, then you might as well put all those fancy tech skill stuff into play, when it never really happens in an actual match. Like, ever. You can showcase Mewtwo 0-death'ing Sheik all you want, but it's not going to happen.

Thing is, they don't. When you say stuff like that, then you might as well put all those fancy tech skill stuff into play, when it never really happens in an actual match. Like, ever. You can showcase Mewtwo 0-death'ing Sheik all you want, but it's not going to happen.

but, they do... that's just what came to mind even though the combo in that video was patched out.

Edited by Comet

Japanese player, I take? Will definitely give it a look.

Nah Katakiri is a cool Roy in the northern US (forgot where specifically).

A Japanese Roy I know of though is Onies. He's reckless with his spacing, but he does make very good use of B-reverse Flare Blade and DED. Tbh if he practiced his spacing more, he'd be a really good Roy.

Be careful choosing to pick up a character when you see its rep do something cool once or twice. Ryo beating Abadango's Mewtwo is certainly impressive, but doesn't necessarily translate to him having a good MU on Mewtwo or even being viable in upper metagame. He could have been thrown off by lack of MU inexperience (from what I've seen ROy doesn't seem very popular in Japan either) or just been completely outplayed. If you're gonna stay local anyway it doesn't matter, main who you want.

I do think Roy can be a valuable counterpick though, especially since people don't know how to play against him.

In my opinion as a Roy main, you only have these two options with him: Main Roy, or develop him as a counterpick/pocket Roy.

I don't think secondary Roy will be viable, unless you main Villager. But that would be more like dual maining Villager and Roy.

Roy requires a lot more dedication than a lot of characters. Though he will likely see use as a counterpick, since he does have a vicious punish game that can be fine-tuned for specific characters. Roy has combo potential for all combo weights, you just need to practice combos for the specific character. He also can be used as a counterpick to a character who does poorly against the following top/high tiers: Zero Suit Samus, Ryu, Rosalina and Luma, Mewtwo, and Cloud.

The amount of time you dedicate into him, makes me think he'll fall off if you put time into him like a regular secondary. The only time I see that as viable is if you formerly mained Roy. You're making the commitment of dual maining if you're adding Roy as a secondary.

That brings me to Roy as a main. If you're dedicating main time to Roy, I feel like it'll definitely pay-off so long as you're practicing properly and have good fundamentals. Although many claim certain MUs are bad for Roy, his moveset has the volatility to make a difference at any given moment. Playstyle, habits and style all play a factor in how Roy mains create their match-up charts. It's so drastic, in fact, Roy mains themselves can't decide what are his bad MUs. The only consistent ones are Diddy and Sheik, while people consider it really bad... Sethlon has beaten the best Sheik in Texas (Karna) and Dexter has beaten K9's Diddy. His MU spread seems full of 50-50s, with some 55-45 (Sheik, Diddy, R.O.B probably etc.) But, he does win MUs with characters he outranges, or fail to zone him out like Game and Watch, Wii Fit Trainer and Pacman.

Tl;dr Roy takes time, but the time it takes is equivalent to maining him, or pocketing him for specific things. He is probably going to be more used as a counterpick character, though it is possible to main him outright.

Edited by Jiegg

I know about Umeki, you know. Try harder.

Also, "they" is kind of plural.

0 to death combos was the subject. last time i checked, that was a plural. no need to be cheeky anyway.

if you know about somebody that can execute death combos, why did you object? it's completely illogical.

and the sky is blue?

Edited by Comet

Yeah, like, one fucking dude in the Universe. Now say that to every Japanese random boasting their footsie combos only to be nobodies in tournament (if they even appear).

I'd be less sarcastic if you weren't trying to contraddict me for the sake of it.

EDIT: OKaY THaT WaS KIND OF MEaN. But, like, we're cool.

Edited by Soul~!

What a lot of people fail to mention is that Ryo did SD in that first match with Rosalina. Once that happened, the combination of rage and mindgames coming from Abadango made that game's momentum just end. I personally feel that if Ryo hadn't SD that round, he might have won.

As a counter argument to myself, however, it is quite possible that Roy was such a surprise pick that no one expected anything from that made Abadango lose in the first place, (such as in the SF tournaments where the champion wins using Dan Hibiki).

As a Roy fan, I would like to stay optimistic in that he is at least mid tier.

Edited by KFrosty