Question about Character Balance and Total Growth Rates in Fates

gnubz

Does anyone know why the total growth rates of Fates characters differ? I understand that perhaps the royals ought to have a higher total since they're supposed to be OP. But why do Effie and Benny (knights) or Kaze and Kagero (ninjas) have different totals? Does it have to do with percentage allocation, or are the characters inherently imbalanced for whatever reason (and therefore some being statistically destined to be better than others, RNGesus willing)?

Does anyone know why the total growth rates of Fates characters differ? I understand that perhaps the royals ought to have a higher total since they're supposed to be OP. But why do Effie and Benny (knights) or Kaze and Kagero (ninjas) have different totals? Does it have to do with percentage allocation, or are the characters inherently imbalanced for whatever reason (and therefore some being statistically destined to be better than others, RNGesus willing)?

For the most part total growths are affected by unit availability, the level of minmaxing/assumed growth in the optimal class, access to the optimal class, skill access, and unit bases. So while Royals have higher growths than most units about half of them are straight up worse than a lot of the midgrowth tier.

There are some straight up stat backpacks though, namely the entire lowgrowth tier that is not named Arthur.

Edited by joshcja

For the most part total growths are affected by unit availability, the level of minmaxing/assumed growth in the optimal class, access to the optimal class, skill access, and unit bases.

Gotcha. I was just wondering if there was some empirical formula for calculating this, but it doesn't seem like there is since characters are deliberately made to be imbalanced. Thanks a ton!

Gotcha. I was just wondering if there was some empirical formula for calculating this, but it doesn't seem like there is since characters are deliberately made to be imbalanced. Thanks a ton!

This right here. Every character has their own personal growth rates in addition to whatever class they're in.

Gotcha. I was just wondering if there was some empirical formula for calculating this

Not really no, it is based on some form of dev logic in CQ though.

but it doesn't seem like there is since characters are deliberately made to be imbalanced. Thanks a ton!

In CQ it's pretty much Cammy/Odin at the top, 3 stat backpacks (nyx, gunther, keaton), and everyone else is pretty damn solid within their niche in terms of gen 1. Rev/BR are complete shitshows.