Zelkami's gallery-thingy

Zelkami

The positives are that I can tell who the character is at first glance and the outline is pretty accurate.

Negatives: Whatever clothing is on Malice is pillowshaded pretty harshly. The hair is a blobby, especially in the resize. The cleavage is contoured waaaaay too much and is too stark. She seems to be missing a little bit of jaw.

Keep at it! With a good cleaning, it'll be solid.

• 2 weeks later...

More updates.

zyWemOU.pngStill not sure if I have this one in a good place. I feel like I have the right colors for the hair dye, but they just need to be arranged properly. Thoughts?

kOfy6lB.png 6O3ry6T.pngI'm more confident in this one. My only real issue with it is the trim over the hood.

0FIculA.pngTrying to be a bit more experimental with some of the hand sprites. If it doesn't look any good, here's what it looks like without the hand.

XT7xF1e.png

Bonus: Sassy hands. DNOS58Y.png

I'm never satisfied with this character, so I remade her for the 3rd time.

v2ECs6A.png

I realized though that the character is asymmetrical, so I needed to make a second sprite of her facing the other direction. Not sure if it turned out right. First time changing a sprite in this manner.

R3jjCt7.png

This is what the sprite might look like in motion.

LiveWhoppingAntarcticfurseal.gif

Bonus! Guy who isn't quite finished.

P0tf6GR.png

Both directions for that person are pretty pillowy. For the far side of the face, its better to make most of it second shade (or 3rd if you're into fe8 shading). and for a lot of other areas it looks like you might have just been overzealous with anti aliasing. For areas that are going to be lighter you don't need that much anti aliasing and don't be afraid to let the lightest and darkest colors touch.

The pillowing on the face is actually intentional. The character is supposed to have sort of a gaunt look to them, so I tried to make it look like she has sunken in features. I'll try to fix that in other areas though. Also, I must apologize, but can you give me an example of an area where I'm using anti-aliasing? I don't really know how the term applies to pixel art.

EDIT: Went ahead and tried clearing things up anyway.

9lnq8ct.pngJ4eMyP5.png

Improved?

Sprite in motion again. 

8fb5beb0-f5d6-11e6-b010-af7af76ed6fb.gif

Edited by Zelkami

I fixed the problem. I cheated a bit and used some pieces from Nergal to refine the headband, but the rest is all custom. Minimug could probably use some work though.

XbHiDXL.png

eaed36a042d0877e511d05e38849cd78.jpg

Edited by Zelkami

There's a lot of really heavy banding/pillowing going on, which makes the shading feel super clumpy, as well as excessive use of borders.

The minimug is also kind of unidentifiable, since it looks like you just tried to downsize the entire thing into a 32x32 box. The easiest way to do minis is to shrink normal mug by 50%, then crop and clean to fit a 32x32 square.

I tried following your advice, but I don't really feel like it's noticeably better looks much better. The minimug actually looks in line with the others now though.

DSvz865.png

Edited by Zelkami

5f7552f1c3597d903269b2c5c2f2b398.png
somewhere in the middle of this i decided i'd done too much, so i quit
but here's just kinda what i mean

cases in point:
hair - your hair really tends to stick strictly against the darkest bits instead of letting each color just do its thing
body - it's like straight up a lot of darkest to lightest gradiating skin tones when you can honestly do whatever permutations of light and dark tones as long as they look decent
armor - tones are allowed to touch without using border color

like, honestly, i usually think of spriting more like trying to infer shape with colors, rather than trying to fill in lineart with shading

Edited by Teapot

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I like the design of it. Although, the hand is too small (Lilina's hand seems bigger ...) and you draw her left hand and placed it over her right shoulder. Except if the has superlong boneless arms, the pose is impossible. I think her thumb is meant to be on the other side of her hand !

I think you could add a bit of 3rd shade on the top of her head to give more depth and volume. Also it's lacking the earring shading on the har

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2017 at 10:58 PM, Kratos Aurion said:

I like the design of it. Although, the hand is too small (Lilina's hand seems bigger ...) and you draw her left hand and placed it over her right shoulder. Except if the has superlong boneless arms, the pose is impossible. I think her thumb is meant to be on the other side of her hand !

Thanks. I thought there was something wrong with it fundamentally. This sounds like stuff I can fix. Will get back to it at some point.

hcjcMYI.png

This one took way too long and still has room for improvement. 

Edited by Zelkami

• 4 weeks later...