RWBY Volumes 1-3 Thoughts/Review- A work in progress with progress being half the fun

The DanMan

So, a couple months ago I started watching Rooster Teeth's faux-anime web series, RWBY (I say "started watching" when I mean "watched every released episode over the weekend"- 8 hours, in all). The show was hyped up upon its reveal, with Monty Oum at the helm; upon the first Volume's debut, however, mixed reactions caused that hype to fizzle out. That is, until the beginning of this year, when Volume 3 was finishing up. At that point, the show surpassed Red vs Blue in popularity on RT's website. With volume screenings in select theaters, a growing amount of merchandise from places like Hot Topic, (a glorified fan-game that's a crappy excuse of) a hack-and-slash launching on Steam, Volume 4 premiering on October 22 (with trailers for each main character that will be released leading up to it's premier), and freakin' books to extend the universe coming in 2017, the series has definitely taken off.

Why, though? Why did it become so popular? Why do people like it so much?

I've been thinking about those questions quite a bit, so I have decided to write a review of the three released volumes (which are pretty much all one season, due to length and pacing). I'll be upfront and say the show's flawed- but if you've read the title, you may be able to guess where this is going.

I'm going to make this as spoiler-free as possible, with more spoilery comments/thoughts hidden away under the appropriate tag at the bottom. I'll start off with a synopsis, before giving my thoughts on each volume, and then concluding with some general thoughts at the end.

What the heck is this show about?

Humanity has always been locked in a struggle with The Grimm- basically, think Heartless but based off of real-life animals and with Oni mask-like faces. 4 Kingdoms across the world eventually formed, with defenders to keep The Grimm at bay- Huntsman and Huntresses. These Hunters use specialized weapons to fight The Grimm, but also something else- aura. To quote one character, "It's like a force-field". It's basically used to let characters get slapped around and get up only winded, as well as a quasi-justification for "anime physics" stuff in the show. Technically, it's a "projection of a person's soul"- every living creature has it (and Grimm explicitly don't- hence the Heartless comparison). Those who refine their aura eventually unlock their semblance- a special ability that's tied to their very soul. There's moving so fast that it may as well be short-range teleportation, leaving behind weaponized after-images, turning into an animal, telekinesis on a fairly large scale- you get the picture.

The show focuses on four huntresses in particular; first year students at Beacon Academy (basically this universe's Hogwarts), who get involved in something big and end up slowly getting involved in and uncovering an "end of the world as we know it" plan. That's pretty much all I'll say here.

So, nothing super original- I straight-up made Kingdom Hearts and Harry Potter comparisons. It's definitely very anime inspired- a Japanese artist did the first concept art for the characters, the show's started to take off in Japan, and what we've seen of volume 4 and the new animation tools almost definitely has it looking like a 3D anime.

If you can't stand some stock anime tropes, then yeah this show isn't for you.

Moving on... .

Volume 1

I'll be upfront: it's a 2-hour pilot that was released in sixteen parts. If you started watching when Volume 1 was first airing and dropped it, I can't blame you. There's no real continuous plot thread throughout the whole season, and the out of combat animation is fairly stiff- the program they used wasn't even meant for animation (Poser 2014), and was used by Monty Oum's insistence because that's what he was familiar with. The natural environments have this simplistic "artistic" feel to them, while the man-made environments are fairly by the numbers. Also, background characters are animated as silhouettes- which are mostly using models of pre-existing characters. The voice acting, though not as bad as what was demonstrated in the original trailers, is a bit amateurish from the main characters. This makes sense, as they didn't have much experience going in- they improve quite a bit for the next two volumes.

As I said earlier, it's basically one big pilot- it's best watched in one or two sittings. The point of this volume was to establish the characters and setting.

The highlight of the volume is episode 8, with a major fight scene. They put a lot of effort into it, and with how fluid and awesome it turned out to be, it shows. 8 characters, split into groups of four (the fair main character and the four main supporting characters), each taking on a different monster. They went all out- this was Monty Oum's area of expertise, after all. There's bits of action throughout the volume, but it's mostly focused here.

The ending of the volume mostly teases things to come- which works nicely now, since you can watch what's to come, but for the people watching when it was first releasing, a tease as a climax didn't work for everybody.

On it's own, it's not that great and is nothing special.

Volume 2

The show hits its stride here; the volume is made up of 12 episodes, but is three hours long. Now that the characters have been established and been through things together, more is done with their interactions. There's a fair amount of stuff in this volume that made me actually laugh out loud. The plot starts moving a bit and more of the actual antagonists are shown.

One of my favorite scenes in particular has the main characters discuss what drives them. One of them, who had already had the most development from Volume 1 to 2, gave an answer that made me respect her a lot- enough that she's my favorite character in the series (and yes, that's who my avi is of).

The animation has gotten noticeably better; the environments have improved, and the background silhouettes have been retired. Out-of-combat animation is also smoother, due to the use of motion capture software.

The VA's have also grown into their roles, making things on a whole much better than volume 1.

There are three episodes with major fight scenes in them: episodes 4, 11, and 12. Of those, 4 is my favorite- you see teamwork between the main characters, a couple side characters get in on things, and overall it's flashy and fun. 11 is a different situation, with a sense of urgency and functioning more as a series of 1v1 encounters.

12- which is the Volume finale -is disappointing. It's too large scale, with too many characters each fighting their own little fight. Instead of any big fights, it feels like it's back and forth between smaller ones in a vacuum- in episode 11, it was still a bit smaller scale and felt like four consecutive fight scenes.

And then the worst offender; basically, the cavalry comes and what had been built up as a very dangerous situation ends up getting swept away. It was rushed, but it serves to highlight a problem with the first two volumes' fight scenes: there's no real tension. Either the good guys completely curbstomp the bad guys, or the bad guys curbstomp the good guys only for the good guys to get reinforced.

The ending of volume 2, continuing the trend of "all three volumes are really one season", feels like more of a mid-season finale. Granted, it's definitely not as disappointing as volume 1's ending, but it's certainly not climactic.

Volume 3

The creator and lead animator/writer Monty Oum died mid-production. Some people feared that the show would be cancelled, but co-director Kerry Shawcross and co-writer Miles Luna stepped up and took over. What happened is the most divisive volume to date.

The volume starts out with (and largely takes place around) a tournament. I'll be honest: the first three episodes have what I consider the worst fights in the series. The 4v4 tournament fights have this stilted feeling to them- some blame the lack of Monty's involvement, while I believe this is a problem with the show in general. When you have to focus on different characters each doing their own thing, the flow of combat kinda gets wrecked. This happened at the end of Volume 2, and honestly I didn't even notice it at first this time- a testament more towards how well-choreographed the fight scenes were in the first two volumes than these scenes being bad. Talking is a free action, indeed, and the fighters introduced in the 4v4 segments come off as completely incompetent.

Then episode 3 has a 1v1 fight, and... it's my least favorite fight in the series. The animation is stilted, it's not that long, and it relies way too much on effects; parts of it feel like a stereotypical DBZ fight.

However, the rest of the fights in the volume range from decent to good; the very next fight, a 2v2, feels just like something out of the first two volumes (the music helped). In general, I'm less of the inclination to say "Monty's gone, therefore the animation sucks now" and think that it's largely "Their lead animator died and they've got a bunch of fights at the beginning that don't really matter in the grand scheme of things; hence they were just getting their bearings and cut some corners".

The big thing that happened in this volume is the story. The story really gets moving. The thing is, the first three volumes were mostly written out at the same time. However, Monty Oum decided to add an aspect to the show in this volume that wasn't planned. It's not done perfectly, but it was mostly passable. However, a certain instance makes a few characters feel like idiots, and the antagonists' complete domination feels a bit too complete. It's one plot hole that could easily be missed, but it just doesn't reflect well on certain characters.

Oh, yeah. This volume gets dark. It's probably the darkest thing Rooster Teeth has ever put out. A couple side characters die (one of which who pretty much got promoted to main character for part of the season). Other stuff happens to characters, and some people found this turn of events disarming. The thing is, I saw them coming; most of the big stuff was foreshadowed, and the music lyric's were hinting at something big. Though some people didn't like the character deaths, I did.

It got the series moving and felt climactic. We also, unfortunately, got to see how Monty Oum had been both a blessing and a curse to the project.

There's a Diablos Ex Machina towards the end that gets completely nullified by something that was hinted at but used as a Deus Ex Machina. The Diablos Ex and the aforementioned plot hole really illustrates that Monty Oum is no storyteller. Even though the volume was released after his death, he still had a hand in things. The Deus Ex (which is a reveal of a certain characters' powers) could've been handled very differently and much better involving only the removal of the Diablos Ex.

My problem is that people have taken to blaming this on Kerry and Miles (the current director and writer of the series, respectively), when from what we've seen they did make changes, and most who've seen them agree those changes were for the better; they just couldn't change big things, because of the various issues of doing so in the midst of production after Monty's passing. Miles wrote the Chorus Trilogy for Red vs Blue (which, though it has it's detractors, I'd say was solidly written and properly built up/foreshadowed big twists and events), so I have hopes for Volume 4- since they only have a basic outline left behind by Monty, and the changes that they made bode well to me.

Though Volume 3 itself had it's flaws, it got the story moving forward and opened up more venues for character development. The things that happened to certain characters will have major effects on them, be it confronting massive barriers or simply moving on.

The Soundtrack

One of the things that's been consistently great throughout the show has been the soundtrack. Composed by Rooster Teeth veteran Jeff Williams and sung by his daughter Casey Lee Williams, it's awesome. There's pumping alt-rock tracks galore, but there's also variety to it. The lyrics are attuned to specific characters/events- heck, both the volume 1 and 2 intro themes teased the dark turn of events in volume 3.

Conclusion

RWBY is a show that's taken a while to gain it's footing; it's not flawless by any means, and it's not for everybody. But I've found something that I enjoy a lot and am looking forward to the future of- something that generally doesn't happen with me outside of videogames. As the review title says, half the fun (for me at least) has been watching the show grow and progress- even when it's held back by low production values or the creator's death. Plus, the seeds have been planted for interesting main characters- seeds that are beginning to sprout.

It's certainly not amazing, but it's become something almost special to me- it's something that I'm a fan of. There are things that I like, and there are things I'm a fan of. Harry Potter, Halo- I like those things. Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem,- I'm a fan of those things.

I recognize it's issues, but enjoy it nonetheless.

Now, for those of you who don't care about spoilers/have watched the show, here are my comments on a few certain spoilery things:

If you're wondering what Kerry and Miles changed in volume 3, three things:

-Raven was supposed to attack JNPR during an intermission in the tournament. That would've accomplished as much as the tournament fights themselves- i.e., nothing.

-Yang was supposed to defeat Adam and not lose her arm. Biggest change overall.

-Pyrrha's death would've been handled differently. Basically, the only reason she would've lost and died was because Jaune got in the way. This would've made Pyrrha out to be even more of a Mary Sue and re-ignited the Jaune hatedom.

Also, sorry I'm not sorry for the "Yang lost her arm" joke. If you didn't see it, read again.

I wasn't attached to Pyrrha- she never had any real development and was always meant to be a side character. If all three volumes had been released as one season, I'd wager there would've been much less uproar simply because people wouldn't have been as attached to her.

The Silver Eyed Warriors stuff was poorly foreshadowed. The thing is, if it hadn't been so dramatic, it probably would've worked. Say, remove the Grim Wyvern from the situation- Cinder kills Pyrrha and then Ruby gains a silver aura and engages Cinder, only for Qrow/Glenda/Ironwood together to drive her back. Ruby would still white out, the school could still be a Grim hotspot, but the Wyvern wouldn't have been involved- meaning no Diablos Ex Machina.

Edited by The DanMan

I mean, yeah. That sums everything up really nicely. I like the Heartless comparison to Grimm, it actually works really well.

I Burn is the best part of the OST just saying.

I mean, yeah. That sums everything up really nicely. I like the Heartless comparison to Grimm, it actually works really well.

I Burn is the best part of the OST just saying.

I'm surprised I haven't seen the comparison done more- to me, that was one of the first things I thought of.

And "I May Fall" is my favorite track. Shows how far they planned things in advance that a song that went unused in Volume 1 was used in volume 3's climax. And being the Weiss fanboy that I am, that summoning... .

If you're wondering about the "certain instance", it's Qrow running in on Cinder's gang right after she defeated the Fall Maiden. Yeah, he didn't get a clear look at their faces, but he knows roughly what they look like and what their powers/fighting styles are; he should've given out those details, meaning they could've spotted the infiltrators a bit eariler. As-is, he (and by extension the rest of the Oz crew) got handed the idiot ball- which I don't believe was intentional at all, and is more of a testament to why adding the Maidens plotline may not have been the best idea for the immediate show.

But I've found something that I enjoy a lot and am looking forward to the future of- something that generally doesn't happen with me outside of videogames.

It's certainly not amazing, but it's become something almost special to me- it's something that I'm a fan of. There are things that I like, and there are things I'm a fan of. Harry Potter, Halo- I like those things. Monster Hunter, Fire Emblem,- I'm a fan of those things.

Yeah, I feel the same. I rarely really dig anime/movies/etc., but RWBY is just so charming to me. Actually, I think RWBY has a lot of appeal to me as fighting game enthusiast. The characters have such cool designs, there's such a variety of weapons, there's some hype bouts... there's definitely something there that's distinctly fighting game-esque that I really haven't found in anything else, or at least at that level.

Also, it's (or at least it was before vol 3 >_>) easy to watch. I feel there's a shameless energy to it that's hard not to get excited by~ I understand the criticisms, but for me it's just too creative and fun to nitpick.

concerning character deaths

I like how Roman's death points to change in direction for the show's mood and scope. Kinda made me appreciate the character more, heh

Also Blake, Cinder, and Coco are best girls, fite me.

I'm the One best song.

RWBY has excellent combat, really fun character design, and really picked up the narrative in Volume 3.

[spoiler=Fall]Im pretty certain the reason Qrow didn't recognize them is because he was drunk. I heard this multiple places but can't confirm if it was true.

Yeah, I feel the same. I rarely really dig anime/movies/etc., but RWBY is just so charming to me. Actually, I think RWBY has a lot of appeal to me as fighting game enthusiast. The characters have such cool designs, there's such a variety of weapons, there's some hype bouts... there's definitely something there that's distinctly fighting game-esque that I really haven't found in anything else, or at least at that level.

Also, it's (or at least it was before vol 3 >_>) easy to watch. I feel there's a shameless energy to it that's hard not to get excited by~ I understand the criticisms, but for me it's just too creative and fun to nitpick.

concerning character deaths

I like how Roman's death points to change in direction for the show's mood and scope. Kinda made me appreciate the character more, heh

Fun fact: Roman was meant purely to be a background character for the Yellow trailer. People liked his design, so he was promoted to "secondary antagonist". I'm kinda glad that he's gone- Cinder and Adam are in need of development, and every scene with Roman could've been a scene showing off and potentially fleshing out our two supporting antagonists that are actually staying around.

Well, I'm not going to be like some of the more zealous fans on the subreddit who don't take any criticisms of the show. I have my issues with it, but I really like it overall. I'm pretty optimistic for Volume 4- may even give my episode-by-episode thoughts here once things start in earnest.

I kinda don't like Team CFVY; they're just one more set of side characters to steal the scene on occasion. Sun and Neptune were already underutilized- the most CFVY has done is establish that Mercury's a badass and fill out a few fight scenes.

I'm the One best song.

RWBY has excellent combat, really fun character design, and really picked up the narrative in Volume 3.

[spoiler=Fall]Im pretty certain the reason Qrow didn't recognize them is because he was drunk. I heard this multiple places but can't confirm if it was true.

"i'm the one

that was born in a nightmare a murderer's son

got no gun

but i gleam like a blade and I'm harder than iron"

Definitely one of my favorites.

Edited by The DanMan

I'm the one

Who rose out the filth and was loved by no one

Delusion

I'll steal till youe blind and defeat you from inside your mind.

I also forgot that Volume 3 made me legit excited for a flashback and it's been god knows how long since that happened.

[spoiler=Volume 3] The fight with Amber and Cinder/Em/Merc powers being shown was crazy (and the music "Beginning of the End" got me hype too. Merc having metal legs was a really great reveal and set the stage for the awe in how crazy their plan is.

I'd like to disagree with you, but I've been told by several people before that just jumping onto a thread and telling them they're wrong is needlessly cruel and antagonizes yourself to everyone around you.

I'll just say that if you're just categorically attracted to anime girls and anime tropes, damn all else, there's nothing I can say that'll dissuade you from liking this show.

But I do think your answer to the question of "why is this show so popular" doesn't actually address that question so much as it rationalizes your enjoyment of the show.

I'd like to disagree with you, but I've been told by several people before that just jumping onto a thread and telling them they're wrong is needlessly cruel and antagonizes yourself to everyone around you.

I'll just say that if you're just categorically attracted to anime girls and anime tropes, damn all else, there's nothing I can say that'll dissuade you from liking this show.

But I do think your answer to the question of "why is this show so popular" doesn't actually address that question so much as it rationalizes your enjoyment of the show.

You're making assumptions.

"just categorically attracted to anime girls and anime tropes"? I generally avoid actual anime almost entirely. I also like Red vs Blue slightly more than this (the problem is that the most recent season is a hit-or-miss anthology), and hate "waifu-fags" in general. Also, I guess you haven't seen any of my posts on recent FE games.

And I've seen that answer thrown around a lot in other places; people have enjoyed watching it grow and develop. But first and foremost it's my personal review, in which I will give my personal opinions; of course it would most reflect why I enjoy it.

Is there not a fair bit of criticism throughout the review as well? There are certain tumblr-ish sects who would act like it's perfect, when it definitely has it's flaws.

Honestly, if you're just going to be presumptive about somebody and insinuate things without trying to make conversation, why even comment?

If you don't like it, that's 100% a-o-k with me.

Edited by The DanMan

Darn it.

I'm sorry for being presumptuous and assuming. I genuinely thought I was just stating my position without being rude, and I thought psychological projection was the only way I could argue against this show. I was wrong there.

But I just had to comment. I've been told recently to try and make conversation as much as possible to gain friends/aquaintances, and since this show is something I'm emotionally invested into arguing about, I couldn't resist coming and making a comment here.

Still, I can't emphathize with your enjoyment of this show.

Well, Alan, you enstabilished that you aren't here to spit on what other people find enjoyable, so I'm fairly certain at this point you can say what you want without worrying about anyone taking offense.

As for me, I'm glad I started watching the show just before the start of volume 3. I agree on the overall quality of the animation of volumes 1-2 being not great, fights excluded, and I too noted the reversal at the start of volume 3, with fights being just plain bad and unenjoyable but everything else being better (seriously, Crow's fight was kinda meh, but the ones before are awful).

My favourite fight scene is Pyrrha VS CRDL. If she fought like that in the first match the rest of her team would have been useless.

agree on the overall quality of the animation of volumes 1-2 being not great, fights excluded, and I too noted the reversal at the start of volume 3, with fights being just plain bad and unenjoyable but everything else being better (seriously, Crow's fight was kinda meh, but the ones before are awful).

Really, it was the promise of CG fight scenes that keep people watching this show in the first place, and it's really not going to improve if its only unique factor is going to just get worse from here on out.

Personally, if the people making this show just wanted to make fight scenes with rainbow-colored characters, why is this show not just one-shot fight scenes? That'd get much more appeal than pretending there's any kind of narrative.

Well, Alan, you enstabilished that you aren't here to spit on what other people find enjoyable, so I'm fairly certain at this point you can say what you want without worrying about anyone taking offense.

As for me, I'm glad I started watching the show just before the start of volume 3. I agree on the overall quality of the animation of volumes 1-2 being not great, fights excluded, and I too noted the reversal at the start of volume 3, with fights being just plain bad and unenjoyable but everything else being better (seriously, Crow's fight was kinda meh, but the ones before are awful).

My favourite fight scene is Pyrrha VS CRDL. If she fought like that in the first match the rest of her team would have been useless.

The thing is, everything after Qrow (yes, that's how its spelled) vs Winter was much better than the fight and what came before it. Mercury and Emerald vs Coco and Yatsuhashi was really good, and everything else after that was decent to good. There was a lot of fight scenes spread out over the volume, and the animators had to make do without their lead for most of it.

And they've switched to Maya for Volume 4, which means they have so much more to work with. As somebody who caved and watched an offscreen upload of the RTX 2016/"New Red" trailer, I'm fairly confident in stuff going forward. Volume 3 was highly transitional, but signs point towards things improving moving forward.

Really, it was the promise of CG fight scenes that keep people watching this show in the first place, and it's really not going to improve if its only unique factor is going to just get worse from here on out.

Personally, if the people making this show just wanted to make fight scenes with rainbow-colored characters, why is this show not just one-shot fight scenes? That'd get much more appeal than pretending there's any kind of narrative.

If that's the only thing that kept people watching, then why did it experience such a notable growth in popularity during Volume 3? Why are there a lot of people getting into it just now and enjoying it?

And read the part of my post directed at Enaluxeme in regards to the fight scenes and animation itself.

As for your second point, the people making the show don't "just want to make fight scenes with rainbow-colored characters". Though Volumes 1-3 were heavily outlined, Monty Oum left behind enough notes for an estimated 17 more volumes. He'd planned things far in advance.

It's kinda like what happened with Red VS Blue; The Blood Gulch Chronicles were mostly just comedy and establishing characters. But there were hints and teases towards something much bigger very early on, with The Freelancer Saga fully cashing on that and upping pretty much everything in the show. The Chorus Trilogy was a natural continuation of TFS, acting as a "second arc" of sorts.

RWBY's in that transition from The Blood Gulch Chronicles to The Freelancer Saga.

Question: Why are you emotionally invested into arguing about it?

Edited by The DanMan

I feel like Volume 1 was a bit rough, but I feel like Volume 2 and 3 were a big improvement. But Volume 3 went from light-hearted to dark super fast. Also, I saw that joke. That was messed up.

there's nothing I can say that'll dissuade you from liking this show.

Why would you try to dissuade someone from liking something anyway? Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

I knew it, I... Hmm... Just wanted to see if you were paying attention. Yeah. Honest.

I've also seen "Druncle Qrow" done as "Drunqle Qrow". It's like another Kefka/Cefca Palazzo.

I feel like Volume 1 was a bit rough, but I feel like Volume 2 and 3 were a big improvement. But Volume 3 went from light-hearted to dark super fast. Also, I saw that joke. That was messed up.

Well, comments from Miles and Kerry at RTX have said that the reason for the Volume 4 timeskip is to "show the characters at rock bottom trying to climb their way back out", rather than showing them all hit rock bottom. I'm thinking Volume 4 will end on a somewhat hopeful note.

Also Barbara made one that was even worse; I was tame in comparision.

Yang and Nora are best girls, fite me!

In all seriousness, Volume 4 is super hype. So, has it been confirmed that they're Team RNJR yet wasn't it said that the Volume 4 trailer we saw isn't even the final version? I swear I heard it somewhere.

In all seriousness, Volume 4 is super hype. So, has it been confirmed that they're Team RNJR yet wasn't it said that the Volume 4 trailer we saw isn't even the final version? I swear I heard it somewhere.

Yang and Nora are definitely the best girls.

I don't know the answer to your question though.

Miles officially said "RNJR", so yeah.

And the trailer was confirmed to not be the final version. Considering how good it looked already (that lighting and shading), it can't get much better.

It was also confirmed that they would be going back to the "color trailers" format of volume 1. Yang nightmare sequence incoming.