Metal Gear: Survive

Jedi

So this just dropped, um... I was wondering where something relating to metal gear was in this entire trailer, did any of you see it? (Other than the beginning obviously).

I did not think I'd see a company "miss the point" of a series quite as hard as Federation Force, but hey looks like Konami is right there too. Like Revengance was obviously straying from the formula but they were upfront with that at least and had platinum work on it, but this... I don't see even a hint of relation.

Edited by Jedi

Best Metal Gear game of the year 10/10 Konami does it again.

Oh man the sarcasm is so strong with you! I still can't believe what I saw when you linked this to me lol.

What can I say? Konami does it again. Say what you will about the mega corporation, but the one thing you can't say is that they aren't predictable. Year after year, they are coming up with unique ways of reinventing their franchises in ways that fans wouldn't even dream of. Sure, some might say that they have "nothing to do with the original source material" or that they "look stupid and derivative", but these people are missing the bigger picture here. Konami's risk taking attitude when it comes to changing their franchises without a care in the world of who they might piss off is what we need more in the video game industry, and I'm sure most people can agree that this is preferable to Nintendo rehashing their game concepts ad naseum. Super Mario World? Super Metroid? Ocarina of Time? Nah fam, just sign me up for some Metal Gear Survive.

I can't wait to hear about the many ways in which microtransactions will enhance the gameplay experience.

Still, this is a good addition to the Metal Gear canon. Well, at least it's part of my headcanon now that the Wandering Motherbase Soldiers lost their mind due to getting trapped in a shitty cash-in.

Edited by BrightBow

Dat like/dislike bar tho

As a longtime MGS fan, I'm curious where this will go, but at the same time, I'm not very hopeful.

Also, Refa, couldn't tell if you were serious or not, but there's a difference from taking a risk with a series to being whatever the fuck this is. Zelda Windwaker was a risk, Mega Man X/Zero was a risk, and Crash Twinsanity was a risk. This, this is completely jumping the shark.

Edited by MCProductions

Oh, they're still doing games? I thought I heard Konami went into the pachinko business...guess not.

Anywho......it's...something to say the very least.

Metal Gear going Resident Evil(maybe 5 or 6). And online! Yay(?)

......yeah, I don't have much to add here. EXCEPT that this series is good...with Kojima. Don't know how things will turn out now...

Dat like/dislike bar tho

Dear lord... 2K/24K(Like/Dislike)

The salt/hate is real! ;3

I guess there was something I should say though. I tend to be cautiously optimistic. I usually try to find enjoyment out of games themselves regardless of what kind of names are attached to. Metal Gear Rising in DmC Devil May Cry come to mind. As their own games, I feel like they are fine. But Metal Gear Rising is a bit different than Metal Gear Solid and doesn't really have much to do what the rest of the Metal Gear games as far as I know, but I still think it is a very enjoyable game. DmC Devil May Cry, on the other hand, missed the mark on what I like in the series, notably so how Dante's character is in that game compared to the rest of the series. But it is still a decent game, I like 3 and 4 better than it, but I would play it over 1 any day... I have never played 2, but people consider it the worst..... Anywho, in my opinion, it seems that one of the biggest sins a game can have is what name it is attached to. And sometimes people will write off the game because it is attached to a certain game series and it doesn't live up to their expectations.... I don't think anything is wrong with that logic per se, but it isn't a philosophy I follow. And sometimes simply detaching a name from a well recognized series will change people's thoughts on a game

To summarize: I'm not writing this game off quite yet, I'll have to see more from it to make my decision.

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

To summarize: I'm not writing this game off quite yet, I'll have to see more from it to make my decision.

That's my thoughts on it for the most part. I mean, a quality product is a quality product regardless of how out of left field it seems. I very much enjoyed TMS#FE despite everything that game had going against it, and I'll probably play this at the very least. Unfortunately, it doesn't look that good to me, but there's a difference in seeing something and playing something.

What can I say? Konami does it again. Say what you will about the mega corporation, but the one thing you can't say is that they aren't predictable. Year after year, they are coming up with unique ways of reinventing their franchises in ways that fans wouldn't even dream of. Sure, some might say that they have "nothing to do with the original source material" or that they "look stupid and derivative", but these people are missing the bigger picture here. Konami's risk taking attitude when it comes to changing their franchises without a care in the world of who they might piss off is what we need more in the video game industry, and I'm sure most people can agree that this is preferable to Nintendo rehashing their game concepts ad naseum. Super Mario World? Super Metroid? Ocarina of Time? Nah fam, just sign me up for some Metal Gear Survive.

I think this is the correct line of thinking. Think about all the games over the years that have reinvented their franchises in similar ways.

Games like Metroid Prime, Super Mario 64, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night have made drastic changes to their series' original formula but have been critically acclaimed and loved by fans.

Now think about all the boring, rehashed sequels to well-loved games. Games like Dark Souls 2, Metroid Prime 2, Batman: Arkham Origins, and many of the Call of Duty games and the newer Mario games Nintendo has been making, despite gaining decent scores from critics, have often been criticized as not living up to the originals and not being unique enough to stand out as their own games and be worth playing over their predecessors.

Clearly, games like Metal Gear Survive are the direction other companies that aren't doing very well like Nintendo should be going in. I'm glad Konami is going in such a bold, new direction with their series, even after the departure of Hideo Kojima, and I hope more companies follow their example.

Edited by unique

I think this is the correct line of thinking. Think about all the games over the years that have reinvented their franchises in similar ways.

Games like Metroid Prime, Super Mario 64, and Castlevania: Symphony of the Night have made drastic changes to their series' original formula but have been critically acclaimed and loved by fans.

Now think about all the boring, rehashed sequels to well-loved games. Games like Dark Souls 2, Metroid Prime 2, Batman: Arkham Origins, and many of the Call of Duty games and the newer Mario games Nintendo has been making, despite gaining decent scores from critics, have often been criticized as not living up to the originals and not being unique enough to stand out as their own games and be worth playing over their predecessors.

Clearly, games like Metal Gear Survive are the direction other companies that aren't doing very well like Nintendo should be going in. I'm glad Konami is going in such a bold, new direction with their series, even after the departure of Hideo Kojima, and I hope more companies follow their example.

Here's the thing tho, all three of those examples you mentioned still followed the old formula, just with major differences in mechanics. Mario 64 was still at the end of the day a platformer where a fat man saves a princess from a turtle dragon, Metroid Prime was still a game about exploring a unknown world and getting stronger as you progress, and C:SotN was still about exploring a castle to eventually kill Dracula. There's a difference between taking an existing franchise in a new direction and something that completely jumped the shark, and Metal Gear has always been a game where you unravel an international conspiracy be it thru stealth, hacking and slashing, or playing a card game. This looks NOTHING like unraveling any government conspiracy. Hell, the description of the game flat out fucking states it takes place in a AU. If your gonna do that as well as change the core gameplay so drastically, then just make a new IP or make the spinoff in a series where it would at least make a small semblance of sense like Castlevania.

Lets not forget we also got Metal Gear Revengeance. A beat em up game that plays nothing like the original series. But at the same time, it was praised pretty widely too mostly because it still retained the lore and the over the top cinematic stuff that Metal Gear is kind of known for.

The biggest issue I think people are seeing with this is that it looks like your average third person zombie survival shooter. There doesn't seem to be anything unique about it that makes it distinct and I think that's the main problem with it. Not to mention it is being released during the time when people wanted a continuation of MGS5.

I agree.

I'm sick and tired of people praising uninspired sequels like Ocarina of Time (that is a literal copy of A Link to the Past, thjat's a literal copy of the first Legend of Zelda) because it appeals to their nostalgia. Have you seens The Elder Scrolls? Those guys have made the SAME GAME FIVE TIMES only changing the name.

Look at all the retarded hype behind Battlefield 1, just because it's an exact copy of the original Battlefield game. Look at all the people raging on the new Call of Duty for trying something new.

Konami is the bravest company, and is leading the charge the way it should. Improving, getting rid of the"creative" talents that just rehashed the old games, and going for something new, and now they are getting shit for it.

I will not stand for it.

I'm not buying the NX until Wii Fit: Survival of the Fittest and Metroid: Undead Mission become a thing.

I agree.

I'm sick and tired of people praising uninspired sequels like Ocarina of Time (that is a literal copy of A Link to the Past, thjat's a literal copy of the first Legend of Zelda) because it appeals to their nostalgia. Have you seens The Elder Scrolls? Those guys have made the SAME GAME FIVE TIMES only changing the name.

Look at all the retarded hype behind Battlefield 1, just because it's an exact copy of the original Battlefield game. Look at all the people raging on the new Call of Duty for trying something new.

Konami is the bravest company, and is leading the charge the way it should. Improving, getting rid of the"creative" talents that just rehashed the old games, and going for something new, and now they are getting shit for it.

I will not stand for it.

I'm not buying the NX until Wii Fit: Survival of the Fittest and Metroid: Undead Mission become a thing.

Huh? The Elder Scrolls has changed drastically, they don't use procedural generation like back in 1996 in Daggerfall and unless you're going to say that they're all still open world RPGs they changed enough for people to be mad every time a new game comes out lol. They have a core fanbase to satisfy, they aren't going to just drop anything and make something completely new, that would be fiscally stupid.

If anything, games like Dynasty Warriors and Pokemon are better examples that see incremental change and yet are still pretty popular, despite having little to no innovation (which isn't really that important, especially for triple A games that don't have the leniency to experiment over say, indie games) between games. And that's fine, because people still have interest in them.

You could argue about what is and isn't a rehash but doing the complete opposite and making games as if you have schizophrenia isn't exactly the best approach either.

Edited by Tryhard

I personally don't immediately hate it. It feels a bit oit of left field, yes, but that doesn't mean it's gonna suck.

Like mentioned before, TMS#FE was a really good game, despite what it looked or seemed liked.

The same can go for games like PM:Color Splash and M:Federation Force. Don't hate them, just...doesn't seem as appealing. But hey, they could be good...or not.

I try to keep a mind frame I had with Fire Emblem.

I'm not really sure about it, but if I give it a chance, it might be better than I think (heck, Fire Emblem is one of my favorite video game series now because I had that mindset)! But that's just me...

I have absolutely zero hope for whatever Konami's trying to do with this thing actually resulting in a good game. Others may be able to, but after witnessing the slow, painful, degrading death of the Silent Hill franchise under Konami's mismanagement, I have no faith that Konami can put out something good, especially with Kojima gone. It really doesn't help that this game reminds me of a pretty awful game: Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City, which was a similar attempt to make a co-op third person shooter clumsily inserted at a point in the timeline where it made no sense.

I am honestly surprised. I did not think my opinion of Konami could possibly fall any lower. They consistently surprise me with their gradually more and more suicidal business decisions.

The only thing I can happily say is that its inevitable failure will be very, very amusing to watch.